Forums > Model Colloquy > Dear traveling models.

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I think it would have a better impact if you took the time to read the photographer's profile prior
offering your services.....When I specifically mention that I am no longer in the position to offer any compensation,
Why contacting me?

Jul 21 18 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Gryph

Phoenix, Arizona, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
I think it would have a better impact if you took the time to read the photographer's profile prior
offering your services.....When I specifically mention that I am no longer in the position to offer any compensation,
Why contacting me?

Yeah I know it hurts; but if you think about it, the worst you can say is "no".

Coming here to the models forums to bitch about it isn't going to solve anything.

Jul 21 18 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Just say no when contacted.

Jul 22 18 12:39 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Circumstances change and your previous state of destitution might have suddenly changed. 
For example, you may have just received a call to send $299 so you can receive a $250,000 cashier’s check delivered today! LOL
And you haven’t yet updated your profile to reflect your new “reality.” 😉
That's just a ludicrous example of why there may be a method to the madness.

Models, when writing to people like him, please preface your offer/invitation/solicitation/email with something to that effect.
“Dear tog,
Your profile states that you no longer are able to raise the funds to perform shoots with top talent BUT nevertheless I write because I would like to work with a photographer of your caliber with a modest compensation package that is not out of line with what is UCR.

“If your stated constraints remain, please let me know and I will gracefully move on without prejudice.

“Respectfully,

Traveling model, on the road in ______.”

This is the way all models should write, right?!😉

Jul 22 18 07:35 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Regardless of how some may judge it, "cold calling" when traveling is always how I got the best work. For about every 15 people I'd email with travel information, one would get offended,  13 would never answer at all and one would end up booking me. One out of every 15-20 emails sent out is pretty good. That being said, I read every profile thoroughly and would not send out queries unless there were strong indicators the subject regularly photographed traveling models (such as seeing multiple familiar faces in their portfolios). Models regularly get messages from photographers seeking to be paid; we don't care. Or at least I don't. Whatever. Everyone has to make a living.

Jul 22 18 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Why contacting me?

Reply that you are no longer in the position to offer money as compensation, but since they took a moment to contact you, you assume they like your style (and yes I read your profile) and you offer images as your compensation.

Jul 22 18 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Photo Art by LJ

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I imagine it takes quite a bit of time for a traveling model to send messages, individually, to all the photographers in an area they are traveling to.

I imagine it would take significantly more time for them to read the entire profile of all photographers they message, prior to messaging them.

It takes only a second or two for you to click delete. No?

Jul 22 18 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Some models are willing to barter. If you happen to live in an area where she can book paying work with other photographers then a model might be willing to do a shoot with you in exchange for hosting.

Jul 23 18 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
.....When I specifically mention that I am no longer in the position to offer any compensation,
Why contacting me?

There still might be a bit of blood in that turnip.

Jul 23 18 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Why contacting me?

Try looking at it from this perspective.  Your work is good and, even though a traveling model is looking for paying jobs, she may also like your work, be willing to do a shorter shoot in exchange for lunch and images.  While she's on the road, having lunch provided one day saves her cash, she'll get great images and she gets to network with a talented photographer.  She'll appreciate open, honest communication in response to her offer.  The worse she can say is no and then it's her loss, not yours.  If she doesn't book a paid shoot during the time you're available, she'll have lost all around by not working with you.

We all hit low points in life.  Keep creating great work and being a good person.  Pride heals, don't sweat the cash issue, keep smiling.  You know, by checking into working with a traveling model on your terms, you may get a chance to work with the most dynamic model of your photography career.  You've nothing to lose.

Wishing you all the best.

Jul 23 18 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Mark Salo wrote:

There still might be a bit of blood in that turnip.

baahaa!

Jul 23 18 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Numbers game : cost/benefit analysis.  It’s more productive to quickly cut and paste the same message to everyone in an area than to read all relevant profiles.  If a model contacts you who clearly hasn’t read your profile, just ignore it.

Jul 23 18 07:46 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Why contacting me?

The same reason models who post on their profiles that they wont shoot trade still get contacted with offers for trade, or the models who post their rates still get lowballed, or the models who dont travel get offers from across the continent or....

There's always a chance you'll change your mind. It costs literally nothing to ask and if you werent going to work with them anyway, they havent hurt themselves by asking

Jul 25 18 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

OP: If you put a sign on your door
"Dont rob this house"
Do you really think a robbers are going to heed the warning ?
Nobody reads profiles

Jul 25 18 11:03 am Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
OP: If you put a sign on your door
"Dont rob this house"
Do you really think a robbers are going to heed the warning ?
Nobody reads profiles

I do, and judging from the number of people who message me about things I have written in my profile, I'd say at least some other people do too!

