Forums > Photography Talk > What is your photography dream job?

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

What type of photographer would you be if you could do it full time?

I'd be a sports photographer shooting multiple sports at the professional and college level.

Jun 27 15 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

Erotic fetish.

Oh wait...I already do it full time so I guess I'm good.  smile

Jun 27 15 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Teaching full time in a BFA or MFA program, with absolutely no intro courses.

Of course not having intro courses would pretty much require me being the chair ... Which means I'll need to do all sorts of administrative work, and watch over other instructors. And potentially fire people.

So, maybe my ideal work load would be Art History 1, Photo 2-4, and a couple specialized Photo courses. Right now I do portrait and advertising classes, but I'd really like to do a Professional Practice class where we focus on image selection and presentation, and making excellent prints. Ideally our final project would be a curated show, where we address a certain theme rather than just show what we did that year.

I'd also like to have booths at all the local art fairs as part of our class.

Figuring out what to actually do with your images is the weakest part of most photographer's skill sets, and I think it's the most interesting. Context is really important, and is usually the difference between landing a commission, poking the bear, and just plain being forgotten.

Probably not a shocker that I'm a teacher for life, for those that have read my posts before. Fame fades and you can only spend so much money, but the feeling that you get in knowing that you're helping people, and that you've built a really strong program that students are fighting to get into is forever.

Jun 27 15 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd like to be the Canadian/Euro answer to Peter Lik, traveling and photographing the natural landscapes and people. With a high end gallery (or 14) with massive, pearlescent or fujiflex prints and the finest framing materials out there. Even if it was not cost effective. There is something intoxicating about the process of printing one's work and seeing it well presented.

Failing that, I'd like to be an in demand photographer's rep, helping them making the sales and assist them in best business practices. Helping them make money with their craft, and align their vision appropriately. I love sales, I love people, negotiating and account management. When I was dipping my toes while working as an Ad director/manager I found a lot of enjoyment seeing how the two departments of creative and operations interplayed.

My health took a downward turn this past couple of years, being outdoors is no longer a realistic lifestyle for me. So If I were to be strictly a photographer, doing photography itself, I would like to be a wedding photographer. Fair amount of creativity, get to travel a little bit to resorts and such, Work with people, surrounded by good times, lots of sales orientated and seeing albums and prints printed.

Or, if my health wasn't a factor.. I'd like to be an extreme sports/mountainbiking/skateboarding/snowboarding photo journalist and write for anyone would would read about all the wild places I'd board/bike.

Jun 27 15 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

retired doing whatever the hell i feel like.

oh im doing that already!

Jun 27 15 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The F-Stop wrote:

Naughty Ties wrote:
Oh wait...I already do it full time so I guess I'm good.  smile

pffft...you guys are cheating ! tongue it's no longer just a dream if you're doing it !

Jun 27 15 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

DarkSlide

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I have it - photojournalist

Jun 27 15 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Fashion photographer for a major clothing line.  < I'm not doing it now! sad

Jun 27 15 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

FEN RIR Photo

Westminster, Colorado, US

I'd like to keep doing what I do, but with corporate sponsorship!  I'd totally sell out for a paycheck and free gear!

Jun 27 15 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Peter House

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I want to be the rockstar photographer who experiences the highest success and then it all spirals out of control and ends up with an E! True Hollywood Story.

Jun 28 15 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

There isn't a particular type of photographer I's like to be. I shoot all kinds of stuff, although I'd like to learn how to shoot more erotic work. In the mean time I'd like to shoot an iconic photograph that represents a genre and that me and the photo will be remembered in perpetuity. Like this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/Legendary_kiss_V%E2%80%93J_day_in_Times_Square_Alfred_Eisenstaedt.jpg

Jun 28 15 03:13 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

This question brings to mind an old Emo Phillips joke where his response to a “breakfast anytime” sign is to ask for French Toast during the Revolution.

If it's a dream then my answer would be to be a street photographer in the fifties, a fashion photographer in the sixties or a rock photographer during the seventies.

Failing that I'll just take assisting Richard Avedon at any time during his career.

Jun 28 15 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Zack Zoll wrote:
Teaching full time in a BFA or MFA program, with absolutely no intro courses.

Of course not having intro courses would pretty much require me being the chair ... Which means I'll need to do all sorts of administrative work, and watch over other instructors. And potentially fire people.

So, maybe my ideal work load would be Art History 1, Photo 2-4, and a couple specialized Photo courses. Right now I do portrait and advertising classes, but I'd really like to do a Professional Practice class where we focus on image selection and presentation, and making excellent prints. Ideally our final project would be a curated show, where we address a certain theme rather than just show what we did that year.

