Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Celebrity opinions?

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Is it just me, or do you wish celebrities would just keep their political opinions to themselves?
It's one thing if Udor publicly bashes Bush or I publicly bash Obama here...but when a celebrity does it, they stand to lose half their audience.
Jane Fonda is an example...the most recent other negative example is Quentin Tarrantino and his "just call the murderers the murderers" rant at the BLM rally.
I'm a huge Tarrantino fan, but this just called an end to paying to see his movies for me.

Jan 04 16 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

I'm not worried about them loosing fans, but yes, I don't want to hear their political opinions anymore than I want to hear their religious beliefs. Goes for most people, actually.

Jan 04 16 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

I'm friends with many people whose politics I disagree with. Celebrities are no different for me, I can appreciate their work without having to appreciate their personal political or religious views.

Jan 04 16 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Mortonovich wrote:
I'm not worried about them loosing fans, but yes, I don't want to hear their political opinions anymore than I want to hear their religious beliefs. Goes for most people, actually.

Good point. At least when I see public posts, the same people who complain about celebrity political statements approve of a marginal football player praying in public. And vice versa.

Me, I don't care what they say, political or prayerful. They got the First Amendment, they got a microphone, so have at it. I'll switch the channel.

Jan 04 16 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

If they use the microphone known as celebrity to try to better the world, I'm all for it.

Jan 04 16 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Im guessing QT would be glad to lose people like the OP and his ilk as fans

Jan 04 16 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Most celebrities are bubble-heads living in a Hollywood bubble-world awash in money, drugs, over-inflated egos, parties and celebrity events where they are pranced around by their agents like show dogs with wardrobe malfunctions.

Because they are movie celebrities does not mean they are credible beyond memorizing and regurgitating a script or because they pretend to be credible on camera. Many actors have poise and presence in character roles that are edited and enhanced, but are total blithering idiots when they ad lib in off-script interviews. For the most part, the Hollywood crowd is pretty screwed up.

Same thing goes for the network and cable news readers. They are teleprompter readers, not there for their world experience or sage opinions. They are there as a decorated model in front of a camera who can read a teleprompter and emote feelings at the same time.

Yes, when an actor starts shooting their mouth off about politics, they cut their fan base in half. That in itself proves that they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Some celebrities understand this and keep their political views carefully guarded.

Amongst celebrity actors, of course there are smart people who have skills and experience that transcends the rudimentary skills necessary to be a celebrity actor, but it's a minority.

Does anyone think Kim Kardashian, Justin Bieber, or the girl with the tongue should be governor of a state because of their name brand recognition? If not, then why should we care who they choose to vote for?

Jan 04 16 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. But if they use their celebrity status to promote their political point of view. then their celebrity status is a fair game for gain/loss consequence.

Jan 04 16 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Does anyone think Kim Kardashian, Justin Bieber, or the girl with the tongue should be governor of a state because of their name brand recognition? If not, then why should we care who they choose to vote for?

Apparently a lot of people do, given the success of
Jess Ventura
Arnold Schwarzenegger
and the Bed Time for Bonzo guy

Jan 04 16 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Apparently a lot of people do, given the success of
Jess Ventura
Arnold Schwarzenegger
and the Bed Time for Bonzo guy

You're right! There are exceptions.

The Bed Time for Bonzo guy was the best President we've had since Abraham Lincoln.

I stand corrected.

---

On the other hand, how many politicians are not actors?`

Jan 04 16 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Why shouldn't so called celebrities be any less able to voice their opinions than anyone else's?

Why is it ok, in your mind, for a photographer or a model to talk about politics or whatever (sometimes to the detriment of their client base) but not OK for a movie actor? What's the difference?

There are many Hollywood types (and business people and friends and family) whose opinions I find objectionable. If the other things they offer me in my life outweighs that then I will keep engaging with them. Otherwise I will stop patronizing their business or movies or walk away from whatever relationship I have with them.

What's so hard about that?

