Forums > Model Colloquy > Are tattoos THAT big of a deal?

Photographer

JohnEnger

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

MoniqueWie wrote:
So I'm fairly new to the modeling world, but I would LOVE to eventually start doing paid shoots. My question is, are tattoos generally frowned upon for paid shoots? I have my whole calf done, but it's very artistic (and hey - I think it looks awesome). Would love to pick your guy's brains on this.
Or maybe is it possible to cover up tattoos? Have any of you ever done that either? Thanks so much for your time!

Depending on what requirements are for the shoot they may be a big deal.
If you are planning on draping yourself over a harly an pose for tattoo magazine they will certainly ne a plus.
My personal experience is that they exclude more work than clear skin.

If I can choose between a model with clear skin and a model with tattoos the cone with clear skin will win 99 times out of 100.

Regarding retouching and covering up tats, I'd rater pick another model than spend the extra time in post...

J.

Jun 04 16 07:48 am Link

Model

CrystalWat

Macon, Georgia, US

So long as they aren't visible gang affiliated tattoos, I'm not sure why they would be. If push comes to shove, the photographer can have them edited out.

Jun 04 16 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Andreas

Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine

CrystalWat wrote:
So long as they aren't visible gang affiliated tattoos, I'm not sure why they would be. If push comes to shove, the photographer can have them edited out.

when you have to do a designers catalogue with fifty looks to create it's not just one tattoo removal, it's fifty tattoo removals , multiply with five minutes and it makes four hours of work extra. If there's a second tattoo involved, make this eight hours.  I inform my client of this, charge extra. Now if they still want to use a tattooed model without the tattoos being visible, then it's up to them.

Generally, tattoos limit your market to "alternative" modeling. Of course there are jobs for this kind of modeling, like one thousand times fewer, however.

Jun 04 16 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

CrystalWat wrote:

Unless you are a Photoshop expert and have actually retouched out tattoos (especially large ones) and know how much time it can take to get a natural result, then I suggest your comment is uninformed at best and misleading at worst.

Jun 04 16 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

CrystalWat wrote:
If push comes to shove, the photographer can have them edited out.

Many things are possible, but not everything that is possible is worth doing.

I have photographed some models despite their tattoos, and often I edit the tattoos out, but I have declined to photograph a great many more models because of their tattoos.

For me, a tattoo is always a net negative, and usually a deal-breaker.

Jun 04 16 04:47 pm Link

Model

Account subscribed

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

Everything is possible but sometimes photographers seems to have enough with flaws people didn't choose. I mean things like boobs and ducklips people choose but other types of operation scars are very often not on purpose. Many things that you can do to look beautiful, like bleeching your teeth and suntans, may cause cancer and give some people eating problems which isn' t advices photographers usually claim, from what I have heard.  I guess they are acting at their common sense here and try to do what people can not be blamed for or the client pays for. I guess tatoos will qualify into the genre one has to take responibility for. Look at it the positive way. They have enough with my wrinkles smile

Jun 04 16 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

HBnds

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Some shoots I don't want skin alterations.
I'm not good at photoshop.
Models with tattoos need not apply to those kind of shoots.

Jun 04 16 10:52 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Monique,

While I believe it is generally true that tattoos limit the work you will get in fashion and glamour, should you decide to shoot nudes one day, there are many skilled and recognized photographers, both here and over seas, who still seek out models with body art.

The majority of very accomplished fine art nude photographers I know prefer no tattoos, so even with nudes the number of jobs offers will be fewer I imagine. Still, having a niche is not always a bad thing if you work hard and market yourself appropriately.

I wish you the best.

Jun 05 16 05:32 am Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I'm coming late for this but here's my experience.

I've been a full-time model in Paris for 6 years now. Some of my (well-established) model friends got tiny tattoos some time ago. It doesn't stop them from working but every now and then someone will just MENTION it. It's not a big deal.

In all those years I've 1 or 2 (tops) models with huge tattoos. I believe they weren't modeling full time. It sure was part of their "look". But that was THE one look they could do.