I'd also like to have booths at all the local art fairs as part of our class.

Figuring out what to actually do with your images is the weakest part of most photographer's skill sets, and I think it's the most interesting. Context is really important, and is usually the difference between landing a commission, poking the bear, and just plain being forgotten.

Probably not a shocker that I'm a teacher for life, for those that have read my posts before. Fame fades and you can only spend so much money, but the feeling that you get in knowing that you're helping people, and that you've built a really strong program that students are fighting to get into is forever.

This doesn't count surely?  Is teaching the same as doing or being?

Jun 28 15 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Joshua Morrison

Columbus, Ohio, US

For about the first six years of doing film photography it was working for Sports Illustrated. Walter Iooss is one of my heroes.

Now, I shoot sports on a much smaller level and branching into photojournalism.

Jun 28 15 05:42 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

Architecture . I do a combo of architecture, commercial real estate, business headshots and a few events right now -- so I'm close!

Jun 28 15 05:44 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Photographed models around the world in attractive locations, artistic sites, etc., while having, at the same time, sufficient recognition.

Jun 28 15 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Go to interesting places and go behind the scenes.  Meet interesting people and shoot them.

I guess I do that already  smile

LOL at "French Toast during the Revolution." 
I enjoy the sheer variety of talents, projects, and personalities I encounter every month.   I probably couldn't name an ideal mix.  There are some very well done projects out there I would love to be a part of.  The Lord of the Rings movie comes to mind.  If I shot the same thing every day I would probably get bored.

Jun 28 15 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Derek Ridgers wrote:
This doesn't count surely?  Is teaching the same as doing or being?

The question wasn't about what sort of photo gigs you wanted. The question was what sort of photographer you wanted to be. And since teachers get paid, that makes me professional and a photographer, even if I'm not a 'professional photographer.'

If I had to answer your way, I'd like to be a project-based gallery photographer showing in a mid-sized city like Cleveland or Portland. Maybe the outskirts of Boston, but nothing bigger. I enjoy doing work for the work's sake and trying to ask and answer questions with it, and so long as I could afford film and (massive) prints, I would be happy.

And a place to keep it all. Doesn't need to be midtown, and I don't need a BMW or Vogue covers.

Besides ... Where would we be if nobody wanted to be teachers? Most of the artists history remembers went to school, and the ones that didn't where brought to prominence by gallerists and curators that did go to school. There isn't a single example of a famous critically respected artist from the last century that didn't have school factor in somehow.

Even Grandma Moses, whom I dislike immensely despite being from my area, was at one time promoted my MoMA. I think they'd like to forget that now, but without their overeducated board it never would have happened.

Jun 28 15 09:48 am Link

Photographer

VA Photographer

Richmond, Virginia, US

Sports photographer, especially NFL/NHL/Golf/Tennis

Jun 28 15 10:00 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I would have liked to have been Steve Williams (Tiger Woods' caddy), back in the day with a camera.

Jun 28 15 10:06 am Link

Photographer

SoftlySmile

Austin, Texas, US

I'm not sure I would really dig always being beholden to a single employer; I do know that I daydream all the time that no matter where I go, random individuals would come up to me and say, "Hey, I don't have any really high quality photos of me doing what I do - can you photograph me? I'll pay whatever you hourly rate is". LOL

Personally I'm having the darndest time figuring out how one makes a full-time living shooting nothing but models (which makes up nearly 100% of our portfolios here), at least as a freelancer. I would enjoy that for sure, but economically it seems the place to be is on the model side. Unfortunately I can't do that. :-)

P.S. I can't even imagine how one gets paid full time to shoot 'erotic fetish'. Very different kind of clientele database, I guess. :-)

Jun 28 15 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I knew a guy that did that. Not as his only source of income, but as the major source. This guy shot everything with a FF camera and a 16-35 or whatever the wide angle of the day was too.

I don't know how any of that is sexy, but I wasn't the market. Good for him for finding a niche he can corner, at least locally.

Jun 28 15 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Phoenix Digital Image wrote:
What type of photographer would you be if you could do it full time?

I'd be a sports photographer shooting multiple sports at the professional and college level.

I'd be Mike Disfarmer.

Jun 28 15 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Zack Zoll wrote:
There isn't a single example of a famous critically respected artist from the last century that didn't have school factor in somehow.

I don’t think this is true.  I think you’ll find that there are some artists in the Lowbrow and Outsider Art genres for whom education wasn't a significant factor.  Or at least, not a positive factor.

