Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > Remember when this place was cool?

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Been here since 2005. Did some great shoots, and made good friends.  There are virtually no more magazines to shoot for sad to say. There also seems to be a  dearth of models as well. I know it's been a while when all the models in my portfolio here are retired.

Sep 01 18 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

The weight of the ego's round here just got to be too much to enjoy any more.

A lot of the wonderful creative spirit that use to fill this site left when people started to convince each other that "collaboration" was a bad idea.

Mar 30 19 02:20 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Art Silva wrote:

woo woo... yeah it was, but now I get to bed at a more decent hour. Back then not so much, haha.
... I joined the following month. Ah the good ole days!
:-)

I remember about 2012, I was taking my first real "break" from shooting, but not from MM. We had a group chat thing I'd sign on with a few message board people and we'd play drinking games online. It was great.

Mar 31 19 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Alexandra Vincent wrote:

I remember about 2012, I was taking my first real "break" from shooting, but not from MM. We had a group chat thing I'd sign on with a few message board people and we'd play drinking games online. It was great.

You are one of the few cool ones that is still around!    smile

Apr 01 19 11:40 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

You are one of the few cool ones that is still around!    smile

I still use MM for the browse function and cold calling.

I honestly get most of my work from Facebook and Instagram these days.

People here are so mean now.

Apr 02 19 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Still here, wishing there  was  energy and  excitement  to be  had.
I made some  great friends, did  great work,  and  had  memorable  moments with the  folks  here.

Well,  with those I worked  with then, today: not much  happening  sad  to say.

Apr 08 19 05:45 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

I remember it was fun, but nothing specific. Lately, I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast, or if I had breakfast smile

May 10 19 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

AHA model 3290 Lapis from 2004 and this port as my moderator port in 06 or something. I HAVE A PORTFOLIO WITH less digits than a zipcode.

OMG when I first joined i think i posterbated with about ten other people across every single fora for hours. They made us moderators becasue they had to do that or ban us. And some of us didnt get drunk too much and post and some of us knew third person so it was awesome. And then people got like all effed up and high on the tiny amount of power that moderating a website gives one....around that time I left MM. It was fun as holy hell though. Now? lol . no one even remembers how fabulous I was sad. OR that I inflicted the site with Bob Randall *one of my besties from my chitown days*

Jul 15 19 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Twistedstorm studio wrote:
AHA model 3290 Lapis from 2004 and this port as my moderator port in 06 or something. I HAVE A PORTFOLIO WITH less digits than a zipcode.

OMG when I first joined i think i posterbated with about ten other people across every single fora for hours. They made us moderators becasue they had to do that or ban us. And some of us didnt get drunk too much and post and some of us knew third person so it was awesome. And then people got like all effed up and high on the tiny amount of power that moderating a website gives one....around that time I left MM. It was fun as holy hell though. Now? lol . no one even remembers how fabulous I was sad. OR that I inflicted the site with Bob Randall *one of my besties from my chitown days*

I remember you!!! Not clearly but that would be wrong.
Robert Randall was the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket with a Nikon only infinitely more betterer!!!!

Jul 15 19 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Once upon a time we had... The Pit.

Jul 18 19 09:23 pm Link

Model

Nicole Black

Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, US

Oh wowwwww...I just logged in to update information and wondered if SF2 even existed anymore!

It's sad to see how much things have died off, but I just got SUCH a kick out of seeing some familiar names and body parts...I mean...faces tongue

FWIW, I hope anyone who sees this and/or remembers chatting a decade (eeeeep) or so ago is doing well!
(Name change, btw. Formerly Nolette)

Jul 22 19 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Nicole Black wrote:
Oh wowwwww...I just logged in to update information and wondered if SF2 even existed anymore!

It's sad to see how much things have died off, but I just got SUCH a kick out of seeing some familiar names and body parts...I mean...faces tongue

FWIW, I hope anyone who sees this and/or remembers chatting a decade (eeeeep) or so ago is doing well!
(Name change, btw. Formerly Nolette)

I remember you, you were/are legendary. Nice port, love the new pix. Recognize a couple of oldies too!