Jun 07 16 11:41 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Magda Kulpinska wrote:

I've been a full-time model in Paris for 6 years now. Some of my (well-established) model friends got tiny tattoos some time ago. It doesn't stop them from working but every now and then someone will just MENTION it. It's not a big deal.

In all those years I've 1 or 2 (tops) models with huge tattoos. I believe they weren't modeling full time. It sure was part of their "look". But that was THE one look they could do.

Valuable answer.

Jun 07 16 12:04 pm Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Always a pleasure wink

Jun 09 16 03:21 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Magda Kulpinska wrote:

This probably sums up all the best answers so far in this discussion.

Being limited to ONE look could potentially be a really bad thing when there's no way that you can change that look.

I see only one possible exception, which would be if you are one of only a few models in a particular niche, then you might be in demand for being different from everyone else.

People who absolutely love something have no issues with it, and people who absolutely dislike something know to avoid it. Another (smaller?) group in the middle can take it or leave it, and it doesn't really matter to them. The numbers on each side are the problem when there are a lot more who need to avoid it than there are who are seeking it.

Jun 09 16 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

As a fine art photographer I would prefer no ink on my models.  Sometimes it cant be avoided .

Jun 10 16 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

CrystalWat wrote:

OR...they can just save the aggravation and time and use a model without tattoos.

I always find it humorous when someone assumes a photographer will just use photoshop like its using an eraser on a pencil.

Its a LOT of work...

Jun 10 16 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

Here in Shakey Town, there are nice well-paid gigs as body doubles in the movie/TV industry. All sorts of doubling, including nude. Nude doubling pays well and also can be an entry into union membership. Ink is a big drawback, especially for the nude work, but also for much non-nude work. Concealer takes time, is often imperfect, and washes off in rain, weather, etc. Friends of mine have been flatly refused by agencies ("Don't even send me pictures...") when they admitted to being inked.

And in general, the higher-end modeling and the more mainstream you go, the less they'll tolerate tattoos.Playboy, e.g., hates tattoos.

I've shot lots of people inked and non-inked. My opinion doesn't matter; what matters is your goals and how tatts affect those goals. And btw, I've had a few "reader photos" published in various tattoo magazines and biker mags.

Jun 11 16 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

CrystalWat wrote:

This common misconception is 99% wrong.

Jun 29 16 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

CrystalWat wrote:

Jeez I so fucking hate it when people say this!!! A better alternative is to just find a model who doesn't have tattoos that need editing out.

The only time I pay for models with tattoos is if I'm doing a shoot for a biker magazine or a tattoo magazine. Every other instance, any visible tattoos on a model is an instant disqualification. Why should I add lots of extra work to a shoot to remove a tat when I can just get a model without one and save myself the trouble? I did a shoot last month for a watch magazine out of Sweden and they asked me to round up two models for the shoot. When I asked them what kind of look they wanted in the models, the FIRST words they said were, "No tattoos please". Hell, I did a recent photo shoot for a major motorcycle company and even they made it very clear that they didn't want models with tattoos.

Jun 29 16 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

It depends on the type of tattoos, the location, the size and how many tattoos.

Jun 29 16 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

Pomona, California, US

MoniqueWie wrote:
So I'm fairly new to the modeling world, but I would LOVE to eventually start doing paid shoots. My question is, are tattoos generally frowned upon for paid shoots? I have my whole calf done, but it's very artistic (and hey - I think it looks awesome). Would love to pick your guy's brains on this.
Or maybe is it possible to cover up tattoos? Have any of you ever done that either? Thanks so much for your time!

To cover up tattoos.. Try an alcohol base makeup, such as skin illustrator or SKT skin coverup

Jul 18 16 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

MoniqueWie wrote:

1. Depends on the photographer
2. Yes, use Demablend of Kat Von D's concealer and some powder

Jul 18 16 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Connor Photography wrote:
For internet modeling, NO.

Best answer yet.

