login info join!
Forums > General Industry > Worst Excuses Search   Reply
first1234last
Photographer
Rik Williams
Posts: 3,340
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


My laptop caught fire and now I have scorched thighs neutral
Sep 18 12 05:23 am  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
MainePaintah
Posts: 1,703
Saco, Maine, US


rp_photo wrote:

For anyone other than an experienced pro, enthusiasm over a shoot a month away is vapor, as that is well beyond their typical attention/commitment span.

I agree, but e-mails about the photoshhoot went back and forth up until the night before, and she was enthusiastic until she flaked that morning!!!

Sep 18 12 05:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
rp_photo
Posts: 42,490
Houston, Texas, US


MainePaintah wrote:

I agree, but e-mails about the photoshhoot went back and forth up until the night before, and she was enthusiastic until she flaked that morning!!!

What counts most is when the entusiasm began, after which it seems to go on "autopilot" until it hits them the time has come.

Don't expect more than a 7 day window with most non-pros.

Sep 18 12 05:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jhono Bashian
Posts: 2,432
Cleveland, Ohio, US


a model told me on two different occasions that her grandma died. I know some still have grand parents from both sides.  She faked on me for a meeting and then pulled the grandam card trice within 6 weeks for each excuse. that is why she is  not making money with me.
Sep 18 12 06:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lovely Day Media
Posts: 3,992
Vineland, New Jersey, US


I'd have to say the strangest one came from a woman who cancelled because it "looked like it was going to rain".  This was to be a swimsuit shoot near water ... but she didn't want to get rained on.  Whatever dude.

  Honorable mentions include ... the woman who "loves my work" and is "so excited to shoot with me" so we set up a shoot.  I contact her the night before to see if we're still on for tomorrow and she says no because she's "going to the beach".  She asks ... can we reschedule for 2 days later?  I say yes.  I contact her 1 day later to see if we're still on and she says no.  Her son is sick and if he's not better in the morning, she has to take him to the doctor so she can't shoot.  Like I said, whatever.

  Then there was the woman ... I don't remember the exact days, but we set up a shoot late on a Monday night to shoot early on Wednesday morning.  I get a message from her after midnite on Wednesday saying she's not going to just show up without confirmation.  In other words, we made the plans 24 hours ago and she still wants confirmation.  It doesn't matter that I had been out of the office shooting all day.  She wanted confirmation, dammit!  I replied to the PM right then and she read it ... but didn't show up for the shoot.

  It's not the same thing, but I shot with a model once but forgot to ask her to sign the release.  I told her I needed her to sign so we needed to meet.  It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes and it didn't matter where we met as we weren't shooting.  She said okay but didn't show up for our meeting and didn't return my messages (sent by any medium).  I'm sure she's angry with me because she "didn't get her pictures" but I think I went over and above trying to get them to her without breaking my own neck.
Sep 18 12 06:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
rp_photo
Posts: 42,490
Houston, Texas, US


Lovely Day Media wrote:
I'd have to say the strangest one came from a woman who cancelled because it "looked like it was going to rain".

I hate it when weather "teeters" in the hours before a shoot, as it brings out just how serious the model is.

And Murphy makes sure it turns to be good in the event the shoot is cancelled, but not always the opposite.

Sep 18 12 11:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BlueMoonPics
Posts: 4,138
New York, New York, US


Rik Image wrote:
My laptop caught fire and now I have scorched thighs neutral

I met an agency model once that actually did have scorched inner thighs.  She spilled hot cooking oil on herself and still had the bandages on.  She still came out for the shoot!

Sep 18 12 11:35 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Herman Surkis
Posts: 8,437
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada


Rik Image wrote:
My laptop caught fire and now I have scorched thighs neutral

Possible, considering older laptop batteries.

Sep 18 12 11:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jayc Yu
Posts: 526
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Herman Surkis wrote:
Possible, considering older laptop batteries.

People salvage unprotected 18650 batteries from laptops for their flashlights. If 2 or more batteries differ in voltage due to varying discharge rates, then they can go in a melt down, and in a water-tight flashlight host, the pressure builds up, leading to an explosion.

Here is a battery-powered pipebomb:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho … A-exploded

Here is lithium poisoning after explosion to boot: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho … battery!!!