*waves*

Jul 22 19 09:40 pm Link

Model

SneakySexy

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I poked in here because someone asked me about a photographer to work with. None of them have been active in YEARS and my friends list has shrunk by probably 100 people. I had pulled most of my pics a long time ago and decided to put them back up for shits and giggles and am super sad that several of them I can't because they are "too small." They are the exact same pic I pulled. They haven't been edited or changed in any way and a couple are some of the coolest shots.

Feb 16 20 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I heard MM recently came out with a new thing called ‘an App’, but only for something called ‘a Droid’.

Every year I keep meaning to cancel my paid subscription, but I’m pretty sure my subscription is there only source of revenue.

Feb 20 20 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Al_Vee Photography

Robb Mann wrote:
I heard MM recently came out with a new thing called ‘an App’, but only for something called ‘a Droid’.

Every year I keep meaning to cancel my paid subscription, but I’m pretty sure my subscription is there only source of revenue.

Eh, I have an ancient Droid phone.

Mar 07 20 08:34 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

*waves*

I'm alive and well. Left the entire modeling world behind and honestly, I'm glad I did with what it has turned into. What a shitshow.
I show dogs mostly these days.

I still pop my head in every so often though just to let folks know I didn't die.

Apr 30 20 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Nicolette wrote:
*waves*

I'm alive and well. Left the entire modeling world behind and honestly, I'm glad I did with what it has turned into. What a shitshow.
I show dogs mostly these days.

I still pop my head in every so often though just to let folks know I didn't die.

Goodie!!!
It's not dead here, dead stuff smells bad. This doesn't do anything at all, ever. Sad.

May 01 20 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

Previous cliques pissed off a lot of people and many others left due to ownership changes. Then there's those of us who have an account (such as myself) that pop in every now and then just to see if anything has improved.

I find that my mail on here is solely from retouchers and traveling models so that doesn't help to draw me back to using this site more. I focus most of my shoot efforts on Facebook and for the last few years it has done very well for me.

May 01 20 08:51 pm Link

Model

Keith NYC

Tampa, Florida, US

Did they ever remove SF2 at some point?

May 08 20 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Keith NYC wrote:
Did they ever remove SF2 at some point?

I don't recall that happening. I think it was called something else previously but I can't remember what the name was.

Were you here when they decided Soapbox was too pent up and created The Pit?

That didn't last long. It was brutal!!! I eviscerated a few subhumans and took a few hits myself.

I wish Facebook would just become The Pit, where anything goes as long as you are pissed off, unreasonable and scathing.

Oh wait, it's been that way for years...

May 08 20 08:54 pm Link

Model

Keith NYC

Tampa, Florida, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
I don't recall that happening. I think it was called something else previously but I can't remember what the name was.

Were you here when they decided Soapbox was too pent up and created The Pit?

That didn't last long. It was brutal!!! I eviscerated a few subhumans and took a few hits myself.

I wish Facebook would just become The Pit, where anything goes as long as you are pissed off, unreasonable and scathing.

Oh wait, it's been that way for years...

Ahhh alright. Well I do remember when Soapbox closed. I do NOT remember "The Pit" though...The Pit actually sounds like a place that would possible manage a pulse...Such a shame to see it go. (Although) I never witnessed it. Haha)

((Edit#3, if I miss click on this tiny touchlad one more time I think I will leave as is))

May 08 20 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Keith NYC wrote:

Ahhh alright. Well I do remember when Soapbox closed. I do NOT remember "The Pit" though...The Pit actually sounds like a place that would possible manage a pulse...Such a shame to see it go. (Although) I never witnessed it. Haha)

((Edit#3, if I miss click on this tiny touchlad one more time I think I will leave as is))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwIsAttR6-E

May 09 20 08:58 am Link

Photographer

S Jonas

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

In a way, MM has turned into Myspace. It used to the cool and at the top. Now, it's still there but not really thought of.

