Forums > General Industry > Reasonable charge for 8hr guided desert shoot?

Model

Wonderhussy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

My current business model:

For a $500 day rate, I will pick up a photographer from his Vegas hotel and drive him around the desert for 8 hours total, stopping at three unique desert locations to pose nude (red rocks/slot canyons, dry lake bed, abandoned industrial site). Total shooting time at each location around 1.5 hours. I drive, and will even cover gas (most of the time, the photographer ends up filling my tank for me, but it is not a requirement).

Is this a fair price? Recently I've had several people tell me I'm selling myself short, and that I should double this rate. But I'm not sure the market would bear that.

My understanding is that most full-time freelance nude models charge around $100/hour...which is basically what I'm charging, if you go by total shooting time. But at the same time, I am (to my knowledge) the only model who does this kind of thing in my area (I understand that most women would not be comfortable spending an 8-hour day in the middle of nowhere with a complete stranger).

Thoughts from fellow models and photographers?

Feb 01 16 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

What I would say is that if you are booking that rate easily and plenty of work then there is no reason not to increase it a bit to see what the traffic bears, and be prepared to negotiate a bit on it. As for me I think that if I was looking to shoot in Las Vegas it would be a very good deal for me.

Feb 01 16 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I think you are wonderful and it is a great service to travelling photographers.  Very creative.

Feb 01 16 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The rate you're charging is pretty much a bargain, but on the other hand if you charged more you probably won't get as much business.  The reason being is that most photographers only would want to shoot for a couple of hours at the maximum anyway, and for many it's hard enough to shell out $500 much less trying to get another few hundred from 'em.

I shoot in many of the locations that you do (I've read your blogs... share commmon friends, etc) and until recently it was costing me around $50 just for fuel alone,  If I factor in wear and tear on vehicle and a mere $10/hr labor for a chauffer it quickly adds up to $100.  That's just for places like Tecopa / Shoshone.  I know you even go to more distant locaitons.which even take more time and fuel to get to.

So I guess you're basically within reason.  At that rate you'll be working more often.  If it gets to a point where you don't want to go out and shoot as often just raise the rate a bit.  You'll still get people willing to shoot you and you'll make more money for the time that you're working, you just won't be doing it as often so the total income will be less.

Feb 01 16 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Wonderhussy wrote:
Is this a fair price? Recently I've had several people tell me I'm selling myself short, and that I should double this rate. But I'm not sure the market would bear that.

You have done the smart thing in creating a niche that few others can fill, i.e. not just being a capable model but also providing good locations, that, presumably, you know well and can advise photographers on how to get the best out of those locations.

For a photographer visiting Las Vegas for the first time, your package deal should look very attractive.

I think that, as others have mentioned, a lot depends on how much work you are getting now and how much work you want.  I would be inclined to try ratcheting your price up in $100 increments and seeing how that affects demand. My gut feeling is that you could ask $600 without too much trouble if you present it as a $500 model fee for the day, plus $100 for transport costs.  I doubt that you will be able to ratchet as high as $1000, but I could be wrong.

Feb 01 16 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

Wonderhussy wrote:
My current business model:

For a $500 day rate, I will pick up a photographer from his Vegas hotel and drive him around the desert for 8 hours total, stopping at three unique desert locations to pose nude (red rocks/slot canyons, dry lake bed, abandoned industrial site). Total shooting time at each location around 1.5 hours. I drive, and will even cover gas (most of the time, the photographer ends up filling my tank for me, but it is not a requirement).

My understanding is that most full-time freelance nude models charge around $100/hour...which is basically what I'm charging, if you go by total shooting time. But at the same time, I am (to my knowledge) the only model who does this kind of thing in my area (I understand that most women would not be comfortable spending an 8-hour day in the middle of nowhere with a complete stranger).

