login info join!
Forums > Critique > Opinions Offered Search   Reply
1234last
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


I'm back! smile

Do you have a question you wish someone would answer honestly, a new image you want an opinion on, or do you just want a full critique of your portfolio or bio?

You tell me what you want, how detailed you want it, and how harshly you like your truth delivered. I will answer or critique as you request, but may throw in a few side comments if something catches my eye.

I reply to this thread in sporadic bursts, so please be aware that there may be a wait.

llama
Mar 27 12 06:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rik Williams
Posts: 3,373
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


Eleanor R wrote:
Do you have a question you wish someone would answer honestly, a new image you want an opinion on, or do you just want a full critique of your portfolio or bio?

You tell me what you want, how detailed you want it, and how harshly you like your truth delivered. I will answer or critique as you request, but may throw in a few side comments if something catches my eye.

llama

Ok cool
Eleanor, I'm curious as to what you think is my better work in both nude and non-nude sections and also if you think my work is average, above average or perhaps lacking in some regard.
Thank you

Mar 27 12 06:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


Rik Image wrote:
Ok cool
Eleanor, I'm curious as to what you think is my better work in both nude and non-nude sections and also if you think my work is average, above average or perhaps lacking in some regard.
Thank you

Ooh. I know you. smile

I am a big fan of your work that leans towards fashion nudes.
My favorites in the nude section:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25613225 18+
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110804/06/4e3a9c4120351_m.jpg
My favorites in the clothed section:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111217/01/4eec62e976dba_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111101/00/4eafa18c46e1f_m.jpg

I chose those because I love your use of darker and dramatic lighting in them, and they show both you and your models off beautifully. Looking at your portfolio I feel like the lighting you use compliments skin tones better than it does clothes. Lighting a nude properly is hard, so I like that you do it so well. As someone biased slightly towards nudes, I would love to see you do more work in this vein.

Keeping in mind that I'm not entirely sure what average is, I'm going to go ahead and say slightly above average. I love your lighting and the styling in the shots above and many in your portfolio, but there are some images that I feel drag your portfolio down some. If you want me to go into more detail, let me know.

Mar 27 12 06:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Axioma
Posts: 6,776
Gent, East Flanders, Belgium


anything you feel would complete my book?
Mar 27 12 06:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


Mini_ wrote:
anything you feel would complete my book?

Well, I hope you have figured out by now how much I love your work.

These:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111220/14/4ef108ef43da7_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/081028/15/4907621e0a485_m.jpg
Make me very happy, and intensely jealous.

Your book is pretty damn awesome as it stands.

However, I would love to see more color, and more outdoor work. Do more whimsical stuff like this: http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … #25123751, ask Neil to do some of his amazing color filled photos with you, or do some outdoor figure nudes.

If you're up for a bit more adventure, I would love to see what you could do with underwater or shibari. smile

Mar 27 12 07:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Heidy Jane
Posts: 103
Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands


I would like to some feedback on my portfolio smile  What should I delete / keep.  What should I add?  You can be as harsh as you need, as long as you are honest smile
Mar 27 12 07:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rik Williams
Posts: 3,373
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


Eleanor R wrote:

Ooh. I know you. smile

I am a big fan of your work that leans towards fashion nudes.
My favorites in the nude section:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25613225 18+
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110804/06/4e3a9c4120351_m.jpg
My favorites in the clothed section:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111217/01/4eec62e976dba_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111101/00/4eafa18c46e1f_m.jpg

I chose those because I love your use of darker and dramatic lighting in them, and they show both you and your models off beautifully. Looking at your portfolio I feel like the lighting you use compliments skin tones better than it does clothes. Lighting a nude properly is hard, so I like that you do it so well. As someone biased slightly towards nudes, I would love to see you do more work in this vein.

Keeping in mind that I'm not entirely sure what average is, I'm going to go ahead and say slightly above average. I love your lighting and the styling in the shots above and many in your portfolio, but there are some images that I feel drag your portfolio down some. If you want me to go into more detail, let me know.

Why thank you Eleanor smile
I appreciate the detail you have included and would love to know what you feel drags my portfolio down.

