Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Why models get on MM if not serious

Photographer

Nicholas Luke

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I message models regarding a paid shoot and out of 20 models around 5 will respond, even if they are not interested. what's worse are models who say yes and are interested, but then they never respond to any follow up messages. Why do they bother setting up a profile on MM and aren't willing to work or act professionally?
You know how YouTube has a like and dislike button MM should have a "Flake" icon to click on to let other photographers know how serious that model is

Jul 29 15 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

OP......Sometimes it is not them.

Jul 29 15 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Maybe this? Oh tee hee, I can be a model, look at meeeee! Oh wait....this is actual work. Uh ohs.

Jul 29 15 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

A lot of them are putting their toes in the water to test the temperature. It doesn't take long for many to find out the water is too hot or too cold.

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Jul 29 15 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It usually starts with a conversation like this:

Girl A: Baby, you're so cute, you should be a model!
Girl B: Really? You think I can?
Girl A: Oh HELL Yeah. I've heard of this website called Model Mayhem, where you can post a bunch of photos of yourself and apply for modeling jobs and everything. It's an easy way to make money and with your looks, you can do it!
Girl B: Sounds like fun. I'll give it a shot.

The next thing you know, Girl B opens an account and within 1 hour already has friend requests from photographers, usually over 200 miles away, but the comments she starts getting like, "You're totally hot. I'd love to shoot with you sometime!" start pouring in. A few local photographers see she's new and offer her some gigs. It's really scary but she does a shoot with one of them, and he turns out to be a real perv. Then she starts getting 10 perv emails a day, and then you come along. See the issue here?

VERY few, I'd say less than 1% of the models on here are actually in this professionally. Most are part-timers who do this to make a few bucks on the side and that's it. The rest are here to act like they could be models but really just opened an account because their friend pushed them into it.

Jul 29 15 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Nicholas Luke wrote:
I message models regarding a paid shoot and out of 20 models around 5 will respond, even if they are not interested. what's worse are models who say yes and are interested, but then they never respond to any follow up messages. Why do they bother setting up a profile on MM and aren't willing to work or act professionally?
You know how YouTube has a like and dislike button MM should have a "Flake" icon to click on to let other photographers know how serious that model is

they aren't flaking if they don't respond. there is no law that says they have to respond.

show them a portfolio and a photographer that they feel are worth their time and do trade shoots.

and be patient. their life comes first.

Jul 29 15 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Moderator Note!
Rants do not belong in the industry forums.

Thread moved.

Jul 30 15 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Nicholas Luke wrote:

That is very close to the percentages of models that respond to my messages.   The realization is that most are on Facebook.  So now I try locating a Facebook link of models on here, then go there to communicate.  They are far more likely to respond on Facebook with the far superior messaging system.  No joke! That's where I am currently in the process of planning a shoot with a traveling model who also has a profile here.

Jul 30 15 01:20 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Nicholas Luke wrote:

This has been beaten to death in so many other threads. Not feasible due to subjectivity, verifiability, and vulnerability to abuse.

What's to stop the model from claiming you were the one who flaked?

Jul 30 15 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

They coming expecting a fast buck
Once they realize the effort required, they bugger off

Jul 30 15 04:58 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Show them the money.......

Jul 30 15 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
...This has been beaten to death in so many other threads...

+1

Jul 30 15 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Nicholas Luke wrote:
Why do they bother setting up a profile on MM and aren't willing to work or act professionally?

Where do you suggest inexperienced newbies go to dip their toe in the pool?

Nicholas Luke wrote:

YouTube "Dislike" is nothing like a hypothetical MM "Flake" button.

How do we know that you and not the model is the flake?

Say, you still owe me $50.  Remember I paid for your visit to the clinic for that shot?  Pay up.

Jul 30 15 08:23 am Link

Photographer

siloxr

Carbon Hill, Alabama, US

Nicholas Luke wrote:
Why do they bother setting up a profile on MM and aren't willing to work or act professionally?

Did you miss the part where this isn't a well known modeling agency?  MM's closer to Craigslist than it is to Ford (not hating on the site, that low bar is how I was able to get in and hopefully one of the pathways to gaining more experience, but I'm real about what this website is).

