Forums > Photography Talk > Good Rechargeable batteries for external flashes?

Photographer

EXCOGITATE Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

What are some good reusable batteries for external flush units such as the Nikon SB800, Vivitar 285HV flashes? etc..
Thanks in advance.....

Aug 19 15 07:30 am Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

Eneloops. Look no further.

Aug 19 15 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Unless you want to save some money, then buy the Amazon Basics High-capacity rechargeables, which are widely considered to be rebadged Eneloops, but often go on sale for substantially less.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High … +batteries

Aug 19 15 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Joshua Morrison

Columbus, Ohio, US

I second the eneloops. Watch for sales on amazon because they happen a lot.

Aug 19 15 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Joshua Morrison Photography wrote:
I second the eneloops. Watch for sales on amazon because they happen a lot.

After 10 years of hearing how good Eneloops are, I finally got some.

Got 10AA and 4AAA with a charger for $31 on Amazon.  That's less expensive than the cheap EverReady rechargeables you can get in a store.

Aug 19 15 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Michael Alestra

MOUNT ROYAL, New Jersey, US

doing more wedding work i've been looking into these, how long does the charge last with respect to traditional disposal battery life?

Aug 19 15 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Michael Alestra wrote:
doing more wedding work i've been looking into these, how long does the charge last with respect to traditional disposal battery life?

If you are doing wedding shoot, how long the battery will hold charge us irrelevant because you would charge your battery the night before.  But I can tell you, Eneloop will recycle your flash faster than alkaline will.   I am still using my Eneloops that I bought 8 years ago.

Aug 19 15 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

After 10 years of hearing how good Eneloops are, I finally got some.

Got 10AA and 4AAA

Geez.... that is not enough.  I have about 20 each.  smile

Aug 19 15 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Kjos Photography

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Yup, Eneloops

I like the Maha charger too (available on Amazon), it has a slow and fast cycle.
The slow cycle isn't as hard on batteries as the fast charge is.

I love how they hold a charge for so long before use. I keep 4 packs in my flash kit, recharge them after a shoot.

Aug 19 15 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I have the Maha charger that charges 8 batteries.  It has separate circuits for each so that each battery is charged individually.

Aug 19 15 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

WCR3 wrote:
Eneloops.

/thread

Aug 19 15 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

I agree the Eneloops are good, but Maha Powerex batteries have higher ma ratings than the Eneloops. Combined with the Maha chargers, they just keep on going (I have Eneloop and Powerex). Newegg is a good source for information.

Aug 19 15 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Keep in mind that not all Eneloops are the same.

For flash work I'd strongly suggest the Eneloop Pro (also known as Eneloop XXX) versions.  At least if you want the ones that established Eneloops reputation for longer shooting sessions and the faster flash recycle times (especially later during a long session).

AmazonBasics have both the Eneloop Pro rebranded batteries AND ones that are made in China.  The ones with the white tops are Eneloop Pros.  The black ones that specifically say "Made in Japan" are rebranded Eneloops.  The black ones that no longer mention where they're made are from China (look the same and go on sale frequently).

Aug 19 15 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Phantasmal Images

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Eneloop

Although personally I've switched to the Godox speedlights with built in lithium batteries, so much better. But for the two non-Godox speedlights I use when I need them, I use Eneloops, also use Eneloops in my triggers.

Aug 19 15 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

fussgangerfoto

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Just piling on the Eneloop bandwagon.

Fully charged, they work all day and night. Always bring spares, though, as with everything.

Aug 19 15 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

cheshiredave

Oakland, California, US

picturesbyBrent wrote:
I agree the Eneloops are good, but Maha Powerex batteries have higher ma ratings than the Eneloops. Combined with the Maha chargers, they just keep on going (I have Eneloop and Powerex). Newegg is a good source for information.

Second the Powerex batteries. Great charger, awesome batteries. I have 16 AAs, which easily last me for a five-hour event. You can easily get Powerex on Amazon.

I have regular Eneloops and like them for household items, but I wasn't impressed with their performance in my flashes. I didn't know about higher-end Eneloops, though.

