Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Order what you can finish - my new rule :)

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

I enjoy fine dining.   I often take the model out to lunch or dinner after the photoshoot if both of our schedule permits especially for the trade shoot.  For those who doesn't have the time, I usually fill their tank before they head home.  It becomes a routine for me and I don't think much of it until I got burned.

Recently, I took the model out for Sushi after a long shoot.  She ordered from the menu every item from the very top to very end of with two main courses.  I didn't say much, but thought she must be very hungry.  Unfortunately, she did not eat much, may be about 5% what she ordered.  She wanted all her food packed to GO.  Her food came out to be about $90 and mine was $30.  It looks like that she was buying food for herself for the next few days or for her BF at home; I don't know.  I though that is pretty rude. 

Since then, I have to modify my offer or don't even bother to being nice to offer free food.  I hate it every time when I have to tell the model to order whatever you like on the menu, but can't take food home with her.  I feel like a cheap Bastard. But there is no other way to avoid being ripe off.  ...........

Rant over big_smile

Sep 15 16 11:57 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Connor Photography wrote:
I enjoy fine dining.   I often take the model out to lunch or dinner after the photoshoot if both of our schedule permits especially for the trade shoot.  For those who doesn't have the time, I usually fill their tank before they head home.  It becomes a routine for me and I don't think much of it until I got burned.

Recently, I took the model out for Sushi after a long shoot.  She ordered from the menu every item from the very top to very end of with two main courses.  I didn't say much, but thought she must be very hungry.  Unfortunately, she did not eat much, may be about 5% what she ordered.  She wanted all her food packed to GO.  Her food came out to be about $90 and mine was $30.  It looks like that she was buying food for herself for the next few days or for her BF at home; I don't know.  I though that is pretty rude. 

Since then, I have to modify my offer or don't even bother to being nice to offer free food.  I hate it every time when I have to tell the model to order whatever you like on the menu, but can't take food home with her.  I feel like a cheap Bastard. But there is no other way to avoid being ripe off.  ...........

Rant over big_smile

Yeah you don't have to offer free food. Just ask if they want to get something to eat. Don't say, let me take you to lunch.

If the bill is acceptable at the end, then you can either offer to pay for the entire bill, or go dutch. All you have to do is split the bill at the end.

I've had models buy me lunch, and I've paid for others as well. Luckily never had this happen to me.

Sep 15 16 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

It may be a cultural thing.  I think it is very rude to ask someone (anyone) to go out for lunch or dinner and expect the "someone" has to pay their own tab.  It would never happen to me.  If I ask someone to dine, I will be the host.  smile

Most models I have dealt with were not financially independent; I can't allow them to pay my tab.  It is OK if they buy me a beer before dinner at the bar if she already has her money out. 

I am old school.  big_smile

Sep 15 16 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

It may be a cultural thing.  I think it is very rude to ask someone (anyone) to go out for lunch or dinner and expect the "someone" has to pay their own tab.  It would never happen to me.  If I ask someone to dine, I will be the host.  smile

Stop asking them out to eat
/Problem

Sep 15 16 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

...I hate it every time when I have to tell the model to order whatever you like on the menu, but can't take food home with her.  I feel like a cheap Bastard. But there is no other way to avoid being ripe off.

Instead of going through that embarassing scenario every, single time, especially because I think unethical people like that are rare, here is another idea. Go back to whatever you used to say to invite them for a meal. Then, when the wait-person is taking their order, once it is clear your guest is over ordering, politely ask the wait-person to hold off and give you another few minutes. Have a discussion with your unethical guest about your limits.

Sep 15 16 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Most models I have dealt with were not financially independent; I can't allow them to pay my tab.  It is OK if they buy me a beer before dinner at the bar if she already has her money out. 

If it's a casual "we both need to eat" meal after a shoot, then there shouldn't be any confusion as to whether I'm treating them to a meal, or if we're just having lunch or dinner together.

Some models have expressed that they wanted to buy me lunch, and some have even given me tips on trade shoots. I try to dissuade them, but when someone wants to show appreciation then it's nice and gracious to accept. Some might be uncomfortable with everything being paid for by others, because after all, it's a working relationship/friend lunch, not a date smile

Sometimes during a long shoot, we'll both talk about food and grabbing a bite afterwards. That's not like making someone pay their own tab, that's like two people going out to eat together. Sometimes I'll pay, sometimes we split, sometimes they fight to pay.

And how do you know what my culture is?

Sep 15 16 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

This is one of those threads that makes me scratch my head.

I've been shooting for 30 years, always treat models with respect, but to be honest, I've never, ever had a model invite me to lunch after a shoot.

Maybe I have B.O.

tongue

Sep 15 16 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

hot dog stand next time!

Sep 15 16 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Give 'em 50.00 gift cards from Wallyworld...

Sep 15 16 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

It seems to me OPie is trying to date models but is doing it wrong lmao

Sep 15 16 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

I don't think much of it until I got burned.

Once in all the times you've taken models out? Don't let it change you.

When someone speeds up behind you on the freeway, riding your bumper, you can either think they're being an asshole, and probably be right, or you can or you can think "They may have a sick child and are trying to get to the hospital, so I'm going to move over". You'd be surprised at how effective this is. Your model probably didn't have any food in her house. You helped alleviate her worries about what's she's going to eat.

