Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > If you had just ONE wish...

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

You are granted one wish that will come true.  What will you wish for?  And no, you can't have more wishes.

World peace?  Would you undo some historic event?  Cure cancer?  Bring back a deceased relative?  Once you think about it, the answer is not as easy as it seems.  With this wish, you have unimaginable power to alter the course of mankind the world over.

What would you wish for?

Jul 01 15 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

A time machine, I'll go forward in time and bring back super advanced tech and claim I invented it so i can sell it to the government for money. Also so I can get a book on World Cups and make massive bets and win on each game. Profit $$$$$

Jul 01 15 01:29 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I'd have my dog back that I put down about 5 years ago.  It's that simple for me.

I know there are bigger issues in the world but I'm of the opinion there always will be. Some of these issues will be brought on by harsh weather conditions. Some by someone's greed. Some by ... you get the idea.  I can spend my one wish making everyone else happy for half a second before they find something else to complain about ... or I can make my life much more tolerable for a few years until the dog dies again (if she dies again).

Some might say this is selfish but I'm not adding to the world's problems by getting this wish. I'm just relieving some of my own.  If a person doesn't believe a dog can solve problems, I invite you to get one.  Feed it, pet it sometimes, make their existence comfortable and they'll love you to death.

Feed it good (people) food sometimes, scratch its back and/or ears, play with it (especially with a ball), go for walks and act like this dog is your friend and that dog will die trying to protect you from whatever threat it perceives. With mine, she would meet me at the top of the steps, tail wagging, joy in her eyes. She didn't care what happened that day or what I was feeling. She was just happy to see me.

Sit, she'd sit for me to pet her. Lay, she'd lay for me to rub her stomach. Outside. She'd run to the back door so she could go outside to do her business. If I put her leash on her, she'd run to the back door without my saying a word because she knew she was going for a walk. When she got back, I'd rub her stomach, fill her food and water dishes and when she was finished eating, she'd come find me to have her ears scratched or stomach rubbed again.

It may seem simple, routine or even trivial but this is definitely something I miss.  When the doorbell would ring, she'd bark, growl, get her hair rolled up on her back and sit at the top of the steps while I went to the door. Any sign of trouble and she was definitely pouncing on someone. Once she found out they were okay with me, her whole demeanor would change and they were only in danger of being dog haired to death.

Jul 01 15 02:53 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

I would also go for the Time Machine.

Start it up and leave this world for far off places.

Jul 01 15 03:58 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Phoenix Digital Image wrote:
You are granted one wish that will come true.  What will you wish for?

Unlimited financial resources!

Everything else, I can do on my own!

Jul 01 15 05:07 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

I'd leave well enough alone. I've seen enough movies where people go back in time, make a minor change which has ripple effects and the whole of the future changes...and not necessarily in a good way.

Jul 01 15 05:10 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
I'd leave well enough alone. I've seen enough movies where people go back in time, make a minor change which has ripple effects and the whole of the future changes...and not necessarily in a good way.

Who says one would go into the past. I'd venture out to the distant future..  Or become a nomad like the Doctor

Jul 01 15 05:50 am Link

Photographer

Feverstockphoto

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

'You have just one wish!' ' I wish to remove from humans and all living things, the notion of a God that communicates or intervenes in life in this or any other universe that may or may not exsist smile.

Jul 01 15 06:37 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Phoenix Digital Image wrote:
You are granted one wish that will come true.
World peace?

I am Shallow Hal; just feed me !!!

Jul 01 15 06:43 am Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Igoumenítsa, Kentriki Ellada, Greece

I wrote a short story about this in College,

Main character finds a Djinn bottle and is granted one wish
being sick of hypocrisy he wishes that for a single day no person on earth could tell a lie

= by dawn the next day, the world is destroyed.

Jul 01 15 07:08 am Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Igoumenítsa, Kentriki Ellada, Greece

Feverstockphoto wrote:
'You have just one wish!' ' I wish to remove from humans and all living things, the notion of a God that communicates or intervenes in life in this or any other universe that may or may not exsist smile.

We are the only species that creates our own creators...

Jul 01 15 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Feverstockphoto

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

The Grey Forest wrote:

As far as we are aware of.

Jul 01 15 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

udor wrote:

Except good luck trying to find a great woman that will love you for you and not for your unlimited financial recources...

Jul 01 15 07:27 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

The Grey Forest wrote:
I wrote a short story about this in College,

Main character finds a Djinn bottle and is granted one wish
being sick of hypocrisy he wishes that for a single day no person on earth could tell a lie

= by dawn the next day, the world is destroyed.

They did this in a movie called "Martians Go Home"

Similar results ensued, only no destruction.

Jul 04 15 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd prevent myself from having the accident that is costing me 5-10k grand a year in medical expenses to treat.. sad never cure

Jul 04 15 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

My first thought would be to require that all Congresspeople to spend 3 months living on minimum wage without access to outside financial help. 

But I figured that would be too cruel.

So, I would wish to remove the influence of money on US politics.

Jul 04 15 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Dream-foto

Chico, California, US

Child Bankrupts Make-A-Wish Foundation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2OObOM3R_U

Jul 04 15 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I would bring back my mom.......I could cure cancer but then people who have other things would be left out. so seeing as I cant save the world with my one wish, I guess I will be selfish and bring back mom. honestly I wouldnt feel right having one wish that can come true and not use it to have my mother back from death.