Accidents happen in the dark

Sep 18 12 12:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
Hunter GWPB
Posts: 1,207
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US


Sarah Thiessen wrote:
Ive had it happen... I asked to reschedule, because the WHOLE trip (to vancouver from edmoton)  was supposed to be devoted to my long distance boyfriend of almost a year, and i booked some shoots for the week while he is in school, and some photographers wanted to book the weekends, i said yes, realizing after another photographer wanted THAT  same concept the next weekend too (a much more talented advanced photographer as well) ... After im already doing 2 hours plus travel time every day of the week, he is the ONLY photographer i had to book that day, that wanted to book that day, and it was the only day id have a FULL day with my boyfriend... So i cancelled so as to not sideline my boyfriend for TF shoots, that take 4 hours and COULD be one... hmm   Travel time is really what gets me.. But its not like they pay for my gas or anything, i asked him to shoot 2 weeks prior, he booked a studio, and i felt TERRRIBLEE.. But he had another model booked as well.. And i already have the same concept booked later in the week, when i had asked to reschedule, (almost 2 weeks in advance) and he said me asking to reschedule will result in a disservice... ? Are you serious?

I have plenty more other available times tooshoot.. And he choose my one day to my boyfriend. And i agree because i felt bad that he had booked the studio, but obviously he had other models he could work with as well! And i had offered to reschedule the following weekend when i have a shoot scheduled, and i will be to stay the NIGHT near this location, and not have to do travel time so much hmm.   

But i suppose that isnt understandable for certain photographers because they dont seem to have much lives but behind the camera computer and the studio!! sad     

Maybe im in the wrong on this one, but this iiisss MY trip, i can easily find a different photographer more then willing to reschedule, just like he can find a model... Is it too much to ask to reschedule happily?  (lets be honest, his work may or may not even benefit my port ANYWAYS, but with the efforts he offered-studio and all- i didnt want to have to turn him down because he seemed so excited to work with me!)

however i left priority with the more experience photographers ive been waiting to shoot with more... hmm. I do not flake on shoots, does rescheduling seriously not EVER happen to photographers like it does to models? We have lives outside of our modelling career, that we have to choose priorities!!

I guess you better be at the top of the game to book this model.  Let's see... you went to see your boyfriend but decided to work instead of seeing him.  Then you backed out on a guy that had already committed money to the project so you can see your boyfriend instead.  That is okay because you are doing the concept with a better photographer later in the week.   And it is okay because you made your priority 1) the better photographer 2) your boyfriend 3) the poor sucker with a concept not completely original, who put money up to work with you.  Do I have it straight?  Yes, you are right.  This is all his fault.

How old are you?  Is this a high school thing where you, like ah, make dates and brake them when the captain of the football team called?   And then you say the photographer doesn't have a life to further justify your immaturity, lack of planning, lack of respect, lack of consideration, lack of professional ethics.  I am sure there are a bunch of photographers in your area that will be deciding not to book you after posting that self serving garbage.  phhht!


On another post:  I have no idea what a FTV is either.  Maybe I don't want to know.

Sep 18 12 05:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GeM Photographic
Posts: 2,360
Chicago, Illinois, US


Cassie Hepler wrote:

What is an FTV?

In this case, probably not Fashion TV - http://www.fashiontv.com/ - so I'd guess the "First Time Video" adult website.

Sep 18 12 05:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Matthew Belshaw
Posts: 33
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom


FTV is an adult themed website. First time video. My Ex Gf did a shoot for them. I can understand the Masturbator being worn out, my ex ame back exhausted too. although the resulting photos and video were actually quite good.
Oct 04 12 02:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
FiveOne November
Posts: 169
Rochester, New York, US


I was on location with video camera ready to roll, lights all in place, all ready to shoot a hot tub commercial.  Client there, MUA there, ad agency there, no bikini model.  Calls to her went unanswered.  I had never worked with that model before so I didn't know what to expect.

Ultimately, someone went to her home to check on her. No one there.  MUA had two very nice looking friends who came in and did the shoot.  Turns out the original model had been arrested the night before.
Oct 04 12 01:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Justin Matthews
Posts: 982
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


Here's one with a happy ending.

