Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Slow cookers?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I get my salary in one big check, usually the first week or so in January.  I have to budget my cash flow throughout the year, so I usually get my present-for-myself in January.  I'm thinking this:

https://www.surlatable.com/images/customers/c1079/PRO-2195139/PRO-2195139_pdp/main_variation_Default_view_1_425x425.
(Click on the image for more info).

Questions:

...  Do you guys use a slow cooker?  If so, how often?
...  Do you guys use a pressure cooker?  If so, how often?
...  Do you guys use a rice cooker?  If so, how often?
...  Got any favorite dishes you would cook with something like this?
...  Where do you store it when it's not in use?

Any thoughts or comments on this topic would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Jan 03 16 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I use mine all the time. Being single and living alone, it's nice to make a huge pot of something that will last most of the week instead of having to cook every night. I use just a basic one as I've never really felt a need for all the bells and whistles.

Jan 03 16 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I get my salary in one big check, usually the first week or so in January.  I have to budget my cash flow throughout the year, so I usually get my present-for-myself in January.  I'm thinking this:

https://www.surlatable.com/images/customers/c1079/PRO-2195139/PRO-2195139_pdp/main_variation_Default_view_1_425x425.
(Click on the image for more info).

Questions:

Slow cookers are the next best thing to a good blow-job!

Question 1 - As often as possible. Being retired, I try to cook in bulk and freeze. Crock-pot to the rescue!

Question 2 - Nope.

Question 3 - Absolutely. Use google for rice cooker recipes. They are not a one trick pony by a very long shot.

Question 4 - Beef stew comes to mind as do other things, such as, Ummmmmm, cooking in bulk and freezing.

Question 5 - I dunno. In the freaking cupboard?

Comments - With a crock-pot or rice cooker you can make many things in bulk. Bag 'em up and freeze them. Think in terms of the overall dish. I'll put 30 chicken thighs in a crock-pot. Bag 'em, and freeze "em. See how many varied (and healthy) recipes you can find on the net. Teriyaki rice bowls? Chicken burgers? Curry? Stews? etc, etc, etc.

I do think the model you posted is way overkill though.

Jan 03 16 10:22 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

I have a 6 quart, oval shape slow cooker.  I had a 4 quart round, but I couldn't cook a decent sized whole chicken in it.  My only complaint about the bigger one is that it is very heavy when hand washing it (I have some physical limitations with my right hand though.) Yes, it takes up a lot of room, but I store it in a bottom cabinet.  The main benefit to me is that I can leave something cooking without the need to constantly watch it.  If you cook things low and slow, they come out very tender.

I cook a whole chicken every single week in my slow cooker.  The first night we eat the chicken breast hot, and then I pick apart the chicken and separate white meat and dark meat.  My husband makes lunch sandwiches and burritos out of the white meat, and I make a soup, chicken and dumplings or chicken salad out of the dark meat. If I have broth left over I freeze it.

I cook a whole turkey breast with the bone in there, as well as making pulled pork.  Every now and then I cook a beef roast in there.  I use it to make a load of blackeyed peas too. 

I used to have a steamer that I used to cook rice, but when we were living in a smaller place I donated it because it's not really necessary.  I can cook rice easily on the stove in a regular pot.

Jan 03 16 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Larry F Mock

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

My mother mostly does ribs & kraut, and pulled pork with hers. It's an oval one like what Morina describes.

Jan 03 16 10:52 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Dude you don't need to spend a shit ton of money on one of those things. I bought mine for $4 at a thrift store like 10 years ago. I use it around a dozen times throughout the year. It's the best thing to; braise meat, chilli, stews, soups. It's super handy device with little to no clean up.

Jan 03 16 11:12 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

MoRina wrote:
I cook a whole chicken every single week in my slow cooker.  The first night we eat the chicken breast hot, and then I pick apart the chicken and separate white meat and dark meat.  My husband makes lunch sandwiches and burritos out of the white meat, and I make a soup, chicken and dumplings or chicken salad out of the dark meat. If I have broth left over I freeze it.

Yep that's what I do. I make Ropa Vieja in it. Anytime I want to pull the meat apart I'll use my slow cooker. My favorite way to pull apart a whole chicken is to roast it whole, though.