I think indiscriminant sales pitches are kind of just part of life.  Sure, a model could read your profile and not message you based on what it says.  Sure, they could also individually tailor a message saying, "I know you said you don't hire models, but I'm in your area in case anything has changed."  But not everyone is going to take that time...sending as many pitches as possible into the wind is a strategy to get more eyes on their work, and potentially more work.  I recently got a sales call for solar panels, when I don't own a house.  Yep, it was a bit irritating, but it happens.  Delete the message.  Go on with your day.

Aug 09 18 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Spicy Peach Photography

Macon, Georgia, US

As I've stated in a few other posts, models, photographers, MUAs, etc are people just like everyone else.  There are all different types and personalities and I'm learning from experience here on MM that a one size fits all approach is not the best approach. 

I do take the time to read profiles and take into consideration what a model writes as well as what's in her port before deciding to reach out for a casting.  I'm very particular in making my decision to message or not based on those factors.  I do understand that often there is ambiguity when doing my research, i.e., a model checking the box for "nude" but in the profile stating that they don't do nudes.  What to believe?  Well, I'll take a look at the portfolio and see if there are any nude images, the type of images, and how long ago they were posted.  In my message I might say something as follows:  "You state in your profile you don't shoot nudes but you have checked the box.  And there are a few artistic nudes in your port. I'm doing a shoot similar to the art images you have posted.  Are you intested...".  Nine times out of ten I'll get a response that no the don't shoot nude, or I'm very selective in shooting and only pose for artistic type of images.

I do cold call but with tailored messages to the particular model I'm seeking.  Part of my message is stock (copy/paste saves a bunch of typing), but part of my message is based on what I've read and seen on a model's profile.  And I have been cold called by traveling models here.  To me it's no different than the daily telemarketers that dial my cell.  I look at the number and if not recognized I ignore the call.  If the call is important they will leave a message.  If not they move on to the next customer.  No harm, no foul.

Aug 09 18 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Springfield Fotografiya

Springfield, Missouri, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
When I specifically mention that I am no longer in the position to offer any compensation,
Why contacting me?

There's a slim chance they might be open to negotiating other compensation besides a flat fee in cash paid at the time of the shoot.  For example, one model didn't want to do a TF shoot and I didn't want to pay up front.  The deal we worked out was that instead of a flat fee, I'd give her a 40% commission on any profits I earned from the sale of images from our shoot.  If either of us become famous or demand increases quite a bit, she might end up earning more than her desired fee over time.  But I was honest and humble enough to volunteer that this wasn't a guarantee of income from the shoot and that 40% of nothing is nothing.  Still, we had a good shoot and she was able to keep her point of pride in no longer doing TF shoots.

Aug 09 18 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Docta Shock Fotografix

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Another thing to remember is that profiles are not always continuously updated. The status or situation that the person was
experiencing when the profile was  initially written may have changed. It's only reasonable that traveling models contact as many photographers available in the area as they can. It's pretty easy to ignore or respond with a polite "No thank you".

Aug 10 18 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Why contacting me?

I agree.  On my profile I even state that they should not even bother contacting me unless they accept trade.  Sorry, I take the time to read a models profile before I send or don't send her a message, it's called being professional, and I expect the same from them.

Aug 10 18 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Out here in the vast wasteland called Los Angeles, there are probably as many photographers as there are ants at a picnic. You must have a pretty good reputation for them to look you up. Or maybe they're just blasting anybody along their travel route... I'm finding this longwinded discussion puzzling. I don't think most models would think twice about turning down jobs if they don't feel like it...but then I've never been turned      down    probably because I never cold call a model I don't know....which happens here almost 100% of the time... I think most models struggle at this. some have a day job..some models are like A listers   in high demand. most struggle to get even noticed...its a tough business

Aug 11 18 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Bruce

CLEARWATER BEACH, Florida, US

I used to ignore these messages because I could TELL they didn't even look at my portfolio.

Recently I've been guiding them to it, and since I offer a slightly different take on boudoir styled shoots, most actually agree to shoot TFP even though they claim to only do paid gigs.

Worth a shot.

Aug 15 18 11:51 am Link

Photographer

James William

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

At least they're contacting you .. most of the site is so dead not even the spam comes anymore big_smile

Aug 15 18 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

The truth about profiles ?
https://thedramaqueencantellstories.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/lies.jpg

Aug 15 18 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoACR

Los Angeles, California, US

It is just a cold call. Most of the traveling models do need the paid bookings to cover their expenses and maybe make some income. Just disregard and do not take it personally. Chances are the model will only be in your area for a limited time and are just maximizing their chances of getting booked.

Aug 21 18 11:19 pm Link