Aug 19 15 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Michael Alestra wrote:

Longer than a regular battery. Google them for the explanation.

Aug 19 15 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Happy Guy Photos

Upland, California, US

Eneloops are the best. Look no further.

Aug 19 15 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Happy Guy Photos

Upland, California, US

Oops ... double post.

Aug 19 15 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Decided to check out some 2015 comparison test reviews as it's been a while since I last checked...

- Eneloop Pro's / XXX -  Still unmatched for "during a shoot" performance (faster flash recycle time, how the recycle time stands up over a long shoot, the number of shots for the charge, etc).   The downside (there's ALWAYS a trade-off)? The Pro's / XXX version can only be recharged 500 times over its lifetime. 

- Eneloop's (regular)  - A good choice for general rechargeable battery use.  Not as good "during a shoot" flash performance, but can be recharged 2,000 times over its lifetime (I use these for non-flash use).  Much better than the typical, run of the mill rechargeable batteries.

- Powerex Imedion - Somewhere in between the 2 above and it's claimed that it's generally at a lower price (I haven't put that claim to the test).  Doesn't match the Eneloop Pro's / XXX "during a shoot" performance, but does better than the regular Eneloops in that category.  No consistent reports as to how many times it can be recharged over its lifetime, but it seems to be agreed that it has more recharge cycles than the higher performance Eneloop Pro's / XXX, but fewer than the regular Eneloops.

So, not surprisingly, it seems to depend on what features you value most.  Personally I go for the "during a shoot" performance realizing that I'm trading off that performance against the 500 recharge cycle life expectancy.

Aug 19 15 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Alestra

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

Longer than a regular battery. Google them for the explanation.

thanks. i know how many disposables i bring, im just wondering if i need to bring more or less eneloops with me. seems the same amount would be fine.

Aug 20 15 05:30 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Oops, I missed one key stat...

During a shoot, the Eneloop Pro's will last 25% longer (more storage capacity for each charge) than the regular Eneloop's.  That greater storage capacity goes a long way in explaining some of their other "during a shoot" performance advantages.

Aug 20 15 08:34 am Link

Photographer

CinderellaUndercover

San Antonio, Texas, US

Always check the mAh (milliamp hour) rating of the battery. This is how much juice it can put out for how long. Higher is better.

Lenmar - 2700 mAh
Maha Powerex - 2700 mAh
Eneloop Pro - 2550 mAh
Powerex Imedion - 2400 mAh
Eneloop - 2000 mAh

Aug 21 15 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

While a higher capacity (mAh) is a welcome news for the backpackers and off shore sailing sailors.  For wedding photographers and alikes, it make no difference.  If any sign of slowing down in recharging the flash, one can easily switch batteries in 30 sec.  So I buy the cheapest Eneloops.  smile

Aug 21 15 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

If you have a Costco locally then they have Enloop pack with 8 aa and 4 aaa and a charger for 25 bucks. this I dare say cannot be beat otherwise I agree with the amazon basics. I have some of those and they have been great. also I have a mess of the Edison ones that come with the Yongnuo 560 packs and they have all done wonderfully I haven't yet broken any of these brands in a few years use except the Yongnuo with I have only had a short while so I cannot yet say. when any of them start giving me flack I'll get a smart charger.

We live in good times

Aug 21 15 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Bephoto

Buffalo, Texas, US

Another vote for Eneloops! I also recommend a good charger; I use a Maha PowerEx C9000.

Aug 21 15 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Klein Photo

Buffalo Grove, Illinois, US

Powerex 2700s and either the Maha C800s Charger or the MH-C204F charger for either Double AA or Triple AAA batteries are tough to beat.

Aug 25 15 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Another vote for Enerloop batteries.

I bought a Pearstone battery charger a while ago because of recommendations on MM. It works great. Its now sold under the "Watson" brand name

http://www.poweredbywatson.com/detail?sku=761843

Aug 28 15 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

EXCOGITATE Photography wrote:
What are some good reusable batteries for external flush units such as the Nikon SB800, Vivitar 285HV flashes? etc..
Thanks in advance.....