Jan 03 16 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Slow cookers are very useful.  We used it last Thanksgiving.

We have 2 of them, a large and a small one.

Jan 03 16 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I like that the insert is dishwasher safe -- I hate hand washing anything.  The model shown is a 6 quart model.

I'm curious about its alleged ability to cook risotto -- I like risotto, but I hate cooking it.

I doubt that I'd use pressure cooker capability -- too scary, but it's nice to know that it's a possibility.

I do cook alone, and the cook-in-bulk & freeze concept appeals to me.  I already kinda do this.

Jan 03 16 11:16 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I like that the insert is dishwasher safe -- I hate hand washing anything.  The model shown is a 6 quart model.

I'm curious about its alleged ability to cook risotto -- I like risotto, but I hate cooking it.

I doubt that I'd use pressure cooker capability -- too scary, but it's nice to know that it's a possibility.

I do cook alone, and the cook-in-bulk & freeze concept appeals to me.  I already kinda do this.

I would never make risotto in a slow cooker. That's missing the point of cooking it. Risotto isn't just rice with stock, it's a style of cooking. Is it a pain in the ass? Sure is but it is always worth it.

Jan 03 16 11:19 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I have a personal sized CrockPot that I have never used. I don't eat much meat(rarely cook any) and have had to change my diet completely in the last couple of months.

Jan 03 16 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Certainly you can cook arborio rice in a slow cooker, but that doesn't mean you will end up with the characteristics of a properly prepared risotto. Technique is very important.

Jan 03 16 11:22 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Questions:

I'd never use a rice cooker. Rice is just too easy to make on the stove. I have a bakers rack I store it on above my cookbooks.

Jan 03 16 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Questions:

Slow cooker - used once in the past 24 months to make Indonesian Rendang - slow cooked beef in coconut milk with some exotic spices. For that purpose, it's perfect. It evaporates off the moisture slowly better than any other method.

Pressure cooker - never tried one.

Rice cooker - it was great when I ate rice. It's the only way I would cook rice. For the most part I have cut rice out of my diet. I probably eat rice less than 3-5 times a year now. When I do, it's less than a cup and it's usually when I go out to a Thai restaurant for curry.

My kitchen is too full of too many things. I need to de-clutter again. I use my iron skillets, Chef's knife and cutting board more than anything. I use a food processor/blender to make protein yogurt fruit smoothies once or twice a week and for margaritas during the summer. I have a nice set of 3 pots with lids for stove top cooking. I often use my small table-top outdoor grill. I occasionally use my oven. I use a 2-pound loaf bread machine to make healthy bread that I thin-slice and freeze. I toast one or two slices per day for my "nuts & grains" portion of my menu, so a loaf lasts me for a month. I use my paper filter drip coffee pot and paper cone every day. I have a nice Chantal whistling tea kettle for boiling water. Toaster for my bread. Soda Stream. Food slicer for the bread. I use a food dehydrator 3-4 times a year.

Too many appliances are clutter that get in the way. I don't need or want gadgets.

Less is more.

Jan 03 16 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Chuckles. They have cheap "diapers"  for these things. Cook your food. Toss the diaper. Done.  Ummm, what is this hand-washing thing you speak of?

Jan 03 16 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

I use a slow cooker at least once a week
Excellent for making cheap meat tender and tasty.

Have a combo rice cooker/steamer.
Gets more use for steaming veggies than cooking rice.
Not that big of rice eater.

Jan 03 16 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Gloversville, New York, US

I have a plain one.  Will use it steady for a while, then get bored and put it aside for a while. Great for stews and such, My "winter time" food!   Makes the world's best Ox-tail or beef short ribs!!!

Jan 03 16 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Questions:

I have a slow cooker. I used to use it for chili all the time, but changed to a large enameled-cast iron lodge Dutch oven instead. I prefer the finer control of heat for most things. I still use the crock pot for large joints of meat like corned beef.

I have no pressure cooker.

I have a rice cooker. A cheap-ass one. I like it. I use it often.

I have started to add a packet of dry miso soup (trader Joe) to the rice cooker while cooking rice. I normally pair it with a tuna steak, also from trader Joe. It's yummy.

I store my crock pot, rice cooker, George Forman grill and waffle maker on the same shelf of an ikea pantry I added to my kitchen 5 years ago.

