Forums > General Industry > Models, why don't you credit your photographers?

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Models( and photographers if you know), I'm pretty new here and see MM as a way to network, which it is, but I have worked with more than a few Models now that without me trying to be a complete pest just will not credit my pics. It's not just me, because they might have 100 pics in their portfolio and not ONE has a credit. Even if a pic is watermarked, there is no way to know who that photographer is. I realize photographers also do the same, I'd like to hear why they don't credit their Models as well.
If a Model visiting one of my Models portfolios sees a pic they really like, and they would like to work with me, they would have no way to know who I am or any way to contact me even if the wanted to.
It just seems to me that it would only be benificial to both Model and Photographer and could only help both get more work.
So if you are a Model that does NOT credit your pics with the link to the photographer's page, why do you not? Is there a practical or good reason for it?  Or am I just being naive?
Thanks so much in advance.
John

Mar 18 16 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

Some do, some don't.  Really no idea why it's that way of it. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff though.

I've never been chased down by an MM model that just HAD to have me snap their photo because of a credit anyway so ----  .

Mar 18 16 06:24 pm Link

Model

malefica

Durham, England, United Kingdom

Pretty difficult to credit someone if they aren't on MM. So usually something in the description works.

Mar 18 16 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

John Silva Photography wrote:
Models( and photographers if you know), I'm pretty new here and see MM as a way to network, which it is, but I have worked with more than a few Models now that without me trying to be a complete pest just will not credit my pics. It's not just me, because they might have 100 pics in their portfolio and not ONE has a credit. Even if a pic is watermarked, there is no way to know who that photographer is. I realize photographers also do the same, I'd like to hear why they don't credit their Models as well.
If a Model visiting one of my Models portfolios sees a pic they really like, and they would like to work with me, they would have no way to know who I am or any way to contact me even if the wanted to.
It just seems to me that it would only be benificial to both Model and Photographer and could only help both get more work.
So if you are a Model that does NOT credit your pics with the link to the photographer's page, why do you not? Is there a practical or good reason for it?  Or am I just being naive?
John

I see you did the decent thing and Credited the Photographer..Oh Wait that is You...Neat!  On every picture. On every Picture. lol

Mar 18 16 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

John

I see you Credited That John Silva On Every Picture in your Port.

Mar 18 16 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Although easy to do some people can't seem to figure it out.  Others just don't want to be bothered and others see no point in doing so.  I prefer to get some feedback on a model before I contact her.  There have been many times when I looked at a models portfolio and could not figure out who she had worked with so I just moved on to another model.

Mar 18 16 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

malefica wrote:
Pretty difficult to credit someone if they aren't on MM. So usually something in the description works.

Malefica, I fully understand that if NONE of your Photographers or the Models are on MM, then they certainly can't be linked. But I have seen a few times where both a photog and a Model have, in the description put, "not on MM".
It's not hard to do. No need to do so, but easy to do! Thanks

Mar 19 16 01:35 am Link

Photographer

RTE Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Some models don't see the need, after all, the photo is all about THEM. The photographer just pushed the button.

Mar 19 16 01:46 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr03/2012/11/22/10/anigif_enhanced-buzz-31013-1353597499-3.gif

Mar 19 16 02:26 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

RTE Photography wrote:
Some models don't see the need, after all, the photo is all about THEM. The photographer just pushed the button.

Some musicians feel the same way about vocalists... even when they didn't write the fucking song.

Mar 19 16 02:48 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Speaking solely from my own experiences...

1. MM system once stripped all of my credited model photos during one of their "upgrades."
2. People change their profile aliases, making it a headache to track down the new name. Lord help you if they moved to a different locale.
3. Some wish not to be credited. Usually but not always if it conflicts w/ a persona (like not wanting to mix fine art nudes w/ mainstream commercial work).
4. Found that person off-MM.
5. Having a name spelled differently than how it phonetically sounds. I've seen models misspell my last name in the captions section EVEN THOUGH its usually right on the very picture they've uploaded.
6. The pictures created might not be an adequate reflection of either how they look now or what they shoot now.
7. Could be a simple oversite on their end. Same goes for the MM system keeps changing the way they do it.

Overall if you're finding models failing to credit you as the photographer, why not simply take the initiative yourself & create a list like I did, "Farenell's Work On Other Profiles"?

