Forums > Photography Talk > Anyone planning to shoot the eclipse next month?

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

It's a rare total solar eclipse visible across the entire United States. Of course totality is limited to a narrow swath from South Carolina to Oregon. I'm heading to the Idaho / Wyoming area depending on the forecast. Anyone else planning to shoot it? I still need to pick up a solar filter. I'm hoping to get a 400mm lens in the next week to get some decent shots using my ioptron Skytracker Pro tracker.

Jul 08 17 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Yingwah Productions

New York, New York, US

I was just looking up airfares for it. I have friends in portland i might visit but i'll probably skip trying to shoot it. airports are just a nightmare and alot won't allow pelican cases for carry on even tho its the approved size. Not worth the hassle even with insurance, unless i suddenly find a paying gig to shoot it.
Also its happening at around 11:30am, hard to get anything else in being so high in sky. Shooting a white circle kinda boring.

Jul 09 17 03:31 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Not I but not ruled out.

Jul 09 17 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

A friend of mine was considering driving up to Wyoming with me and then flying back to LA after the eclipse. Airfare from Jackson WY to LA was just under $400 for flights before the eclipse but $1800 for afternoon flights after it. Absolutely crazy.

Jul 09 17 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

HV images

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Yingwah Productions wrote:
I was just looking up airfares for it. I have friends in portland i might visit but i'll probably skip trying to shoot it. airports are just a nightmare and alot won't allow pelican cases for carry on even tho its the approved size. Not worth the hassle even with insurance, unless i suddenly find a paying gig to shoot it.
Also its happening at around 11:30am, hard to get anything else in being so high in sky. Shooting a white circle kinda boring.

Sorry for the shameless plug, but I have just done a short note on photographing the sun, it can actually be much more interesting than you might think http://hvalladares.com/solar-spots/

Jul 10 17 07:21 am Link

Photographer

HV images

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

This is today's image, there was a signifiant spot but in general there's very little solar activity at this time.

https://hvalladares.com/mm/sun-11-july-2017.JPG

Jul 11 17 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

V-Flat Travis

Capitol Heights, Maryland, US

Yes. Staying in a small city in the Area of Total Blackout. Using 3 cameras, one to take BTS, 2 for the Eclipse.

Jul 14 17 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

years ago, i journeyed to la paz, mexico to see a 7 minute full eclipse. if i were asked for advice on this much shorter one i'd say to skip the photos (there will be zillions online) and just enjoy and grok the total experience.

and oh yeah...observe all safety precautions.

Jul 17 17 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Dream-foto

Chico, California, US

Don't shoot the eclipse, shoot the people watching it.

Jul 17 17 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brian K PHOTO

Summerville, South Carolina, US

Solar camera filters were discussed at our recent photo club meeting. The sun could burn out your sensor.  A member showed a low cost alternative filter he purchased from B & H  for $16.95
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ … ilter.html

Wear protective solar glasses for your eyes also.

Jul 18 17 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Koenig

Gillette, New Jersey, US

An appropriate filter is absolutely necessary if you intend to photograph the sun at any time but during totality.

During totality, the same filter will make it impossible to get any usable images at all. At that time, the sun's corona is about as bright as the full moon (I think it's a stop or so different, and don't remember whether it's brighter or dimmer). That means that you must remove the filter to get any images during totality--and they're the really interesting ones--and you absolutely must be sure to point the camera away from the sun (or put the lens cap on) before totality ends.

Jul 19 17 10:35 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I've chased after 3 solar eclipses.  got great pics of pre and post totality.  awesome pics of clouds covering totality every time sad  if you go for it, try for a place that has a reputation for zero clouds and rain (james taylor never played there).   I'm going to be in the desert a week later but I'm not changing my trip for it.  best of luck to all who go for it!

Jul 21 17 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Eclipse chaser reveals how to prepare for next month's historic event - and why clouds don't necessarily spell disaster
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … event.html

NASA Moon data provides more accurate 2017 eclipse path
http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/ … 700726.mp4

http://www.weather.gov/riw/eclipse
            "Over the last 3 years past satellite shows little cloud cover over Wyoming and Nebraska."

Jul 22 17 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Planning an eclipse photoshoot roadtrip to Wyoming with a fellow photographer friend, the Grand Teton National Park.  I've seen postcards and images of this place... AMAZING!  Should be stunning for an eclipse foreground or background.

Jul 28 17 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Finding a room just outside the totality path should be easier than finding one inside the totality path. Most people would rather get up early and drive an hour or two than pay $400 to $600 per night with a three-night minimum, for example. In the end, perhaps it's best to choose a larger city either grazed by, or slightly outside, the totality path that should have more hotel rooms, such as Portland, Oregon; Boise, Idaho; Kansas City, Missouri; St. Louis; or Knoxville, Tennessee. It could be more difficult for hotel operators to try to price gouge in places like that.

Jul 28 17 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Wife and I have been planning this for some time.
We were originally going to stay in a non reserve campground near Jackson Wyoming. We have learned the 16 day limit is being abused by people who are trading back and forth campgrounds and many of the campgrounds are already taken.
We think we will stay near Casaper and do what Ken suggested in an area we have stayed at before that we like. We hope to settle in several days before the eclipse. If we find it is already to full we will head to some family I have in Nebraska where a room is always available for us. One way or another we will be in the path of totality. I cannot believe all the people with no lives. My wife and I thought we were the worst but we aren't even close.

Honestly I am just wanting the campground as my wife and I are as much looking forward to a few nights of using a telescope I bought for her several years ago that we don't use often enough.  I'm not sure I really even care about photographing it as it will likely just be the same dang shot a zillion other people will get. I might just let it roll and enjoy the moment.

I say that like I mean it but I also bought a set of ND filters. You know, just in case.

Jul 28 17 04:55 pm Link