After working out a shoot with this particular "model" spending over an hour on the phone discussing ideas and her "just dying to work with me" and "really committed" to the project and her upcoming modelling career. We set a date. But I must admit I was a little sceptical about her. At about the same time another newcomer conta VTcted me to organise a shoot. She lived only a couple of km's away.
Anyway, on the  morning of the shoot, as I had assumed, no call, no show. I tried to call, and text, but no answer. So I called the other model, she was ready to go and we did the shoot without hassle. In fact she has turned out to be a fantastic addition to my model base. Since then we have done a couple more shoots and all have had great outcomes.
Oh and about a day later, I finally get a message from the original "model". It turns out she slept in. Very committed indeed. At least her Grandmother seems to have survived the ordeal.
Anyway, in the end I'm glad it happened. As I now have the addition of the really committed model and muse.

Kate-Victoria    #2705978


http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121004/22/506e6e24e809c_m.jpg

Thank you Kate for your commitment and being a true model.
Oct 05 12 03:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Darren Brade
Posts: 2,746
London, England, United Kingdom


RebeccaChristine wrote:
I think it's really funny when someone meets you via Facebook, organises a shoot via Facebook, messages you on Facebook to cancel with some dramatic life threatening reason

And then posts pictures of the party on Facebook without hiding them from you.

I've caught at least 5-10 people lying in similar ways (I held a fashion show, that's why the number is so high haha)

I knew you were in England by the 2nd paragraph. A very Brit thing to do. ;-)

Oct 06 12 07:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David J Martin
Posts: 456
Amberg, Bavaria, Germany


Anna Adrielle wrote:

I wonder how many times a photographer thinks the model made some weird excuse when it was actually true... There are plenty of stories of models who have a problem or situation that prevents them from going to a shoot, have the balls to inform the photographer and get called names for it and put on some sot of blacklist.
not cool.

[Looking] looks like a pile of crap, [Sniff Sniff] smells like crap.  Well then, the excuse might really have been a load of crap.  The no call, last minute or last second cancellations give models that full of shit vibe too.  But you're probably right, it's probably legit.

Oct 06 12 07:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Naturalite
Posts: 139
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada


"I've been having sevire pain in my head that makes me have panic attakes that makes me go to de hospital ! its realy not fun and i been having too miss college ! so unfortunaly i cant go take picture with you because that was witgh my school hour !! i reallyy sorry for that , maybe another time"

(Apparently they don't teach "SPELLING" until "college"

"Really sorry for the miscommunication. Honestly I did think I responded with my email, but not that I think about it, I remember I was going to change my email back to vanessa.***** rather than the vanessa.**** I've been using and must have gotten side tracked and never sent the message back.
I didn't want to bug you so I figured that you would respond to my "still on" message with some details, I wasn't really thinking when I sent it, I just got back from Maine and answered the first thing I thought of intending to start a dialogue.
Again I'm really sorry, and I would like to pay you for what you would normally charge for a shoot, I certainly didn't intend for you to miss a day of work."

(Again sorry and I will pay you....Yeah right)

Worst excuse is no excuse ...not answering Texts, emails, voice mail, phone calls, and leaving you hanging wondering if you should prepare or just blow it off
Oct 06 12 07:42 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Aly Catt
Posts: 402
Oneonta, New York, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
I wonder how many times a photographer thinks the model made some weird excuse when it was actually true... There are plenty of stories of models who have a problem or situation that prevents them from going to a shoot, have the balls to inform the photographer and get called names for it and put on some sot of blacklist.
not cool.

I had to cancel my whole NYC/Connecticut/Boston trip because photographers cancelled on me, so by the time I paid to have my car fixed, and the insurance, I had not a single dollar to put in the gas tank. I had already borrowed money from everyone I could, so I couldn't do anything about it. And it sounds like the most ridiculous excuse probably to all the photographers. Half of them didn't even reply to my message when I told them. But if this is my full time job why would I turn down paid work in 3 different states that I had been planning for weeks?
Sometimes I feel photographers aren't that understanding....

Oct 06 12 07:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MesmerEyes Photography
Posts: 2,913
Tyler, Texas, US


Darren Brade wrote:

I don't know why people book studios with models they've never worked with before, it's too high a risk.

You're right about thee no-refund policy.

What? How would you ever work with them then if you don't have a studio? Only do location shoots? Pay them for something you don't need, still losing money that way.