Jul 21 16 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Samanta B

London, England, United Kingdom

It depends what kind of work you're going for - most TFP work or work with amateur photographers who need to/are willing to pay for models and also topless/nude work it won't matter about tattoos .

If agency work is what you're aiming for - although there are a couple of fashion girls about at the moment with "special bookings" sections of big agencies - in the most part tattoos are a no no - I have a small one on my hip and even that has been a deal breaker for commercial and fashion jobs (Im also an agency model - Ford).

x

Jul 22 16 04:16 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

EVERYTHING is that big of a deal.

If you are a blond and they are looking for a redhead, you won't get the job.

If you are tall and they are looking for a shorter model, you won't get the job.

If you are small-breasted and they are looking for busty, you won't get the job.

The list goes on and on. And includes tattoos. Whether you have them or not will limit your opportunities. That being said, there are more openings for blonds that redheads, more openings for tall than short, more openings for busty and more openings for no tattoos.

So, are tattoos a big deal. Yup. Everything is a big deal.

Jul 22 16 04:25 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Dannielle Levan wrote:
1. Depends on the photographer
2. Yes, use Demablend of Kat Von D's concealer and some powder

Hi,

fwiw I invested a chunk of change on dermablend but in the end couldn't really ever get it to work on me. Its a 3 part process and apparently as tricky as baking a soufflé.

I made the mistake of using it on my face when I forgot my favorite foundation and HOLEY COW, was it dry!!! Then again, maybe it dried out because it sat around for so long.

Then again, it could be the amount of acreage, (skin,) I have ink on too.

Jen

Jul 22 16 06:50 am Link

Model

MichelleNikkita

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Kat Von D has some great makeup to cover up tattoos. No matter how big, or colorful. Kinda exspensive covering a lot of tatoos (My right side is covered, a big thigh tattoo. Theyve never affected me getting work though) but if it's something that could make or break an opportunity, it's worth it. (:

Aug 10 16 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Thirsa Nijwening

Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands

It really depends on so many things. First of all: What kind of tattoos you have, the size etc. It is a little different if you have a small patch on your back then having a full sleeve. Second of all is the placement. If you have tattoo's in really obnoxious places (sleeve, legs, that kind of thing) it will be a problem. And also, what kind of stuff you have tattooed. Someone with skulls all over will be less interesting for fashion photographers when they actually accept a tattooed model then someone with some elegant b/w roses or anything.

As a photographer myself I don't have any problems with models with tattoo's since I've got a few big ones myself, but it really depends on what you're shooting. If the client insists on a model without tattoos and we're shooting, for example a dress, I wouldn't mind if the girl had a tattoo which is covered by the dress at all. But if it's for lingerie or anything more nude and it is visible you have to listen to the client (or Photoshop it away but yeah ..).

As to the other side, I frequently do some model gigs myself as well and I've never had any problems so far with my tattoos. I have a fairly big sternum piece, a piece on my left upper leg and a small piece on my back. So far I haven't had any problems at all since most of the time it's possible to cover it.

In my TFP work I'd like to have models with a bit more of attitude so frequently I'd work with tattooed models smile

Aug 12 16 04:22 am Link

Model

Sienna Luna

Brooklyn, New York, US

Koryn wrote:
None of the hundreds of people I've worked with in the past ten years - both photographers and classical artists - really had that big of a problem with my tattoos.

So, really, the answer here is that it - like so many other things - doesn't matter that much.

People just want what they want, and talk about what they want - but the reality is they will happily work with whomever is most reliable, communicative and professional.

The criteria so many photographers love to lay out in the MM forums is a reflection of their fantasy situations, not the reality of finding models day-to-day for personal projects.

I agree with most of this. However, I do have several people I have worked with, who have told me that they have not hired certain models on the pretense that they are too heavily tattooed, these are usually people whose work is in galleries and is more focused on skin, body shapes, 'classical fine art nudes' if you will. And I do have people pretty regularly comment on my having no tattoos and how that compliments my look/body type. I have even heard artists put down models who are my friends and wonderful models because they have tattoos!! Ugh. That really just drives me crazy and is so vapid, in my opinion.