Jan 03 16 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

These to the rescue. Cook in the bag, eat, lift bag out of cooker, place in storage container. Very little cleanup left.

https://images.jet.com/md5/09df288d9eeef03d6de985acd9baaba1.1500

Another cool little trick with these is say you're cooking something and don't really want the liquid. Shrimp boil for example. Cut slits in the bag, line the cooker and cook as normal.. When ready, just lift the bag out and the liquid stays in the crock pot with the other ingredients still in the bag.

Jan 03 16 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

1.  Used to, but no more.  Food does not taste as good as the normal cooker.
2.  Yes, once month or so.  We use it to cook beef tendon.  Normal cooking time is about 5 hours, pressure cooker takes about less than an hour. 
When sailing in long voyage,  we use a pressure cooker daily.  It saves water and propane, both are at premium when you are hundred miles from land.   
3.  Rice cooker.  It is convenient we use often, but not daily. 

Rice cooker always stays on the counter in the kitchen.  The pressure cooker, 18" wok, huge crab steam pot, meat slicer, fondue hot pot, Dutch oven and other less used stuff are stored in the storage cabinet next to the kitchen.

Jan 03 16 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I use a plain old 6 qt oval slow cooker - I did blackeyed peas and ham last night.  in the winter - I have something cooking - or something it was cooked in - at almost all times.  Stews, chili - turkey breasts, red beans and rice, soups - etc.

I really have none of these other things.you listed.

Jan 03 16 09:55 pm Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Model Sarah wrote:

I would never make risotto in a slow cooker. That's missing the point of cooking it. Risotto isn't just rice with stock, it's a style of cooking. Is it a pain in the ass? Sure is but it is always worth it.

Yes, I think risotto needs stirring constantly. I don't think there is a machine that can stir on its own while cooking unless I miss the new invention.

Jan 04 16 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Model Sarah wrote:
I'd never use a rice cooker. Rice is just too easy to make on the stove

Yes it is.  I cook rice either way depending on the availability.  But rice cooker is nice, you don't really need to pay any attention to it.  The cooker will keep the rice steamy hot until you are ready.

Jan 04 16 07:50 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

I cook for myself. I can't use my hands so much for cutting hard things, stirring constantly, kneading, etc. That really sucks because I used to love cooking.

I don't have one.

I don't have one.

Yes, I have one. I use it two or three times a week. I make bulk amounts for a worth of week or two weeks. I cook rice in it. I also cook any legumes like lentils in it. When I splurge money on veggies like ready-chopped kabocha, I steam / roast veggies in it. This rice cooker has the following features: slow cook method, soup method, steam method, cake method, white rice method, brown rice method, oatmeal method, and STS (like sauteed) method. So, I have no reason why I should buy a slow cooker / pressure cooker. Also, I like the minimal lifestyle, so I save a lot of space and money better.

I'm workaholic. I work almost everyday. I simply don't have time to stand in the front of my stove. I want something really quick. Whenever I take cooked rice / cooked lentils out of my fridge for my dinner, I add miso paste and hot boiling water to the rice and lentils. I stir them together. It's ready to eat. It's simple and comforting. It's friendly for my teeth because I have braces. It's not fun to eat crunchy texture or hard food while having braces. Ugh. I can't wait to get rid of my braces in next year or next two years. The bonus about working in the food industry is to get free food. I collect leafy greens and other stuff without buying them. Therefore, I meet all my daily value needs. lol

I store my lovely rice cooker on one of the shelves in the open cabinet. I live with 3 roommates. Luckily, I can tuck it in its sleeping spot. lol

My rice cooker is below. I bought it from Target. It's easy to clean by hand. I don't have a dishwasher. It's okay. I like to clean with a care. It has been good to me for a long time. I hope it can keep up for a decade... it would be cool! See more details about this rice cooker at http://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitchen … 616SB.html
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoLmj1oZ_3HcuSYk5KtmYMZa5oCH_5KBT9CJ3JPJWCo_PUbM4t80jxA2FMo5D0KQcKNYbDMnrg&usqp=CAE

Jan 04 16 08:18 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

I have a oval crockpot but it is very basic -- I use it enough to make it worthwhile but I normally prefer to cook things on the stovetop unless I am going to be gone all day.

