Forums > Model Colloquy > Are tattoos THAT big of a deal?

Photographer

Maxfield Photography

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I've noticed something interesting. If you look through the Travel Notices (under the "castings" tab, not in the forums), In the search parameters there is a field for tattoos and piercings. Models can indicate one of three options: Yes, No, or N/A. What I find interesting is that traveling models without tattoos obviously indicate No, but traveling models with tattoos tend to indicate N/A. There are very few who indicate Yes.

It's almost as if they realize that tattoos make a person less marketable. If that is the case, it begs the question 'why get tattoos if one plans on being a model?' It is my considered opinion that these folks wish to have their cake and eat it too. Let's face it though, the modeling industry is very shallow. Models get rejected all the time because they are an inch too short, or 3 pound over their ideal weight, or their hair is the wrong color. It's a cutthroat game. Why intentionally create one more excuse for rejection?

Mar 24 16 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I have no issue with tattoos...But Karl Lagerfeld said  "It's like living in a Pucci dress full-time"
For those who know who Emillio Pucci was, it is kind of funny!! I remember when every young woman's dreams was to wear one of these dresses...

Apr 10 16 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

Most tattoos are a deal breaker for me hiring a model. Good or bad, a tattoo can ruin a line quicker than anything else.
Not ALL tattoos, but certainly most.

Apr 11 16 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

Maxfield Photography wrote:
I've noticed something interesting. If you look through the Travel Notices (under the "castings" tab, not in the forums), In the search parameters there is a field for tattoos and piercings. Models can indicate one of three options: Yes, No, or N/A. What I find interesting is that traveling models without tattoos obviously indicate No, but traveling models with tattoos tend to indicate N/A. There are very few who indicate Yes.

It's almost as if they realize that tattoos make a person less marketable. If that is the case, it begs the question 'why get tattoos if one plans on being a model?' It is my considered opinion that these folks wish to have their cake and eat it too. Let's face it though, the modeling industry is very shallow. Models get rejected all the time because they are an inch too short, or 3 pound over their ideal weight, or their hair is the wrong color. It's a cutthroat game. Why intentionally create one more excuse for rejection?

Good observation and a spot on assessment. IMHO

Apr 13 16 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am seeing answers all over the board - however as bnobody here are the actual clients who hire models, it's mostly just noise.

If your goal is to do this professionally then go to some agency open calls, find out if your look is in demand and maybe get signed.  If you do they will advise you on how to be most marketable.

I am in marketing these days and I can tell you none of my clients have picked models with visible tattoos - but obviously I have not worked with every company in the world.

Apr 13 16 05:47 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Maxfield Photography wrote:
...it begs the question 'why get tattoos if one plans on being a model?' It is my considered opinion that these folks wish to have their cake and eat it too...

I never had any plans of being a model, or ever knew it was a possibility for me before the age of 22.

So, I had tattoos before I ever modeled. My first photoshoot was in 2005, when I 22, and a man in a bar randomly approached me and asked if I'd like to model for his arts photography. I had a very large tattoo already on my right arm at that time. Prior to that first photoshoot, the only pictures ever taken of me were little kid school pictures, and a few snapshots at family events. That incident set off about a ten year job as a professional traveling model - an occupation I didn't even knew existed before I was actively doing it, and supporting myself on the money from it.

I just sort of "fell into" it, and stuck to it, because it worked for me - when other jobs in my life would fall apart, or I couldn't live on the wage, I could always come back to modeling and it would take care of me.

People don't always have "plans," and can't always predict where the future will take them. Some things just happen, and you can't really prepare for that in advance.

Apr 13 16 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

There are about ten different things that instantly make me turn the page when looking for a model, and tattoos is number one on the list. Once in a blue moon I may find a model who is bigger than life and so irresistible that I make an exception; like Jenny in my port.

Other than that my photo ideas are simply NOT ABOUT someones tattoos. They become a distraction and upstage any ideas I have. A viewers eyes will always go to the tattoo no matter how small it may be, even if the model is sitting naked with her legs wide open.

Apr 13 16 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I do my best to avoid them.