Mar 19 16 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

the reverse happens all the time.....cant tell you how many times I see a model I would love to work with and the photographer doesn't credit the model and instead just gives it a title like  "jane on location"......um, well why not let Jane make some money rather than keep her your little secret.  sometimes it happens because the model isnt on model mayhem..but I have found out alot of times that  were in fact MM models.

Mar 19 16 06:50 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Barry Kidd Photography wrote:
Some do, some don't.  Really no idea why it's that way of it. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff though.

I've never been chased down by an MM model that just HAD to have me snap their photo because of a credit anyway so ----  .

qft.  so true.

Mar 19 16 07:00 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I will almost always credit the photographer or artist, as well as any other models who might be in a photo. If they aren't MM members, I try to include their name in the description.

Over the years, there have only been a few artists or photographers I worked with that didn't credit me as the model. Some never do it for any model, and I guess we can't change their minds.

Mar 19 16 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
the reverse happens all the time.....cant tell you how many times I see a model I would love to work with and the photographer doesn't credit the model and instead just gives it a title like  "jane on location"......um, well why not let Jane make some money rather than keep her your little secret.  sometimes it happens because the model isnt on model mayhem..but I have found out alot of times that  were in fact MM models.

Yeah, I see just as many photographers not crediting or identifying their models. They don't care that, without the model's part, it would just be a photo of an empty backdrop or bowl of fruit! The same applies to other talents who contributed.

As part of my MM TF shoots we both agree to use a credit link in both of our portfolios. It acknowledges the other party, and easily promotes them by sending others their way. I only exclude it on their request. (privacy issues, etc.) For non-Mayhem models, I use the Caption section to identify & credit them.

Mar 19 16 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Models, why don't you credit your photographers?

Same reason why photographers don't credit models.  tongue

I might remember working with Suzy, but I probably don't remember Suzy's MM membership number.

So, question:  Do you really want to know why people don't provide credits, or do you just want people to credit their team regardless of their reasons? 

I figure is someone posts one of your pictures without the appropriate credit, you can send a polite request for credit (providing them with your MM number).  Then drop it -- it ain't worth the pathos.

Mar 19 16 08:23 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Jules NYC wrote:

Some musicians feel the same way about vocalists... even when they didn't write the fucking song.

Jules, thanks for the reply. I see YOU have credited all of your photographers. Why? I just assume that they credit you as well. What do YOU think about a photographer that will not credit you even if you have requested they do so? Thanks

Mar 19 16 08:44 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

That sure does happen. I'm working with two models in the next month or two that I found on another photographers website. I would NOT be working with them had they not been credited.
Yes, I do ask Models to credit me before we work together but it winds up not happening. I don't threaten them in any way, but at least one I will just not work with her again. It's just basic networking which is why I thought we were all here but that's just not always the case! Thanks Tony

Mar 19 16 09:32 am Link

Photographer

petemplinphoto

Duvall, Washington, US

John

Put it in the contract and/or model release/print release. Seriously. It's a part of the compensation, as I see it: "Model John Q. Private, I hereby release these photos to you for portfolio use, with credit to My Amazing Photography (MAP), in exchange for MAP to be able to use these photos for portfolio use as well (with credit to you when used), and the sum of one dollar, one penny, and one feather paid to MAP." JQP could counter the terms of the deal and ask "I'd like to alter the terms to two dollars and fifty pennies paid to MAP, for permission to use in portfolio without credit."

Mar 19 16 09:57 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

John

John

Not all photographers want to be credited. But if you are one that does then you need to make it is very clear and even put it in writing with any other paperwork from the shoot. Something like "You may use images for self promotion as long as you credit me". Of coarse you would use better language than what I have said. I simplified it.
There are many times that I work with new photographers that are still learning that I will ask not to be credited.

A few reasons why not to be credited.
When it is work that you want to keep as personal and not be known for it.
The quality is not up to par for what you want to be known for.
A lot of photographer will shoot nudes for personal reasons and do not want to be associated with it because it may damage their commercial abilities to get work.
There has been many times that a photographer will hand me a disk at the end of a shoot and say use them anyway you like just don't credit me. This is mostly with commercial photographers that wanted to shoot nude for personal reasons and do not want to be known for it.

When crediting it is like a tag and when searching on internet it might be found easily. some don't want that.

Mar 19 16 11:45 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

R.EYE.R wrote:
https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr03/2012/11/22/10/anigif_enhanced-buzz-31013-1353597499-3.gif

I truly would never do this. lol but if I did I certainly wouldn't want to be credited.

