Forums > General Industry > Reasonable charge for 8hr guided desert shoot?

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Your rate is a bargain and I think your service for photographers is a great idea.  If the price works for you (meaning you have a lot of bookings), I would't worry about what other people say.  Yes you can charge double but may only get GWC and money and fewer bookings.

Feb 05 16 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wonderhussy wrote:
My current business model:

Thoughts from fellow models and photographers?

I think what your posting means is I should be scheduling a trip with you because of the great value. What the weather like in November?

Feb 05 16 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Wonderhussy wrote:
Is this a fair price? Recently I've had several people tell me I'm selling myself short, and that I should double this rate. But I'm not sure the market would bear that.

Are the people telling you this the people who actually book you or are these just friends and family or people who follow you on FB or read your blog telling you this? The reason is, it's very easy for people to tell you to charge more when they aren't paying for it.

The ultimate question then, when it comes to understanding your market, is if someone is willing to spend $500, are they willing to spend $600? If they are willing to spend $600, are they willing to spend $750? Only you can answer that question.

The truth is, you have a very loyal following of GWCs on your blog and FB page, and these guys lap up everything you do like starving dogs. As such, these guys just say anything as a means of desperate adoration toward you. Not that it's a bad thing per se...you've captured a very good market in Vegas with these guys who travel from far and wide who want to shoot with you, but ultimate question to any of these people who say you should be charging more is, "OK, if I should be charging more, then when would YOU like to book a shoot at $1000?" That's the key. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback when they don't understand your business model or don't understand your market.

Personally, for what you do, I think $500 is a great rate and a fair rate, but you can always add on things to that to get the price up a bit. I know you are using your gopro a bit more now. Perhaps offer a service where, for $50 more, you can setup the gopro on a stand and record their shoot for them? Since you have their contact information, another idea might be to make a calendar at the end of the year with some cool photos you've shot that year and sell it to these guys for $25/each. This helps them remember the cool time they had with you AND it helps with your marketing to get you booked again with these guys the next time they come to Vegas...hell, they would be looking at you every day for a year!

So just raising your prices is very short-minded thinking. There are many other ways to make money from your clients other than just charging more on the front-end.

Feb 05 16 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Dorola wrote:

I think what your posting means is I should be scheduling a trip with you because of the great value. What the weather like in November?

When I have been to shoots in the nearby Arizona desert in November the temperature has been in the 70s to 80s.

Feb 05 16 06:04 am Link

Photographer

Larry F Mock

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

That rate is a BARGAIN! If I were in a position to plan another Vegas trip, I'd definitely book you. I'd even want to book at least one of your Goddess Collective friends too.

Feb 05 16 06:09 am Link

Model

KatrinaWhite

San Mateo, California, US

I think it is a great deal, and I would only suggest raising your rates if you're getting an abundance of work. $500 for a full day shooting in the desert does sound a little low to me, but I am also not the one who would be purchasing your package. I think doubling your rate would definitely be too high. Most modeling day rates that I've seen offered range between $500-$800 for an 8 hour day.

I charge for the number of hours I am on set/location, not the number of hours I am posing for the camera. While you may only be posing for 5 hours, you are on location for the full 8 hour day. Your time driving to these unique desert locations is valuable just as your time posing is. (And I've seen how amazing you are posing in the desert.)

Feb 07 16 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Wonderhussy wrote:
Is this a fair price? Recently I've had several people tell me I'm selling myself short, and that I should double this rate. But I'm not sure the market would bear that.

Shot By Adam wrote:
Are the people telling you this the people who actually book you or are these just friends and family or people who follow you on FB or read your blog telling you this? The reason is, it's very easy for people to tell you to charge more when they aren't paying for it.

The ultimate question then, when it comes to understanding your market, is if someone is willing to spend $500, are they willing to spend $600? If they are willing to spend $600, are they willing to spend $750? Only you can answer that question.

The truth is, you have a very loyal following of GWCs on your blog and FB page, and these guys lap up everything you do like starving dogs. As such, these guys just say anything as a means of desperate adoration toward you. Not that it's a bad thing per se...you've captured a very good market in Vegas with these guys who travel from far and wide who want to shoot with you, but ultimate question to any of these people who say you should be charging more is, "OK, if I should be charging more, then when would YOU like to book a shoot at $1000?" That's the key. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback when they don't understand your business model or don't understand your market.

Personally, for what you do, I think $500 is a great rate and a fair rate, but you can always add on things to that to get the price up a bit. I know you are using your gopro a bit more now. Perhaps offer a service where, for $50 more, you can setup the gopro on a stand and record their shoot for them? Since you have their contact information, another idea might be to make a calendar at the end of the year with some cool photos you've shot that year and sell it to these guys for $25/each. This helps them remember the cool time they had with you AND it helps with your marketing to get you booked again with these guys the next time they come to Vegas...hell, they would be looking at you every day for a year!

So just raising your prices is very short-minded thinking. There are many other ways to make money from your clients other than just charging more on the front-end.