Sounds like a great price for the service.  Your day rate is not an unusual discount over the $100/hr rate for 8 hours.  I think the extra service of driving and being a tour guide more than makes up for the time not spent shooting.  Filling your gas tank at the end of the day would be a reasonable additional charge. if I were to find myself in your part of the country, I would also buy lunch and/or dinner.

Feb 01 16 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

Rob Photosby wrote:

You have done the smart thing in creating a niche that few others can fill, i.e. not just being a capable model but also providing good locations, that, presumably, you know well and can advise photographers on how to get the best out of those locations.

For a photographer visiting Las Vegas for the first time, your package deal should look very attractive.

I think that, as others have mentioned, a lot depends on how much work you are getting now and how much work you want.  I would be inclined to try ratcheting your price up in $100 increments and seeing how that affects demand. My gut feeling is that you could ask $600 without too much trouble if you present it as a $500 model fee for the day, plus $100 for transport costs.  I doubt that you will be able to ratchet as high as $1000, but I could be wrong.

+1

Feb 01 16 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

You look great but I don't know if photographers would be willing to shell out $1,000.   What I would do is find some other local models.   Work out some package deals for both of you.   Also consider buying some reflectors.   Look into filming a shoot to show how much fun it is.   Put it on your site and Youtube.   I buy older laptops with OS X and Windows.   You can find some for less then $100.00 this for times shooters may have forgotten their computers.   Same with budget DLSR cameras.   You can offer then gratis or for a small fee.   

I'd charge a bit more.   Maybe $600.00.   Make sure you have insurance.   Having someone film a shoot might be a great sales tool.   By the way this is a very bright idea.

Feb 01 16 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If you get a fair amount of business at the $500 price you should probably stick with it.  Anytime prices go up sales go down when you're selling something that's not essential like food or gasoline.

You need to keep in mind that a lot of photographers are likely to think about your price in terms of how much they are actually paying per hour for shooting time.  You may be providing locations the photographers would not otherwise know about but they are still for the most part thinking that $500 gets them 5 hours of shooting.  The simple truth is that there are plenty of models in Vegas or visiting Vegas that would be happy to work for $100/hr and in many cases for considerably less.  If you raise your price some photographers may consider it a better deal to shoot in their hotel rooms.  For $500 they can probably do a couple of three hours shoots with other models.  The location will obviously not be the same as the locations you offer but they may feel they are getting more bang for their buck.  In addition, part of your competition is other local models that may be aware of some nice outdoor locations as well so you need to keep that in mind.

Feb 01 16 05:56 pm Link

Model

Wonderhussy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks everyone...you all basically confirmed what I was thinking. Some (non industry)  Facebook friends were making me feel like a chump for charging what I do for what I do...so I got insecure. You know how it is....

Feb 01 16 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

RTE Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Personally, I think that it is a great deal. You are providing the whole package including knowledge of the area and great places to shoot. I only wish I could afford to come to Vegas and take advantage of it. And yes, I would fill up your tank.

Feb 01 16 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

If you offered this in my area, I would snap up your offer in a millisecond. Unfortunately I don't have the budget or health to fly to Las Vegas.

And I respect your self confidence.

Feb 01 16 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Post hidden on Feb 02, 2016 03:36 pm
Reason: violates rules

Feb 01 16 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Post hidden on Feb 02, 2016 03:37 pm
Reason: violates rules

Feb 02 16 12:24 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Post hidden on Feb 02, 2016 03:37 pm
Reason: not helpful
Comments:
No need to quote posts that violate rules.

Feb 02 16 12:46 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

It seems like a reasonable price.

Feb 02 16 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

The OP is a great model and she is offering in my view a good value.   Many shooters traveling to new places don't know the best places to shoot.   Hotel rooms can be boring and sterile.   I like unusual locations.   She know the scenic spots.   In fact what I would do is organize small group shoots if I were her.   I've got mad respect for smart models like the OP.

Feb 02 16 01:24 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Wonderhussy wrote:
Is this a fair price?

