Forums > Photography Talk > Canon 120MP DSLR

Photographer

RedCapture

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Canon 120MP DSLR Shows Off its Stuff at Canon Expo

http://petapixel.com/2016/05/20/canon-1 … anon-expo/

Never mind the price because I know it will be expensive for the average photographer. But what I want to know is how many frames per second can it do. Since the file sizes coming out of this beast is topping out at 214mb how long will the camera lock up take? I wouldn't have to sit there during a fashion shoot or while shooting cityscape and have to sit there for 2 minutes while the processor spits out my image. Will the ISO exceed that of the Pentax 645Z? Is this Hasselblad slayer Canon fanboy's have been waiting for?

I can't wait for the spec sheet even more so the release of this supposed machine...

It comes with 120mp but will it be better than the Canon 5Ds/r or even the Canon 1DX?

May 22 16 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

May 22 16 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

RedCapture

R.EYE.R wrote:
http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/contactus?m=loadcontactus

Now why in the world would this help me when the body hasn't been released yet?

May 22 16 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

RedCapture

R.EYE.R wrote:
http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/contactus?m=loadcontactus

May 22 16 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

If this hits production it will sell, almost regardless of cost or speed. Even if it costs $20,000, I suspect many MF shooters would be willing to pay that for only using a single system - assuming DR is at least as good as the 5D, even if it needs to be shot at 100.

I hope they can bring this to market. Canon hasn't been the 'best' at anything in several years. They've been 'best in class', but the only 'best' they've had recently is the 50mp 5D, and that's only what, 15% more than Sony? Enough to brag, but not enough to rest on.

I like seeing everybody thrive. It can only mean good things for the industry as a whole.

May 22 16 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

RedCapture wrote:

So to get this straight...you want us, who don't work for Canon to give you full spec on a camera, information on which is not even disclosed to all Canon employees?

May 22 16 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Be interesting to see what it can do at High ISO in low light.

I expect that Nikon will be releasing a camera with Full Format, two processors, and 50+ megapixels.

May 22 16 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

M3_Photography

Houston, Texas, US

RedCapture wrote:
Will the ISO exceed that of the Pentax 645Z? Is this Hasselblad slayer Canon fanboy's have been waiting for?

Jamming more pixels on a smaller chip isn't going to best MF.  It's like asking if a 50MP APS-C is going to be better than current FF models.  Increasing the sensor size gives you things you just can't get otherwise.

If this *is* released (and more than likely, it's a just concept), few people are going to have the technique and situations to get good results with it.  The 5DS has shows us that higher than usual shutter speeds are needed as the pixel count gets ridiculous.  You may need 1/250 with this thing to get good results at 50mm (just making something up), 1/500 at 85mm.  That's a lot of light....

May 22 16 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Noah Russell

Seattle, Washington, US

I don't think you will be waiting 2 minutes your image. An entry level digital cinema camera you can go out and buy today poops out 60 4096x2160 uncompressed raw files per second.

By my math, that equates to 4.4fps @120MP.

On the high end, the red weapon spews 75 8k frames @8192 x 4320 per second which works out to just over 21fps at 120mp.

In photography terms the weapon is a 35 MP mirror-less camera sporting a full frame sensor with 16.5 stops of dynamic range that shoots 75fps continuous burst. At some point it's no longer spraying and praying, its shooting video. tongue

Cheers,
Noah

May 22 16 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Sounds cool, but probably only in a mirrorless low vibration environment unless it's medium format.    I don't care about frame rates and shoot only at ISO  100 so limitations don't worry me.  I  like pixel level editing and big prints.

May 22 16 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

https://i.imgflip.com/14lzz1.jpg

May 22 16 11:35 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

RedCapture wrote:
It comes with 120mp but will it be better than the Canon 5Ds/r or even the Canon 1DX?

The right question is - does it ship with a box of hard drives and RAM smile

May 23 16 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Maxfield Photography

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

If my math is correct a 24x36mm frame at 120mp would have a pixel pitch of 2.7µm. You would need some very special glass indeed for such a camera. I mean you could put any lens on it and it would work, but only truly exceptional lenses would yield better results than what you could achieve with a 50mp sensor (and some modern lenses are outresolved even @ 50mp). You'd almost certainly have to stick with primes, a very heavy tripod, and mirror lockup mode to be able get the most out of the sharpness that a 120mp sensor could produce. Anything less and you'd just be getting bloated files that contain little more information than you could capture with a camera like the 5DS R. Think I'll pass.

May 23 16 03:08 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

We were skeptical when Nikon came out with a 36mp camera. It turned out fine.  We were skeptical when Canon upped the ante to 50mp.  It turned out fine.  All conventional logic says that 120mp is pushing things even further into nether-nether land.  Right now it is just a concept.   Who knows, by the time it is released, we may be surprised ... or not.

We really don't know if this is the fore-bearer of something that is in the works or merely the demonstration of technology.  Either way, it is interesting.

