Forums > Model Colloquy > Models, Los Angeles, and far away area codes

Photographer

crx studios

Los Angeles, California, US

Something that has always fascinated me:

More often than not, the models I work with have area codes from another state. I’m not talking about traveling models. I’m talking about models who are living here. I've always assumed it’s because, hey . . . it’s Hollywood. All sorts of creative types gravitate here from all over the world, right?

But I’m curious, are there any other factors involved? Does it happen other places in the country as well? Are people just moving about more than they used to? Or is it just more noticeable because cell phones make it easier to keep your old number no matter how many times you move?

Feb 21 16 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

RTE Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

It may be that they have kept the phone number from their home town when they moved to LA.

Feb 21 16 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I know a couple of models who moved from the Midwest to LA.

Feb 21 16 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

crx studios

RTE Photography wrote:
It may be that they have kept the phone number from their home town when they moved to LA.

Yeah, that’s pretty much a given. I’m just trying to dig a bit deeper here. Is it primarily occurring in big cities like Los Angeles, where there is potentially more creative work, or is it happening in smaller towns as well? Are people just moving around a lot more?

Feb 21 16 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Culturally Destitute

Seattle, Washington, US

Area codes pretty much mean nothing these days. I have a FL area code and live in WA. Been living in Seattle for the last 12 years. No reason to change.

Feb 21 16 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's been a Hollywood tradition for many years . . . . young, attractive, talented people leave their home towns and move to LA because that's where the work is for the entertainment industry.

They bring their cell phones with them from where ever they came from.

Area codes don't necessarily indicate where the call is generated from.

KM

Feb 21 16 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy35

Goodyear, Arizona, US

It's everywhere, and it's not just models.  There's no reason now to change cell phone numbers just because you move.

Feb 21 16 07:36 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Some people don't change their numbers when they move to a new city or state.

Feb 21 16 07:44 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I still have a North Carolina number, though I haven't lived there in over 7 years.

I have no issue with my phone service, and therefore no desire to change my number.

I've had the same number and provider for 13 years. I'd like to keep it that way.

Feb 22 16 01:59 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

crx studios wrote:

Yeah, that’s pretty much a given. I’m just trying to dig a bit deeper here. Is it primarily occurring in big cities like Los Angeles, where there is potentially more creative work, or is it happening in smaller towns as well? Are people just moving around a lot more?

It happens in health care too. I know lots of nurses who have area codes from all over, patients too.

Jen

Feb 22 16 08:24 pm Link