Jan 04 16 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

I'd say that the girl with the tongue can govern a good part of the region that has my skin as its natural border!   evilgrin

Jan 04 16 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

There is always a disposable part of any demographic, the loss of which usually has a pretty negligible impact on the bottom line. People's priorities change, or they become ill, or they get old, or they die, etc, and as such cease being active consumers. So it goes. No biggie. There's always a influx of new consumers. I've observed this phenomena in running a content-merchandising business for 15 years. Out with the old blood, in with the new. It's good for business, and business is good.

My wife and I obtain a great deal of entertainment value from watching YT content created by celebrities and non-celebrities alike who are enthusiastically speaking their minds, often espousing ideological positions entirely different from our own. I'm glad that we have a wealth of platforms from which anyone can offer their opinions and ideas. We live in very interesting times.

Jan 04 16 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

why would anyone care what an actor/actress, director, cinematographer, etc have to say on anything, outside of their craft? the contract i have with these folks is their work. i'm more pissed when an actor i like gives a shit performance, or takes on a stupid role.

it just baffles me how people would get upset (or gleeful) in regards to what someone in the public spotlight has to say. would their political beliefs really keep you from viewing their work? or make it more likely you'll see their work? in the context of the work itself, i've loved many a film (or performance) where i didn't necessarily agree with the political angles being espoused. i can still appreciate the art. 

as far as tarantino goes (specifically), i saw the trailer for the hateful eight, and a few commercials. it just looks dumb. i'll pass on seeing it in the theater, and just wait for the bluray.

Jan 04 16 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Peter Claver wrote:
Why shouldn't so called celebrities be any less able to voice their opinions than anyone else's?

I can not think of any reasons why they should not be less able to voice their opinions than anyone else. 

Did anyone say they should not be able to voice their opinions?

Jan 04 16 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Peter Claver wrote:

[...]

If everyone who heard the "celebrity" voice their opinion treated that opinion just as the opinion of one person, no one would have any objection whatsoever.

But we know that isnt the case. Celebrities use their position to amplify their beliefs far beyond that of "one man one vote". The low information voter gives undue weight to the celebrity opinion, regardless of the validity of the opinion itself.

Celebrity endorsements shouldnt have any more weight than Peter's or mine- but the politicians court the celebs because far too many folks seem to confuse notoriety or fame with an informed opinion.

And sadly, low information voters dominate the American political scene these days.

Jan 04 16 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Click Hamilton wrote:

I can not think of any.

Did anyone say they should not be able to voice their opinions?

The OP specifically said he wishes that they wouldn't.

Jan 04 16 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Tarantino, Fonda, and even Jenny McCarthy have just as much right to say dumb shit as we do. And you are just as morally right to refrain from patronizing them as you do the guy that spouts hate speech while he makes your sandwich. No more, no less.

Chuckarelei wrote:
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. But if they use their celebrity status to promote their political point of view. then their celebrity status is a fair game for gain/loss consequence.

So here's a question:  if a celebrity is part of an organization or movement, how do you determine whether or not they are using their celebrity status? When you book Jenny McCarthy on your talk show, how do you determine if you're booking a celebrity, or a mouthpiece for the anti-vaxxer movement? The movement gets plenty of ink without her, so clearly it's not all celebrity-based. What about Michael Moore, or Bob Dylan? Those guys got their celebrity specifically because they discussed issues. Once they're famous, do they not get to talk anymore?

Jan 04 16 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

rfordphotos wrote:

If everyone who heard the "celebrity" voice their opinion treated that opinion just as the opinion of one person, no one would have any objection whatsoever.

But we know that isnt the case. Celebrities use their position to amplify their beliefs far beyond that of "one man one vote". The low information voter gives undue weight to the celebrity opinion, regardless of the validity of the opinion itself.

Celebrity endorsements shouldnt have any more weight than Peter's or mine- but the politicians court the celebs because far too many folks seem to confuse notoriety or fame with an informed opinion.