Mar 27 12 07:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
dd photography
Posts: 902
San Diego, California, US


What do you think motivates me to shoot? Based on what you see here.
Mar 27 12 07:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeffrey M Fletcher
Posts: 4,344
Asheville, North Carolina, US


I'd like to hear what you think of my work. Please feel free with whatever comes to mind.
Mar 27 12 07:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


Heidy Jane wrote:
I would like to some feedback on my portfolio smile  What should I delete / keep.  What should I add?  You can be as harsh as you need, as long as you are honest smile

First, are you 18 or 19? You have both listed.

I'm seeing you listed as wanting to do editorial, fashion, glamour, and lingerie, among other things. If you cut your book down to only your strongest, it will look good for fashion. If you want to pursue glamour and lingerie, I recommend finding a good photographer to shoot you in lingerie.

I like this as your avatar:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111208/16/4ee154de86fe3_m.jpg

and would also keep
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111128/12/4ed3f509c9071_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/091230/12/4b3bb8b55e2ec_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100131/11/4b65ddd9747e0_m.jpg
and maybe this, though it could do without the blur:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100102/11/4b3f9f3531865_m.jpg

Find some photographers who do work that you aspire to, and ask if they will trade with you. The worst they can do is say no, and some will probably say yes. You show a good ability to pose, and have striking eyes. I don't anticipate you having problems finding photographers. Just make sure that you work with photgraphers who will benefit your portfolio.

Also, consider getting a MUA and hairstylist onboard and doing some really crazy and colorful concepts. Some ideas:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 4#27143764
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110411/23/4da3f66a611e8_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090625/06/4a43754aaf877_m.jpg

Mar 27 12 07:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
cinema photography
Posts: 4,391
Mission Viejo, California, US


Eleanor R wrote:
Do you have a question you wish someone would answer honestly, a new image you want an opinion on, or do you just want a full critique of your portfolio or bio?

You tell me what you want, how detailed you want it, and how harshly you like your truth delivered. I will answer or critique as you request, but may throw in a few side comments if something catches my eye.

llama

Honestly, have a look and the port and just tell me what you see and how you react and what you dont like and what you like.

I dig honesty. smile

Mar 27 12 08:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Miss Bond
Posts: 1,488
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


yes plz=))) critique=)
Mar 27 12 08:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Mea Culpa
Posts: 353
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia


I would love a critique of my port and I'm sure my bio could use a spruce up. As harsh as you'd like. smile
Mar 27 12 08:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


dd photography wrote:
What do you think motivates me to shoot? Based on what you see here.

*hoping this isn't a trick question*

Perhaps I am too analytical when I wonder if you mean what I see here, in the thread, namely your avatar, or what I see in your portfolio, but here is an answer to both. lol

Avatar: It's a hard call just from one thumbnail. There is definitely an indication of lighting elevating you above GWC. It suggests that your chosen genre is glamour, and there is definitely an emphasis on the sexy look and cleavage in this image. I see a possibility that your motivation is the beautiful women you get to shoot, but also just enough lighting to wonder if you do commercial or fashion work as well.

Portfolio:
You have an interesting port here. I see a lot of sex appeal shot in a very down to earth way. You connect with your models, and it shows. From this, I would say that while you love or are at least interested in the technical side of photography, your motivation to shoot what you do stems from an appreciation of beauty, both outer and inner. I also get the feeling that you are motivated by a passion to learn and become the best you can at this, but I can't tell you where that comes from. Something about your portfolio feels like you have done a lot of growing in the past few months. I suspect I may have seen your portfolio before and my subconscious is remembering images. tongue

I really love these:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#24816080 18+
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120314/00/4f60444c8194b_m.jpg

Mar 28 12 10:55 am  Link  Quote 
Model
LC Mtl
Posts: 3,599
Montreal, Quebec, Canada


Oh wow, you have such a pretty portfolio!

I know I'm not really in the same field as you, but I would like to know what you think of my portfolio and what could make it more appealing. Because of your great sense of aesthetic I feel like your opinion could be very useful.

Here are more details : I have a very strong look and marketing me can be hard sometimes because of it (editorial features with not so editorial body lol) so I wonder what could make it all more accessible to clients/people.

Also, if you see any pictures in my MM port that you feel are not good enough, feel free to tell me : I don't know what to delete!

Thank you very much smile

X.

LC
Mar 28 12 11:08 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
I'd like to hear what you think of my work. Please feel free with whatever comes to mind.

Your work has been an enigma to me for quite a while. It is dark and surreal, and obviously about eroticism. What confuses me is why it doesn't speak more to me. I like it, but I want to love it: for the method of reusing film you describe in your bio, for the exploration of the erotic, and for the deeper intent behind the work.
I am actually sad that I don't feel more when I view your portfolio. I don't dislike it, but I get the feeling that your work is incredibly close to evoking the reaction that we both want it to, and falls short for some reason.
To me, there is a lack of connection. They are fascinating images, but I feel that in most there is nothing to draw me in and make me a part of them. I want to connect, but nothing invites me to do so.
These are my favorites, and the most successful at drawing me in:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#26876666
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111218/08/4eee15a851059_m.jpg

Mar 28 12 11:09 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,409
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


Thoughts on my photos?
Mar 28 12 11:12 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Colleen12589
Posts: 127
Chicago, Illinois, US


I would love a critique on my port and what you think I should add, what you think I could improve on, and what you think my focus as a model should be. And I can take harsh, just not mean for no reason smile Thanks in advance!
Mar 28 12 11:22 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


cinema photography wrote:

Honestly, have a look and the port and just tell me what you see and how you react and what you dont like and what you like.

I dig honesty. smile

I remember first seeing you in the critique forum, asking for opinions on this image:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110307/14/4d7555f6621c4_m.jpg
I still have a soft spot for it. smile

I feel like I am not in a space to critique you, because you do something very different from just photography. I can look at a photograph and see distractions and negative space, and tell you what I do and don't like. But you take photographs and turn them into pieces of art, to the point where I feel that they are no longer photographs, but something more akin to paintings.

Take these, for example:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120310/19/4f5c1c37c949f_m.jpg
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27502850
As a photograph I would hate these, and I expected to when I opened the thumbnails. I don't like digital manipulation that much. I love these. They don't feel like manipulated photographs to me. They feel like artwork.
(My only complaint is the flowers around your Venus seem a little too bright. In the original the were a very delicate light pink, and yours seem a bit overpowering to me.)

What I am trying to say is that you manage to make something wonderful where most would turn out horribly cliche and unattractive images. Your pin-up is delightful, and I love this:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110203/09/4d4ae4d95b719_m.jpg

So, please, keep doing what you do, and striving to make it better, because I really love following your work.

Mar 28 12 11:24 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


Miss Bond wrote:
yes plz=))) critique=)

Wow. You are versatile. And gorgeous.

You definitely seem to know what you are doing pose wise. I feel that the following photos aren't as flattering as the rest, and I think you would have a stronger port without them:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120323/15/4f6cfe892a0d2_m.jpg
I am not a fan of your expression here, and both the outfit and the cropping are unflattering to you.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120310/14/4f5bd721e06ad_m.jpg
This just doesn't match the quality of the rest of your portfolio.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100705/17/4c3277727b248_m.jpg
The cropping off of part of your hand bugs me. It's a good image, but I'm not sure you need it.

However, please keep in mind that I really know nothing about your genre and don't know what you need in your book. Sorry, I know this isn't a very helpful critique for you.

I really love these:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110216/15/4d5c593193854_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110905/18/4e6579672829a_m.jpg

Mar 28 12 11:34 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


Mea Culpa wrote:
I would love a critique of my port and I'm sure my bio could use a spruce up. As harsh as you'd like. smile

When I grow up I wanna be like you. Seriously. I found you a couple months ago and can't stop stalking your port. You're linked above too ^ .

Looking at your portfolio, I see a lot of very beautiful, surreal, and safe work. You are crazy talented, but I feel like you lose yourself a little to the art in your portfolio. Opening your credited work I see an explosion of vibrancy and emotion.
I want to see more work like this:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 9#18556859 18+
It's raw, and emotional, and it's not safe. But it looks fun.
If I am telling you that I want to see more of a shot you absolutely hated, sorry! I just want to see more of who you are in your work. You could just be very surreal and safe, but I have a hunch that you aren't.

I feel like you can take anything and make it crazy beautiful. I want to see more examples of you doing just that. smile

Mar 28 12 12:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


LC Mtl wrote:
Oh wow, you have such a pretty portfolio!

I know I'm not really in the same field as you, but I would like to know what you think of my portfolio and what could make it more appealing. Because of your great sense of aesthetic I feel like your opinion could be very useful.

Here are more details : I have a very strong look and marketing me can be hard sometimes because of it (editorial features with not so editorial body lol) so I wonder what could make it all more accessible to clients/people.

Also, if you see any pictures in my MM port that you feel are not good enough, feel free to tell me : I don't know what to delete!

Thank you very much smile

X.

LC

I love your look! I would love to see you do more beauty:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/091115/11/4b00529006b7b_m.jpg

Along with that, my favorites in your portfolio are:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110806/08/4e3d5dcb32a6e_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110401/15/4d9657833511e_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110304/16/4d717fb0ea2ef_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110518/19/4dd47f8cf1172_m.jpg

Keeping quality over quantity in mind, I feel like you could have a strong portfolio with those. However, realizing that you probably want to show more than that, I would keep these as well:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#27721146
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#27365870
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 5#22534115
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 5#27721125
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 5#27634715
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 4#24335064
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 2#27349872

Those 12 will show off your range and abilities very well. I would seriously consider cutting your port back to that, or at least your strongest 15 or 20.

What I feel definitely needs to go:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120305/21/4f559a55cefed_m.jpg
It's not about you, and, sorry, but I'm not even sure which one you are.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110401/15/4d9658551e8cd_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111107/17/4eb883915b634_m.jpg
Neither of these are flattering at all.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/101130/17/4cf5a2852441a_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110924/08/4e7df9a39dfe3_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111219/19/4eeffb4022d7a_m.jpg
I don't think these show you off near as well as the rest of your portfolio.

I also don't feel that the runway photos are beneficial to your portfolio, but perhaps they are necessary for your genre?

Mar 28 12 12:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


Rik Image wrote:
Why thank you Eleanor smile
I appreciate the detail you have included and would love to know what you feel drags my portfolio down.

Well, I am curious to know why you have a folder labeled old stuff with only two images that could easily be integrated into the rest of your portfolio. I  like this:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120213/16/4f39ae3e5e1df_m.jpg

These two:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110703/05/4e105c82ebf69_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090323/20/49c850c0c7895_m.jpg
Should not both be in your portfolio. I like the first better myself.

Photos I feel are a lesser quality than the rest:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120315/00/4f619aab81f40_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110214/21/4d5a0def9c1cf_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120316/20/4f63feeeec2ea_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110819/08/4e4e83f024bba_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110703/05/4e105be3e8bd4_m.jpg
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27109716 18+

Mar 28 12 12:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
LC Mtl
Posts: 3,599
Montreal, Quebec, Canada


Eleanor R wrote:

I love your look! I would love to see you do more beauty:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/091115/11/4b00529006b7b_m.jpg

Along with that, my favorites in your portfolio are:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110806/08/4e3d5dcb32a6e_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110401/15/4d9657833511e_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110304/16/4d717fb0ea2ef_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110518/19/4dd47f8cf1172_m.jpg

Keeping quality over quantity in mind, I feel like you could have a strong portfolio with those. However, realizing that you probably want to show more than that, I would keep these as well:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#27721146
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#27365870
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 5#22534115
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 5#27721125
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 5#27634715
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 4#24335064
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 2#27349872

Those 12 will show off your range and abilities very well. I would seriously consider cutting your port back to that, or at least your strongest 15 or 20.

What I feel definitely needs to go:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120305/21/4f559a55cefed_m.jpg
It's not about you, and, sorry, but I'm not even sure which one you are.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110401/15/4d9658551e8cd_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111107/17/4eb883915b634_m.jpg
Neither of these are flattering at all.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/101130/17/4cf5a2852441a_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110924/08/4e7df9a39dfe3_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111219/19/4eeffb4022d7a_m.jpg
I don't think these show you off near as well as the rest of your portfolio.

I also don't feel that the runway photos are beneficial to your portfolio, but perhaps they are necessary for your genre?

Thank you for your detailed critique. I will absolutely consider your choices and I'm gonna trim down my port.

As for the runway photos, I have put them to showcase that I did the MFW so potential clients know that I know how to walk (lol). Maybe I should only keep one?

Mar 28 12 12:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rich Olson
Posts: 83
DENVILLE, New Jersey, US


Would appreciate honest critique.  What's good, what's bad, what's lacking. And thanks for your time.
Mar 28 12 01:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


Dan K Photography wrote:
Thoughts on my photos?

Your studio work is far stronger than your outdoor work. The last four photos in your portfolio look like they were taken by someone else. However I really like the feel of them, and would like to see you progress it to the quality of your studio shots.

I have seen a lot of people saying they don't like this, but I do:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120109/12/4f0b5170708ae_m.jpg
I preferred that or this:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120324/14/4f6e3a94bc986_m.jpg
as avatars.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120327/07/4f71ca54607c8_m.jpg
This is pretty, but I don't feel that it is as strong as some of your other studio work, and it definitely doesn't look as good as an avatar.

As much as I normally urge people towards nudes, I would love to see more like this from you:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111123/11/4ecd49f01fe3b_m.jpg

However, try to stay away from posting images where the models head is at an awkward angle:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120301/14/4f4ffb8d848f9_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120226/14/4f4ab6b764e16_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120310/14/4f5bd108d4334_m.jpg
As a model, I would be wary to work trade with you because of those three.

Mar 28 12 01:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


Colleen12589 wrote:
I would love a critique on my port and what you think I should add, what you think I could improve on, and what you think my focus as a model should be. And I can take harsh, just not mean for no reason smile Thanks in advance!

You do not look 32!

First, you checked no nudes. However, you have a bodyscape in your portfolio:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 2#27428662
It's beautiful, but it will confuse people. You might want to put something simple in your bio detailing your limits on this, such as the following.
"I am not currently willing to shoot full nudity. However, I am happy to consider topless and implied work on a case by case basis."

Now, on to the photos:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 1#27729621 (Not sure why this is marked M)
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120323/12/4f6cd1c0c2535_m.jpg
The bottom photo in the series is cropped from the full body. Perhaps you could ask the photographer to take it out and make the series a diptych? Also, in the full length, there is a bruise on your hip. It doesn't ruin the photo, but it's good to learn to notice things like that so you can request that they be taken out in the final version. However, I love the full body image, and feel that it is a good look for you. I would pursue more like that.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120328/11/4f7355d48dc91_m.jpg
This doesn't help your portfolio, in my opinion. It looks like a collection of O faces, and it may lead to offers of work you don't want.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120304/22/4f5463bbd9ff5_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120204/12/4f2d9adc2b3b9_m.jpg
You should not have two photos with such similar looks in your portfolio. I would keep the second.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120228/14/4f4d4e703c949_m.jpg
This is very cool. Definitely do more like this. I would strongly urge you to consider artistic nudes, but if not, please continue to do figurative work like this and draw inspiration from figure nude poses. I would love to see you do anything like these:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/4952105 18+
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20734574 18+
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/8860115 18+
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/081109/02/49169503a8ee2_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100213/13/4b7716301f2cd_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100628/04/4c2882a47c36e_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110204/15/4d4c8b6442cc8_m.jpg
Make use of that amazing figure!

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120228/08/4f4cfc6aade9b_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120228/08/4f4cfbda020a7_m.jpg
These don't show you very well, and I think could easily be taken from your portfolio without harming it.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120227/06/4f4b8edaa27ca_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120213/08/4f393c08f1723_m.jpg
These are beautiful portraits, keep them!

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120213/08/4f393c299bb14_m.jpg
You have better quality than this in your port. I might keep this to show your smile, but replace it soon.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120213/08/4f393b3f7a261_m.jpg
You don't need this.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120204/12/4f2d9b36b6022_m.jpg
I am not crazy about the image, but I like the way it portrays you. It's a good one to keep to show your range for now.


You definitely have potential to do very well at this. I think just narrowing down your portfolio will help a lot. Keep working with better photographers, put only the very best in your portfolio, and continually replace photos as you get better.
Some things to work on as a new model:
-You already seem to have emoting down, that's great! Make sure to keep practicing though.
-Find poses that inspire you and practice in front of a mirror. Figure out which angles flatter you and which don't.
-Pay attention to your hands. Don't make claws. Keep them graceful. They can make or break a photo.
-Learn to identify what makes a good photo and what doesn't. When looking for your portfolio, you need to be able to spot technical issues that will turn people off of the photo, even if you look good in it. At the beginning it's ok to have photos where people think "It's a shame he cut her hand off", but once you get more experience you want to show photographers that you aren't going to post their worst photos from the shoot if they work with you, just because you like the way your stomach looked.

Hey, wait a sec. Where's your avatar in your portfolio?! It looks like a strong image. Put it back!

Mar 28 12 01:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


rich olson wrote:
Would appreciate honest critique.  What's good, what's bad, what's lacking. And thanks for your time.