May 23 16 04:49 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Maxfield Photography wrote:
If my math is correct a 24x36mm frame at 120mp would have a pixel pitch of 2.7µm. You would need some very special glass indeed for such a camera. I mean you could put any lens on it and it would work, but only truly exceptional lenses would yield better results than what you could achieve with a 50mp sensor (and some modern lenses are outresolved even @ 50mp). You'd almost certainly have to stick with primes, a very heavy tripod, and mirror lockup mode to be able get the most out of the sharpness that a 120mp sensor could produce. Anything less and you'd just be getting bloated files that contain little more information than you could capture with a camera like the 5DS R. Think I'll pass.

It probably would come with something similar to a +mode on PhaseONE backs, where resolution is reduced to allow higher ISO - i.e shooting 120Mpx sensor at 50Mpx.
But that's not the only issue.
If you have a 5µm pitch, that yields 50ke- light energy conversion enough to give base 50-100 with minimum error levels of 4 electrons per pixel (divide 50,000 by four, get 12,500e-. 12,500 is the same as 2^13.5, so 13.5 bits of DR)

is it even possible to reduce 4e- error level at 2.7µm pitch or even feasible to maintain it at 4e-???

May 23 16 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Granted, I do not understand electronic jargon. But I have a hard time believing that we can determine any given spec based solely on pixel pitch.

If we could, many of us would still be using the first 5D.

There is also the processor, and Sony has been advertising copper wiring in their cameras lately. I just assumed they were all built that way, but perhaps others use aluminum wiring, which has greater signal resistance. Maybe this guy uses silver wiring; even for a super thin wire, resistance over an inch or so would be so low as to be practically unmeasurable.

That would be another way to increase DR or ISO performance, depending on how the processor works.

It could also have improved heat sinks. Or it could use the old ones, which could potentially reduce those stats, since there's going to be more power going to the sensor.

There are just way too many variables to really know anything right now.

May 23 16 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Noah Russell

Seattle, Washington, US

R.EYE.R wrote:
https://i.imgflip.com/14lzz1.jpg

https://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/012/092/2lh1.jpg

When someone complains about mentioning dynamic range in a conversation about cameras in photography forum........

Cheers,
Noah

May 23 16 07:01 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

There are a lot of us in the 80-100mp range that are happy with the resolution, we want LARGER sensors (6x6/6x7) not smaller (35mm).

May 23 16 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Im totally fuking rich so im gonna buy one as a status symbol and probably never understand most of the settings.

( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

May 23 16 07:15 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Noah Russell wrote:
When someone complains about mentioning dynamic range in a conversation about cameras in photography forum........

Cheers,
Noah

Noah, it wasn't intended as a personal jab..smile More of the pre-emptive measure..

ED: Granted, you are aware that 16Bit DR does absolutely nothing, right?

May 23 16 07:23 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Light and Lens Studio wrote:
I expect that Nikon will be releasing a camera with Full Format, two processors, and 50+ megapixels.

Could be this:  http://thenewcamera.com/nikon-d850-rumo … ification/

70-80 MP seems possible this year.

May 23 16 07:40 am Link

Model

Mr. Tengu

New York, New York, US

RedCapture wrote:
Canon 120MP DSLR Shows Off its Stuff at Canon Expo

http://petapixel.com/2016/05/20/canon-1 … anon-expo/

Awesome... now plastic surgeons will be able to take perfect photos. 120MP guarantees museum quality images that will automatically be displayed in MoMA, the Whitney and the Guggenheim!

I wish I'd have that kind of cash and I'd be instantly a good photographer!!!

May 23 16 07:54 am Link

Model

Mr. Tengu

New York, New York, US

Gerardo Martinez wrote:
Im totally fuking rich so im gonna buy one as a status symbol and probably never understand most of the settings.

( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

LOL... I am with you... however, my main camera is the Nikon D800e and I don't understand most of the settings... all I care about is M, f-stop, ISO, WB, shutter speed and bracketing settings.

I am not smart enough for all that fancy-shmancy gadgetry...

May 23 16 07:57 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Gerardo Martinez wrote:

( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

Mr. Tengu wrote:
LOL... I am with you... however, my main camera is the Nikon D800e and I don't understand most of the settings... all I care about is M, f-stop, ISO, WB, shutter speed and bracketing settings.

Smart man, Mr. Tengu!  borat

Fully agree with you here... again! big_smile

May 23 16 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

120mp in a 24x36mm sensor? Isn't that a scaled up super zoom point n shoot? I would be very surprised to see this turn into a real product, unless it was for a very specialized application.

May 23 16 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Robb Mann wrote:
120mp in a 24x36mm sensor? Isn't that a scaled up super zoom point n shoot? I would be very surprised to see this turn into a real product, unless it was for a very specialized application.

I've heard a similar line too many times to count.

I've even said it myself.

May 23 16 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
There are a lot of us in the 80-100mp range that are happy with the resolution, we want LARGER sensors (6x6/6x7) not smaller (35mm).

bingo for me.

larger sensor please.

May 23 16 10:41 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

What happened to people who think 20MP is enough?

I have no interest in a 100MP+ camera on a 35mm sensor. 

What we need is a 6x7 sensor with 200MP+ at $8K or less (of course I am dreaming).

May 24 16 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I have to admit that my FIRST thoughts were along the lines of "the glass won't be sharp enough", "you'll need too high of a minimum shutter speed at that resolution (or a tripod)", etc, etc.

My SECOND thoughts were how many times have I heard those exact same explanations in the past for why a new upper megapixel limit just wouldn't catch on. And how each time it actually DID catch on.  wink

So while I personally can't quite comprehend (yet) the need for larger than 40 to 50 megapixels in a 35mm sensor size, or how that would even work realistically, history suggests that it's likely that somehow we'll all be happily using it at some point!

May 24 16 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Mr. Tengu wrote:

Yep...same here...the basic things you need to make great images

May 24 16 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:

What we need is a 6x7 sensor with 200MP+ at $8K or less (of course I am dreaming).

I'll pay way more than $8k for that. So will a lot of others.

May 24 16 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I have one. I just need you to sign a contract promising me your firstborn son.

In blood, please.

May 24 16 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Zack Zoll wrote:
I have one. I just need you to sign a contract promising me your firstborn son.

In blood, please.

Deal

May 24 16 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

law of diminishing returns.

May 24 16 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
If this hits production it will sell, almost regardless of cost or speed. Even if it costs $20,000, I suspect many MF shooters would be willing to pay that for only using a single system - assuming DR is at least as good as the 5D, even if it needs to be shot at 100.

I hope they can bring this to market. Canon hasn't been the 'best' at anything in several years. They've been 'best in class', but the only 'best' they've had recently is the 50mp 5D, and that's only what, 15% more than Sony? Enough to brag, but not enough to rest on.

I like seeing everybody thrive. It can only mean good things for the industry as a whole.

Few people who've shot MF would spend $20k on a small postage stamp size sensor (I'm being facetious) packed with pixels, a measly 1/250th sync speed that's practically the same as a slow 1/125 focal shutter.  The 3:2 ratio in the opinion of many is less ideal compared to 4:3. Why would i want that lack of performance, when i can buy a used MF body cheaper or a new body near the end of the year when prices are slashed, and have great performance + all the bells and whistles?  At this juncture, I'd rather shoot a MF body over the tiny Canons.  Others may like the teeny-tiny form factor of cameras like the 5D series... I generally do not.

Using more than one system isn't a big deal.  You buy the tool that best works for your budget and the job at hand.  I tired of borrowing MF and was eager to see what the 5Dsr offered.  I was also tired of having to paint-over ratty noise in the sky on photos taken with my 5D2 (wonderful workhorse; bought it over the Nikon D3x; great camera, love the video, still use it).

When the 5Dsr debuted, I wasn't impressed at lack of "pliability" of the files during post processing when compared to MF, so I skipped it, and picked up a Pentax 645Z even though I loathe the lack of leaf shutter lenses.  Bragging rights is beneath most people using a camera to get paid work done, and frankly it's mostly those people who obsess over specs as opposed to system performance as a whole, who care about which brand offers a trite amount of pixels over another brand.  Manufacturers emphasize such mainly to play to consumers who don't know any better.

Either Canon needs to offer a larger sensor, or hold what they have at 50mp and make it even better.  I will concede though, there are situations where pixels alone, even from a smaller sensor, can make a positive difference in someone's work (more cropping room, etc..), but when it comes to the quality and characteristics of an image, I hands down prefer the larger formats.   MF is getting cheaper and ideally we're looking at having LF (large format) performance in a MF form factor sooner than later.  Couple that reality with redesigned tilt-shift lenses and premium leaf shutter offerings... Now that's something to write home about. wink

Why people act like 50, and 100mp is "a lot" is beyond me.  We're on the outer fringe of Large Format performance with a 100mp sensor.  What's interesting is people will ask "what's the practical use of 100mp" and doesn't offer the performance of a sheet of film.   When we get to 300-500mp, THEN we're more firmly footed in the LF ball park.

May 24 16 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:

That would sell like fatty food sells in Mississippi !  ... I'd have to snap one up myself.  6x7 or 6x9 in a MF body, as opposed to a huge toy-like film camera would be very ideal.  Kids and many adults today would see a 6x7 camera and think it's a toy.

May 24 16 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Mr. Tengu wrote:

More of us can relate to you than you probably think.  Thumbs up.  wink

May 24 16 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm personally waiting for the Sone A7s III

hopefully Sony creates a sensor improvement that retains the low light capabilities at slightly higher megapixels.

May 24 16 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Deida

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

THIS !

full frame 6x7 sensor @ 24mp  (my sweet spot) ...... one can dream smile

May 24 16 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Teila K Day Photography wrote:

That would sell like fatty food sells in Mississippi !  ... I'd have to snap one up myself.  6x7 or 6x9 in a MF body, as opposed to a huge toy-like film camera would be very ideal.  Kids and many adults today would see a 6x7 camera and think it's a toy.

I shoot with an RZ67ProIID all the time.  No one thinks it's a toy.

I do get looks when I pull out the 11x14...

May 24 16 08:43 pm Link