Forums > Model Colloquy > Are tattoos THAT big of a deal?

Photographer

Doug Stringham

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Rob Photosby wrote:
Overall, I give tattoos a definite thumbs down.

Agreed on this point.

Mar 07 16 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I hate them. I think a person has the right to do anything they want to their body and if they want ink that is fine. But as a photographer I find them very distracting. Unless I was doing a shoot that required the tat I would never hire a model who had one that would be visible in the picture. The only exception would be some tiny little thing that I could easily remove in photoshop. That is one thing but a large tat or a sleeve is too much. I have had some models who would have been perfect not get selected because of their ink. Of course in these situations it was the client who said no to the model.

Mar 07 16 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Slow Burn

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

NO tattoos.

Mar 07 16 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

So, so many beautiful women I pass over because of this ink thing.

Mar 07 16 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

yes.

Mar 07 16 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jene Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

As a photographer and magazine publisher who is interested in fine art figure photography It boggles my mind that a model male or female is tattooed. The object of my photography is the human form. Why would I want to publicize  another artist work?

I believe the human form to be lovely as it is. Yes do I shoot different types of the form. As a publisher I might do a tattoo series or issue yes. But why would  models who are selling their bodies cover themselves with tattoos of someones else's art?

To set the subjects straight about tattoos I have three myself but  am not offering my body for pay. Oh well just  my 2 cents

jene

Mar 07 16 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Personally, I like tattoos, I might even have one smile

But looking through my port, I see out of almost 60 shots, I have 3 with models that have tattoos (and 2 of those are the same girl), and that's all.

While I personally have no problem with them, and I actually like them, for this visual medium we're in, I find they limit options for me too much. It's much more difficult to pull off an elegant look in an evening gown, or even, *anything*, with a coloured tattoo sleeve down one arm.

I can see far more reasons to pass over a model with tattoos than I can think of reasons to specifically get a model with a tattoo. Therefore, purely for the options alone, there's your answer. Limit yourself, or don't.

Hope that helps.

Mar 08 16 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

If you are doing alternative or nude, etc. mixed results. Fashion or mainstream, you bet it will matter.

Mar 08 16 04:59 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

No problem here, I shoot a wide variety of styles, for a wide variety of clients  .  .  .  for sk8, urban, biker chic, surf and a buncha other "stuff" they're actually a plus  .  .  .  just need to match the "tats" to the project  .  .  .  you're welcome in front of my lens anytime  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Mar 08 16 05:24 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Jene Youtt wrote:
But why would  models who are selling their bodies cover themselves with tattoos of someones else's art?

Thank you so much for making models sound like prostitutes.

P.S. I know many models who have tattoos that are not "someone else's art".

Mar 08 16 07:25 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

None of the hundreds of people I've worked with in the past ten years - both photographers and classical artists - really had that big of a problem with my tattoos.

So, really, the answer here is that it - like so many other things - doesn't matter that much.

People just want what they want, and talk about what they want - but the reality is they will happily work with whomever is most reliable, communicative and professional.

The criteria so many photographers love to lay out in the MM forums is a reflection of their fantasy situations, not the reality of finding models day-to-day for personal projects.

Mar 08 16 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Fred Ackerman

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Preferably a 'blank' canvas is my choice.. If I can't see the tattoo, I could care less.. If it covers arms and legs, that's a deal breaker. I would never hire a model for a lingerie shoot who came with her own 'art'.

Mar 08 16 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

A tattoo is an automatic rejection when I look for a model. The only exception is when it's small, out of the way, and I'm doing erotic work.  Not that it aids in the photo, it's that it seems the mindset for doing erotic and for having tattoo's are many times found in the same person.

Mar 08 16 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Thidwick

Columbus, Ohio, US

It all depends on the intended outcome.
As a person, I love tattoos and think they are incredibly interesting, autobiographical, great conversation pieces, etc., but as a photographer they can be limiting and hard to work with if you're trying to draw focus to a pose, an expression, a composition...because tattoos, by nature, are distracting. They are outward expressions on your body that you want to be seen. When that factors in to a photograph, things such as bright colors, or intricate designs, or words all pull the viewers attention away from the primary subject, unless, of course, the primary subject is that tattoo.

If you go into a museum, and there is a beautiful sculpture with amazing detail and unique features, you're going to have a completely different perspective of that artwork as compared to the exact same sculpture that suddenly has a small painting somewhere on the surface of it. My guess is that you'll be primarily focused on that small painting as opposed to the sculpture as a whole.

It's not good or bad, it just is.

Mar 08 16 08:21 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

What follows can not be scientifically verified, merely personal opinion.

The acceptability of tattoos for models depends entirely on the purpose and market the work is produced for.

An individual models self opinion is not the decisive factor when casting for client assignments.