Mar 19 16 11:51 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Caitin Bre  wrote:
I truly would never do this. lol but if I did I certainly wouldn't want to be credited.

Caitin, thanks so much for replying.
I hate to say it, but IF this horse manure clip was an ad on national TV, this model would not only be a household name but the most famous model on all of MM, IF we knew who she was that is!!!!! LoL.  LoL
John

Mar 19 16 02:55 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I'm afraid models aren't going to come into the Forums and tell you the answer. Most of the ones I see in here are regulars and do the right thing.

I just about never get credited and sometimes they get my name wrong when they write it in the description. The same goes for other sites. Not a darn thing you can do about it.

Mar 20 16 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Maxfield Photography

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I think these days more and more models use smartphones to log on to MM. I've never tried to upload a photo through the mobile site, so I don't know what the interface looks like, but I find the controls and the layout of the portfolio view extremely limiting compared to the full web version of the site. For instance you can't even see the person's user # when you view their profile. I can only imagine that the mobile image uploader is equally lacking in controls. So it's little wonder that people don't know how to give credit.

I've also noticed a steady decline in communication skills since the advent of the mobile site, not that it was great even to begin with, but now days you're lucky if people even bother to spell out "interested". But I'm getting off topic.

Mar 20 16 02:58 pm Link

Model

Account subscribed

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

John

I always credit photographers the way they want to be credited. Those who wants first and second name always get that. Those who only wants first name gets that. It is written in the release what he/she wants.  About weblinks,  sometimes I write it out if there is space admitted but it is nothing I have to do due to the release. Sometimes I just write @xxxxx if it is Instagram. Some do not want to be credited either. Some reckon; if you got a name they'll soon recognize my name..... If they complain of too much credits, I'll take it away of course. About copy and pasting all over photos with weblinks, text and logotypes I rather jump a photoshot if that is the main interest.  That is a condition I claim in the release before the shot. In addition I try to refer as much as I can without the referring getting pathetic.

Mar 29 16 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Marie Lindstrom wrote:

I always credit photographers the way they want to be credited. Those who wants first and second name always get that. Those who only wants first name gets that. It is written in the release what he/she wants.  About weblinks,  sometimes I write it out if there is space admitted but it is nothing I have to do due to the release. Sometimes I just write @xxxxx if it is Instagram. Some do not want to be credited either. Some reckon; if you got a name they'll soon recognize my name..... If they complain of too much credits, I'll take it away of course. About copy and pasting all over photos with weblinks, text and logotypes I rather jump a photoshot if that is the main interest.  That is a condition I claim in the release before the shot. In addition I try to refer as much as I can without the referring getting pathetic.

Marie, thanks so much for the responce and explanation.
There is perhaps a small amount of confusion to my question. I wasn't specifically asking about how we list a photographer or their insta's or face ions etc. You have done a good job and made a good effect to acknowledge your Talents.
I was referring specifically to creating the MM link to a participating talents MM page that is automatically created by the MM site when we input the talents MM# into the credit box at the time we post a pic. It can of course be done at any time later as well, but it's pretty easy to do at the time of the posting.
I know that if a participating talent is NOT an MM member, they have no MM# to imput!
For example, none of your pics have the MM link.  Maybe none of your photographers/mua's are MM members, I realize that. I'm going to go back and in the location box note, "non MM", on all/any non MM participants I have worked with, I just think it will be helpful.
For me, creating that link is just a part of the networking process.
No Models have hunted me down and made me shoot them yet, but if it happens even once, it will have been a win-win!
When I see a Model shot I like on a photographers website I enjoy seeing what else they have done by going to their MM page. If they are close by, I have sometimes PM'ed them about collaborating in the future! 
Marie, thanks........, John  📷📷💃🏻💄💃👠📷📷

Mar 29 16 02:04 pm Link

Model

Account subscribed

Mar 29 16 03:23 pm Link

Model

Account subscribed

Marie, thanks so much .......

Thank you John! ❤Now I see how you mean. You are right in your assumption. ModelMayhem (MM) has a very small domestic field. Domestic photographers usually choose another page. Even instagram can work if you feel you can trust them. My first studioshot ever was with a man travelling with a camera in Sweden during my youth. That was before MM, internet, mobiles, digital cameras etc. So I guess I kind of miss the international touch 😃. I am mostly here on MM if some photographer are on their way to Sweden and wants to have at least one shot set before hand. And of course if there is some other interests too that might be of interest to me and collaborators. Of course I would credit on MM if someone was here, wanted that, explicitly said so and I guess if they  also fullfilled the agreements, did a good job etc.

