Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Sad - It's happened again - bad train track shoot

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

NAVASOTA, TX --
The mother of a 19-year-old woman says her daughter was killed when she was struck by a train while having photos taken of her on the tracks in a bid to launch a modeling career.

Hakamie Stevenson told The Eagle newspaper that her daughter, Fredzania Thompson, attended Blinn College in Bryan but wanted to put her education on hold to begin modeling.

Authorities say Thompson was standing between two sets of tracks Friday in Navasota when a BNSF Railway train approached.

http://abc13.com/news/texas-woman-doing … n/1801753/

Mar 15 17 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

You snooze you loose.

Mar 15 17 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Python Photos

Rawlins, Wyoming, US

People need to pay attention to what they are doing. I like those images, but having enough people on the shoot to keep track of trains is necessary.

Mar 15 17 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

Way easier than people realize to let a train sneak up on you. In this case she got out of the way of one train just in time to walk in front of another one coming from the other direction.

Mar 15 17 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

That's the risk for the industry must have Train Track shots

The struggle is real.

Mar 15 17 06:46 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I hope the photographer goes to jail.

Mar 15 17 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Kailua, Hawaii, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I hope the photographer goes to jail.

He might.  That was trespassing.

Mar 15 17 10:21 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Criminal Trespass
Reckless Endangerment
Involuntary Manslaughter
Maybe more.  Depends on the laws of the state.

Not without precedent:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/09/entertain … dent-plea/

Mar 16 17 04:58 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I have several relatives who worked for different railroads, and the railroads take this stuff quite seriously.  The railroad police will arrest people found on the right of way along the tracks, not just if they are standing on the tracks, and will prosecute them for trespassing and other violations. It takes a long time for a moving train to stop, so that probably isn't going to happen in time for you to be safe. If you suddenly appear on the tracks and the train is close,  if they see you it may be too late for them to even blow the horn to warn you.

I agree everyone involved here should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Aren't there plenty of abandoned train tracks in every state, where there would be no danger of a train coming?  That would make more sense for anyone who thought they needed that sort of photos.

Mar 16 17 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Train track shots are on my short list of things I refuse to shoot, ever. Not because of it's illegal to be on the tracks. My refusal is based on something more pragmatic; it's cliche'. It's been done, over and over and over again. There is nothing original about it. A million photographers have done it. A million other models and millions more high school seniors have done it. It is boring, uninteresting, and unoriginal.

It's sadder still to lose one's life over it.

Mar 16 17 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Docta Shock Fotografix

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Francisco Castro wrote:
Train track shots are on my short list of things I refuse to shoot, ever. Not because of it's illegal to be on the tracks. My refusal is based on something more pragmatic; it's cliche'. It's been done, over and over and over again. There is nothing original about it.

I kind of like the challenge of doing something that others have done and making it work within my vision. One could say the same thing about love songs but talented artists still seem to come up with great new ones! But I agree, losing one's life over a shot is unacceptable. All involved should be prosecuted.

Mar 17 17 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Cyber Zeds Photography

Mountain View, California, US

NO photograph is worth someone's life!!  If you are a photographer and you are shooting on location, you have a responsibility to make sure your model is not put in unnessasary danger just to get a "Awesome Photo".  That photographers shooting days are OVER.  He can be sued and criminally prosecuted for doing what he did.

Please value your models and keep them safe.  Your life could change for the worse if you don't.

Mar 17 17 09:08 am Link

Photographer

G3B Photography

Orangevale, California, US

Shooting on train tracks, even dead tracks, is one shoot I will never do again.  Not for any reasons that I have seen here though; for me it is simply a safety issue.  When people see photos done on a set of train tracks, they do not know the circumstances of the shoot.  They do not know if those particular tracks are dead tracks.  They do not know if the photographer has permission to be there.  They do not know how many people were on the shoot. They just see a photo and may think "that's a cool photo" and may want to duplicate it themselves, not understanding the inherent danger of trains and/or train tracks. I do not want to be the one to inspire somebody to shoot on train tracks and then end up hurt...or worse. jm2c

Mar 23 17 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

I almost got killed by a light rail in Berlin. I was takinga photo of a church and tower thingie and didn't even notice the tracks. If I  steped 1 foot forwards toward the tracks I woul have been splat. Train never slowed down. No warning horn or anything.

Taught me to pay more attention lol.

Mar 23 17 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I don't understand how these images are more cool or artistic than sitting on a rock, etc.

"...she was so young, but this is what she wanted. She wanted, to become a model," said Stephenson."

It seems sad to me that she thought she had to do this to become a model.

Mar 23 17 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

G3B Photography wrote:
I do not want to be the one to inspire somebody to shoot on train tracks and then end up hurt...or worse. jm2c

That is a noble stance and for multiple reasons I have decided to do the same in the future, however I still have a bit of a mixed feeling about it. There are tracks that have been bought by other government entities and turned into walking and biking paths, and there are privately owned museums, etc. where it is perfectly safe and legal to shoot. If we are going to use the potential that others may not do their own due diligence then by logical extension we should pressure Hollywood from using trains and train tracks in their films, lest any amateur film maker gets inspired. Movie films get a much higher viewership than our photos ever will.

Mar 23 17 10:05 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

G3B Photography wrote:
They do not know if those particular tracks are dead tracks.  They do not know if the photographer has permission to be there.

Short of a full production company with deep pockets, the photographer virtually never has permission from the RR.  I used to work for a company that occasionally worked on the RR right of way.  Part of getting the permit to do so involved getting a $1 million insurance policy with the RR as a named insured and paying a $750 permit fee.  If they were live tracks, we had to have a RR employee on site who was in radio communication with the RR dispatcher.  If there was a train coming, we had to be clear (read that as at least 25 feet from the closest rail) at least 15 minutes before the train would get there.

And although it defies many people's sense of logic. trains really CAN sneak up on you.

Mar 26 17 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Dan K Photography wrote:
I almost got killed by a light rail in Berlin. I was takinga photo of a church and tower thingie and didn't even notice the tracks. If I  steped 1 foot forwards toward the tracks I woul have been splat. Train never slowed down. No warning horn or anything.

Taught me to pay more attention lol.

Funny - I had the same experience in Berlin. A friend pulled me just enough out of the way to avoid getting splattered, and I kept shooting. If trains had rear view mirrors, I'd have been in the hospital.

I was safe because I had an alert, protective friend nearby that was looking out for me. But you don't always have that luxury, and that's why this is illegal.

Mar 26 17 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Just like dumb idiots talking/texting on cell phones while driving and walking on the streets. I bet more people are killed that way than on train tracks.

Mar 26 17 07:42 pm Link