Acceptability:

Not a deal breaker for most glamour and alternative work.

Genuine mass market fashion assignments much less accepting.

Fine art as defined by gallery owners, publishers, curators and print collector markets rarely invest in works of tattooed models.

Unfair, perhaps, but then what industry is?

Mar 08 16 08:40 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

I'll also note that the OP is listed as in Las Vegas, where finding any model without a tattoo is very difficult (with one reasonably popular exception). If people are looking for a tattooed model there, she's going to have an extremely large field of competitors, whereas, the opposite is true if she markets herself as "tattoo-less". Just an observation.

Mar 08 16 09:35 am Link

Photographer

JoshuaRud

Joliet, Illinois, US

Basically if you are going to go big, get them everywhere, and make sure they are damn good.  There is a huge market for tattoo's out there. Yes it may be niche, but you can easily tell just by the massive amount of tattoo Instagram pages with millions of followers, that people are into it.  I work with tattoo's a lot, and sell the photos a lot, but you will definitely be putting yourself into a corner and won't be able to do a lot of things you might want to.

Mar 08 16 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Rob Sinkus Photography

JOBSTOWN, New Jersey, US

My take -
I see the tattoo artist as just that, an artist. If I'm photographing a model, I don't want to document another's art work. I want to create my own art work.

Mar 08 16 10:26 am Link

Model

Mr. Tengu

New York, New York, US

Jene Youtt wrote:
But why would  models who are selling their bodies cover themselves with tattoos of someones else's art?

Isis22 wrote:
Thank you so much for making models sound like prostitutes.

P.S. I know many models who have tattoos that are not "someone else's art".

Thanks Isis, you are absolutely correct on all counts!

Jene... you don't know me or my actual account... I am a fashion photographer in NYC and even in the fashion world... in our market, tattoos are much easier accepted than in smaller markets.

There have been a ton of threads about that already on MM over the past (for me almost 11) years, with proof of fashion models with tattoos on and off the runway at fashion week...

Lastly, making blanket statements of "models covered in someone else's art", just demonstrates that you are oblivious about tattoos, their function, not just as "fashion" but as a form of identity, practiced as one of the oldest art forms.

Many years ago, the Metropolitan Museum of Art even had an entire exhibit dedicated to tattoos, called "Marks of Identity"... which is, IIRC already over1.5 decades ago..., just to add info to the point I am making.

Sincerely;

Mar 08 16 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

It is easier to put fake tats on then to remove it or cover it if someone wants model with tats.

Mar 08 16 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

JoshuaRud

Joliet, Illinois, US

ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:
It is easier to put fake tats on then to remove it or cover it if someone wants model with tats.

lol yeah right.. look up how long it took them to put on the fake tattoos for prison break.  They eventually built into the story that he got them removed because it was such a pain in the ass.  They also made makeup that will cover tattoos if its a huge problem, look up what they did to Kat Von D

Mar 08 16 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Tattoos are an automatic plus for me. No problem incorporating them into Fashion, Beauty and Glamour style shots.

They are like any other difference between models. If I want a Redhead for a specific look, I'm not going to bother with a Blond or Brunette.

If I need a model who is 5'4", a model who is 5' 8" isn't going to cut it. Shoe size is also somewhat limiting.

Find your niche and work hard to be reliable.

Mar 08 16 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

MoniqueWie wrote:
So I'm fairly new to the modeling world, but I would LOVE to eventually start doing paid shoots. My question is, are tattoos generally frowned upon for paid shoots? I have my whole calf done, but it's very artistic (and hey - I think it looks awesome). Would love to pick your guy's brains on this.
Or maybe is it possible to cover up tattoos? Have any of you ever done that either? Thanks so much for your time!

The answer usually depends on a number of factors:
1. The nature of the tattoo
2. The location on the model's body
3. The quality of the image
4. The requirements of the shoot (e.g., its intended audience, use, etc.)
5  The preferences of the photographer
6. Whether the photographer will have to get rid of it in post-work.
7. Whether the model is good enough at what she does to make the photographer forget about all of the above.

Yes, they can be covered up, either with clothes, or in post-production editing, (and that's a pain lots of times).

Here are four images of the same model with lots of tattoos. She is also a very fine tattoo-artist, (and designed the finer, lacy-style ones herself), and a phenomenal dancer and model, though she had never previously modeled.

1. Covered with a dress and mostly hidden in the pose:     
    https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39478765

2. Featured *for* the tattoos:
    https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39478441
    https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39478446  (18+)
    https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39479290   (18+)

She took these photos (and some others we shot) to Honolulu and was signed by Wilhelmina-Hawaii within a few weeks.

So, it's not a BIG deal, EXCEPT when commercial or personal-taste constrictions are paramount.

