Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > RIP Leonard Cohen

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

This is a huge fuckin loss. Kind of at a loss for words right now, but... DAMMIT. sad

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … 82-w449792

Nov 10 16 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

just heard that. RIP, lc. i'll have to play a few records tonight in respect.

Nov 10 16 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

oh no, I just heard an interview with him the other day on Fresh Air  (I wonder if they knew something? )
a big loss in the music and poetry world  sad

Nov 10 16 06:44 pm Link

Nov 10 16 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

F.U.C.K.

RIP Mr. Cohen. I'll always keep in my heart our many conversations.

Nov 10 16 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

George Holroyd

Budapest, Budapest, Hungary

Just found out about this myself. Some of me favorite songs were written by him, including the Concrete Blonde cover of Everybody Knows.

Nov 10 16 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

and thanks to the MM member who gave me the heads up about his new album and the awesome song "you want it darker".

Nov 11 16 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I always liked his music.  I have one of his albums.

Nov 11 16 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I was lucky enough to get to see and hear him, my child was lucky enough to see and hear him.

Not that the Nobel committee isn't much brighter and better informed and all props to Dylan, but Cohen was the closest thing to a true literary figure in popular music.

It was great, I'm sad.

Nov 11 16 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Sanville Photo

Louisville, Colorado, US

Great music, he will be remembered.

Nov 11 16 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
and thanks to the MM member who gave me the heads up about his new album and the awesome song "you want it darker".

Thanks!  I wasn't aware of the new album.   Great stuff!!!

Nov 11 16 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Warren Leimbach wrote:
Thanks!  I wasn't aware of the new album.   Great stuff!!!

I hate to admit it, but I listen to Pandora (and I shouldn't), and right now, it's tuned to a Leonard Cohen radio station.

The first song played tonight:  I'm Leaving The Table -- pretty appropriate for his passing.  Very good song, but be warned -- it'll make you sad.

I'm listening to him a lot these past few days.  I can see his influence in many of the songs of my favorite, Tom Waits.  It also reminds me of some of the Quentin Tarintino movie sound tracks, like in Kill Bill Vols 1 & 2.

Nov 11 16 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

the legacy of leonard cohen was the ability of other performers to totally transcend his awesome tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olCzs2XiSfk

and i will die saying that without jeff buckley, this tune would never have amounted to half of what it became; for better or worse. and i still love how half the people who listen to it don't get the metaphors. smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIF4_Sm-rgQ

i personally loved him singing his own tunes, but never would disparage those who chose to tackle these great tunes. angelic voices were the glue that bound his art to eternity.

when dylan was recently awarded the nobel prize, i jested (in here) that lc might be miffed, but as it turned out (and as was expected), he was not only gracious, but ecstatic.

Nov 11 16 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Kailua, Hawaii, US

I'm playing Suzanne.

Nov 12 16 12:20 am Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Filmmakers loved him.
One of the longest IMDB pages I have ever seen.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0169552/

Nov 12 16 06:46 am Link

Photographer

R80

Marceline, Missouri, US

Yeah, the notice of his death really hit me but only about a week or so earlier there had been an article about an interview with him and it sounded like he was contemplating his death.  He spoke on how much he missed old friends that had passed and how tired he was.  I don't have a link to the story but I'm sure if you were really interested it could be Googled.  I think you come to a point in your life that you feel you've done about all you can and it's time to move on.  Sad interview, but ominous. 

I don't have his latest album yet and now hope they have copies left.  Other than that, I'm missing one album  Great music and I've been a follower since about 1971.

Nov 12 16 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

R80 wrote:
Yeah, the notice of his death really hit me but only about a week or so earlier there had been an article about an interview with him and it sounded like he was contemplating his death.

Yeah, I think I saw that article, too.  I guess he was having back pain and grieving for the loss of friends.  Also, a few years ago, he found out that a trusted business manager embezzled something like $5 million from his retirement accounts, forcing him to give concerts & tour when his body just wasn't up for the challenge.  If true, that's about the saddest thing I've heard in a long time.

Nov 12 16 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Last night my wife and I were lucky enough you witness a very moving tribute to mr cohen. Col. Chris Hadfield, Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman singing hallelujah while 2200 people in the audience sang along. Very beautiful moment.

Nov 13 16 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Peter Claver wrote:
Last night my wife and I were lucky enough you witness a very moving tribute to mr cohen. Col. Chris Hadfield, Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman singing hallelujah while 2200 people in the audience sang along. Very beautiful moment.

thank god you weren't referring to last night's snl cold open, which was just awful. and i (selfishly) wish people would get a little more familiar with the scope of his songwriting prowess, outside of hallelujah. but i guess that's me being selfish.

a few years ago, i went to a k.d. lang show at the hollywood bowl, right after she released hymns of the 49th parallel. what made the evening somewhat bizarre was that rufus wainwright opened for her, and they both performed their versions of hallelujah, during their separate sets. smile

Nov 13 16 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Nov 15 16 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

GK photo wrote:
wish people would get a little more familiar with the scope of his songwriting prowess, outside of hallelujah.

And poetry

Nov 15 16 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

An article that might be of interest:  Leonard Cohen's manager gives new details about his death.

Nov 16 16 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

i see that he went with the traditional jewish funeral. good on him.

hey, i'd gladly take dying in my sleep. it beats a whole lot of awful ways to go.

again, rip.

Nov 16 16 08:35 pm Link