Apr 13 16 07:36 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

JerryClark Photographer wrote:
Every time you get a tattoo you are placing a limit on yourself as to the kind of photo shoot you are qualified to model for.  I can give you a prime example of this.  In the mid 1990's I had a chance to be a contract photographer for a local designer.  This designer was coming out with a new line of panties for young women.  I had recently did a nude shoot with a local model.  I showed some of the photographs from this shoot to the designer.  The designer thought that this model had the perfect proportions for modeling lingerie.  I was told that if I could get that model to pose in the panties I would be given a chance at the contract.  This model did have two tattoos.  She had a small one on her left breast and a second one on her hip.  Because the panties were full cut the tattoo on her hip would have been covered by the panty.  The tattoo on her breast would have been covered by her hand in some of the photographs and in others she would have been turned and only her back would have been facing the camera.  On the day of the shoot the model arrived and the designer gave her a pair of black panties to model.  The model went into the dressing room and changed.  When she came out and stepped on to the set she looked perfect for the shoot.  The designer wanted to start out with some photos showing the panties from the back.  When the model turned around she gave both the designer and myself a major shock.  On her back was a new tattoo that a "friend" of hers' had paid for a few days before.  Needless to say the photo shoot ended right then.  The model did not get paid and I lost out on the contract.  So keep in mind that every time you get a tattoo you are placing another limit on yourself.

How could that model have been so foolish?
Did she really not consider that it may be an issue?

Wow.

Apr 13 16 07:45 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I'll say one thing about tattoos -

If you have them, it's easier to id you if someone throws you in the river.  Fish won't eat tattooed flesh.
lol

Apr 13 16 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

They are the devil !!!!

Don't get me wrong, I still respect and love people with them, and totally respect their personal choices and self-expression, but at the same time, there are many types of shoots where my self-expression is more true to my vision without someone else's artistic choices being added by them.

Put another way, imagine a painter who needs to start their work with a canvas that someone else has painted on, and you are not allowed, or it would be very difficult to paint over their choices (and often insulting to them), so you need to work someone else's choices into your artistic expression.

Say, you want to photograph a very natural, tranquil scene where you want the model facing left into the sun... but she has a tattoo on her left side, or you want to do photo from behind and there is her own artwork there above her bum.  The model's pre-existing choices of artistic expression are immediately impacting your vision and your choices.

Don't get me wrong, there are situations and settings where I think tattoos rock, or make very little difference, but too often for many of us, it does matter, and the reality is that there are fewer and fewer models who do not have tattoos... and especially if you jump to those who will model nude, the percentage is going to be even heavier towards tattoos versus no tattoos, same as over the 25 years, the percentages have changed, where no tattoos used to be the normal, and now that is the rarity.

For the majority of photos, I'd prefer the blank slate, the blank canvas, and I will admit that I often see models that I think are amazing, and then see their tattoos and think "awwww, fuck... tattoos".   Personally, I find that a terrible reality to admit, because in an occupation/activity that is SO much about appearance, there is such a rush to personalize your bodies by adding permanent markings, it honestly kind of amazes me.

I wish more models were not getting tattoos... just like I wish they would avoid the nose piercings, and lip piercings, and belly-button piercings and stuff, because those also create situations where you are making artistic choices for us, and often are stuck thinking "wow, she looks amazing... just a shame about the _______"

Since it is entirely within your control, it would make so much more sense to me to make choices that have the sentence simply read "Wow, she looks amazing!!", but ultimately, it IS your body and your choice what you do with it.

Lastly, photographers, don't forget to remain professional and respectful, models are not our property, and have every right to choose to do whatever they want with their bodies.  Try not go get upset, or pissed off, or otherwise display your frustration if their personal choices of how to adorn their bodies do not match ours.  The most respectful thing we can do is to let it go, and focus on finding those with the look we seek.

Apr 13 16 07:51 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I dig tattoos... on other people.

It's rare to find a guy without tattoos... and to see a body free from that is so beautiful to me.

Apr 13 16 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Well I  shoot a  lot  of  fetish stuff,  so tattoos aren't   too much  of  an  issue. I shot   for  men's   magazines  it  was a   big   deal  though;  many  wanted   no  tats,   or only  small  easily   photo shopped  ones.
So,  personally it's  fine,   professionally...depends  on for  whom and  what's  being  shot

Apr 14 16 05:34 am Link

Photographer

Gene Cannon

Wendell, North Carolina, US

I have tried to stay out of this discussion, but I will say that I personally hate tattoos on models and would certainly hesitate to hire a model with gaudy tattoos all over her body. Likewise, I love to photograph older cars and would certainly not care to photograph a car with all types of abstract graffiti painted all over it!

Apr 15 16 02:55 am Link

Model

Shannon Keeley

SICKLERVILLE, New Jersey, US

I love my tattoos and when people say they want to shoot me before I'm covered im offended, tattoos are my life literally because I am in the process of becoming a tattooist myself, I think they're beautiful and give more to an image. if you're artistic I believe you would be able to see the beauty in others artistic decisions. I would never intentionally cover my tattoos for a shoot if someone asked, they are a part of me. they are my skin and I think they're becoming more and more of a normal thing these days. don't let others views cloud your decisions and view on tattoos. they're beautiful and ID rather be painted on & hated on than be a blank canvas because of what others think.

Apr 18 16 09:59 am Link

Photographer

sweet gamine

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Shannon Keeley wrote:
I love my tattoos and when people say they want to shoot me before I'm covered im offended, tattoos are my life literally because I am in the process of becoming a tattooist myself, I think they're beautiful and give more to an image. if you're artistic I believe you would be able to see the beauty in others artistic decisions. I would never intentionally cover my tattoos for a shoot if someone asked, they are a part of me. they are my skin and I think they're becoming more and more of a normal thing these days. don't let others views cloud your decisions and view on tattoos. they're beautiful and ID rather be painted on & hated on than be a blank canvas because of what others think.

Not all photographic artists want another artist's work front and center in their photographs. I don't see the "beauty" in every piece of art I view, do you? I suspect that you do not either, otherwise you would not be offended as well as refuse to conceal a tattoo for the sake of art.
Tattoos are your life, but they are not the life of everybody else and those who prefer not to shoot with inked models are doing precisely what you suggest - not allowing others to cloud their decisions and view.

You will find photographers who will most happily shoot with you; continue to seek out those artists and you will do fine.
I have photographed tattooed models from time to time and was happy to do so, but for the most part, tattoos play no role in the work I am creating.
I do not shoot to document an individual and their personality; I seek MODELS (rather than the person on the street, for instance) specifically because I am creating a character. Wardrobe, hair, makeup, location etc. all come in to play to transform a model. Tattoos are a good fit sometimes, other times they are a fast track to destroying a photograph.

Apr 18 16 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sometimes ink can work in the shot, or at least not detract from it. But most of the time, I find it distracting (and take a lot of shit from some other photographer friends that get on my case when we're doing a group shoot and I shy away from gorgeous models with prominent ink).

Some reasons why *I* prefer not to shoot someone with a lot of tattoos:

1. As someone else brought up, it's someone else's art. It would be like taking a photo with someone else's photo prominently displayed right there with the model. It's also very personal to that person, and meaningless to anyone else viewing the photo.

2. They are unnatural. It's a distraction. I don't mean that in an offensive way - I say this in context with the kind of photos I take (mostly artistic nudes). As I said above, sometimes they can work, but for example,  if I'm in the desert southwest, have a model up against some gorgeous red and yellow sandstone, a big, blue, black, purple, green tattoo is going to stand out and become the focal point of the photo when it shouldn't be.

3. Some are just plain awful, sorry.

Placement may have a lot to do with it. Having a full back piece may not bother me if I'm going for a frontal shot. It's also why I like doing small group shoots, because the variety of models coming make it more flexible for me to get what I want for a specific shot without feeling "stuck" working with the same model that may not work for everything I want to shoot.

But for a one-on-one shoot, I prefer few-to-no tattoos, usually.

Apr 18 16 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

As far as shooting goes, tattoos are neither a plus nor  a minus in the industry. Some photographers hate it, some don't care, and some love it. To each his own.

However, from a copyright standpoint, it could prove to be a liability should the photo gain notoriety. A tattoo can be considered copyright protected by the tattoo artist and taking a photo of it and publishing it can become a nightmare.

http://www.inkedmag.com/articles/who-owns-your-tattoo/

Apr 18 16 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Maxfield Photography

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Man, that would suck to have to pay your tattoo artist royalties every time you do a photoshoot. Unfortunately for inked models, photographers have a very simple way of avoiding that problem - hire someone else.

Apr 18 16 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

DON TREADWELL PHOTOS

Camarillo, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
It depends on the tattoos and the type of photoshoot.  I have photographed some models with tattoos.

I shoot stock and the object is to have a pretty woman, clean and well made-up selling the buyer's product, Basic photography says shoot the eyes, then gravitate to other parts of the body that draw your eyes. I see a tatted lady, no matter how beautiful she is I immediately go to the "sketch pad" on her body. Sometimes I'll start there and maybe never get up to her face. If God wanted us to have tats he would have given us drawing paper for skin. On the other hand, there is a market for tatted people like INK magazine. My personal opinion is that you will look prettier in  your own skin and not in a decorated version

Apr 20 16 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

David T Thrower

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I love tattoos! <3

Apr 23 16 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

DDDDC Photos

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Copyright, a tattoo can be considered copyright protected by the tattoo ARTIST and taking a photo of it and publishing it can become a nightmare. You could have to pay royalties for a photoshoot.
    Fortunately, photographers have a very simple way of solve the problem, book a un-tattooed model. I've worked with a few tattoo models, and had this copyright problem with one, none so far with the other two.
    So I must decline booking, and paying models with ink.

Apr 24 16 01:14 am Link

Model

naty elena

New York, New York, US

I'm heavily tattooed - they certainly influence the sorts of shoots you get, but I certainly don't regret them!

Apr 26 16 11:51 am Link

Photographer

JohnEnger

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

MoniqueWie wrote:
So I'm fairly new to the modeling world, but I would LOVE to eventually start doing paid shoots. My question is, are tattoos generally frowned upon for paid shoots? I have my whole calf done, but it's very artistic (and hey - I think it looks awesome). Would love to pick your guy's brains on this.
Or maybe is it possible to cover up tattoos? Have any of you ever done that either? Thanks so much for your time!

For most of the commercial work I have done, tattoos are excluding a lot of models. Depending entirely on the look, size and placement of it, it may ruin some chances of work. If it's not coverable by wardrobe or you can otherwise hide it, it's going to lose you some jobs. Unless you are going to do biker-chick and tattoo magazines, tats seldom work well.

My 1 cent...
J.

Apr 26 16 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

JohnEnger

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

DougBPhoto wrote:
They are the devil !!!!

Don't get me wrong, ... Massive snip... seek.

Extremely well put!!!

J.

Apr 26 16 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Jules NYC wrote:
It's rare to find a guy without tattoos... and to see a body free from that is so beautiful to me.

Totally agreed.  Tattoos always strike me as being akin to drawing a moustache and glasses on the Mona Lisa.

Interestingly, I am encountering an increasing number of models with smallish tattoos who prefer me to photoshop them out, suggesting that they also agree with you.

Apr 26 16 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

IMAGINERIES wrote:
I have no issue with tattoos...But Karl Lagerfeld said  "It's like living in a Pucci dress full-time"
For those who know who Emillio Pucci was, it is kind of funny!! I remember when every young woman's dreams was to wear one of these dresses...

unfortunately 98 percent of tattoos are not as visually appealling as anything Pucci created

imo

Apr 26 16 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Electroglow

Elk Grove, California, US

Funny, when I was in my teens, tattoos were for non-conformists.  Now, the opposite seems to be true.  Excuse me while I chase some damn kids off my lawn.

Apr 26 16 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Michelle-Martin

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Electroglow wrote:
Funny, when I was in my teens, tattoos were for non-conformists.  Now, the opposite seems to be true.  Excuse me while I chase some damn kids off my lawn.

Good point. I think I actually remember Ozzy Osbourne saying the same thing! Minus that stuff about the lawn.

As a model, I sport zero tatts. When I was growing up, only girls from the wrong side of the tracks, women who were "property" of some biker or the rebellious, artistic women had them. Now, you're a rebel if you don't. Even my 72 year old mom had one!

When I got started as a photog in the 70s a model with tattoos was pretty much nonexistent, unless she was doing seriously alternative stuff for underground pulp magazines. Nowadays it's rare that I get a model who doesn't have at least a little ink, and I've all but given up on making that a requirement unless a client specifies it.

In a way it's sort of liberating for me to not have to worry about it anymore. Not that I actually LIKE tattoos on a model. I've just learned to accept the inevitable. I have become one with the world as it is. Very Zen-like.

Apr 27 16 07:14 am Link

Photographer

AlternativeLens

Grosse Ile, Michigan, US

Maybe it's already been said, but there is way too much 'bad ink' out there.  Cheaply done tattoos, maybe done by a 'friend', or some tattoo artist just starting out, or just tattoo's of really stupid stuff.  Sorry, but bad ink is an automatic deal breaker for me.  I won't waste my time photoshopping out bad ink for a model that doesn't value themselves enough to demand 'good in, or no ink'.