I don't have an oven other than the counter top convection oven I have ( which I love) but I am considering getting a ricemaker because I want to make my own sushi. From what I have read a ricemaker is invaluable for get the rice to the proper consistency for rolling sushi.

I don't use the liners for the crockpot because I dislike making more disposable things that end up in landfills but I try to remember to spray or coat the crockpot with a lubricant so clean up is easier.

Jan 04 16 08:30 am Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

this is what we've used for almost a decade
http://www.target.com/p/crock-pot-6-qua … A-16799395

Jan 04 16 08:35 am Link

Model

Amelia Vane

Somerville, Massachusetts, US

Crockpots are the best thing ever! I highly recommend getting one, you won't regret it. Just make sure to get a good one, check reviews etc. You'll find that some are faulty and cook at a temperature that is too hot for "slow cooking". I mean, it's not the worse thing that can happen but if you aren't there to watch it your food might start to burn as the liquid evaporates. So your meal that was suppose to cook in 8 hours is boiling at the 4 hour mark -- you might have a crappy dinner. To answer your question, I use it a lot.

No, those things scare me.

I own one but rarely use it. I have an old one with no instructions included so I don't really know what I'm doing. I also don't eat rice all that often unless I'm in the mood for rice balls.

Fav recipes:
Lasagna Soup
http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2012/11 … -soup.html

Chili (absolute favorite. I usually omit the meat and add more beans to make it vegetarian-ish + sriracha)
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/222097/hea … ate-chili/

Pulled Pork
Pretty much just a pork shoulder and Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce

Best of luck!

Jan 04 16 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

KungPaoChic wrote:
From what I have read a ricemaker is invaluable for get the rice to the proper consistency for rolling sushi.

If you are adept at and comfortable making rice the old fashioned way, a rice-cooker doesn't bring much to the table (other than you don't have to pay attention to it and can do other things while it's cooking). The real magic happens before the rice is cooked, and after the rice comes out of the cooker. An oscillating fan would be a far more useful tool for making sushi rice. Just saying, FWIW.

Jan 04 16 09:00 am Link

Photographer

noir

Crewe, England, United Kingdom

Slow cooking the British student way - Using a flask
https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr& … sk+cooking
Go easy with the expansive fermentable  rice...

Jan 04 16 09:49 am Link

Photographer

KOLMANS STUDIOS

Lüderitz, Karas, Namibia

That is a bargain. In our country we do not get this type(slow/pressure) in one.

I like to cook,and yes, no fun to cook just for one person. So, I prepare enough and freeze for later.

My slow cooker, and sandwich press and grill stand on my kitchen table as they work hard. I sometimes grill meat/chicken lightly before I throw then into the slow cooker.

btw, for those who love toasted cheese and tomato sandwiches. Next time replace the tomato with peppadews. If you do not like real spicy stuff, get the yellow peppadews, instead of the red ones. You will never put tomato on a toasted sandwich again

Something else I eat a lot is green peppers stuffed with spicy rice/seafood. Again, no more baking them in the oven. I do all in the slow cooker(mine take 6 large green peppers next to each other). Then when rice is cooked inside, wrap them carefully in alu foil,and put them in the grill. Then turn through 90 degree,and remove. Now one just add that bit of grill flovor. Open carefully and serve with nice salad.

Jan 04 16 11:55 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I use my crockpot maybe 4 or 5 times a year. Only spent maybe 25-30 bucks on it. I use it for pulled meats, pot roast. I don't bother with soups, sauces or stews in it because I can be around to put them on the stove, it takes me a fraction of the time on the stove, and I usually make them in time to use them immediately. If I had a job where I needed to be away all day long then Id use it a lot more for the stuff that I normally just put on the stove or in the oven, but I actually prefer to just cook things those ways when I can.

Our rice cooker gets used about as often, but only because I don't eat rice so its up to my husband to use it when Im not around for dinner

Rice cooker is over the microwave in a cabinet I can't reach, crock pot is shoved way back in a corner where I don't need to worry about moving it unless I want it

Jan 04 16 03:21 pm Link

Model

AnimusRyan

Los Angeles, California, US

Questions:

I don't own a slow cooker now but I used to use one fairly often. Like other posters have said it's great for cooking in bulk and not having to worry about cooking several individual meals throughout the week. You just put the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it go. I definitely wouldn't bother with a crazy fancy cooker like the one pictured. You really don't need much but temperature control and a timer.