May 13 20 06:21 am Link

Model

Engel Schrei

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

*sticks head in, waves*

May 13 20 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Engel Schrei wrote:
*sticks head in, waves*

Dang, been  a while!!! Hope all is well!!!!

May 13 20 09:20 pm Link

Model

Keith NYC

Tampa, Florida, US

Engel Schrei wrote:
*sticks head in, waves*

Oh hello smile

May 14 20 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

*waves*

May 21 20 04:07 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

Paolo D Photography wrote:
*waves*

Dude, I miss you so much 😭😭

May 22 20 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Nicolette wrote:

Dude, I miss you so much 😭😭

I was thinking about you the other day!
hope you still have the same phone number. I'm gonna text you now.

May 23 20 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Zebadiah _MI

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Hope everyone is doing well.

May 24 20 03:36 pm Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

*waves*

May 25 20 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

I dropped my membership. Its pretty much useless at this point for me and the pandemic situation makes things worse. I was getting a lot of leads from IG and FB and even meet up but the pandemic put everything  on hold. I find MM is good for togs with deep pockets. Long gone are the days when I got contacted by a model.

May 29 20 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Maybe In a few more years MM’s refusal to update literally anything at all will make it hipster cool and ironically retro?

Jul 29 20 06:07 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Robb Mann wrote:
Maybe In a few more years MM’s refusal to update literally anything at all will make it hipster cool and ironically retro?

its science!!!

Jul 29 20 01:54 pm Link

Model

The Matthew Ross

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Precisely what I was thinking!
I joined MM in 2006 , I was 21 , a smartass , mostly posted from work .
The threads were Entertainment ... then I got a promotion on my job , more hours , yada-yada-yada

around 2009-2010 was quite a time, I remember making up stuff in threads JUST to piss people off, it worked.
& never got in the brig( or whatever it was called idk).

I remember the most epic threads with the cat memes ..that's how I knew it was feisty.

but I DID work with a few, since I'm in Oklahoma ( or as I call it Joke-Lahoma) I had to travel.

I visited LA  & worked with a few peeps, had a nice time.
Just got back from LA ,even during Covid its a nice place.

Jul 30 20 02:21 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

The Matthew Ross wrote:
Precisely what I was thinking!
I joined MM in 2006 , I was 21 , a smartass , mostly posted from work .
The threads were Entertainment ... then I got a promotion on my job , more hours , yada-yada-yada

around 2009-2010 was quite a time, I remember making up stuff in threads JUST to piss people off, it worked.
& never got in the brig( or whatever it was called idk).

I remember the most epic threads with the cat memes ..that's how I knew it was feisty.

but I DID work with a few, since I'm in Oklahoma ( or as I call it Joke-Lahoma) I had to travel.

I visited LA  & worked with a few peeps, had a nice time.
Just got back from LA ,even during Covid its a nice place.

I joined just a couple years after you, and a handful of years older.
those times were epic for sure!
many years ago one night in the unofficial webcam chatroom somehow a group of us decided to create a new genre of modeling with some made up name, and ambiguous details. our conspiracy included threads on the style and even casting calls. models who were in on it responded and left comments to try and lend credibility.
in the end it didnt catch on as a new fad, because everyone knew who the jokers were, but it was great fun to watch everyone figure it out. the webcam chat actually drove a lot of the forum activity.
over a decade later and im still making shit up in the offtopic and SF2 forums. although just to be strange, not to intentionally piss anyone off.

you're spot on remembering the cat memes too, 25+ page long caturday threads? ok!

that closeness that members felt with each other is sadly long gone

Jul 30 20 01:55 pm Link

Model

B Debauchery

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Oh once upon a time...

Sep 14 20 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Al_Vee Photography

Well, it's good to see a thread I started 2 years ago still exists...or is it?

Oct 31 20 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Al_Vee Photography

Robb Mann wrote:

Hahahaha

Oct 31 20 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

*pops head round the door, waves*

Dec 07 20 09:26 am Link