May 08 16 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Stan Marquardt

Dallas, Texas, US

I shoot stock images and have shot models with tattoos that showed in the final images.  The a couple of the stock agencies required a copyright release from the tattoo artist before they would accept the image. So I find that a tattoo will limit the way a model can be posed for the images I require.

May 21 16 09:18 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Rob Photosby wrote:

Totally agreed.  Tattoos always strike me as being akin to drawing a moustache and glasses on the Mona Lisa.

Interestingly, I am encountering an increasing number of models with smallish tattoos who prefer me to photoshop them out, suggesting that they also agree with you.

The last guy I dated had Lady Death tattooed on his back, the devil and angel and it was done craptastically by his ex-girlfriend (stenciled that is).  She was a mediocre artist and now it's forever stained on his back.

http://ladydeathuniverse.com/

In addition to that dumb ass crap on his back, he had a big smiley face (Eddie) on his leg.

https://blogintomystery.files.wordpress … .jpg?w=782
Honestly I thought it was ugly.

I think what topped it off was the Superman logo he put above his dick.  Kind of funny for such a weak-minded man.

May 21 16 09:42 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

AlternativeLens wrote:
Maybe it's already been said, but there is way too much 'bad ink' out there.  Cheaply done tattoos, maybe done by a 'friend', or some tattoo artist just starting out, or just tattoo's of really stupid stuff.  Sorry, but bad ink is an automatic deal breaker for me.  I won't waste my time photoshopping out bad ink for a model that doesn't value themselves enough to demand 'good in, or no ink'.

If I ever go on a dating site again (which will probably be never), I'll use this as part of my profile, but without apologizing for it.

Having bad taste in anything and everything artful is a dealbreaker.  Truth is, many people have bad taste.  I know it's subjective, but really.

May 21 16 09:47 am Link

Model

Zelohney Moss

Brooklyn, New York, US

MoniqueWie wrote:
So I'm fairly new to the modeling world, but I would LOVE to eventually start doing paid shoots. My question is, are tattoos generally frowned upon for paid shoots? I have my whole calf done, but it's very artistic (and hey - I think it looks awesome). Would love to pick your guy's brains on this.
Or maybe is it possible to cover up tattoos? Have any of you ever done that either? Thanks so much for your time!

well you're tall so will probably have no problem getting paid shoots. Most paid shoots I encounter are nude. Sleeves and large pieces can't really be photoshopped. I've had the ones on my stomach covered but not my arm.

May 26 16 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Tattoos are a deal breaker for me even if the model is paying me unless I am shooting some alternative theme where they help.

May 26 16 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Scanlon

Encino, California, US

Usually I would much rather a model was tattoo free (I have done shoots where I specifically wanted tattoos)

Jun 02 16 01:06 pm Link

Model

Jen B E

Hesperia, California, US

Stan Marquardt wrote:
I shoot stock images and have shot models with tattoos that showed in the final images.  The a couple of the stock agencies required a copyright release from the tattoo artist before they would accept the image. So I find that a tattoo will limit the way a model can be posed for the images I require.

Interesting and silly that a stock agencies would require a copyright release for a random model's personal tattoo. I have read the arguments on here before and really don't care to chase that down the rabbit hole.

However, the artist who put my ink on, to the specifics that I asked for, has agreed to do this. Have you actually asked any of the models about getting the release though?

Jun 03 16 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

DanninTO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have shot stock for years and have never had to have a release for tattoos, including full arm sleeves, I love you Bianca!

Jun 03 16 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

if i shoot a model in a dozen different costumes and locations and there is a bunch of body graffiti spilling out, then that will diminish the uniqueness of those sets. doesn't mean i don't want to shoot with that, but it does mean i don't want to shoot much with it.

Jun 03 16 12:59 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Carlos Occidental wrote:
Most tattoos are a deal breaker for me hiring a model. Good or bad, a tattoo can ruin a line quicker than anything else.
Not ALL tattoos, but certainly most.

This has been my experience, (as a model who has two tattoos.)

At first I didn't fully get it but, do now.

I've also had a couple people end up shooting with me in spite of their dislike for tattoos. I think it is a little different in those cases because they ended up knowing me as a person first so, it likely changed things. They still are not really interested in shooting tattoos but, I'm lucky they shot with me.

Although when I got my tattoos I really though no on would ever see them, or my legs, again because I kept things covered anyways. Now that I'm an over 50 y.o. model I do want to go commercial and if I am able, the ink will definitely limit things for me, even if they are not visible in the shot.

Jen

Jun 04 16 06:49 am Link