No real favorites but there are a ton of simple recipes available online with a google search. I just pick one for a week and get the ingredients for it the next time I go grocery shopping. It's really easy so it makes it painless to have a different nice slow cooked meal every week.

I've owned rice cookers but I don't feel they're all that worth it for cooking rice. I tend to do all of my cooking at once, in parallel, and rice cookers tend to lag behind or take way longer than just boiling it in a pot on the stove.

Hope this helps!

Jan 04 16 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Happy Guy Photos

Upland, California, US

Please don't get a pressure cooker.

Awhile back, my mom used one and it malfunctioned. The very small cap on top popped out while there was a lot of pressure. About 4 pounds of tongue came out from that very small opening ... not good.

We spent about a month wiping the mess from the ceiling and never really got everything off.

We were actually lucky because if that hadn't happened, it would have became a bomb causing serious injuries or worst.

I recommend that you stick to that contraption which you attached on your initial comment. That looks rather nice and safe.

Jan 04 16 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

My wife works in the restaurant business and doesn't like to cook when she's home so I'm the chef of the family. As a result, I LOVE cooking for the two of us in a slow cooker. If I have some time I'll post some of my recipes but my top 3 favorites are:

- My mother's recipe for beef stew.
- Chili...absolutely the best when all the flavors blend from 8 hours in a slow cooker.
- Mac & Cheese. You won't make it any other way after you make it in a slow cooker.

Jan 04 16 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Happy Guy Photos wrote:

Awhile back, my mom used one and it malfunctioned. The very small cap on top popped out while there was a lot of pressure. About 4 pounds of tongue came out from that very small opening ... not good.

We spent about a month wiping the mess from the ceiling and never really got everything off.

We were actually lucky because if that hadn't happened, it would have became a bomb causing serious injuries or worst.

I recommend that you stick to that contraption which you attached on your initial comment. That looks rather nice and safe.

Pressure cooker operates in very simple way, no electronic and no moving part, nothing to turn on and nothing to turn off.  If there is a problem, 99.99% is the operator error.  Although an understanding how the pressure cooker operates and follow the instruction, and make sure all passage way for steam to escape at the proper pressure helps.  However, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand this.

I am not saying that it was your Mom problem.  We need to stop fear mongering on the internet.

Jan 05 16 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Connor Photography wrote:
I am not saying that it was your Mom problem.  We need to stop fear mongering on the internet.

WARNING: Do not attempt to make char siu in a crock-pot. It is absolutely delicious! You might become an addict!  *** runs and hides ***

Jan 05 16 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Happy Guy Photos wrote:

My mother used a pressure cooker.  She never had a problem with it!

Jan 05 16 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
My mother used a pressure cooker.  She never had a problem with it!

Shit. My Grandmother used one without any problem. I just don't care for them because I like (some / most) things low and slow.

Jan 05 16 07:53 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

wooooow hold on there little doggy. that sucker is also a preasure cooker? thats nnnnn ice!

i use a preasure cooker n gotta say it is amazing!

get it! i want one too... paaaallllleeeeeeezzzzzz?

"Please don't get a pressure cooker.

Awhile back, my mom used one and it malfunctioned. The very small cap on top popped out while there was a lot of pressure. About 4 pounds of tongue came out from that very small opening ... not good. "

if you don't clean it properly or overfill it n that orafice gets cloged, it should blow the rubber gasket, not the safety pop off. 

if you over heat it to melt that safety pop off, you should takecup knitting cuz you didnt read the instructions!

but accidents will happen. i inhereted my grand mothers preasure cooker n have used it for 40 years without incident. replaced the gaskets though a few times.

Jan 05 16 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Lohkee wrote:

WARNING: Do not attempt to make char siu in a crock-pot. It is absolutely delicious! You might become an addict!  *** runs and hides ***

Hey, it sounds doable.  Yes, I was a char siu addict when I was a little boy (5 or 6).  I refused to eat dinner unless there was CharSiu on the table.  LOL

Jan 05 16 08:23 am Link