[
There is no such thing as a fair price.
(Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs)

There is a price you want to cash. And there is a price the customer is willing to pay.

Recently I've had several people tell me I'm selling myself short, and that I should double this rate. But I'm not sure the market would bear that.

How tells this? People who have vast experience in this specific market? Than it is a valuable information. Otherwise it is a more or less pointless assumption.

My understanding is that most full-time freelance nude models charge around $100/hour...which is basically what I'm charging, if you go by total shooting time.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics says:
Quick Facts: Models
2014 Median Pay
$19,970 per year
$9.60 per hour

$100/hour for a short one-hour shooting may be realistic but I don't see $100/hour as an average model payment regarding overall average in this field. I see discounts which are very reasonable. Customer aquisition and the like cost feelance models a lot of time. Aquiring a full day job does not cost eight times effort than a one-hour job. Travel time, paperwork... discounts are obviously very reasonable.

But that's all just theory. In the end this does not matter. If you want to sell something to customers you have to think from the position of your (potential) customers. It's the only way it works.

Everybody has a budget. Professional photographers as well as amateurs. How many customers you think would be willing to pay $1000/day? Enough? Then do it. What fits your expectations better? One customer who pays $1000 or three customers who pay $500?

But at the same time, I am (to my knowledge) the only model who does this kind of thing in my area (I understand that most women would not be comfortable spending an 8-hour day in the middle of nowhere with a complete stranger).

That's not the point. The point is: are you the only one because you have a unique selling proposition with this offer and (potential) customers are lining up by the dozens? Or are you the only one because there is a clearly limited demand for $500-8-hour-desert-nude-photography-trips?

With a $500 price tag the package you offer is really quite compelling. Selling a quite compelling product is always a f* good business policy.
Between $500 and $1000 there is a big span. $500 plus gas? $500 plus 0,x$ per mile? $600?

Feb 02 16 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

If you break it down, you (the photographer) are paying $62.50 per hour for Wonderhussy's time. From the few group shoots I've gone to (Not my favorite thing to do, btw), I've seen photographers pay about $50 for a half hour session at a nice location (i.e. mansion, private beach or park, etc).  Based on her portfolio, Wonderhussy has a great eye for spotting locations that are far more interesting than some rich guy's bedroom or den. 

Personally, I think it's you're offering an AMAZING deal at a great price.  Especially considering the combination of a good model, great locations, and you providing the transportation.  I also think you'd be more than justified in asking for a higher rate, but you would likely edge out guys like me who are into this for the art/hobby and not necessarily making money off it (yet). 

I think you've got that right balance of charging a reasonable amount that is affordable to people who have to budget, yet a bargain for those who don't.  I say don't change a thing.

Feb 02 16 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

I see that rate as perfectly reasonable. Guided tour and multiple location availability for a full day. A taxi would cost more than that for the time involved.   ( I will assume there are location releases, property access permissions on file to preclude any legal problems)

Feb 02 16 04:51 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

Readers Digest used to test market items by mailing various people randomly with the same book at different prices, to see which price brought in the most orders.  It wasn't usually the cheapest, and sometimes it was the most expensive.  What something is perceived to be worth is not necessarily what someone is prepared to pay.  (Readers Digest came unstuck when people began to compare prices and the thing blew up in their faces.)

If you widely advertise your services at $500.00 and you are getting lots of happy takers then you have probably pitched the price about right.

And, as an aside, I thought the troll had been told to tone things down...

Feb 02 16 05:58 am Link

Photographer

Juicylicious

Orlando, Florida, US

Well 10-15 years ago I would gladly pay $500 for guided tours if I couldn't find those "secret" locations. But now I have a new and free tour guide, she will even guide me to Area 51 and 52.

Her name is Miss Google.

Feb 02 16 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

That seems like a very cool idea for the photographer on vacation in Las Vegas. borat

Feb 02 16 07:14 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

I think that's an excellent idea.  Not a direct comparison, but I've hired fishing guides in many different parts of the country.  An seat on an off-shore, 6 person, 8 hour trip with all equipment provided pretty consistently goes for $350 to $450, and a full day solo fly fishing trip with your own equipment goes for the same, so by that comparison $500 might be a bit on the high side but not out of the ball park.  I'll put that on my list of possible activities next time I'm in Vegas.

Feb 02 16 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Juicylicious wrote:
Well 10-15 years ago I would gladly pay $500 for guided tours if I couldn't find those "secret" locations. But now I have a new and free tour guide, she will even guide me to Area 51 and 52.

Her name is Miss Google.

Does Miss Google also model and drive? These are definitely value-added features.

OP, this is a great business plan - best of luck to you!

Feb 02 16 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Juicylicious

Orlando, Florida, US

https://cdn.mobilesyrup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/google-self-driving-car-prototype-front-three-quarters-1.jpg
https://core0.staticworld.net/images/article/2015/07/google-self-driving-car-100595280-primary.idge.jpg

with those big headlights and sexxy curvy body she can model for me too tongue (I'm just kidding)

Feb 02 16 08:58 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

D a v i d s o n wrote:
Your not worth 500 for 8 hrs simply put...

This might be considered outing... but you're an idiot, simply put.

I haven't seen a single thread where you had something to contribute, except to troll by saying exactly the opposite to the general consensus, if you could at least create one post without a spelling error, it might help make you seem like someone who's opinion should be worth considering, but then, after reading the words, people would realize, even if you spelled it all correctly, your comments aren't worth reading.

Feb 02 16 09:06 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Juicylicious wrote:

Her name is Miss Google.

Finding it on a map, and having someone take you there are two totally different things, and I can tell you from more than 1 trip out to the desert with Wonderhussy, you aren't going to find a better tour guide, chauffeur, and model, all in one package. smile (and you don't have to rent a vehicle either!). BTW, she's been to Area 51 too... smile She's well worth the price.

Feb 02 16 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Your price is reasonable.  I would pay it.

Feb 02 16 09:25 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Juicylicious wrote:
Well 10-15 years ago I would gladly pay $500 for guided tours if I couldn't find those "secret" locations. But now I have a new and free tour guide, she will even guide me to Area 51 and 52. 1981

Her name is Miss Google.

That's a very good point, however you'll never know what you don't know!
Lemme 'splain:

I've lived in the LV area since 1981 and often take road trips to wherever my car takes me to... in other words if you see a side road that leads to nowhere, I've probably driven down it.  There's very few roads within 100 mile radius that I haven't driven.  I've also worked as a guide on off road/ 4WD tours with a company similar to the well known "Pink Jeep Tours".

With that said, about 7 years ago I stumbled upon a town about 75 miles from here that has lots of hot springs.  People come from all over the world to visit the place, yet only a handful of people that live in Las Vegas have ever heard of it much less know where it is despite the many articles about it that can be found on Google.

I've been going to those springs on a regular basis (between 15 to 30 times a year) and know the area like the back of my hand... but even then I'm still discovering things that I never knew existed in and around the area.  Even though I dined at a restaurant in that area for over 5 years, I didn't know until about a year ago that there's a unique underground ghost town right across the street from it!   Yep, it's on Google plain as day, but you pretty much have to know about it first to find it in Google.  That's only one example.  There are MANY others (a church built out of a canyon, wigwam rentals, the funkiest hot spring resort with a pier that goes into a dry lake and a lighthouse so boats on the dry lake won't crash into it)

All findable via Google, but still unknown to almost everyone unless you have first hand knowledge.

Feb 02 16 09:35 am Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

If you are happy with the price you charge, well, stick with it. Fuck everyone else's ideas of what you should charge. smile
( NOW, my ideas about it)  :-P
For me, all that you offer, that would be worth 800 bucks, 100 per hr, I get guided tour with chauffeur and nude model bundled into one. smile 

I was always told if I am landing every client I submit a proposal to, I am charging way to little.
ANYWAYS, keep going and have fun smile

Feb 02 16 10:05 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Honestly undersell! That is one hell of a deal.
A very low price to get a chance to work with one of the hardest working, best freelance models on the internet.
Plus you are doing a tour of awesome shooting locations for free?

