Forums > Photography Talk > Storing Photos - Back Up

Photographer

Jack English

Encinitas, California, US

I was referred to www.backblaze.com - anyone use them or who do you use?

Thanks,
Jack

Aug 26 16 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

The problem with the Cloud storage for me is my ISP provider.  Last year I set up my own cloud at at my Company server with the greatest and fastest connection.  I started upload it to the my own cloud at home.  Before I have finished uploading the 800 GB image data (I have a total of 4TB data), I got a nasty warning email from my ISP.  That was the end of it.  I ended up take the hard drive to the Company and uploaded directly in the Cloud drive.   

If you already have lot of data, uploading to cloud device is a pain. It is easier to just get another HD, replicate the drive while you sleep and take it to some place else. 

I use Cloud for convenient purpose, but not for backup purpose.  smile

Aug 26 16 09:56 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I use Google Drive. 10.00 per month, as a secondary backup location.

Aug 26 16 11:24 am Link

Photographer

JSB Fine Art Photo

Frederick, Maryland, US

I simply use external hard drives.

Sep 26 16 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Park Avenue Pin-ups

Waverly, New York, US

Just starting using my unlimited storage I get for Amazon Prime

Sep 26 16 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Kutches Photography

Montpelier, Vermont, US

As a photojournalist, I average around 7500+/- images per week. Covering press conferences, news as it happens, and some stock photo, along with getting paid for weddings and some personal projects.

I first import into lightroom,
Then onto my second or 3rd harddrive at the same time.
Generally I use around 4 TB per harddrive.
I keep the information/images onto all 4 harddrives for about a month.

Then transfer the best images onto a portable harddrive into my storage and a second portable harddrive that gets rotated in my car.

The best images are backed up on multiple sites in a JPEG format and then thrown onto the websites that I can download if needed.

Retention and ensuring your work is safely backed up, is pretty important. You never know when a client will need the images. Cloud based storage, seems worthy only for your edited and completed images (You don't have to store that much.)

Flickr allows for large JPEG storage and downloads for Cloud based storage, drop box seems to be okay.

Sep 26 16 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I highly recommend backblaze.com. It is only $5 per month. I've had 2 external hard drives die on me in the last 5 years, so now I see cloud backup as more secure.

Sep 29 16 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Vision Images by Jake

Stockton, California, US

As for me, I decided to go with a NAS Server setup, it is kept locally in the studio.  I can access it via FTP/Finder via Static I.P.  address or through Seagate's Sdrive feature and drag and drop as much as I need.  Don't have to worry about email restrictions by my ISP because of emailing limitations.  The NAS Server works great, the one I have is through Seagate, the NAS Pro Version.  There is No file size limitations and I can access anywhere on the planet anytime I choose.

I would take the time to look into it.  I am 100% satisfied with the results, the performance is great!

Jake

Sep 29 16 03:04 pm Link