Jul 04 15 09:09 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

udor wrote:

Chris Rifkin wrote:
Except good luck trying to find a great woman that will love you for you and not for your unlimited financial recources...

That is not hard as you would think.

I was never someone who would flaunt it and buying all expensive toys, flashing wealth... most people wouldn't know about my financial condition... they'd know that I don't have to worry, but not how little I'd have to worry.

Even when I did have money (never total unlimited resources, but rather well off) my range of friends reached from very wealthy and influential, including UN representatives and consuls, to "regular" people, like my plumber buddy and everything in between.

Not wanting to have unlimited resources, because you might not find a real partner, who loves you for you and not the money is a very limited thinking pattern.

Jul 05 15 03:24 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Mind control.
Done.

@udor:
Agreed.
I don't know why only money should make sexy and people care about you...
Looks do.
Success does.
So does money as it reflects success. Bright eyes and a bushy tail does too..
Nobody really likes anybody right off the bat because they "have such a good heart or giving character".
First thing you'll see is if I'm healthy and well dressed, or if I'm some poor crack ho. Hence, money makes attractive. Nothing terrible about it.
The female of the species will seek out the biggest, healthiest, and "best off" male of the species each time, not a gimpy runt who's just circling in the periphery.

Jul 05 15 05:37 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

What I dislike about being a human and just dying going into the ground is that I don't get to find out what happens to us eventually. I'd love to have that opportunity to see what actually happens to our fate as a species.

Jul 05 15 06:02 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Dream-foto wrote:

did you happen to notice the source?

Jul 05 15 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Model Sarah wrote:
What I dislike about being a human and just dying going into the ground is that I don't get to find out what happens to us eventually. I'd love to have that opportunity to see what actually happens to our fate as a species.

Eventually we all die or leave the planet I figure. Then dominate other planets or ascend into the universe itself big_smile

Jul 05 15 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Dream-foto wrote:

Is this a joke, April 1 has gone this year mad

Jul 05 15 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

No brainer.  I would wish for unlimited wishes.

Jul 05 15 08:59 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I would wish that the wisest wish that we could choose be granted...

My own personal variation trying to escape the infamous wish "catch-22's" and "be careful what you wish for" conundrums.

Strangely enough, I've never had a chance to find out if this particular strategy would actually work in practice... wink

Jul 05 15 02:27 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Solas wrote:
Eventually we all die or leave the planet I figure. Then dominate other planets or ascend into the universe itself big_smile

I meant HOW we die off as a species. We're not smart enough to colonize another planet and I highly doubt we ever will be. We don't ascend into anything we just die. I'm curious how it happens.

Jul 05 15 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

What would you wish for?

pe
ace on Mars

Jul 05 15 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

To be completely sound of body and mind, that is my wish.

Jul 05 15 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:
Mind control.
Done.

Mind control seems sort of dilute to me, first you need minds and those seem few and far between.

I would prefer body control by far. There seems to be much greater potential for fulfillment.

I could have bodies to do my menial tasks, bodies to generate needed income, bodies to transport my personal howdah to lofty peaks so I can calmly sit and think about stuff, and of course there would be "special" bodies selected for higher purposes.

If you were lucky you would never meet me!!!

tongue

Jul 05 15 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

i like the time machine!

Jul 06 15 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Photos 4 The Memories

Kewaskum, Wisconsin, US

This came to mind
https://youtu.be/r_p6DoWIFqU?list=PLcj- … uzjKrZel2l
But I would just ask for 3 more wishes.

Jul 06 15 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Wish for Genie
Then get more wishes

Jul 06 15 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

Photos 4 The Memories  wrote:
This came to mind
https://youtu.be/r_p6DoWIFqU?list=PLcj- … uzjKrZel2l
But I would just ask for 3 more wishes.

are you a fan? cause I am a pretty big night ranger fan...totally underrated...anyways they played in utica,ny right near me outside at the downtown saranac beer brewery a couple years ago and they rocked. they played all their hits and a bunch of covers like Jump from Van Halen.crowd loved them.

Jul 06 15 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Financial independence.  Not even that much.  Around $80,000 a year would be fine and dandy withe me.

I think it'd be far more interesting if you took money out of the equation.  No wishes of money.

So, I'd go for focused, controllabe ESP.  I don't want everyone's thoughts flooding my head. I want to focus on one person.

Edit: So, it says you can't ask for more wishes, but half you guys want more wishes.  Fucking greedy dicks!  You only get one!  Fuck!

Jul 07 15 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Carlos Occidental wrote:
You only get one!  Fuck!

o
nly one  fuck?

thats fuckd up

Jul 07 15 01:30 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

The Power of Suggestion

Jul 07 15 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

r T p wrote:

o
nly one  fuck?

your wish is my command....

FUCK!

Jul 07 15 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Alexandria Georgiades

Sierra Vista, Arizona, US

The Grey Forest wrote:

true

I'd wish for endless wishes

Jul 08 15 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

a cubs world series victory. even a genie couldn't pull that one off.

Jul 08 15 05:58 pm Link