All I can say is that if your book doesn't fill up fast then people are missing out on something very big....

It is in my opinion a half price deal...

Feb 02 16 10:15 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

D a v i d s o n wrote:
Your not worth 500 for 8 hrs simply put...

Your right! She is worth a lot more!!! Do your homework and you will see....

Feb 02 16 10:24 am Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

Wonderhussy wrote:

I commend your thinking outside the box and offering a niche product to photographers living near, or visiting, Las Vegas. Your pricing seems reasonable for a full day of shooting. Personally, I'm already thinking "$500 + food + gas + tip = what I'm willing to pay".

I used to own an electronics repair company. My pricing was such that if my customer and I both thought the pricing was "fair", we'd do business again. I had quite a bit of repeat business. As others have stated, if you currently have plenty of work and want to cut down a bit, raise the price and see what happens.

Feb 02 16 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Rakesh Malik

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
I think you are wonderful and it is a great service to travelling photographers.  Very creative.

And very useful. And a great value. smile

Feb 02 16 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Having you as a model, tour guide of locations, and driver for 8 hours at a cost of $500?   My thoughts are that is a fantastic package!  I honestly think that you came up with the right amount to charge.   The reason I say that is I think anything less than $500 would be too little and to charge more ... well I am assuming that travel time is a part of that 8 hours as I would not expect model or myself as a photographer to put in a straight 8 hours of shooting time.  I would insist that travel time be a part of that.  Now if you are going to be able to provide 8 hours of shoot time ... I'd say charge more then. 

The thing is that I don't know the travel distance between locations, and I also don't know what the light will look like during the various times of the day.  If I knew more about the travel distances, along with the lighting ... as I might not want to shoot at noon time for example or I might only want to shoot a half day at fewer locations?  Okay, forget what I said about $500 for a moment.  Now I'm thinking as I type, but perhaps you can come up with two packages?  Let's say that one is the full package of an 8 hour (full) day for $675 and a half day rate of $425?  I could see myself going for one or the other package.   

We are "friends" on here and I think you are a fantastic model!   I'd love to shoot with you.

Feb 03 16 12:41 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

No.

I'd charge a full day. $800. I'm also not a stickler with time when it comes to half day/day shoots. We can shoot for an additional hour or so for that. Especially with location shoots.

Feb 03 16 04:40 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

DespayreFX wrote:

This might be considered outing... but you're an idiot, simply put.

I haven't seen a single thread where you had something to contribute, except to troll by saying exactly the opposite to the general consensus, if you could at least create one post without a spelling error, it might help make you seem like someone who's opinion should be worth considering, but then, after reading the words, people would realize, even if you spelled it all correctly, your comments aren't worth reading.

lol

<3

Feb 03 16 04:45 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Juicylicious wrote:

Her name is Miss Google.

I think this is probably the way the NSA collects recordings of zillions of e-mails and phone calls and nevertheless could not find those three calls arranging a terrorist attack... Insider information often works better than global surveillance.

Feb 03 16 06:18 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Motordrive Photography wrote:
That seems like a very cool idea for the photographer on vacation in Las Vegas. borat

You can get nice rooms for very little... Airfare deals to Vegas are usually pretty low compared to other US destinations.

You can easily take the deal OP is offering and airfare,hotel,rental car for about the same as what my daily rates are without expenses(meaning mine would be 800 pr day and you pay expenses)...Assuming you will book her for a few days (the best way to do it)... The kicker is that OP is a kick ass freelance Model... Offering a huge value...
If you ever had the desire to take your camera to Vegas? Time to pack....

Feb 05 16 04:26 am Link