login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Is there an Ultimate Magazine Submission List ? Search   Reply
123last
Wardrobe Stylist
Pretty Deadly Stylz
Posts: 559
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Looking to widen my own list on magazine submissions.  Looking for LOTS more!

** There's been so much updates, and I try to add them, but its says its too much. SO I have posted them to my FB Page, I don't need you to like the page to read the info, its just there if you want to take the time:

What I have:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=467451047916

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_i … 1503962917

*someone flagged the S-Z section,... will go over it again soon see if I can get it back up.
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_i … 1503052917
Jun 08 10 09:49 am  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Pretty Deadly Stylz
Posts: 559
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Do other Stylists/ Make Up Hairstylists not do submission for shoots themselves? I do a lot of creative director type work and find that many photographer ask me where to submit things, or even ask me to go ahead and set that all up for them,....  does this happen with others?

Just curious.
Jun 08 10 08:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Diana
Posts: 2,372
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Here are two I can think of right off the bat:

http://fillermagazine.com/
http://www.spademagazine.ca/
Jun 08 10 10:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
A J T
Posts: 3,113
Brooklyn, New York, US


I've been doing a bit of work with Filler lately. They're quite good.
Jun 08 10 10:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
A J T
Posts: 3,113
Brooklyn, New York, US


OMG, Diana, just realized we're in the same issue! How cute! I did the hair for the Holly Miranda story.=P
Jun 08 10 10:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Diana
Posts: 2,372
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Alexander Tome wrote:
OMG, Diana, just realized we're in the same issue! How cute! I did the hair for the Holly Miranda story.=P

Nice!  If either of us was famous we could play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon! wink

Jun 09 10 06:09 am  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Pretty Deadly Stylz
Posts: 559
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Thanks very much! wink
Jun 09 10 09:40 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
M Ye
Posts: 716
New York, New York, US


Great thread.
Jun 09 10 06:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
tigerfist photography
Posts: 2,100
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Jun 10 10 12:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Pretty Deadly Stylz
Posts: 559
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Jun 10 10 06:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Pretty Deadly Stylz
Posts: 559
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Oops, some of those were already up! LOL,... oh well, I'll keep posting what I find though! wink
Jun 10 10 06:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sweet Light Studios
Posts: 80
South San Francisco, California, US


I must admit that I am new to doing magazine submissions. 
I would love to start getting some more tear sheets. 
Is there a resource, book, magazine article or just step by step instructions on how to do submissions somewhere. 
Or can someone just explane it to me?

Thanks in advance,
Robin
Jun 10 10 11:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Henry Westheim
Posts: 595
Taichung City, Taichung City, Taiwan


Sweet Light Studios wrote:
I must admit that I am new to doing magazine submissions. 
I would love to start getting some more tear sheets. 
Is there a resource, book, magazine article or just step by step instructions on how to do submissions somewhere. 
Or can someone just explane it to me?

Thanks in advance,
Robin

Hi Robin and everyone,

This is a great thread.  There a similar thread to this, so here's my copy and pasted response to that one, below.

1) Research, research and more research.  Spend hours and hours in bookstores looking through magazines and writing down the important information in their mastheads if my work fits that of the magazine.  Do the same searching publications on the internet.  Market lists can also be purchased from companies such as AdBase.

2) Once a list is compiled of publications / companies that I'd feel my work would match with I'd check their website for their submission guidelines.

3)  Follow each publications' guidelines to the 'T'.

4)  Follow through with each.


FWIW, when I started in this business I spent roughly 6 months researching and learning the business end of the photography industry before I made a single submission, before I sent a single e-mail or a single letter.  I selected 10 publications / companies I wanted to work with, sent them a creatively written cover letter with some sample 8" x 10" prints of my work.  Within 1 month I heard back from all 10 of these and within the next two months I landed my first two paid assignments.

It's a full-time job in itself, but it can be extremely fun and rewarding.  I think the most important for me was the initial research, joining of professional trade organizations, and educating myself about the industry.

Good luck!