Temper your expectations and keep at it.  Over time, if you can keep from throwing out the babies with the bath water, you'll eventually get a group of people that you can count on to work with...if they're still willing to work with you.  Letting yourself get flustered and ranting about it you're not really making yourself look all that good or professional.

Jul 30 15 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
They coming expecting a fast buck
Once they realize the effort required, they bugger off

Yeah, that is just about right.  or they realized that there are so many awesome talented models on MM, they won't make it if they try.

Jul 30 15 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Connor Photography wrote:

Yeah, that is just about right.  or they realized that there are so many awesome talented models on MM, they won't make it if they try.

There are some very awesome talented models on MM.  I've worked with some of them.

Jul 30 15 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Connor Photography wrote:

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
There are some very awesome talented models on MM.  I've worked with some of them.

X1000. 

To that if I may, there are countless talented photographers here on MM too.  They are not only talented and excel on their art, they are so willing to share to their knowledge.  That is most admirable quality in my book.  smile

Jul 30 15 09:17 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I have had photographers e-mail me and say they want to work with me and then they disappear. It happens, don't take it personally. Spend your time finding ones who WILL work with you.

Jul 30 15 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

As one lives and learns, one comes to realize that no response is a response and there is no need to get butt hurt because a person sends someone a message and they didn't respond. There could be many factors.

While it is fully possible that a person sets up a profile, does one shoot (if that) and "retires". Maybe they don't delete their account but they never log into MM again. I would say these people *are* serious ... they're just not serious about shooting. They're serious about not shooting.

One learns, when browsing, to limit the search to those models who have logged in at some point in the last X days (2, 10, 30, etc). I personally use 10 days as it's a little over a week. 30 is sometimes long enough for a person to go into their hiatus.

So my advice is simple: relax, breathe deeply, move on to the next model. As a newbie on MM, I must've contacted 20 models before one agreed to shoot with me. Of course, my portfolio was terrible, I had no references for them to contact AND I was yet to develop a really professional way to contact them (while appropriate, it wasn't inspiring).  After the first one, it got significantly easier. There are still those that won't respond but I say it's better to not respond than agree to shoot and not show up.

Jul 30 15 09:29 am Link

Model

dark Satyr

Miami, Florida, US

Because in our culture, fakery and flakery are the norm.

Aug 01 15 04:16 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Shot By Adam wrote:

The next thing you know, Girl B opens an account and within 1 hour already has friend requests from photographers, usually over 200 miles away, but the comments she starts getting like, "You're totally hot. I'd love to shoot with you sometime!" start pouring in. A few local photographers see she's new and offer her some gigs. It's really scary but she does a shoot with one of them, and he turns out to be a real perv. Then she starts getting 10 perv emails a day, and then you come along. See the issue here?

There was a wave similar to this for myself when I joined and I was over 45 when I came here. After the initial wave past I shot a little more and navigated past that. Another woman I know local to me then joined to model also, shot a lot and then seemed to disappear, removing her online modeling presence nearly overnight.

Jen

edit: yes to searching to only the most recent activity

Aug 01 15 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jen B wrote:
There was a wave similar to this for myself when I joined and I was over 45 when I came here. After the initial wave past I shot a little more and navigated past that. Another woman I know local to me then joined to model also, shot a lot and then seemed to disappear, removing her online modeling presence nearly overnight.

Jen

edit: yes to searching to only the most recent activity

I still want to work with you.  I just have to find the time to get down there.   smile

Aug 01 15 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Charles Howse

Vero Beach, Florida, US

siloxr wrote:
Did you miss the part where this isn't a well known modeling agency?  MM's closer to Craigslist than it is to Ford (not hating on the site, that low bar is how I was able to get in and hopefully one of the pathways to gaining more experience, but I'm real about what this website is).

Temper your expectations and keep at it.  Over time, if you can keep from throwing out the babies with the bath water, you'll eventually get a group of people that you can count on to work with...if they're still willing to work with you.  Letting yourself get flustered and ranting about it you're not really making yourself look all that good or professional.

++1

Aug 01 15 08:13 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

That's because you've got lots of $$$ to pay them.

Aug 01 15 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

WIP wrote:

That's because you've got lots of $$$ to pay them.

Not lots but enough.

Aug 01 15 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

Why do they bother setting up a profile on MM ?

FREE is a four letter word.

Aug 01 15 03:37 pm Link