Oct 06 12 07:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MesmerEyes Photography
Posts: 2,913
Tyler, Texas, US


Rhiannon Davis wrote:
"I can't see out of my right eye."

This is what he told me on the phone at 9 am (the time the shoot was supposed to start). I was already at the location ready to shoot. I had driven nearly 2 hours. I was not pleased.

Well, if something happened to him right before the shoot I could see that. I wouldn't be pleased either but it could be a legit excuse.

Oct 06 12 07:46 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Burghardt
Posts: 47
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain


The classic work call after I said no to her boyfriend coming as llama herder:

'Unfortunatelly i got a call from work today, they want me in at 11. I'm really sorry about this.'

I did say to her that I wouldn't have a problem if a (female) friend is coming, or someone for her make up. In case she's uncomfortable. By the way, the Shoot would have been right in the city centre, couldn't have been more public place than this...
Oct 06 12 07:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,116
Tampa, Florida, US


Sugar Sharai wrote:
Ive had it happen... I asked to reschedule, because the WHOLE trip (to vancouver from edmoton)  was supposed to be devoted to my long distance boyfriend of almost a year,

Well, as long as you cancelled the shoot because of your devotion to your long-distance boyfriend. Certainly, nobody could question your dedication to modeling or have a problem with those priorities.

Oct 06 12 08:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,116
Tampa, Florida, US


One of my very first shoots.

"I auditioned for a porn yesterday and I'm still sore."
Oct 06 12 08:02 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brightonian
Posts: 779
Brighton, England, United Kingdom


My Grandma died (again)
Oct 06 12 08:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,116
Tampa, Florida, US


Darren Brade wrote:
I don't know why people book studios with models they've never worked with before, it's too high a risk.
MesmerEyes Photography wrote:
What? How would you ever work with them then if you don't have a studio? Only do location shoots? Pay them for something you don't need, still losing money that way.

I would never outlay an expense that was contingent on one internet model, I'd never worked with, showing up. That's a risk-reward ratio that is heavily skewed.

Personally, if I needed to shoot in a studio I would be booking multiple models to alleviate the risk of one or two no-shows.

Oct 06 12 08:07 am  Link  Quote 
Model
AnaMaria04
Posts: 349
Minneapolis, Minnesota, US


Matt Throop Photography wrote:
Blamed me because she didn't answer texts or phone calls about confirming the shoot.

Yup, had a photog blame me because he sent an email with a suggested date and I emailed back saying, "Sure, that works.  Can you send me your address and tell me what to bring?" (He was in a big city two hours away)  I tried messaging him a couple of times, but he never replied except after the date had passed asking why I hadn't shown up.

Oct 07 12 01:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Kim L Makeup
Posts: 33
Montreal, Quebec, Canada


"My mom doesn't want me to go because it's raining."
Oct 07 12 02:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kevin Connery
Posts: 16,724
El Segundo, California, US


Makeup artist sent me an email 15 hours before the shoot, telling me she had taken a different job because it paid more than I was paying, and that she knew I'd understand. Not a text, not a phone call; an email. I didn't see it until less than 10 hours before the shoot, by which time it was late Saturday night--not the best time to look for a replacement for Sunday morning--especially since all the artists I usually work with were unavailable,which is why I hired her in the first place.)

I understood that it was the first time I'd hired her,  that she'd proven herself to be short-sighted and untrustworthy, and that I'd never contact her for a job again.
Oct 07 12 02:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Malloch Caldwell
Posts: 2,555
Hastings, England, United Kingdom


Not really a flake as she did show up eventually.
On route driving to me she got lost and phoned me for directions. So naturally I ask "can you tell me where are you now"?
Answer, "why do you need to know that"?
Oct 07 12 02:51 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


David J Martin wrote:

[Looking] looks like a pile of crap, [Sniff Sniff] smells like crap.  Well then, the excuse might really have been a load of crap.  The no call, last minute or last second cancellations give models that full of shit vibe too.  But you're probably right, it's probably legit.

I have no doubt that's often the case. not always though.

Oct 07 12 05:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
_Rei_
Posts: 124
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia


Brightonian wrote:
My Grandma died (again)

Part of me hopes that someday, somebody gives me this excuse for not showing up. Providing that it includes the "(again)" bit.