First, you shouldn't have 68 photos. Cull it down to what you feel is your absolute best twenty or so. It actually really helps people critique you, as well as letting you present a better portfolio.

This is probably your best lit nude:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26815144 18+
But you chopped off her elbows!

You chop off body parts a lot, mainly fingers, hands, and elbows:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26941962 18+
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/18617238 18+
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25907323 18+
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25907859 18+
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110624/17/4e052bd894f4c_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111022/08/4ea2de03037a9_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111121/00/4eca0b5f2e023_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120202/10/4f2ada086284f_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111120/22/4ec9ed144c5fb_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100718/08/4c431e24f2f41_m.jpg

I think if you start by paying attention to that, you will already be able to improve. Additionally, start to really pay attention to lighting. I would also suggest not doing anything but basic Photoshop for a while. No selective coloring or blurs until you figure out how to make an image stand on it's own without them. These don't help you at all:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27315526
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27302680
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26815208 18+

This is my favorite:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/18621482 18+

Mar 28 12 02:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Pieter Vandeur
Posts: 1,298
Brussels, Brussels, Belgium


A harsh, direct impression on my port.  Maybe especially what to ditch as I feel my port is becoming too large (and I seem to be unable to choose what to remove myself... :-) )

Thanks in advance!
Mar 28 12 02:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Alexander Long
Posts: 173
Leicester, England, United Kingdom


Just an honest critique on my work would be great, and would my portfolio benefit from an untouched headshot so people know what I currently look like? also what photo should be my avatar?

Thank you big_smile
Mar 28 12 02:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DAN CRUIKSHANK
Posts: 1,786
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Brutally honest full port/profile critique please smile I have no feelings so you don't have to worry about hurting them!
Mar 28 12 02:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


Pieter Vandeur wrote:
A harsh, direct impression on my port.  Maybe especially what to ditch as I feel my port is becoming too large (and I seem to be unable to choose what to remove myself... :-) )

Thanks in advance!

(Before I do this, let me just say how hard it is to be harsh to you.)

My first impression is that you have too many photos. Your portfolio will definitely look better narrowed down. You have a lot of images that look like this:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120323/23/4f6d6f8403a7f_m.jpg
and not enough color. Either mix it up more, or make them all like that. Or use folders, though I don't much like those. But having both in your port is weird.

Do more like these:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120324/00/4f6d71c7295c7_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120217/00/4f3e160155f77_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120323/23/4f6d6e6e17115_m.jpg
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#27677893 18+
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#26648670 18+

Stop using your models as hangers:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120323/23/4f6d6f3cea125_m.jpg
Breaking their necks:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120306/17/4f56bcfe17017_m.jpg
Randomly chopping off their body parts:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111216/23/4eec424f4e173_m.jpg
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#26967036
Turning them green for fun:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120213/10/4f395308a7e06_m.jpg
And putting them in cages:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100719/15/4c44ceb0d2d23_m.jpg

And, I'm sorry, but what the fuck is this?
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120324/00/4f6d71cab02ca_m.jpg

You know you're good. Now narrow your portfolio down to the images that really show that.

Mar 28 12 02:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


Alexander Long wrote:
Just an honest critique on my work would be great, and would my portfolio benefit from an untouched headshot so people know what I currently look like? also what photo should be my avatar?

Thank you big_smile

You have some great stuff, and some stuff you should really get rid of.
Keep:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120101/12/4f00bc3dea23b_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111218/10/4eee30de23e4f_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110829/12/4e5be7f2c64c5_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110814/04/4e47b0503049e_m.jpg

Get rid of:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110813/14/4e46ec438520a_m.jpg
(You have a tree growing out of your head)
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110627/16/4e0913b359147_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110701/06/4e0dc4e26cee1_m.jpg

I'm assuming you look how your photos make you look, and we can see your face clearly. If you're worried about, get a good photographer to take a simple headshot.

My vote for avatar:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110829/12/4e5be7f2c64c5_m.jpg

Mar 28 12 03:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


CRUIKSHANK PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Brutally honest full port/profile critique please smile I have no feelings so you don't have to worry about hurting them!

Your profile tells us everything we need to know. smile

I really like your top row, especially this:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120324/20/4f6e8fefb8d89_m.jpg
But I don't think you need all four!

You don't need both of these:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120317/16/4f6524df4b2a6_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120315/20/4f62af59086ec_m.jpg
Her hand is weird in the second and you cut off the top of her head, so I would keep the first.

Your portraits and vintage are beautiful, particularly these:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120305/18/4f55774a87544_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120323/18/4f6d29255bc13_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120311/19/4f5d5b92129fc_m.jpg

These are ok, but could easily be replaced as you do better work:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120220/19/4f43136f0c38e_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120219/20/4f41c61b7c079_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120304/22/4f546442d3f0c_m.jpg

I don't think you need the last two rows at all, with the exception of maybe these:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120219/21/4f41dcb335954_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111023/20/4ea4e15bac68c_m.jpg

These don't benefit your portfolio at all:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120323/18/4f6d29111e0f4_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120321/19/4f6a94cb27d9f_m.jpg

Mar 28 12 03:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
a raw muse
Posts: 3,104
Dighton, Massachusetts, US


yikes

Hey have at it big_smile
Mar 28 12 03:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeffrey M Fletcher
Posts: 4,344
Asheville, North Carolina, US


Eleanor R wrote:

Your work has been an enigma to me for quite a while. It is dark and surreal, and obviously about eroticism. What confuses me is why it doesn't speak more to me. I like it, but I want to love it: for the method of reusing film you describe in your bio, for the exploration of the erotic, and for the deeper intent behind the work.
I am actually sad that I don't feel more when I view your portfolio. I don't dislike it, but I get the feeling that your work is incredibly close to evoking the reaction that we both want it to, and falls short for some reason.
To me, there is a lack of connection. They are fascinating images, but I feel that in most there is nothing to draw me in and make me a part of them. I want to connect, but nothing invites me to do so.
These are my favorites, and the most successful at drawing me in:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#26876666
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111218/08/4eee15a851059_m.jpg

It's true, there's a removed quality in my work. I think it is a bit of defensiveness: the work is about views and feelings that are personal enough that I often want a shield or some breathing room.

The two images you picked are moving in the direction of portraits, something that I've been focusing on more during this period. This causes me some unease and trepidation, so I make sure I do dome of them at each shoot now.

Thanks for the honesty and perception, it's helpful for me to hear this.

Mar 28 12 04:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
RTE Photography
Posts: 1,005
NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US


I would like a model's opinion of my work. Be as frank as you want, I can take it.

Tommy
Mar 28 12 04:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


A Raw Muse wrote:
yikes

Hey have at it big_smile

You're the awesomesauce. bunny

What I think your portfolio needs is a photo of you and me together taken by Jason Fassnacht. *nods*

Mar 28 12 04:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
TDSImages
Posts: 819
Salt Lake City, Utah, US


If you're still going, I would like a critique of my work.  Be as harsh and as honest as you want, I'm looking for ways to improve my work, not a pat on the back.  Thanks!
Mar 28 12 04:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eleanor Rose
Posts: 2,252
Santa Rosa, California, US


RTE Photography wrote:
I would like a model's opinion of my work. Be as frank as you want, I can take it.

Tommy

First, you don't need 140 photos. Most models prefer to see 15-20 of your best, and having that many images can be detrimental to you. Also, we really don't want to see a folder for each model. Pick the best one or two images from each set and either split into folders by genre, or not at all.

I went through all your albums, and keeping one or two photos from most of the albums I think you could easily have a much stronger portfolio with the following:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110621/20/4e0163af6e337_m.jpg
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27651986 18
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22876422 18
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22696844 18
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22683090 18
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090713/00/4a5adb9a55945_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090614/19/4a35b8dd46804_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120225/15/4f4973cf28c63_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120206/23/4f30cd4fc99c8_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/091030/12/4aeb3fba0e4c7_m.jpg
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 4#12892244 18
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/12808487 18
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090817/23/4a8a4d9bc1417_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110616/19/4dfab78b7e144_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110501/16/4dbdf15e29bb6_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110501/17/4dbdf4509bfbc_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110501/16/4dbdf1ff955e4_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110501/16/4dbdf25a2740b_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110501/16/4dbdf34367e8b_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090722/08/4a6733726d434_m.jpg

Did you used to shoot film? A lot of your work from the fashion and nude albums seems like film. It almost appears to be shot by a completely different photographer! I like it a lot, but if you aren't shooting it anymore, I don't think you should have it in your portfolio, or at least put it in it's own folder.

Mar 28 12 05:19 pm  Link  Quote 
1234last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers