Forums > Model Colloquy > 'Offending' Mature Models

Photographer

Klinikle

Doncaster, England, United Kingdom

I'm searching for a mature female model to play a stereotypical 'granny' in a shoot, but of the few older models I've found, they all seem to want to do glamour and lingerie shoots and seem to be offended if I ask them to play the older character and not want them to get their kit off.
Where can I find old people to play old people?

Aug 03 16 03:26 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Models want images that will make them look sexy and will market them well for other work. That goes for all ages of models.

You might have better luck checking with local art schools about older "life drawing" models they have on their rosters, as these people aren't generally seeking commercially viable images of themselves.

Life models, depending on the area one lives in, typically earn between $15-25/hr to work with artists, and some will work on photographic arts projects for similar amounts.

People used to approach me with all sorts of interesting ideas, but unless they were compensating me with (A) cash, or (B) images that made me look athletic and sexy as fuck, working with them held little appeal to me - since it generally required sacrificing a work day for no long-term benefit.

Aug 03 16 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

This is interweb modeling, not the real main stream world of the modeling industry.

Majority of the interweb models will never understand that a good wholesome smile will get them somewhere than a sexy f* me look.

Aug 03 16 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Look where character actors look for casting notices

Aug 03 16 06:41 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
This is interweb modeling, not the real main stream world of the modeling industry.

Majority of the interweb models will never understand that a good wholesome smile will get them somewhere than a sexy f* me look.

The OP isn't looking to shoot that though, not the "good wholesome smile" - at least not in the way you are talking about, I don't think. He wants to depict the model as a "granny," probably harsh light, saggy skin and all.

That's a lot different than creating an exceptionally flattering image that uses light to minimize the appearance of aging, and play up the model's best features. You know, images that mature models could use to market themselves for other work.

He (or she) is wanting to... well...make someone look like a granny.

Aug 03 16 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Young people always indicate advanced age by stooping over and saying "I'm sooo ooold" in a shakey voice, but actual old people try to convey the message, "hey, don't count me out! I still got it!"

Aug 03 16 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It sounds to me that you should not be looking for 'models' . . .  but rather 'character actors' that you can find through local theaters or theatrical agencies. Actors can get into character more easily than untrained models.

Aug 03 16 07:49 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Klinikle wrote:
I'm searching for a mature female model to play a stereotypical 'granny' in a shoot, but of the few older models I've found, they all seem to want to do glamour and lingerie shoots and seem to be offended if I ask them to play the older character and not want them to get their kit off.

Character or lifestyle models.

I would do it.

My mom acts and she has acted as a granny since she was my age, (and she looked really hot when she was my age!!)

Like her, I too am interested in characters.

Jen

edi to add, yes, bullseye

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
It sounds to me that you should not be looking for 'models' . . .  but rather 'character actors' that you can find through local theaters or theatrical agencies. Actors can get into character more easily than untrained models.

Aug 03 16 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I'd contact a local model/actor agency. Otherwise, place a casting call here with your specifics. Then you won't "offend" those responding to your call.

Aug 03 16 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

Klinikle wrote:

Check local playhouses and theater groups.  Also, how about just looking for a non model who seems to fit your vision. They may be excited to participate.

Aug 03 16 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Look for people who meet your criteria rather than models.

Although the term model can mean anyone posing for a painter, sculptor, photographer, etc., in photography it often refers to folks who want to create sexy, glamorous, and conventionally attractive images.

Aug 04 16 04:35 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

My local amateur theatrical society supplied me with two grannies when I needed them.

Aug 04 16 05:36 am Link

Model

Account subscribed

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

Klinikle wrote:

I am glad that you mention your needs. Nothing wrong with granny. That is wisdom and good old style. Iris Apfel is not a sterotype but another good example of a wonderful mature fashion icon. People seems to forget that old people do things also. They go to the gym and get married too. I do not have the stereotype granny look in my port here on MM but I have an Instagram page where I wear a blue dress and a huge smile carrying a ladies bag like a grandma does and actually labelled the photo "The grandma look".  I just made it for fun as I will turn 50 next year.

I love this video. It is about having an age on clothes. They speak english. I think some of them are with Grey's Agency. Should be close to where you are located.

http://www.ahlens.se/INTERSHOP/web/WFS/ … 224_183742

Aug 04 16 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

It might be worth your while to check out:
www.castingcollective.co.uk
and/or
http://castingnetworks.co.uk/

They appear to serve the same function as CentralCasting in the U.S., i.e. casting non-speaking roles in film and TV and are. I believe, licensed as agents in the U. K.  Many actors also model and some (in all age ranges) also (should it be needed) are comfortable with artistically necessary nudity and do not face the same pressures to be "young" and "sexy" that folks working primarily as models do..

All IMHO as always, of course.

Aug 04 16 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Klinikle wrote:

Post a casting call.

Aug 04 16 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Look among actors as well as models. And be totally clear about what look you want and what the role is.

Aug 04 16 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Dexellery Photo

Redondo Beach, California, US

I think like others said, be very specific with your concept and the depiction of the model and you should find the right one.  However, try to put a lot of care in your description and run it by some other people first. (preferably older)  You don't want to write something offensive to the mature models who normally would be adventurous enough to do character modeling and are brave enough to share every well earned wrinkle on camera.  Sensitivity and honesty is key here.

And at the end of the day, you may find too many models in general take way too good care of themselves for what you may have in mind and you may have to look elsewhere as others suggested.  I've had the pleasure of shooting many mature women and believe me-- they look nothing like a stereotypical granny. (granted, I've had the pleasure of lighting and shooting people for a living ranging the gamut from toddlers, teens, young adults, mid-life all the way up to to octogenarians and nonagenarians)

Good luck.

Aug 04 16 10:26 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Dexellery Photo wrote:
And at the end of the day, you may find too many models in general take way too good care of themselves for what you may have in mind and you may have to look elsewhere as others suggested.  I've had the pleasure of shooting many mature women and believe me-- they look nothing like a stereotypical granny. (granted, I've had the pleasure of lighting and shooting people for a living ranging the gamut from toddlers, teens, young adults, mid-life all the way up to to octogenarians and nonagenarians)

Good luck.

This granny aged thanks you!

Aug 05 16 09:52 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

In my experience, "mature" models have a keen sense of self-awareness and know their own strengths and weaknesses.  I have never found such a model to be easily offended.

Aug 07 16 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Dario Western

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

granny prOn.

Aug 08 16 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bingo!

Also, I'm curious how much the OP is planning to pay the model? If you are paying a fair amount, I can't see why any model would turn down the gig if they looked or could play the part.

Aug 08 16 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Philip R

Agoura Hills, California, US

This is probably easier than using "Breakdown Services."  That is where actors looks for jobs, but you might not qualify to post a casting.  Check with them.

Aug 08 16 05:25 pm Link