This strikes me as being VERY wise advice.  He is suggesting that you upsell an existing customer rather than raise a barrier to acquiring customers.  I do think, though, that the calendar idea is worth more than $25.  Adam, I hope you're teaching a marketing course at UNLV.

Feb 07 16 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Managing Light wrote:
This strikes me as being VERY wise advice.  He is suggesting that you upsell an existing customer rather than raise a barrier to acquiring customers.  I do think, though, that the calendar idea is worth more than $25.  Adam, I hope you're teaching a marketing course at UNLV.

Nope, but that's where I attended my marketing classes! Thank you!

Feb 07 16 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Shotbyadam has offered a great idea.   I wouldn't charge for a calendar but offer that the best shot the photographer does you will make into a calendar as a thank you.   In fact you could just do one and send it to them.   http://www.staples.com/sbd/content/copy … ndars.html     You could sign it or put a lipstick kiss on it.   Include your email and contact number.   I mentioned it before but I would find a few reliable models.   This way small group shoots could be done or if you found you couldn't make a session you would have a back up model to offer.

Look into some of the smaller hotels.   Maybe they would be willing to offer discounts to traveling shooters.   Some are very unique.

Feb 07 16 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

I have planned trips to such places as Death Valley, done Dumont Dunes, have driven to some of the dunes you have posed on, presuming my memory of sand patterns is accurate. Also I have driven past the abandoned park and shot it. You could create a location company for music video, tv, and movies. As for your price it is reasonable, a really good deal, it gives these guys an epic journey into a spectacular landscape that is times eerie, and be very dangerous. As a boy I lived in the Mojave so. . . I salute your enterprise. I was lining up for a potential client El Mirage but it looks like that is just a financial hallucination on their part. Oh, well. I have actually shot the mirages there.  . .Oh, and I videoed them as well.

Feb 07 16 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Though as of yet I haven't found the need to pay models to work with me, if I was vacationing in Vegas that sounds like something I'd definitely find room in the budget for. Seems like it'd be a great way to see a lesser seen side of Nevada and get some solid imagery to boot. As others have said, if you're consistently booking photographers at that rate, you can probably bump the price a bit.

Feb 10 16 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Wonderhussy wrote:

For a $500 day rate, I will pick up a photographer from his Vegas hotel and drive him around the desert for 8 hours total, stopping at three unique desert locations to pose nude (red rocks/slot canyons, dry lake bed, abandoned industrial site). Total shooting time at each location around 1.5 hours. I drive, and will even cover gas (most of the time, the photographer ends up filling my tank for me, but it is not a requirement).

My understanding is that most full-time freelance nude models charge around $100/hour...which is basically what I'm charging, if you go by total shooting time. But at the same time, I am (to my knowledge) the only model who does this kind of thing in my area (I understand that most women would not be comfortable spending an 8-hour day in the middle of nowhere with a complete stranger).

It is nice to see a business savoy model appears on MM.  Good for you.  I would not want to sse you rise the price but rather make it ever better values for both you and the photographer.

Team up with another model and add one more photographer.  It will make two teams.  It will give twice amount of opportunity for the paying customer, and add value to business model.   

Just a reminder, hire the model yourself and make sure the non-compete agreement is in place.  You don't want anyone to steal your ideas and your clients. 

Good luck.  smile

Feb 10 16 07:10 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Wonderhussy wrote:

For a $500 day rate, I will pick up a photographer from his Vegas hotel and drive him around the desert for 8 hours total, stopping at three unique desert locations to pose nude (red rocks/slot canyons, dry lake bed, abandoned industrial site). Total shooting time at each location around 1.5 hours. I drive, and will even cover gas (most of the time, the photographer ends up filling my tank for me, but it is not a requirement).

My understanding is that most full-time freelance nude models charge around $100/hour...which is basically what I'm charging, if you go by total shooting time. But at the same time, I am (to my knowledge) the only model who does this kind of thing in my area (I understand that most women would not be comfortable spending an 8-hour day in the middle of nowhere with a complete stranger).

I know the rumor is that most free lance models make that rate but, I don't think full day rates would equal out to that hourly rate. I also agree that if you currently have a market, then why price yourself out of it. Could be your rates that are keeping you busy in the first place.

edit: Whoa, you are the model, in that case, yes, I think you could increase your rate but, I wouldn't double it. Maybe just up it some and then ask the photographers, (as part of pre shoot negotiations,) to first fill up your tank and purchase water to drink before you head out to the desert, (logistical things that will help!)

Jen

Feb 10 16 07:11 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Lisbon, Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, Portugal

I would totally pick you up on that offer

Feb 14 16 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

why not slowly increase your price and see if the demand drop off?

Feb 19 16 02:44 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

barepixels wrote:
why not slowly increase your price and see if the demand drop off?

For what she is offering She can get double that. The point being she is throwing out there a extreme bargain.

Feb 29 16 01:33 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Update please smile
How is the offer going?

Mar 21 16 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

GSmithPhoto

Alameda, California, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:
Update please smile
How is the offer going?

I'm hoping that she's too busy working to respond...

May 17 16 02:17 pm Link