Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Viewing Nude Women

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:
If you mean in my galleries, I just find a woman's body more appealing aesthetically. I am biased like that. I do know some folks who do awesome male nudes that I like o.k. but only Stein is on MS and he hasn't posted in like forever.

No, not in your galleries or was it meant to address preferences. And you are correct that male nudes are fairly sparse on MS.

I was asking about the thread title and framing of the subject as a point of curiosity. It is, as I mentioned less common to be gender specific about the overall subject of nudes in an art context than it is in various entertainment contexts. Think about the phrase nude women and where you might see it. If I'm talking about nudes in greek sculpture or the body in art, 20th century nudes, etc. any of which might be common titles of books or exhibitions, it's not gender specific. Nude women is a term more generally associated with entertainment.

Preferences are an entirely different matter and all curators or spectators have those, often with some relation to gender.

Nov 14 16 02:08 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:

No, not in your galleries or was it meant to address preferences. And you are correct that male nudes are fairly sparse on MS.

I was asking about the thread title and framing of the subject as a point of curiosity. It is, as I mentioned less common to be gender specific about the overall subject of nudes in an art context than it is in various entertainment contexts. Think about the phrase nude women and where you might see it. If I'm talking about nudes in greek sculpture or the body in art, 20th century nudes, etc. any of which might be common titles of books or exhibitions, it's not gender specific. Nude women is a term more generally associated with entertainment.

Preferences are an entirely different matter and all curators or spectators have those, often with some relation to gender.

O.K. I see. Well I titled it this because my galleries that I referenced and linked only include nude women...lol. There was no intent to belittle the importance of nude men to art.

As far as entertainment goes, I see your point and agree. I reckon there are lots of people who like looking at all different kinds of pictures of nude women just for funs.

Nov 14 16 02:56 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

FallenEcho wrote:
Oh hey look it's me! big_smile

My taste in nudes is the same as yours.

Sadly I haven't posing as much as I used to and am falling out of it... Still trying to hang in there though with a few threads of hope left.

I am a big fan.

Nov 14 16 02:58 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Marcio Faustino wrote:
I don't like most what I find around. There are very few photographers and models I actually like to follow.

What I usually don't like is when there are more background or foreground and the model is just a detail in the picture. I like when the model is the main subject .

I also don't like photos that are supposed to be erotic nude and show too much.

I usually don't like when show the subject as object. I prefer when the subject is represented as human, with feelings and expression.

Thank you Marcio. You certainly manage to embody your preferences in your own work. Kudos.

Nov 14 16 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:

O.K. I see. Well I titled it this because my galleries that I referenced and linked only include nude women...lol. There was no intent to belittle the importance of nude men to art.

As far as entertainment goes, I see your point and agree. I reckon there are lots of people who like looking at all different kinds of pictures of nude women just for funs.

Merely a curiosity about categories and presentation, I never perceived any intent to belittle. It's an interesting subject, thanks for bringing it up.

Nov 14 16 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:

David made some very good decisions, including technical ones that allow for uploading and viewing high quality image files. His editorial slant and outreach are excellent as well. It's pretty quiet over there and i don't get back to it as much as I should given the quality.

On another note, why the gender limitation? That seems to me to be one of the definitions that often segregates entertainment images from the fine art presentations.

True , an upcoming issue of Model Society magazine will be doing a feature of my work including a number of male nudes, that many folks don't realize I shoot.

Nov 15 16 12:41 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

True , an upcoming issue of Model Society magazine will be doing a feature of my work including a number of male nudes, that many folks don't realize I shoot.

Oh this makes me happy. Yay!

Nov 15 16 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Charles Howse

Vero Beach, Florida, US

As usual Lisa, your curating is exceptional!

Nov 15 16 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I just plain like women, clothed or unclothed, in person or represented on paper or canvas, in photographs or paint or marble.  From the voluptuous, overstated sensuality of Rubens to the almost snapshot-ish simplicity of Jock Sturgis or the erotic coltishness of David Hamilton to the "Sex with a sense of humor" of the traditional pinup artists and photographers, I just can't identify a favorite style or method of viewing.

Nov 15 16 07:19 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Charles Howse wrote:
As usual Lisa, your curating is exceptional!

Thank you Sir Charles.

Nov 16 16 01:45 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
I just plain like women, clothed or unclothed, in person or represented on paper or canvas, in photographs or paint or marble.  From the voluptuous, overstated sensuality of Rubens to the almost snapshot-ish simplicity of Jock Sturgis or the erotic coltishness of David Hamilton to the "Sex with a sense of humor" of the traditional pinup artists and photographers, I just can't identify a favorite style or method of viewing.

+1

Nov 16 16 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Lisa, I have been enjoying this thread. Your threads are never boring and I appreciate that. Thanks...

Nov 16 16 07:38 am Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

So recently the nude figure has taken on a renaissance locally... I am in a nude figure show that was juried by jurors from PAFA...

Four or five local venues coincidentally are having figure shows over the next three months.

The show I'm in now had record turnout for the opening. The director of the arts organization who ran the show said in her 35 years at the helm, she had never seen such a turn out.

So for me... as a painter who works a lot with the figure, it is a pleasurable sight...

oh and last year, I sold almost as many figure paintings as I did all of the rest... this was the first year that has happen since I started selling my work.

Nov 16 16 09:15 am Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:
I love looking at artful images of nude female models. These are some of my favorites all in one place.

http://modelsociety.com/Model/Lisa-Ever … ite-Picks-

http://modelsociety.com/Model/Lisa-Ever … Picks-Too-

What is your favorite genre of images of nude women and method of viewing and why?

Your choices are exceptional.

Nov 16 16 12:46 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
Lisa, I have been enjoying this thread. Your threads are never boring and I appreciate that. Thanks...

Hey Frank. You're welcome and thank you too. I hope all is well up there.

Nov 17 16 02:12 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

27255 wrote:

Your choices are exceptional.

Oh thank you. I try hard to find good ones.

Nov 17 16 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Justin Matthews

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Great topic Lisa

I'd  have to say that my favourites to see and shoot are the nudes with unusual locations. I like to think that when people see my stuff that they are just as interested in the location as they are with the nude.

Nov 17 16 02:19 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Justin Matthews wrote:
Great topic Lisa

I'd  have to say that my favourites to see and shoot are the nudes with unusual locations. I like to think that when people see my stuff that they are just as interested in the location as they are with the nude.

I am the same Justin. Landscapes, street scenes and around the house nudes are great I think. I swear I am going to get down there one day to see all you guys.

Nov 18 16 04:11 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:

I am the same Justin. Landscapes, street scenes and around the house nudes are great I think. I swear I am going to get down there one day to see all you guys.

I recently photographed a nude in the desert when the sun was going down.  It's beautiful!

Nov 18 16 04:46 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Nude photography used to be my favorite genre.

Then, a nude model pointed out to me that all nude women look the same.

Mind blown.

Nov 22 16 05:13 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

All r not created equal!

Nov 22 16 05:41 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

hbutz New York wrote:

Mind blown.

False!   big_smile

Nov 22 16 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

hbutz New York wrote:

Mind blown.

To me they are like beautiful snow flakes in that no two women look alike. They are the poetry of the Universe.

Nov 22 16 05:45 am Link