Mar 09 16 03:43 am Link

Photographer

davew

Ephrata, Pennsylvania, US

If  someone is paying me for the shoot and they have tattoos? who cares,
If I have a choice on a tfp shoot? I won't choose a model with tattoos..
see my pic there to the left this is the same girl as below.. she wrecked her whole modeling career with nose rings tats.. she did  pretty good locally until she got all into this.. so it is your own choice....
http://i.imgur.com/BX7TScM.jpg

Mar 10 16 07:46 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I agree they can be a distraction and draw away from a set design so I prefer not to use them.  That or Dermablend them away by the MUAH person.

However, there are rare times they can be useful.  I did one with a model who had a pair of love bird tats on her stomach.  Luckily, the customized Shoei helmet had almost the same design on the white chin area as well as the upper sides of the helmet.  A bit of tilt-lens effect to confuse the mix a bit, but the symmetry of her tats along with those of the helmet worked out.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160309/10/56e07163654b7.jpg

Don't know if they added or not to the effect overall, but one possible incorporated use - maybe.

Mar 10 16 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Tattoos will be a problem for many shoots.  Large ones are difficult and time consuming to photoshop out.    It's not easy to "remove" tats for a shoot in which they are problematic.  If desired, it's much easier to add a fake one specific to the needs of a shoot.

Mar 10 16 09:23 am Link

Model

MoniqueReneeModel

Salem, Massachusetts, US

Thanks so much for the input, everyone! I actually feel much better about my tattoos. I love my ink, they're a part of me, and I'll just have to find photographers who will roll with that, and accept that there are a lot that won't. smile

Mar 10 16 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

If they are coherent, from the same artist, it can be beautiful....But if they are like stickers that you would place on a refrigerator.......They may result in a long, time consuming Photoshop job!....

Mar 12 16 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

While a tattoo is a very personal thing to the person who has it, to everyone else it means very little. Some will appreciate it, others won't.

Mar 13 16 12:06 am Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Racine, Wisconsin, US

When in doubt, there is always Dermablend.

Mar 13 16 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

MoniqueWie wrote:
Thanks so much for the input, everyone! I actually feel much better about my tattoos. I love my ink, they're a part of me, and I'll just have to find photographers who will roll with that, and accept that there are a lot that won't. smile

Exactly

Mar 14 16 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

I think they can detract from my images so I prefer my models not have any showing.

Mar 14 16 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

MoniqueWie wrote:
So I'm fairly new to the modeling world, but I would LOVE to eventually start doing paid shoots. My question is, are tattoos generally frowned upon for paid shoots? I have my whole calf done, but it's very artistic (and hey - I think it looks awesome). Would love to pick your guy's brains on this.
Or maybe is it possible to cover up tattoos? Have any of you ever done that either? Thanks so much for your time!

In my opinion, honestly it depends.
If I want to work with a model, and it's for my personal work, I do not care if the model has tattoos or not.
Now I do quite a bit of catalog, fashion and commercial work, and there are some clients that absolutely insist that the models do not have any tattoos. Some clients are OK as long as the tattoos are small or are not seen in the images, specially for catalog work.

As I said it depends on a lot of factors. I think most photographers do not care for personal projects, but when the work is for a client and the client is paying for it, they make the rules. As always IMHO...

Mar 14 16 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Eclectic Vision

Toledo, Ohio, US

If it is a cool looking, well done tattoo, I generally don't mind them.

I can't say anything about your particular tattoo because this is not the critique forum.

Mar 15 16 05:10 am Link

Photographer

DGI Concepts

New York, New York, US

Tats " within reason" are OK  but once it gets to "Suicide Girl" candidate I pass.

Mar 17 16 07:04 am Link

Photographer

4 R D

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

Imagine wearing the same T-shirt for the rest of your life. It might be the coolest T-shirt ever and totally rock at the concert of your favourite band but it will not be the best fashion choice for most of other social situations. That's what you'll be doing as a tattooed model, showing up to the job with the same shirt every time.

The best models have -among many other qualities- a versatile image that allows them to pull many looks with little help. Tattoos will reduce that range of looks to only one or two concepts.

At best, tattoos are like annoying fashion accesories that you can't take off nor replace easily, thus becoming a distraction. At worst, they're tacky interventions that ruin, not enhance, the natural beauty of the human body.

Mar 17 16 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Ike Lace Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Many don't like them.

Mar 18 16 01:41 am Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

TATs can distract.

Mar 22 16 02:48 am Link

Photographer

sunn fotography

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

depends on where are the tattoos. most of the time winter clothing can cover up!!

and sometimes street brands asking for models with tattoos!! and sometimes they do temp tattoos on models!!

Its really depend on the cup of tea that clients want.

Its better NOT to have any tattoo.

Cheers

Mar 22 16 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

i love tattoos, but they limit how much i can do with a single model.

Mar 23 16 03:17 pm Link