And sadly, low information voters dominate the American political scene these days.

*shrug* that's on the listener not the speaker.

Jan 04 16 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

rfordphotos wrote:

Celebrity testimonials is a standard propaganda technique.
http://changingminds.org/techniques/pro … monial.htm

PS - I see Wikipedia has expanded their list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_techniques

Jan 04 16 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Peter Claver wrote:
*shrug* that's on the listener not the speaker.

Maybe to a large extent, yes. But if celeb endorsements were weighed as individual opinions, no one would bother asking for them. It is pretty damn cynical to continue pumping out the hype that they do--they know damn well what they are doing. The candidates are at least as responsible as the idiots who listen to the opinions---the candidates seek them out specifically aimed at demographics they know are low info voters.

Jan 04 16 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

normad

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
On the other hand, how many politicians are not actors?`

- 0 -

Jan 04 16 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Peter Claver wrote:
The OP specifically said he wishes that they wouldn't.

Yes. That sounds like a wish they wouldn't, not that they shouldn't.

Big difference.

Jan 04 16 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Click Hamilton wrote:

Yes. That sounds like a wish they wouldn't, not that they shouldn't.

Big difference.

No difference at all.

According to him (and many) they shouldn't voice their opinion.

Jan 04 16 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Peter Claver wrote:
No difference at all.

According to him (and many) they shouldn't voice their opinion.

Where do you get this stuff from? You are always building straw men. Now you are doubling down by adding "many" unnamed others to try to strengthen your bogus argument.

It's a big difference. Yours is a fallacy, intentional or otherwise.

Or maybe you are just jumping to your own emphatic conclusions.

The OP didn't say he wanted to stop the guy from taking. He said he no longer wants to support his movies. Nothing wrong with that.

Jan 04 16 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Click Hamilton wrote:

Where do you get this stuff from? You are always building straw men.

It's a big difference. Yours is a fallacy, intentional or otherwise.

Or maybe you are just jumping to your own emphatic conclusions.

You're off in your fantasy land again click.

Jan 04 16 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Peter Claver wrote:
You're off in your fantasy land again click.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Jan 04 16 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

rfordphotos wrote:

How is this different than using money to amplify ones voice through donations and pacs?

Jan 04 16 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Tweet from Montel Williams:

Totally fine with a massive use of deadly force in Oregon to take out Ammon Bundy. #OregonUnderAttack
10:08 PM - 2 Jan 2016

Does this mean we can stop watching Montel Williams too?
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government … overnment/

Jan 04 16 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

In other news Halo 2 anniversary is better than star wars

Jan 04 16 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Isn't or doesn't it seem that if a celebrity wants to open their mouth and say something that is their opinion while losing half their audience ... it's up to them as it's their opinion and their career? Aren't the people you're talking about adults and fully responsible for their own words and actions?

Jan 04 16 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Celebs can club baby seals and not lose half their audience
The .00001%  dont matter

Jan 04 16 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

rfordphotos wrote:

Maybe to a large extent, yes. But if celeb endorsements were weighed as individual opinions, no one would bother asking for them. It is pretty damn cynical to continue pumping out the hype that they do--they know damn well what they are doing. The candidates are at least as responsible as the idiots who listen to the opinions---the candidates seek them out specifically aimed at demographics they know are low info voters.

And again ... We correct that how?

It's all well and good to complain about the Michael Moores, Bonos, and Sean Penns of the world ... After all, they're annoying whether you agree with them or not. But does anybody have a solution that doesn't involve denying them the rights that are afforded to every other citizen of their respective countries? Or are were just going to continue arguing about whether or not celebrities count as people?

Because it seems to me that there is absolutely nothing wrong with celebrities speaking their mind. They are citizens, and they have that right. If you want to point fingers, point them at the people that keep giving them interviews.