Sep 15 16 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

So, there's a whole bunch of sushi, and the sushi is not immediately gobbled up? People are weird. My protocol is eat ALL the sushi NAO, then order more sushi and repeat the eat.

Sep 15 16 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

1)  I go out to eat with friends, not business associates.  I've become friends with some of "my" models, but that's <10% of them.  Most of the time, they are treated well, thanked, and sent on their way.  (Same goes for plumbers, electricians, etc.).

2)  My rule of thumb is that the doggie bag goes home with the person who paid for the meal.

3)  But I agree -- I'd feel taken-advantage-of is a dinner guess over-ordered with the intention of getting multiple meals out of me.

4)  I'm usually too tired & sweaty after a session to go out, anyway.

Sep 15 16 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Maybe she had a lot of hungry Sushi eating cats at home. Don't you like animals?

Sep 15 16 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

The F-Stop wrote:
hot dog stand next time!

Totally!

Sep 15 16 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I've had relatives do that to me.  Ouch.  I feel your pain.  I changed it to my treat and I order for us.  Problem solved.

I also make it clear to the waiter that I do all the ordering for the table.  If anything else is ordered the person ordering must sign for it.

I just went to a funeral last weekend for an aunt who once ordered $250 of lobster to go. some people just take advantage.

Sep 16 16 02:43 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

DING DING DING
We have a winner, er loser...

martin b wrote:
I've had relatives do that to me... I just went to a funeral last weekend for an aunt who once ordered $250 of lobster to go. some people just take advantage.

Sep 28 16 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

salvatori. wrote:

I've been shooting for 30 years, always treat models with respect, but to be honest, I've never, ever had a model invite me to lunch after a shoot.

Maybe I have B.O.

tongue

It might be because they've seen what's under your finger nails after you've scratched your head.  j/k  big_smile

Sep 28 16 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

Sep 28 16 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I sometimes dine with Model friends

Once i took 2 Chinese Models out for Sushi

They ate a lot

( fortunately  you can get good all you can eat sushi for under $25  in my part of the world

After our dinner one of the models spent a long time in the washroom

Later she confessed to me that she had an eating disorder - needless to say i did not invite her out to dinner again after that but i did introduce her to one of my closest friends who is a mental health clinician specializing in eating disorders .

I dont think the other Chinese Model had an eating disorder though - She was massively intellegent ( having just graduated from university with an Engineering degree ) I just think her brain needed a lot of calories to keep functioning the way that it did

YuYu - I miss Yu  smile

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120617/22/4fdec2db878fe.jpg

Sep 28 16 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

salvatori. wrote:

Maybe I have B.O.

tongue

Better still when they cook for you

smile

Sep 28 16 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Reading this thread made me reanalyze my SOPs.

Do I eat with togs?  Yes.
Do I eat with models? sometimes.

Could SCOTUS/EEOC construe that as somewhat discriminatory. mmmmmm.
So you invite some but not others?
Sounds exclusionary. Could be a discriminatory practice if there is a pattern of behavior.

Truth be told, if anything, I might try to provide F&B for the shoot at the shoot. Therefore it's there in fact and in truth to support the shoot.

One shoot that went from sunrise to after sun down, we took lunch break and we all went to lunch as group. Was it Dutch treat? Think so.

At another shoot from 10 AM to past midnight in the home of the model, the model and spouse provided lunch and dinner and we all dined together sans any issues.

In another in-home shoot the hosts were model and tog. They provided food.

Male model--Dutch--no issues.

Rigger, model, tog.  Dutch. Although one tog paid for model even though she wasn't expecting.

So eating together is a function of--we need to meet and we're hungry. Operational necessity.

Whether OP has dating overtones as alluded/suggested, IDK.  But I concur that--don't let one abuse color the rest of your professional relationships!

Sep 28 16 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Cam

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Gerardo Martinez wrote:
It seems to me OPie is trying to date models but is doing it wrong lmao

OMFG,
You people eat with the models..

Sep 29 16 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Cam wrote:

OMFG,

I've eaten with models.   smile

Sep 29 16 10:45 am Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

Cam wrote:
OMFG,

Yes, sometimes lunch, sometimes dinner.  Couple times, breakfast after they spent the night.  (They slept in the bedroom over the garage, far from where my wife and I slept.)

Regarding the OPs issue.  Young and inexperienced models sometimes exhibit poor manners.  Don't be disappointed, unless they are old enough to know better.   It hurts when someone takes advantage of your generosity.  Don't let the 80/20 rule turn you into one of the 20.

Sep 29 16 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

portraiturebyBrent wrote:

Once in all the times you've taken models out? Don't let it change you.

When someone speeds up behind you on the freeway, riding your bumper, you can either think they're being an asshole, and probably be right, or you can or you can think "They may have a sick child and are trying to get to the hospital, so I'm going to move over". You'd be surprised at how effective this is. Your model probably didn't have any food in her house. You helped alleviate her worries about what's she's going to eat.

This ^

Sep 29 16 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I often take models that I have established a working friendship with out for lunch or dinner. As I have also taken them to gallery openings and museum shows.

No model has taken advantage of me. They remembered their manners and bought a medium sized meal or we decide to share three to four appetizers.

Sep 29 16 03:38 pm Link