Jun 28 15 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Derek Ridgers wrote:

I don’t think this is true.  I think you’ll find that there are some artists in the Lowbrow and Outsider Art genres for whom education wasn't a significant factor.  Or at least, not a positive factor.

And they become famous and well-respected how exactly?

Magic? YouTube?

Jun 28 15 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

Solas wrote:

The F-Stop wrote:

pffft...you guys are cheating ! tongue it's no longer just a dream if you're doing it !

Well it was a dream back in 2003....does that count?  lol

Jun 28 15 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

KBStudio

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

High Fashion(Already in progress)
Editorial
Landscape(Already in progress)

Jun 28 15 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

chiamac

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I may go after this in the next few years, but being a in house guy for one of the companies around here. Just not sure how much that would pay at the moment and if giving up the current day job would make that worth while.

More realistically I want to get my landscape work up for sale and hopefully it can help fund travel to do more landscapes, and I want to get my part time work up a bit (headshots and model portfolios) so it pays for all the bills and helps fund more travel - or at the very least to keep paying for the car.

Jun 28 15 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Jun 28 15 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

When I was younger I wanted to shoot for NatGeo.  That was my dream.

These days I primarily shoot advertising and PR for congressman, senators and an occasional judge. It's good work and I enjoy it but it's a path that chose me rather than me choosing it.

Jun 28 15 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Derek Ridgers wrote:

jean-michel basquiat.  no formal education heroin addict great painter.  if you think this is college or formal training you must also be heroin addict.

He was a neo-expressionist painter.  He became famous as a friend/student of the mighty Andy Warhol.

I think he is best remembered for bringing outsider art specifically african and latino art mainstream.

Jun 28 15 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

I'd love to be the ichi ban,, número uno, head chignon photographer for Sports Illistrated!! That's all!!:-)))

Jun 28 15 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

GER Photography wrote:
I'd love to be the ichi ban,, número uno, head chignon photographer for Sports Illistrated!! That's all!!:-)))

What is your favorite sport that you would love to shoot?

Jun 28 15 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

martin b wrote:

What is your favorite sport that you would love to shoot?

Just the Bikini Edition!! :-))) and maybe motor sports as a side. I'm not a subscriber, do they cover motor sports??:-)

Jun 28 15 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

lol

Jun 28 15 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Solas wrote:

✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴
ah... dreams do come true!

Jun 28 15 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

martin b wrote:

jean-michel basquiat.  no formal education heroin addict great painter.  if you think this is college or formal training you must also be heroin addict.

He was a neo-expressionist painter.  He became famous as a friend/student of the mighty Andy Warhol.

I think he is best remembered for bringing outsider art specifically african and latino art mainstream.

And Warhol went to school for art. Basquait was also supported by the Gagiosian gallery and written of very highly in Artforum, both of which are learned institutions.

And now, having made my point, I will exit smile

Jun 28 15 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

Would love to be a full time concert photographer, particularly the reggae scene

Jun 28 15 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Zack Zoll wrote:
And they become famous and well-respected how exactly?
Magic? YouTube?

Your sarcasm doesn’t really help your argument.  Originally you claimed -

Zack Zoll wrote:
There isn't a single example of a famous critically respected artist from the last century that didn't have school factor in somehow.

I was just trying  to make the point that sometimes it wasn't a positive factor.  In the genres I mentioned, those artists almost always succeeded despite their education rather than because of it.

To say that all artists eventually need the assistance of gallerists, curators, publishers, journalists, gallery owners, art patrons etc. that have themselves been educated is undoubtedly true.  But it’s an argument so tenuous as to have no real meaning. 

No one with any sense would argue against education and I wasn’t trying to do that.

Jun 29 15 01:34 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Deep Visions wrote:
Would love to be a full time concert photographer, particularly the reggae scene

Unless you are only ever going to shoot small bands in small clubs, it will be a very frustrating experience.

Photographing big bands in big arenas you normally get the first three songs.  Sometimes only the first song.  During which time the musicians purposely don’t go near the photographers.

Often the bands PR person will tell you exactly where to stand and you’ll be in that spot with many others, all with their elbows out.

You’ll often be 40 feet away with TV cameras and security personnel ranged in front of you.

Then, after your allotted time, the PR person or the security lead you out.  Often not out the front but out the back and at an event like Glastonbury it can take quite a while to get around to the front.  By which time you’ll have missed seeing half the show.

All this and you'll most probably have to sign all your rights away too.

Good luck with all that.  You really, really need to like the music.

Jun 29 15 01:57 am Link