Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Gobble, gooble. What's your first bite?

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

I LOVE THANKSGIVING DINNER... Glad it's only once a year because I'm usually so full I sleep the rest of the day away.

On the car radio yesterday (yes, I'm old and still listen to the radio) the question came up, "what is your first bite of food?"

For me, stuffing. Yum

What about you?

Nov 23 16 07:06 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I've been in trainin' for a month now, eatin' at least a whole punkin pie a day  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 23 16 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Fork full of stuffing mixed with cranberry sauce. smile

Nov 23 16 07:56 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

The dressing, easily. I'm making cornbread and sausage dressing from scratch this year. I'm actually in charge of the entire dinner this year because my boyfriend wanted to make dinner "together" for his shithead mom (she's basically a disgruntled old lady who hates everything) and his extended family I've never met. He basically needs instruction on EVERYTHING in the kitchen. Cooking isn't intuitive to him AT ALL. He needed me to tell him what heat to cook scrambled eggs on. lol So I'm basically trying to make everything as simple as I can. He's about to call me to help him dry brine the turkey. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of blood by the end of this. lol

Nov 23 16 07:58 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

With turkey being a thanksgiving tradition (The US being the only country on the entire planet to celebrate), what is on the menu for Christmas - as a tradition?

Nov 23 16 08:01 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:
With turkey being a thanksgiving tradition (The US being the only country on the entire planet to celebrate), what is on the menu for Christmas - as a tradition?

Glazed ham. Spiral sliced, usually. Same sort of sides we have for Thanksgiving just not as much. And I don't think we do much cranberry sauce/relish on Christmas.

Nov 23 16 08:07 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

IDK!
You expect me to project that far into the future?!

Nov 23 16 08:17 am Link

Photographer

David Shinobi

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

For X-mas, its always been a seafood extravaganza for us.

Nov 23 16 08:19 am Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

I don't have family in the area so I get together with a friend and we scour the Internet for restaurants offering a traditional family meal.  We wound up at Ruth Chris last year, but regretted not ordering the steak on Thanksgiving.

Thinking ahead, I bought a 4lb breast and did a quick roast this past Sunday.  The meal ran into Monday with all the stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie.

Ironically enough, another friend showed up on Sunday while I'm preparing my 4lb roast, leaving me another full 16 pound frozen Butterball....  so... I'm thawing that this week in time for Friday when I'll roast up another full bird just for myself.

That's a lot of turkey.

I usually have turkey for Yule as well... this year, I'm thinking lasagna.

Nov 23 16 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

We generally have a turkey for both holidays and lots of turkey sandwiches for a week after! Yum, yum...

Nov 23 16 09:04 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Canada celebrates thanksgiving as well, just a month earlier. It's not quite as big of a deal, but its certainly still a celebration.

We've hosted the last two years because my parents come up from the states and we're the only ones in the family with enough room for everyone, so I've insisted on traditional thanksgiving foods. I think my first canadian thanksgiving was at my in-laws and I was completely thrown by a non-traditional pork loin and other non-traditional veggies spread, I thought I was going to get lucky and have two thanksgiving dinners. Now I make sure I do.

Christmas is typically a ham, unless you didn't have turkey for thanksgiving, then you have turkey. Or both. If you're particularly weird or adventurous, goose.

My parents have always done turkey pot pie, and lasagna for my sister at christmas. Now that we're both moved out and they don't see the rest of our family anymore I don't know what my mom will do this year.

Nov 23 16 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Jun Weaver Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

sospix wrote:
I've been in trainin' for a month now, eatin' at least a whole punkin pie a day  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Pumpkin pie sounds great.

Nov 23 16 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

my start is almost always mashed potatoes and gravy  smile

Nov 23 16 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Blue Cube Imaging wrote:
I LOVE THANKSGIVING DINNER... Glad it's only once a year because I'm usually so full I sleep the rest of the day away.

On the car radio yesterday (yes, I'm old and still listen to the radio) the question came up, "what is your first bite of food?"

For me, stuffing. Yum

What about you?

I listen to the radio too.  Satellite radio, Sirius XM
I also like stuffing!

Nov 23 16 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

Another day of over eating... Garlic crusted prime rib and a flame finished spiral ham plus all the fixins'.

Nov 23 16 10:11 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Jun Weaver Photography wrote:

Sweet potato pie is MILES better. big_smile

Nov 23 16 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jun Weaver Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Sweet potato pie is MILES better. big_smile

Haven't had one myself.

You know what? I'm gonna buy one! smile

Nov 23 16 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

Jun Weaver Photography wrote:

My pumpkin pie looks more like this...

https://funnyrepost.com/images/20151203/The-correct-pumpkin-pie-to-whip-cream-ratio-funnyrepost.com-.jpg

Nov 23 16 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jun Weaver Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Blue Cube Imaging wrote:

My pumpkin pie looks more like this...

https://funnyrepost.com/images/20151203/The-correct-pumpkin-pie-to-whip-cream-ratio-funnyrepost.com-.jpg

Ah... tears of joy.