Jan 04 16 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Many actors are real good at acting. Acting is a completely different skill set than economics, foreign affairs, military strategy, etc.  Most successful actors don't have a background in public service, or the military, or anything related to politics. Most of them don't even associate with us "little people" and couldn't even comprehend what it's like to not be a multi-millionaire.

I'd be happy to take acting advice from some of them, but as for their political opinions, they of course are entitled to hold and express them, but they're no more weighty than any one else's opinion. I prefer to think of big actors as blank people... having no personality or human failings. That way there's nothing getting in the way of convincing me they are the character they're playing in a film. If an actor becomes too "in your face" off the screen, it's hard to push that aside when looking at that actor on the big screen. It gets even more difficult when you see them as someone you really don't like.

Jan 04 16 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
And again ... We correct that how?

It's all well and good to complain about the Michael Moores, Bonos, and Sean Penns of the world ... After all, they're annoying whether you agree with them or not. But does anybody have a solution that doesn't involve denying them the rights that are afforded to every other citizen of their respective countries? Or are were just going to continue arguing about whether or not celebrities count as people?

Because it seems to me that there is absolutely nothing wrong with celebrities speaking their mind. They are citizens, and they have that right. If you want to point fingers, point them at the people that keep giving them interviews.

If i had that answer I would be king smile

How do we get Americans to stop worshiping celebrity? Its nothing new, but I think it has been an expanding problem for at least the past 50 years. Anyone who witnessed the bubblegummers screaming their little hearts out for John, Paul, George and Ringo knows its nothing new.

Maybe we do a better job of showing the "masses" that celebs are not special, that they have feet of clay just like every one else. Bill Cosby, Brian Williams, Pete Rose ---you get my drift.

In no way am I saying a celeb shouldnt voice their opinion. I am one of those crazy people who volunteered for the military to defend exactly that right. I believe in free speech, and a whole bunch of other seemingly outmoded concepts.

But I am tired, or frustrated with the situation that gives celebs such an outsized voice.

I am tired and frustrated that my generation, after changing the course of the country by becoming politically involved has now devolved into the apathetic, poorly informed, totally fragmented electorate we have now.

And I admit freely I dont know how to change it.

Jan 05 16 01:54 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I usually just assume they are passionate.  I am right wing but am happy that there are passionate people on both sides of the aisle.  I worked in the industry all my life and it's about a 20-1 in favor of being left wing.  Most of the time I need to keep my mouth shut but I think it's great that there are good people on the left wing side too.  I have many friends that are liberal and I am proud of them too.

I do think it's weird when madonna with 5 houses and Elton John with 5 houses tells us about conserving our carbon footprint.

Jan 05 16 02:21 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I never pay attention to celebrity opinions.

Jan 05 16 06:41 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I never pay attention to celebrity opinions.

I've only paid attention to celebrity opinion(s) just once that I know about and it wasn't even something they said.

I was in high school and in the marching band. It was quite clear to me that I needed a new trumpet. I had reached the limitations of my old one. My father asked me what brand I wanted. Since these things aren't something one can go try somewhere (at least, not at that time), I looked to a celebrity. In this case, it was Maynard Ferguson. I figured that if he used Getzen, it must be pretty good, especially since he was what I considered the best trumpeter I had ever heard. Good enough for him is good enough for me. My father got it for me, too, but only after asking where he could find such a thing (no real internet at that time).

If it matters, I still have it more than 30 years later. I tried playing it a few weeks ago and couldn't. I've lost all my real skills. The sterling silver part of it is mostly black now (needs polishing) and some of the valve springs have weakened.  Time waits for no one.

Jan 05 16 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

I am with early film Director Harry Warner:

Who wants to hear actors talk?

Jan 05 16 11:09 am Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Tweet from Montel Williams:

Does this mean we can stop watching Montel Williams too?
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government … overnment/

I'm in full suport of Ammon Bundy’s group their patriots against a corrupt government, Good thing Janet Reno isn't around she would most likely burn them out.

Jan 05 16 01:05 pm Link