Forums > General Industry > getting a big celebrity agent

Model

Stella Sidney

Los Angeles, California, US

So! I'm currently looking for an agent in LA that has a high imdb rating and actually has some clientele of prominence. Think william morris, caa, united artists, paradigm, etc. anyone have any information?

thaaaaaaaaaanks

Aug 30 15 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Post hidden on Aug 30, 2015 01:17 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Troll dolls are cute. Troll posts are not.

Aug 30 15 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

Mousseline wrote:
So! I'm currently looking for an agent in LA that has a high imdb rating and actually has some clientele of prominence. Think william morris, caa, united artists, paradigm, etc. anyone have any information?

thaaaaaaaaaanks

Contact the agencies you want to work with, see what happens?

Also, do your homework (google search, research, etc)

Aug 30 15 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Is this for acting or modeling?

Aug 30 15 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I have information.
Lots of it.
What kind do you believe would be helpful?
What are you trying to get at?

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

this.

Aug 30 15 09:50 am Link

Model

Stella Sidney

acting of course. William Morris, Creative Artists Agency all cast mainstream television and film.

Aug 30 15 10:07 am Link

Model

Stella Sidney

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
I have information.
Lots of it.
What kind do you believe would be helpful?
What are you trying to get at?

this.

names would be helpful, trying to get a referral!

Aug 30 15 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Mousseline wrote:

acting of course. William Morris, Creative Artists Agency all cast mainstream television and film.

Why do you think that there is a trick or secret? There is an extensive amount of information about working in the acting/entertainment industry. There are auditions, showcases, acting ensembles/workshops etc. where performers gain both experience and contacts. If you consider those tricks or secrets--feel free. Otherwise it is a pursuit that requires diligence and effort. Possibly those are the tricks and secrets.

Aug 30 15 10:48 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Mousseline wrote:

names would be helpful, trying to get a referral!

I don't think that anybody on MM would be willing to put their neck out for you and refer you to a personal contact, except for the one or two people who have actually met you.

One influential MM member got even stood up by you.

Follow the advise and do your research via Google, look at their submission guidelines etc.

Good luck!

Aug 30 15 11:04 am Link

Model

Stella Sidney

udor wrote:

I don't think that anybody on MM would be willing to put their neck out for you and refer you to a personal contact, except for the one or two people who have actually met you.

One influential MM member got even stood up by you.

Follow the advise and do your research via Google, look at their submission guidelines etc.

Good luck!

I've rejected offers but I've never stood anyone up, ever.

Aug 30 15 07:51 pm Link

Model

Stella Sidney

Dan Howell wrote:

Why do you think that there is a trick or secret? There is an extensive amount of information about working in the acting/entertainment industry. There are auditions, showcases, acting ensembles/workshops etc. where performers gain both experience and contacts. If you consider those tricks or secrets--feel free. Otherwise it is a pursuit that requires diligence and effort. Possibly those are the tricks and secrets.

There's a big difference between casting a local play and a martin Scorsese film, and I want to meet the people who are doing the latter.

Aug 30 15 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Mousseline wrote:

There's a big difference between casting a local play and a martin Scorsese film, and I want to meet the people who are doing the latter.

Casting doesn't work that way. Getting an agent is simple-they either view a reel or it is just the headshot that causes them to want to meet you. Agents in Hollywood are very aggressive. Very. You can send them a headshot and resume and they won't be offended. They might not respond. You have to go to open castings at every chance you get and you have to bring your headshot. It's like your business card. Expecting someone on MM to refer you to an agent is something that is unlikely to happen. Relationships in Hollywood are complicated and important. I wouldn't recommend you to someone in casting, or to any directors I know, because I don't know you. I don't know if you can act. I have met people who are the real thing. And if any of my friends spoke to me about a casting I might recommend one of them because they have a track record and they audition . . . a lot. Bye.

Aug 30 15 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Mousseline wrote:

Guess you missed the diligence and effort part.

Aug 30 15 08:27 pm Link

Model

Stella Sidney

LA StarShooter wrote:
Casting doesn't work that way. Getting an agent is simple-they either view a reel or it is just the headshot that causes them to want to meet you. Agents in Hollywood are very aggressive. Very. You can send them a headshot and resume and they won't be offended. They might not respond. You have to go to open castings at every chance you get and you have to bring your headshot. It's like your business card. Expecting someone on MM to refer you to an agent is something that is unlikely to happen. Relationships in Hollywood are complicated and important. I wouldn't recommend you to someone in casting, or to any directors I know, because I don't know you. I don't know if you can act. I have met people who are the real thing. And if any of my friends spoke to me about a casting I might recommend one of them because they have a track record and they audition . . . a lot. Bye.

privately messaging me a name I could send my headshot and resume is not that unrealistic. That's what I'm looking for here. I do have an agency that I work with, but they aren't really doing what I 'd like to be in, though.

Aug 30 15 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Mousseline wrote:
I've rejected offers but I've never stood anyone up, ever.

That's not the perception of the photographer you stood up, and not according your own account that you didn't feel like, but didn't make clear to him that you won't be at the antique car show, where he has planned a shoot that fits your desire to work in a vintage setting.

It appears that you are unreliable as a model, with no real desire to update your port, despite countless offers of photographers to help you out.

I guess you don't know what a recommendation means!

If I recommend someone for an A-list gig or contact, I put my own reputation on the line. If I refer someone I have never worked with, or who has a questionable reputation, I may just lose that contact and won't be able to refer someone who is really worthy of the connection.

But, hey... you are The Mousseline, the old soul... I am just a shutter release pusher (with contacts)...

Aug 30 15 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well if you already have your SAG card, contact the agencies you are interested in.  This being a modeling site you may not get a lot feedback

Aug 30 15 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I think you misunderstand, Moose.

Part of the reason why nobody wants to refer you is because they don't know your skills, sure. But it's not because you might suck and they're acting as a gatekeeper or receptionist.

It's because they don't know that you won't name drop them. And if you do, and then you suck, then there is the risk of the agent getting pissed off at the person that referred you for wasting their time, and then damaging the relationship they have. I'm not saying you're a bad actor, but you only get so many favours in life ... Why risk them on an unknown, when you might need to call that favour in later?

I have similar issues myself, even though I'm a teacher. I have students and local businesses contact me regularly for internships or work. About 90% of the time, I say I can't help them.

The fact is that maybe I could. But maybe I can't. And if I blow my good standing on that 90%, then I have no favours to call in that 10% of the time when I know somebody would be a really good fit. So I do nothing, unless I know people well enough to be reasonably sure that everyone will benefit, and that I'm not going to burn any bridges.

As they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Aug 30 15 09:00 pm Link

Model

Stella Sidney

udor wrote:
That's not the perception of the photographer you stood up, and not according your own account that you didn't feel like, but didn't make clear to him that you won't be at the antique car show, where he has planned a shoot that fits your desire to work in a vintage setting.

It appears that you are unreliable as a model, with no real desire to update your port, despite countless offers of photographers to help you out.

I guess you don't know what a recommendation means!

If I recommend someone for an A-list gig or contact, I put my own reputation on the line. If I refer someone I have never worked with, or who has a questionable reputation, I may just lose that contact and won't be able to refer someone who is really worthy of the connection.

But, hey... you are The Mousseline, the old soul... I am just a shutter release pusher (with contacts)...

I didn't stand him up, I rejected his offer. That was actually for a workshop that was going to take a few day and I politely declined.

Aug 30 15 09:51 pm Link

Model

Stella Sidney

Zack Zoll wrote:
I think you misunderstand, Moose.

Part of the reason why nobody wants to refer you is because they don't know your skills, sure. But it's not because you might suck and they're acting as a gatekeeper or receptionist.

It's because they don't know that you won't name drop them. And if you do, and then you suck, then there is the risk of the agent getting pissed off at the person that referred you for wasting their time, and then damaging the relationship they have. I'm not saying you're a bad actor, but you only get so many favours in life ... Why risk them on an unknown, when you might need to call that favour in later?

I have similar issues myself, even though I'm a teacher. I have students and local businesses contact me regularly for internships or work. About 90% of the time, I say I can't help them.

The fact is that maybe I could. But maybe I can't. And if I blow my good standing on that 90%, then I have no favours to call in that 10% of the time when I know somebody would be a really good fit. So I do nothing, unless I know people well enough to be reasonably sure that everyone will benefit, and that I'm not going to burn any bridges.

As they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I understand that.

Aug 30 15 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

LeonardG Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Dan Howell wrote:

Mousseline wrote:

Dan Howell wrote:
Guess you missed the diligence and effort part.

The vital part is - talent. There are plenty of other people who apply the diligence and effort for many, many years and it never happens. Despite that - it still takes talent, Then taking that talent to where it can be seen by someone that matters.

A decent reel helps. Most of it is participating in lots of castings and local plays and working your way up to gain parts in theater and films, constantly getting more experience and being more visible. The instant discoveries and sudden fame from a simple introduction is rare. Even with the right introduction to the right people, that will not get you a second glance unless you have that talent or spark to catch their attention.

Mousseline wrote:
getting a big celebrity agent

Why would a "big celebrity" agent take on someone unless they had potential talent?

Aug 31 15 11:58 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Imdb is Public Driven.  And it is Owned by Amazon.

If you can't spell Martin's name right.  Oh My Lanta.

LA is huge...but in the Casting Department...we all know who you are.

Aug 31 15 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Aug 31 15 12:29 pm Link

Model

Stella Sidney

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

I didn't spell Marty's name wrong.....

Aug 31 15 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Mousseline wrote:

I didn't spell Marty's name wrong.....

my bad thought i saw two s's together...

Aug 31 15 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

LeonardG Photography wrote:
The vital part is - talent. There are plenty of other people who apply the diligence and effort for many, many years and it never happens. Despite that - it still takes talent, Then taking that talent to where it can be seen by someone that matters.

I guess if you want to speak in useless platitudes...in the strictest sense talent is a vital part. I think what you fail to grasp is that the question was about marketing not performance. Guess I can dumb it down for you. It takes effort and persistence to to get a foot in the door (not a magic referral or being helicoptered in on an agent as the OP believes). Hell, even finding which door is the right door takes insight and effort--not a MM posting.

Talent/marketability/look/chrisma/competition/timing are factors that will effect acceptance, but that wasn't the question. She wanted a magic pill.

Aug 31 15 05:50 pm Link

Model

Blaire_

Portland, Oregon, US

I can only speak for myself, but I would never hand over a valuable contact to somebody I couldn't vouch for.  And a person who would ask for it before proving herself to be worthwhile wouldn't likely ever be somebody I would vouch for. 

Here is how you get into it.  You move to LA, or British Columbia (the second hollywood, but small knit).  You contact the networks and the production companies and you ask for a job.  ANY job.  You could be the doughnut fetcher.  If they don't have a job for you, ask for an internship.  You do the hard work for free.  Yes, free.  Then you learn everybody involved.  You know who they are, what they do, what they like, what they don't like, and you make sure that you are the best worker they have ever seen.  During all this, you should be honing your craft any way you can.  Find auditions on your own, send out head shots, participate in the industry.  Eventually, you ask for a job (or a better job).   By that time, you should know some of the decision making people.  Once you have a bit of a repoir with people there, you could probably find out what is coming up as far as auditions go. 

You could then ask the decision makers for an audition.  You would have done it on your own merit, too.

Aug 31 15 07:08 pm Link

Model

Stella Sidney

Dan Howell wrote:
I guess if you want to speak in useless platitudes...in the strictest sense talent is a vital part. I think what you fail to grasp is that the question was about marketing not performance. Guess I can dumb it down for you. It takes effort and persistence to to get a foot in the door (not a magic referral or being helicoptered in on an agent as the OP believes). Hell, even finding which door is the right door takes insight and effort--not a MM posting.

Talent/marketability/look/chrisma/competition/timing are factors that will effect acceptance, but that wasn't the question. She wanted a magic pill.

I get what you're saying but an MM post doesn't do any harm.

Aug 31 15 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Blaire_ wrote:
I can only speak for myself, but I would never hand over a valuable contact to somebody I couldn't vouch for.  And a person who would ask for it before proving herself to be worthwhile wouldn't likely ever be somebody I would vouch for. 

Here is how you get into it.  You move to LA, or British Columbia (the second hollywood, but small knit).  You contact the networks and the production companies and you ask for a job.  ANY job.  You could be the doughnut fetcher.  If they don't have a job for you, ask for an internship.  You do the hard work for free.  Yes, free.  Then you learn everybody involved.  You know who they are, what they do, what they like, what they don't like, and you make sure that you are the best worker they have ever seen.  During all this, you should be honing your craft any way you can.  Find auditions on your own, send out head shots, participate in the industry.  Eventually, you ask for a job (or a better job).   By that time, you should know some of the decision making people.  Once you have a bit of a repoir with people there, you could probably find out what is coming up as far as auditions go. 

You could then ask the decision makers for an audition.  You would have done it on your own merit, too.

::crickets::

Can't you just give her a name? The clock is ticking.

Sep 01 15 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mousseline wrote:

thaaaaaaaaaanks

The question is:  Is a major agency like William Morris and United Artists looking for YOU ?

Probably not . . . and I'll tell you why.

It's nothing personal . . . it's just that this town is overcrowded with talent of all sorts. Most never work more than once or twice a year (if that). Most all have other jobs (restaurant waiters) that allow them to take time off for interviews and production.

Until an actor/talent is making upwards of 250K, it's doubtful that any large agency or agent would be interested in investing the time it takes to develop new talent.

The usual way that actors network and get connected, is to take workshops and do showcase plays.

Sometimes an actor will get discovered and become an overnight success (after many years of hard work and preparation)

Don't be discouraged . . . everybody wants to start at the top . . . but if you don't try, you are guaranteed of failure.