Mar 29 16 03:25 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Caitin, thanks so much for replying.
I hate to say it, but IF this horse manure clip was an ad on national TV, this model would not only be a household name but the most famous model on all of MM, IF we knew who she was that is!!!!! LoL.  LoL
John

lol What was she doing under there in the 1st place? I am no stranger to Horses as a lifelong cowgirl. But I would never understand any reason that you would ever have to be in that position with your animal... I would not be known for this for all the publicity in the world. Imagine the strange things people would want to hire you for. lol

Mar 29 16 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Keeping your model secret is the key to exclusivity. At least in the world of art nude. None of the photographic masters of the past shared their models on an on going basis.   Perhaps in the commercial world that's ok not art.  I want to have an exclusive shooting relationship with the models I work with and I would say that is true for 90 percent of my models.  The rest of the 10% may just be hired guns.

Mar 29 16 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

https://i.imgflip.com/11n8lk.jpg

Mar 29 16 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

hmm I like to credit but I have a method about it.

If I were shooting for a clothing line or for advertising I don't expect to be credited when they post up anything about me. It's not my place. It's not "my" photos. You don't see the photographers name attached to any billboards or anything, why would you? You got paid for it. The mua got paid for it.

If it were for a magazine, I'd credit the entire team.

If it's for online use then I always credit the MUA, the stylist and then i credit the agency where i got the model from and the models first name.

If people pay me, they can credit me if they want but they paid me so I just suck it up if they don't want to credit me. I still get the money, i still get the photos for my portfolio, and i got to build my client base.

So this works in vice versa. If I were the client and I paid a model. I don't expect myself needing to credit the model.

Mar 29 16 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

Keeping your model secret is the key to exclusivity

Tony, I'll tell you what...., If you show mw YOURS..., I'll show you MINE!!!  LoL,  LoL

Mar 29 16 11:22 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

I don't think there is a malicious reason behind models not crediting photographers in their MM ports.Some forget to or they don't see it as a big deal.It also could have something to with MM not being as active as it once was?I don't think there is really one answer for their reasoning.
I don't really credit models on MM because most the models I work with are agency represented but if they also have a MM portfolio that I know about I will credit them. Same with the photographers, muas, hairstylist, and designers I work with.If they have a profile here I will credit them. But on social media(insta, fb, and tumblr), I credit everyone because it really helps us out in terms of getting gigs.

Mar 30 16 08:19 am Link

Model

Little Miss Fable

High Point, North Carolina, US

The only time I don't credit photographers is if they specifically ask me not to. Two photographers I've shot with make their living off weddings and don't want lingerie or nude photos attached to their name. Another photographer used to like being credited, but no longer does because he began receiving weird messages from models' fans asking for private photos. I've also had makeup artists not wanting to be credited for "limited clothing" shots. But unless I've been specifically asked not to credit someone, I always do. And if I've never not credited someone on social media, it was probably a technical problem that I didn't even realize, and I'd hope the photographer would let me know so I can fix it. Although that would be a rarity because I usually pay attention to what I'm doing when uploading photos.

Mar 30 16 10:47 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Kelly Larsen wrote:
The only time I don't credit photographers is if they specifically ask me not to. Two photographers I've shot with make their living off weddings and don't want lingerie or nude photos attached to their name. Another photographer used to like being credited, but no longer does because he began receiving weird messages from models' fans asking for private photos. I've also had makeup artists not wanting to be credited for "limited clothing" shots. But unless I've been specifically asked not to credit someone, I always do. And if I've never not credited someone on social media, it was probably a technical problem that I didn't even realize, and I'd hope the photographer would let me know so I can fix it. Although that would be a rarity because I usually pay attention to what I'm doing when uploading photos.

Kelly, thank you for reponding. But it's pretty obvious that you are a model Model!! LoL
Yes, many talents do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do. If my post gets even a few that might read it to go back and add the credits to the talents they have worked with, this will have been a resounding success.
Not doing so for all the legitimate reasons mentioned is not a problem.
I have now added "not MM" to all my none credited pics, whether they are actually on MM or not is irrelevant at that point if they request no credits.
Kelly,  I applaud you, but there are many here that are very cavalier about it, but it's their right to be!
Thanks Kelly 📷📷📷📷📷📷

Apr 01 16 02:16 pm Link