I went to art school where it is actually kind of weird if you don't have a tattoo, or at least a stick and poke, most of my friends, and past partners have at least a few tattoos, and most of them would be considered "heavily" tattooed.
So, I have definitely considered tattoos, and part of the reason I have held back on getting anything is because I am worried it would reduce my bookings. Because of this so - called classical / renaissance model aesthetic I have. I have thought of getting something unobtrusive too.

Aug 23 16 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Bruce

CLEARWATER BEACH, Florida, US

I own and operate a Horror/Parody themed t-shirt site I design and shoot for, so my market usually caters to tattooed individuals and attractive models in my gear is a high selling point.

That being said, living in Florida, it seems EVERY female has tattoos, and I've come to enjoy finding and shooting those who have none more so for my photography body of work.

Sep 28 16 06:41 am Link

Model

Figuremodel001

Chicago, Illinois, US

Depends on the nature of the work. Some may be adverse to having another artist's work appearing in the art they are making. Often tats are used to make a statement, does the decision maker agree with the statement? If yes, do they want to bring more attention to the statement? There may also be an age related view of tattoos in general in society. Younger may be more likely to like/approve, older just ask why did (s)he do that to themselves?

Sep 28 16 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Yes it is a big deal.  As a fine art photographer I prefer models not to have tattoos .

Sep 28 16 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Saitama

New York, New York, US

i don't know if they're a big problem or not, but as a general rule I've never known a tattoo, especially a really large one, to enhance a female model's appearance imo.  If anything they are usually a distraction at the very least and an eye sore at the very worse.

Sep 28 16 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS wrote:

To cover up tattoos.. Try an alcohol base makeup, such as skin illustrator or SKT skin coverup

Can you also use this on heavy stretch marks?

Sep 28 16 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS wrote:

Vodka may help to blurr the photographer's vision!

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
Can you also use this on heavy stretch marks?

Hey Risen... where the hell are you parking your new avatar???

Wanna see a close up of your work... smile

Sep 28 16 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

GlassHouses Photography

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

For me personally, I prefer no tattoos. My focus tends to lean toward capturing a youthful natural look. Today that is getting harder as more younger girls have at least one or two tattoos - in fact it is becoming difficult to find a girl with none.

When I do find a model with no tattoos, they are much more appealing to me, both because they match my natural look concepts, and because they are more rare today.

Bottom line for me is that if a model has everything else I am looking for and I don't find one with no tattoos, I'll go with one or two if they can be hidden, are subtle, can be edited out, or look ok for the shoot but for the most part, it can be a deal breaker for me.

Dec 18 16 08:42 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

MoniqueWie wrote:

I have no tattoos, no piercings (other than earlobes), and no body modifications at all. The number of times I've received emails from photographers gushing over how they never find models with tattoos and we must work together is interesting to me. I guess I'd never realized until I started doing this just how many people have tattoos.

I shoot art nude and portrait work pretty much exclusively at this point. Overall, none of them like tattoos and spend at least a small portion of the shoot bewailing the state of tattooed bodies. I'm guessing they don't say these things to girls with tattoos. So, yes, in the genres I work in, tattoos are very frowned upon. I receive a lot of paid work simply for not having them at all.

I've heard it's possible to buy some sort of makeup to cover them. No idea how well it works though - and if it covers other important things like skin texture, bone structure, etc.

Jan 08 17 04:55 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

There's a bizarre legal twist which could arise. The tattoo artist or the copyright owner of the 'flash' owns copyright in the tattoo. He could theoretically sue or shake down a photographer/videographer over copyright infringement.

See, e.g.:  http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 … wsuit.html

Involving a closely-related legal issue involving copying of Mike 'The Ear-Chewer' Tyson's tattoo as part of a gimmick in a vulgar movie.

Jan 10 17 11:51 am Link