Forums > Photography Talk > Agency standard polaroids photos

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

What does it mean to you in today's fashion world?

I think it should be face shot, full body front and side full profile in undies or tight jeans and tank top, no make up, no post work in JPG file format.

or in real Polaroid film???

Aug 27 15 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Connor Photography wrote:
What does it mean to you in today's fashion world?

I think it should be face shot, full body front and side full profile in undies or tight jeans and tank top, no make up, no post work in JPG file format.

or in real Polaroid film

undies? why not a bikini?

Aug 27 15 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:
undies? why not a bikini?

that will be fine with me. BTW, hair's up too.    But that was not my question

Aug 27 15 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Newcomb Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Not in real Polaroid film.  The "digital" Polaroids should show the Agency/Client a full body, 3/4 and head shot.  Frontal and profile.  Undies or Bikini or other tight skimpy outfit.  The agency/client is looking to see current neckline, arms, shoulders, legs,  etc. to figure out how the clothes will hang off this size 2 and/or whether to sign.

Aug 27 15 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Photomezzo

Venice, California, US

Almost every agency has a "Polaroids" section for each model. Just check them out for the area
you are shooting in. And yes, a lot of agencies still use polaroid/fuji.

Aug 27 15 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1twintowersfs.jpg
Fabiane and me in a "selfie" from the film days (we didn't know what to call them then!)
Sadly, a couple of months after we made the trip to have Fabiane placed with a New York agency, the two buildings in the background were ...well, you know the rest.

Really, real Polaroid pictures? I haven't seen a Polaroid camera in an agency (or any where for that matter) in many, many years. Can you even get film any more?

However, yes (although they are actually digital images  badly shot with cell phones), and virtually all models have them done regularly. Why? Hair length and color, no tattoos (or at least no new tattoos), no weight gain (hopefully), etc. I worked with a model for many years who was frequently doing shows for Oscar de la Renta, and they always had her come to the castings. It drove her crazy, she said I show up, the director just waves at me and says "the show is Friday, be there at 5 PM!" I mean, like why do I have to go? They do know what I look like!

Yes Fabiane, they know what you used to look like. The minute you walk in they know you are still Fabiane, and that's all they needed to know. You didn't get a Mohawk hair cut, you didn't gain 30 pounds, and you didn't have a tattoo of the Aztec Sun God drawn on your face. But unless you go to the casting they don't know that.

And that's why the models are always having new digital's put on their portfolio page.

John

PS: Famously Linda Evangelista had the most interesting line on her comp card, "Hair: Check First". Comp Cards? Well if you know who Linda Evangelista is, you will remember comp cards.
--
John L. Fisher
700 Euclid Avenue, Suite 110
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Aug 27 15 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

John Fisher wrote:
Fabiane and me in a "selfie" from the film days (we didn't know what to call them then!)
Sadly, a couple of months after we made the trip to have Fabiane placed with a New York agency, the two buildings in the background were ...well, you know the rest.

Really, real Polaroid pictures? I haven't seen a Polaroid camera in an agency (or any where for that matter) in many, many years. Can you even get film any more?

However, yes (although they are actually digital images  badly shot with cell phones), and virtually all models have them done regularly. Why? Hair length and color, no tattoos (or at least no new tattoos), no weight gain (hopefully), etc. I worked with a model for many years who was frequently doing shows for Oscar de la Renta, and they always had her come to the castings. It drove her crazy, she said I show up, the director just waves at me and says "the show is Friday, be there at 5 PM!" I mean, like why do I have to go? They do know what I look like!

Yes Fabiane, they know what you used to look like. The minute you walk in they know you are still Fabiane, and that's all they needed to know. You didn't get a Mohawk hair cut, you didn't gain 30 pounds, and you didn't have a tattoo of the Aztec Sun God drawn on your face. But unless you go to the casting they don't know that.

And that's why the models are always having new digital's put on their portfolio page.

John

PS: Famously Linda Evangelista had the most interesting line on her comp card, "Hair: Check First". Comp Cards? Well if you know who Linda Evangelista is, you will remember comp cards.
--
John L. Fisher
700 Euclid Avenue, Suite 110
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

isn't a selfie primarily just of the self? hence the name?

i think you took a we-fie....or an us-ie.....

Aug 27 15 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

John Fisher wrote:

Hey John!  How come you always get to do the interesting images?  Huh?  Huh?  How come?

Aug 28 15 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Newcomb Photography wrote:
Not in real Polaroid film.  The "digital" Polaroids should show the Agency/Client a full body, 3/4 and head shot.  Frontal and profile.  Undies or Bikini or other tight skimpy outfit.  The agency/client is looking to see current neckline, arms, shoulders, legs,  etc. to figure out how the clothes will hang off this size 2 and/or whether to sign.

Thanks, good to know.

Aug 28 15 10:54 am Link

Model

Shei P

Brooklyn, New York, US

Typical agency submittal digitals (polas) https://www.howtobeamodelblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Lilly-polaroid-comp.jpg

Not to be confused with "digitals" your agency takes of a model for their website/insta/FB etc

Aug 28 15 12:07 pm Link