KM

Sep 01 15 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

So I take it if you have a SAG card you have some time on film in a speaking capacity. Or do you have a commercial national or other wise you can show the agent. 

People won't help you if they don't know anything about your acting chops. What plays have you been in do you have an Aftra card for theatre work.

It's all pretty sketchy. You need to do the hard work, face rejection over and over and network like crazy.

What I wouldn't do is get a meet up with an agent and blow the audition

Sep 01 15 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

So I take it if you have a SAG card you have some time on film in a speaking capacity. Or do you have a commercial national or other wise you can show the agent.

Though most film work requires a SAG card (especially in LA), there is non Union work, and also Taft-Hartley. I have done several commercials and industrial films and I am non-union.

People won't help you if they don't know anything about your acting chops. What plays have you been in do you have an Aftra card for theatre work.

AFTRA isn't for theatre work.

American Federation of TELEVISION and RADIO Artists.

Sep 01 15 07:08 pm Link

Model

Stella Sidney

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
The question is:  Is a major agency like William Morris and United Artists looking for YOU ?

Probably not . . . and I'll tell you why.

It's nothing personal . . . it's just that this town is overcrowded with talent of all sorts. Most never work more than once or twice a year (if that). Most all have other jobs (restaurant waiters) that allow them to take time off for interviews and production.

Until an actor/talent is making upwards of 250K, it's doubtful that any large agency or agent would be interested in investing the time it takes to develop new talent.

The usual way that actors network and get connected, is to take workshops and do showcase plays.

Sometimes an actor will get discovered and become an overnight success (after many years of hard work and preparation)

Don't be discouraged . . . everybody wants to start at the top . . . but if you don't try, you are guaranteed of failure.

KM

I'm sure they're not looking for me bit if someone gave me a name I could find THEM and take a stab at it, that's all.

Sep 01 15 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Mousseline wrote:
I'm sure they're not looking for me bit if someone gave me a name I could find THEM and take a stab at it, that's all.

They are ALL over the net.  Why are you not looking? Why you need mm. Where is your Playboy Connections?

Sep 01 15 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

"Big time celebrity agents" are by definition agents for big time celebrities.

Sep 02 15 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Mousseline wrote:

I think what many are saying (in various ways) is that any effort aiming at what you perceive as TOP AGENTS that comes at the expense of more grounded marketing and networking is wasted or at least misplaced efforts.

Frankly, that search for the magic bullet or golden ticket is, in my view, lazy, not to mention unproductive. Take the advice or don't take the advice. You have a dozen people saying basically the same thing and you persist in shutting them down. What would you say about a photographer who only wants the number for the fashion editor at Vogue and nothing else? I know what I'd call them...

Sep 02 15 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Fotopia wrote:
"Big time celebrity agents" are by definition agents for big time celebrities.

+100

Sep 02 15 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Big celebrity agents - have a full stable of big celebrity clients as a rule - and have little interest or time for dealing with anything beyond big celebrity clients (the ones that fill their bank accounts)  It's a business and a harsh one - if anybody is considered, the question is - "What is my net for the following week of an actors work, after signing? What is the net for the week after that?" 

Will you bring in money to the agency - today - on par with their existing celebrity clients?  Because if they are full, they have to drop somebody to take on somebody new.

In the world of music and writing - a huge flashing memo exists in most publishers rules - "Unsolicited manuscripts or music will not be opened or reviewed"  This prevents claims of copyright infringement and prevents the wasting of time with unwanted and unasked for - manuscripts - filling mailboxes - thrown into open windows - and left under car windshield wipers.

Perhaps one of the worst things in Hollywood lore was the whole Lana Turner thing - Sitting at a soda fountain- seen and discovered by an agent sitting there - becomes a star.  Besides being almost totally a fabrication - it gives life to the idea that "If they just see me - they'll understand and make me a star."

Sep 02 15 10:39 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

One of my friends is a big celebrity agent.
Well sort of.
She's a BBW.and represents a several celebrities.
Does that count?

Sep 02 15 11:10 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Greg Kolack wrote:

Though most film work requires a SAG card (especially in LA), there is non Union work, and also Taft-Hartley. I have done several commercials and industrial films and I am non-union.

AFTRA isn't for theatre work.

American Federation of TELEVISION and RADIO Artists.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s … sag-306398

Sep 02 15 11:22 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Maybe you have a commercial headshot somewhere but I don't see one on here.

And someone serious about their craft would probably have a reel too -- but most importantly no one is going to vouch for or give out contact information at the level you are requesting when they don't know you if they value their relationship or reputation.

And as someone mentioned above what makes you think a top level talent agency like William Morris would be interested in you?

Sep 02 15 11:26 am Link