Can't wait!

Nov 23 16 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

Cranberry sauce gobble gobble

Nov 23 16 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Blue Cube Imaging wrote:
What's your first bite?

the thumbprint cookies with the hershey kiss in the center, at least three for starters...

Nov 23 16 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Magus

El Cajon, California, US

Mince pie is heavenly.

Nov 23 16 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

i don't do traditional thanksgiving food...haven't for years. it's just too much effing food. i make (and have made) a thanksgiving lasagna for years. salad on the side, and gelato for dessert. my sicilian half rules this day. smile

gobble gobble, my ass. tongue no animals are pardoned--or in need of pardon--on my thanksgiving.

Nov 23 16 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Springfield Fotografiya

Springfield, Missouri, US

Blue Cube Imaging wrote:

For me, stuffing. Yum

What about you?

Stuffing-Fried Turkey Tenders

Nov 24 16 01:54 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Greens! 🤑

Nov 24 16 02:49 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

According to the history books

Thanksgiving Day can be traced back to the 1621 celebration at the Plymouth Plantation, where the religious refugees from England known popularly as the Pilgrims invited the local Native Americans to a harvest feast after a particularly successful growing season.

The previous year's harvests had failed and in the winter of 1620, half of the pilgrims had starved to death.

Luckily for the rest, members of the local Wampanoag tribe taught the Pilgrims how to grow corn, beans and squash (the Three Sisters); catch fish, and collect seafood.

There are only two contemporary accounts of the 1621 Thanksgiving, but it's clear that turkey was not on the menu. The three-day feast included goose, lobster, cod and deer.

So in other words, Turkey has nothing to do with Thanksgiving Day

Nov 24 16 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Blue Cube Imaging wrote:
Glad it's only once a year because I'm usually so full I sleep the rest of the day away.

Being a Canadian/American couple my wife and I are lucky enough to get 2 thanksgivings a year!  We're about to head to her parents' place for second thanksgiving (Thanksgiving is in early October in Canada).

I'm trying to remember what my first bite was last month.. probably mashed potatoes.

I might try the stuffing first this time.

Nov 24 16 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Thanksgiving Day can be traced back to the 1621 celebration at the Plymouth Plantation, where the religious refugees from England known popularly as the Pilgrims invited the local Native Americans to a harvest feast after a particularly successful growing season.

The previous year's harvests had failed and in the winter of 1620, half of the pilgrims had starved to death.

Luckily for the rest, members of the local Wampanoag tribe taught the Pilgrims how to grow corn, beans and squash (the Three Sisters); catch fish, and collect seafood.

There are only two contemporary accounts of the 1621 Thanksgiving, but it's clear that turkey was not on the menu. The three-day feast included goose, lobster, cod and deer.

So in other words, Turkey has nothing to do with Thanksgiving Day

Turkey is traditional now!
My turkey is in the roaster now.  It's almost done.

Nov 24 16 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Or, perhaps it was 60 years earlier in Florida: 

http://www.history.com/news/did-florida … anksgiving

http://www.jaxhistory.org/timucua_first_thanksgiving/

Anyone here serving traditional alligator for Thanksgiving?

Nov 24 16 09:46 am Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

I've been up since around 5 am prepping and frying turkeys for friends and neighbors who are too wussy to play with vats of boiling oil.  I just finished my fourth bird and have one more to fry for the folks coming here for dinner at 6 pm.  Fried turkey!  Accept no substitutes! Well, maybe smoked will do in a pinch...

Nov 24 16 11:21 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Goose or suckling pig of course.

Today, however, as there are only two of us it's:
roast duck breasts;
German style potato salad;
devilled eggs;
bread dressing;
apple sauce;
ice cream with fresh berries

Studio36

Nov 24 16 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

David Shinobi  wrote:

For X-mas, its always been a seafood extravaganza for us.

Just a by-the-by, the Festa dei sette pesci [Feast of the Seven Fishes] is an Italian traditional Christmas Eve meal, also known as also known as La Vigilia [The Vigil]

I miss, in many many ways, the area where I grew up because I got to share the varying style of Christmas celebrations associated with a number of our local ethnic neighbourhoods; Italian; English/Scots/Irish; German; Greek; and some other eastern European cultures including Polish, Hungarian, Czech, Slovak, ect, in smaller numbers that lived in the area and who were mostly first generation post WW2 immigrants. I went to school with all of their children. Multiculturalism has a very personal meaning to me, especially at the holidays.

Studio36

Nov 24 16 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

My first bite is always the turkey...sampling while carving. smile

Nov 24 16 02:43 pm Link