Jun 10 10 11:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
tigerfist photography
Posts: 2,100
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Pretty Deadly Stylz wrote:
Oh Some New ones there! Thanks!

ALSO:
UCE
http://www.ucemag.com/

Idoll Magazine
http://idollmag.com/

BLU Magazine
http://www.blu-magazine.com/site/

Fashion Berry
http://www.fashionberry.com/contact.html

Glossy Mag
http://glossy-mag.com/

BG Magazine
http://www.bgmagazine.com.ec/home.html

ooh thank you!

Jun 11 10 12:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Christie Gabriel
Posts: 2,803
Chicago, Illinois, US


Yep, I was just going to mention UCE and Glossy.
Jun 11 10 12:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Pretty Deadly Stylz
Posts: 559
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


All great advice, Yes. I too work on compiling lists of who I want to work with, what I want to work on, where I want my work to be showcased etc.

Also how does my work fit within the magazines that I want to involved with?

Ask yourself, is your work up to par? Etc.

Keep asking questions, and keep looking for answers. I read a lot, pick up magazines and books that inspire me, and I keep asking questions.

If I find more links I'll post them, and ask the rest of you to do so too.
Jun 11 10 02:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
tigerfist photography
Posts: 2,100
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


top!

facebook is awesome for online mags

Block
http://www.theblock-mag.com/

Preen
http://www.theblock-mag.com/

Dujour
http://dujourmag.com/
Jun 22 10 12:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Maee Kroft
Posts: 283
Los Angeles, California, US


Pretty Deadly Stylz wrote:
Looking to widen my own list on magazine submissions.  Looking for LOTS more!

What I have:



Everything above must be included in the submission. Submissions not following these guidelines will be rejected without notice, so if you don’t hear back from us you probably didn’t follow the directions, directly as directed.

email submissions to: photos@chaos-mag.com

Submission Deadlines:
Autumn: July 1st
Winter: October 1st
Spring: February 1st
Summer: April 1st (not a joke, seriously)

Haha awee, Message me Tash, I have a huge list.

Dont forget mine!!

T&M Magazine
www.tandmmag.com
Print and online _ Toronto
Email submissions to info@tandmmag.com
Deadlines and information are provided on the site!

Jun 23 10 06:54 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Olivia Clee
Posts: 52
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


Are there any in Australia? Or doesn't it really matter whether its in your own country or not?
Jun 23 10 07:25 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
MelodyMoher
Posts: 1,394
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, US


Maee Kroft wrote:

Haha awee, Message me Tash, I have a huge list.

Dont forget mine!!

T&M Magazine
www.tandmmag.com
Print and online _ Toronto
Email submissions to Submissions@tandmmag.com
Deadlines and information are provided on the site!

cant you post it here?? smile

Jun 23 10 07:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Neil Snape
Posts: 9,470
Paris, Île-de-France, France


Pretty Deadly Stylz wrote:
Do other Stylists/ Make Up Hairstylists not do submission for shoots themselves? I do a lot of creative director type work and find that many photographer ask me where to submit things, or even ask me to go ahead and set that all up for them,....  does this happen with others?

Just curious.

Glad you posted this. Thank you , it's much appreciated.

Submissions are new to me.

So far I've had zero replies.

Some of the make up , stylists have suggested certain magazines. Finally when you do get through to a mail box that is not full, and get in touch with them they say they don't accept submissions.

I tried with 125 magazine, it took many email mail sends to get through (first three or so bounced, mail box over full)

Tatler UK same thing. Some email addresses are 404 , not found.  No one replies.

Just tried Zink. No reply yet if they do accept submissions. Nothing saying so on their site (confusing as is it NY or Toronto?)

I had no idea Toronto Life Fashion is now a submission mag. I worked for them 10 years ago, when it was a fairly good magazine.

Funny I love photography but don't care much for the current state of being a photographer>

Jun 23 10 07:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Neil Snape
Posts: 9,470
Paris, Île-de-France, France


Maee Kroft wrote:
Haha awee, Message me Tash, I have a huge list.

Dont forget mine!!

T&M Magazine
www.tandmmag.com
Print and online _ Toronto
Email submissions to Submissions@tandmmag.com
Deadlines and information are provided on the site!

I don't know if it's just me but your link (url) does not open a page.

Edit. Okay it did now on the third try.  Looks nice.

Jun 23 10 08:04 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Maee Kroft
Posts: 283
Los Angeles, California, US


MelodyMoher wrote:

cant you post it here?? smile

Yeah for sure, I'm out of town at the moment, I'll post it when i get home tomorow! big_smile

Jun 23 10 10:22 am  Link  Quote 
Model
StyleSample
Posts: 6
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


I've been considering accepting submissions for my online/print magazine (http://stylesamplemag.com), and am curious about what photographers look for in magazines they'd like to be featured in--tear sheets? Recognition? A chance to show off their creativity?

I'd love to include more editorial photography as most of my readers are very much into fashion, but am still trying to figure out the best way to request submissions. Any feedback/ideas?
Jun 24 10 03:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Cassie Lyons MUAH
Posts: 211
Los Angeles, California, US


bump i love this thread and id love to hear some more advice on this topic!
Jul 01 10 05:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Danielle Hampton
Posts: 1,558
Lithgow, New South Wales, Australia


Asia Photo Connection wrote:
Hi Robin and everyone,

This is a great thread.  There a similar thread to this, so here's my copy and pasted response to that one, below.

1) Research, research and more research.  Spend hours and hours in bookstores looking through magazines and writing down the important information in their mastheads if my work fits that of the magazine.  Do the same searching publications on the internet.  Market lists can also be purchased from companies such as AdBase.

2) Once a list is compiled of publications / companies that I'd feel my work would match with I'd check their website for their submission guidelines.

3)  Follow each publications' guidelines to the 'T'.

4)  Follow through with each.


FWIW, when I started in this business I spent roughly 6 months researching and learning the business end of the photography industry before I made a single submission, before I sent a single e-mail or a single letter.  I selected 10 publications / companies I wanted to work with, sent them a creatively written cover letter with some sample 8" x 10" prints of my work.  Within 1 month I heard back from all 10 of these and within the next two months I landed my first two paid assignments.

It's a full-time job in itself, but it can be extremely fun and rewarding.  I think the most important for me was the initial research, joining of professional trade organizations, and educating myself about the industry.

Good luck!

Great advice, thanks!

Jul 01 10 05:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NatalieStarr
Posts: 1
Denver, Colorado, US


Thank you for this!
Jan 05 11 08:50 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Davis W
Posts: 1,272
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Bump

An incredibly helpful thread. Ty OP.
Jan 05 11 10:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kristina Vassilieva
Posts: 1,901
London, England, United Kingdom


Feb 26 11 05:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mudita Aeron
Posts: 2
London, England, United Kingdom


thank you all for this thread!
Mar 13 11 06:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mudita Aeron
Posts: 2
London, England, United Kingdom


Mar 13 11 06:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
The Glam Queen
Posts: 8
Roselle, New Jersey, US


This is very interesting, I just learned alot! My brain hurts! hahaha
Mar 13 11 07:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
LizW_Makeup
Posts: 1,621
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Mar 14 11 07:45 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Diana
Posts: 2,372
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


http://www.bambimagazine.com might be accepting submissions
Mar 14 11 08:41 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
LizW_Makeup
Posts: 1,621
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Mar 14 11 09:23 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
LizW_Makeup
Posts: 1,621
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Mar 14 11 09:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Nardip
Posts: 12
London, England, United Kingdom


May 12 11 09:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Alice Luker Photography
Posts: 4
London, England, United Kingdom


So useful, thanks! I will be sure to post any I find out about smile
May 22 11 05:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Retouch Artistry
Posts: 459
Tampa, Florida, US


Very useful thread. Thank you.
May 22 11 07:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Vanessa Dawn- Jhaesayte
Posts: 2,567
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Jun 01 11 02:11 pm  Link  Quote 
123last   Search   Reply