As you can see, it's a no brainer. The eneloops are the best, par none. It's not the capacity that's important, it's how long a rechargeable battery holds it's charge. There are many who just don't get it. 

If you can get a La Crosse Technology battery charger you're getting best charger!

I have the La Crosse BC-9009 charger but I believe it's no longer being made. They may have replaced it with a newer version.

Aug 28 15 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Bare Essential Photos wrote:

As you can see, it's a no brainer. The eneloops are the best, par none. It's not the capacity that's important, it's how long a rechargeable battery holds it's charge. There are many who just don't get it. 

If you can get a La Crosse Technology battery charger you're getting best charger!

I have the La Crosse BC-9009 charger but I believe it's no longer being made. They may have replaced it with a newer version.

Looks like it has been replaced with the BC-1000 model.

Aug 30 15 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

Steinberg Photo wrote:

Looks like it has been replaced with the BC-1000 model.

Yes, they now have the BC-700 and BC-1000 chargers.

Aug 30 15 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Alestra

any thoughts on the amazon high capacity 2400mAh? they are less than the eneloop 1900mAh. im leery of the amazon reviews who say they are as good as the eneloops or better.

Sep 22 15 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Michael Alestra wrote:
any thoughts on the amazon high capacity 2400mAh? they are less than the eneloop 1900mAh. im leery of the amazon reviews who say they are as good as the eneloops or better.

The AmazonBasics high capacity 2400 mHa (the versions that say "made in Japan") ARE the Eneloop Pro's.  Definitely recommended for flashes.

Two factors on the price comparison with the non high capacity versions:

- The high capacity (which is much better for flash recycle times / length of the shoot) can only be recharged 500 times, compared to (from memory) 2,000 times on the non high capacity Eneloops (non pro)

- In Canada the AmazonBasics high capacity suddenly dropped to a great deal of a price. Then, not long after, they disappeared completely from the Amazon Canada listings.  So I can't help worrying that Amazon may be dropping the Eneloop Pro version of the AmazonBasics high capacity AA.  Or that they are doing what they did with the non high capacity version where they started shifting to a non-Eneloop Chinese made version.  So it may be a clearance price.  I certainly hope not!

Sep 22 15 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley

Los Angeles, California, US

LightDreams wrote:

The AmazonBasics high capacity 2400 mHa (the versions that say "made in Japan") ARE the Eneloop Pro's.  Definitely recommended for flashes.

Two factors on the price comparison with the non high capacity versions:

- The high capacity (which is much better for flash recycle times / length of the shoot) can only be recharged 500 times, compared to (from memory) 2,000 times on the non high capacity Eneloops (non pro)

- In Canada the AmazonBasics high capacity suddenly dropped to a great deal of a price. Then, not long after, they disappeared completely from the Amazon Canada listings.  So I can't help worrying that Amazon may be dropping the Eneloop Pro version of the AmazonBasics high capacity AA.  Or that they are doing what they did with the non high capacity version where they started shifting to a non-Eneloop Chinese made version.  So it may be a clearance price.  I certainly hope not!

^^^^ this.

Sep 24 15 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

NaturaLight Artisan Photography

San Diego, California, US

Been using IMEDION PowerEx 2700mAh for years. Their Low Self Discharge feature is nice if you're not constantly shooting.

Sep 25 15 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Pa A

Bandung, Jawa Barat, Indonesia

I have several dozens of 2000Mah Eneloops lying around for my SB800's and SB910 + SD8 and SD9 external batterypacks, and radiotriggers

Have used them much to my satisfaction, work great, and hold their charge even when left unused for a longer period

Lately though I have started using them much less though, after I got a couple of Godox PB960 batterypacks (only need four Eneloops per speedlight to power the internal electronics, the juice for the actual flash is drawn from the powerpacks, and some for the radiotriggers))

Especially when much performance is demanded of the speedlights (eg when using multiple flash units, on stands and with radio triggers, in large venues, or outside for fill though umbrella's etc) the SD8 and SD9's can't keep up when shooting fast.
While the Propac's (which can accommodate up to two speedlights per pack) can, with very short recycle times and much more capacity/flashes per fully charged powerpack.

Sep 25 15 04:30 pm Link