There's one or two photographers that I categorise as, "They're Just Not That Into (shooting with) You". I've met with them, exchanged emails, scheduled a rough date, only to have them put it off because of family issues/day job troubles, or because they're "saving up" to pay me (I don't cost that much). This can go on for months - they disappear, then start commenting on my new images, and message about how keen they are to eventually shoot. I know the deal - they're much more interested in talking about shooting with me than actually doing it. I just wish they'd realise this themselves.

Oct 07 12 05:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mirror With A Memory
Posts: 285
New York, New York, US


Once I had  2 different llamas tell me I was not the right nationality to take their photographs after we arrived on set.
Oct 07 12 05:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
_ Robyn Elizabeth _
Posts: 436
London, England, United Kingdom


Some of those excuses are awesome.

I got pissed and fell over taking a huge chunk out of my knee the night before a shoot once.  I called in the morning to warn them and check they still wanted me to come. I still showed up and the shoot was fine, although if you look carefully at a couple of my pictures you can see the plaster and blood.  Hmm, not my finest moment, felt a bit of a muppet.

It does seem like people do have a big problem with flakes and sadly the fact there are so many it makes people suspicious of real reasons. I'm sure some of them, especially the more obscure are genuine though.
Oct 08 12 06:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bravoscape
Posts: 259
Frederick, Maryland, US


I emailed (24 hours before shoot) and received a reply 72 hours later that I hadn't given an address or contact number lol. WTF...if she had replied I would have lol. Oh, and I had no other contact information for her.

Oh well.
Oct 08 12 06:06 am  Link  Quote 
Model
CherryPie Suicide
Posts: 2
Derby, England, United Kingdom


There seems to be a huge amount of disrespect for this industry amongst many people that claim to want to get involved...it's too easy for decent-looking girls nowadays to go 'O I WANNA MODEL' and then not have to balls when it comes down to it to actually walk the walk...

Your word should be your bond...
Oct 08 12 06:35 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Image Works Photography
Posts: 2,890
Orlando, Florida, US


CherryPie Suicide wrote:
There seems to be a huge amount of disrespect for this industry amongst many people that claim to want to get involved...it's too easy for decent-looking girls nowadays to go 'O I WANNA MODEL' and then not have to balls when it comes down to it to actually walk the walk...

Your word should be your bond...

I wished these models had the balls to be a model.

Oct 08 12 08:23 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


CherryPie Suicide wrote:
There seems to be a huge amount of disrespect for this industry amongst many people that claim to want to get involved...it's too easy for decent-looking girls nowadays to go 'O I WANNA MODEL' and then not have to balls when it comes down to it to actually walk the walk...

Your word should be your bond...

as if photographers never flake? or make up artists?

I had an accomplished stylist (works for tv and magazines regularly) flake on us a couple weeks ago, the night before the shoot. shit happens.

Oct 08 12 08:29 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ash Belle
Posts: 22
Raleigh, North Carolina, US


Rik Image wrote:
My laptop caught fire and now I have scorched thighs neutral

That literally made me lol.

Oct 08 12 08:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jacob Davis
Posts: 857
Boulder, Colorado, US


"My Lord Dagon has given me the gift of gills, that I might better fathom the depths of the black waters. Still self conscious about them, though. Sry."

"I sacrificed my grandma (again) to The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young! IA IA SHUB-NIGGURATH! A little shaken up, can't make it."

"I accidentally tempered my Sigil of the Watcher on a crescent moon instead of a full moon, so it will be of no use during our shoot."

"Grandma just came back to life (again)."

Folks, if you're going to perform the blasphemous rituals from the Book of the Black Earth or worship forgotten, dead (but dreaming) gods just before a shoot, please RTFM.

edit: no, srsly, the worst I've ever heard was, after agreeing to a TF shoot, someone demanding just hours ahead of the shoot to be paid in money.
Oct 08 12 09:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,116
Tampa, Florida, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
as if photographers never flake? or make up artists?

I had an accomplished stylist (works for tv and magazines regularly) flake on us a couple weeks ago, the night before the shoot. shit happens.

The entire point of this thread is to share your worst excuses. Yet you seem to be more interested in replying to every model flake story by reiterating that photographers flake too.

Not one person has claimed that only models flake. Yes, photographers flake too.

Do you have any stories that would actually pertain to the subject?

Oct 08 12 09:18 am  Link  Quote 
first1234last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers