login info join!
Forums > Critique > Why the avi of the post above u couldn't be yours Search   Reply
1234last
Photographer
Fist Full of Ish
Posts: 1,897
Oak Ridge, Tennessee, US


A lot of times we give feedback on pics and we say we like them or don't like them, but other aspects of our preferences come out when we make our own images.  Sometimes I like an image that someone else did, but I can see that the image would never have come from me because of something about the contrast or composition or something that I either wouldn't do, or couldn't do.

If you are a photographer, what specific aspects of the avatar above you best demonstrates why you would not have produced that exact image?

If you are a model, what would you have added, couldn't have achieved, or wouldn't have participated in?

If you think that the style, techniques, preferences are not different than yours, then what do you think can be improved? (once something has been done, you can always improve upon it if that thing is within your capabilities)
Nov 28 12 08:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art Silva
Posts: 8,245
Santa Barbara, California, US


tones-exposure, apparent HD filtering and pose of the model and style.
Nov 28 12 09:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 31,688
Lodi, California, US


Selective color.






Kidding.

Well, semi-kidding. I don't do selective color, but I realize that avi isn't.

That avi couldn't be mine because I can't get a model to do full frontal unless I paid and I'm too broke to pay.
Nov 28 12 09:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
B E A R
Posts: 471
Riverside, California, US


That Avi couldn't be mine because I'm not light skinned.........


big_smile
But really, I don't really have any "face" shots and I find it just a tad boring.
Nov 28 12 09:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art Silva
Posts: 8,245
Santa Barbara, California, US


Orca Bay Images wrote:
Selective color.






Kidding.

Well, semi-kidding. I don't do selective color, but I realize that avi isn't.

That avi couldn't be mine because I can't get a llama to do full frontal unless I paid and I'm too broke to pay.

Actually, go look in my port at the full image, it's a layer of a graphic over my gray scale photo that states "avatar safe" so I could use it and not get reprimanded by MM   wink


@ Bear
I could see that as my avatar  smile

I apologize for the dual post

Nov 28 12 09:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fist Full of Ish
Posts: 1,897
Oak Ridge, Tennessee, US


Art Silva Photography wrote:
tones-exposure, apparent HD filtering and pose of the model and style.

Hey Art, and anyone following, your response doesn't give me the useful information I was hoping for.  For example, I would say this about your avatar:
It wouldn't be something I would do because the vignette is far too heavy for my taste.  (I almost always vignette, too).  I swore-off selective desaturation, so I wouldn't have done that.  The composition is way way too symmetric for my taste.  'Would not have done that. ... etc.

That's the kind of stuff that might even be helpful.

Nov 28 12 09:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 31,688
Lodi, California, US


Art Silva Photography wrote:
Actually, go look in my port at the full image, it's a layer of a graphic over my gray scale photo that states "avatar safe" so I could use it and not get reprimanded by MM   wink

I was joking about the selective color. It was obvious what those red bars were for.

Back to the thread... Bear is last in line.

Nov 28 12 09:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A N D E R S O N
Posts: 2,553
Garden Grove, California, US


Interesting thread, I like it.

The above avi couldn't be mine because I wouldn't make that crop, and I like two catch lights in the eyes on the top & bottom.
Nov 28 12 09:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Amul La La
Posts: 708
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom


I don't shoot nudes.

Models with brightly coloured hair doesn't work for me, it's not natural enough for me.
Nov 29 12 05:25 am  Link  Quote 
Model
_ Robyn Elizabeth _
Posts: 436
London, England, United Kingdom


A M U L wrote:
I don't shoot nudes.

Models with brightly coloured hair doesn't work for me, it's not natural enough for me.

My bum isn't that good or toned so that couldn't be me!

Also, while I think it's a great image it's a bit traditionally sexy glamour for my tastes, I generally like images that are a bit more unusual.

Nov 29 12 05:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lucid-Grafx Photography
Posts: 555
Manchester, New Hampshire, US


_ Robyn Elizabeth _ wrote:
My bum isn't that good or toned so that couldn't be me!

Also, while I think it's a great image it's a bit traditionally sexy glamour for my tastes, I generally like images that are a bit more unusual.

While the location is definitely some place I would find myself shooting, my choice of wardobe would have been different with you. I like to have outdoor shoots in similar locations have a bit of a surreal feel to them- especially with the autumn colors and branches etc. in that image

Nov 29 12 06:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,122
Upland, California, US


Lucid-Grafx Photography wrote:
While the location is definitely some place I would find myself shooting, my choice of wardobe would have been different with you. I like to have outdoor shoots in similar locations have a bit of a surreal feel to them- especially with the autumn colors and branches etc. in that image

Like the fan in the hair... DONT like the fact that the glasses distorted the Hell out of her ear... she's got RADAR in this pic... yikes   Also... a flat-chested model should NEVER have a portion of her booty cropped off... you just eliminated showcasing one of her best assets... wink

Nov 29 12 06:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Photography by Ricky
Posts: 293
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


Select Models wrote:
Like the fan in the hair... DONT like the fact that the glasses distorted the Hell out of her ear... she's got RADAR in this pic... lol

I don't shoot animals. smile

Nov 29 12 06:21 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Francisco Castro
Posts: 1,553
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


Melb Rick wrote:

I don't shoot animals. smile

Despite having some really good and much better images in the port of Melb Rick, he picked this as his avatar:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/avatars/2/6/2/0/2/6/3/50b3047796f71_t.jpg

The angle is very unflattering to the model, and only serves to showoff the latticed roof.

Nov 29 12 07:28 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Cynthia Serrano
Posts: 12,436
Newark, New Jersey, US


Model is too dark to be me and I am not a fan of the harsh shadow on the model
Nov 29 12 09:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
sospix
Posts: 20,916
Orlando, Florida, US


Well, the above AVI couldn't be mine, cause I can't git Miss C ta come shoot with me  .  .  .  wink

SOS
Nov 29 12 10:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Juniper Tree Photo
Posts: 51
Piqua, Ohio, US


Couldn't be mine, no beautiful beaches nearby!
Nov 29 12 10:42 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
sospix
Posts: 20,916
Orlando, Florida, US


Juniper Tree Photo wrote:
Couldn't be mine, no beautiful beaches nearby!

It's actually a construction site, with some gravel strewn about  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 29 12 10:45 am  Link  Quote 
Model
B E A R
Posts: 471
Riverside, California, US


sospix wrote:

It's actually a construction site, with some gravel strewn about  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Couldn't be mine because I don't look that gorgeous in a little white dress wink

Nov 29 12 11:30 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Dora L
Posts: 28
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Couldn't be mine because it would take a hell of a lot of lifting and/or surgery to get my boobs to look like that tongue
Nov 29 12 11:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
nyk fury
Posts: 2,874
Port Townsend, Washington, US


because she is so much prettier than i am.
Nov 29 12 11:35 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Don Pool
Posts: 95
Plano, Texas, US


Couldn't be mine because I would have shopped the "dagger" out of her left arm.
Edit: this was for Bear. nyk fury beat me. nyk couldn't be mine because I don't care for the dark side of things.
Nov 29 12 11:38 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


Fist Full of Ish wrote:
A lot of times we give feedback on pics and we say we like them or don't like them, but other aspects of our preferences come out when we make our own images.  Sometimes I like an image that someone else did, but I can see that the image would never have come from me because of something about the contrast or composition or something that I either wouldn't do, or couldn't do.

If you are a photographer, what specific aspects of the avatar above you best demonstrates why you would not have produced that exact image?

If you are a model, what would you have added, couldn't have achieved, or wouldn't have participated in?

If you think that the style, techniques, preferences are not different than yours, then what do you think can be improved? (once something has been done, you can always improve upon it if that thing is within your capabilities)

Edit: cause it didn;'t take the first half of this. LOL

The avi is too dark and honestly, the model is so low it makes for a less attractive image. I can't tell if its a lady or a man in a wig, to be honest. Creative and interesting but not anything I prefer in particular.

Personal notes on improvement;

I feel like, as a model, there is constant room for improvement.
I came into this not knowing s*it. Not understanding that TF doesn't always mean good, not knowing I should get stylists, maintain hair, nails, face...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/MelC_album/2641_1025404248566_1732287_n.jpg
(Summer 2008)

...nor did I understand that the photographer should give direction, as to make sure their vision is implemented as well (if a collaboration is in progress) or executed (if the shoot is for their use).

Now, this was most recent
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/MelC_album/564983_10151935518236002_1097838389_n.jpg
(Summer 2012)

I see an obvious difference in expression, attitude, confidence. I also need to do a double take cause I don't even see me, nor do those closest to me. The latter image was published and I handed the magazine to my aunt and she was looking right at her niece and exclaimed, "you should do something like this!"..err..."auntie, that is me."..she was dumbfounded.

Stylists, designers, even photographers can't make the model a model, that's up to them to push their limits, express their movements, elongate, whatever the case may be.

I find I am tougher on ME than most. I moved wrong, I didn't express enough, my face looks the same in every photo, I wasn't (as Tyra says) 'smizing', the accessories are off balance, the dress didn't move with my body, my cuticles are showing...I could fill a long list from natural flaws to simple mistakes!

This is still a long road ahead and I don't think I will ever say that I have completed the journey or learned all there is to know. Its constant.

Nov 29 12 11:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
RachelReilly
Posts: 1,696
Washington, District of Columbia, US


Edit*

Melodye,

Couldn't be mine because, I wouldn't light the subject/ background that way and I'm not a fan of the hand or styling.


Don Pool,

Couldnt be mine because, While I love the idea/ pose/ expression, wouldn't shoot a model styled this way.
Hate the dress and the wig!
Nov 29 12 11:59 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


Rachel Reilly wrote:
Don't know what melodye is doing but


Don pool,

While I love the idea/ idea/ expression, wouldn't shoot a model styled that way.

First half of my message went bozo and deleted it'sself. Sorry all!

Nov 29 12 12:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Victoria MHP
Posts: 886
Houston, Texas, US


Melody:



Couldn't be me because I think eyes in most cases make the photo, by the expression they give...I would not cover my eyes. smile
Nov 29 12 12:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Cynthia Serrano
Posts: 12,436
Newark, New Jersey, US


Couldn't be mine because I don't own any Dallas cowboy gear tongue
Nov 29 12 01:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Juniper Tree Photo
Posts: 51
Piqua, Ohio, US


Cynthia Serrano  wrote:
Couldn't be mine because I don't own any Dallas cowboy gear tongue

Couldn't be mine, I don't use the hipstamatic filters.

Nov 29 12 01:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
NicoleNudes
Posts: 3,725
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Juniper Tree Photo wrote:

Couldn't be mine, I don't use the hipstamatic filters.

Not enough boobs and the upper arm tattoo.

Nov 29 12 01:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Maruschke
Posts: 543
Darfield, Canterbury, New Zealand


I dont do nudes smile
Nov 29 12 01:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,406
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


NicoleNudes wrote:
Not enough boobs and the upper arm tattoo.

She decided to start doing nudes the day after I shot with her. I blame my dog. Everyone should send her a bone.

Nov 29 12 01:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,406
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


Maruschke wrote:
I dont do nudes smile

I don't like raccoon eyes lighting.

Nov 29 12 01:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
sospix
Posts: 20,916
Orlando, Florida, US


Couldn't be me in the AVI  .  .  .  my legs aren't that long, and I don't look all that good in lingerie  .  .  .  wink  I'm not doin' this right, am I  .  .  .

SOS
Nov 29 12 01:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Juniper Tree Photo
Posts: 51
Piqua, Ohio, US


Dan K Photography wrote:

She decided to start doing nudes the day after I shot with her. I blame my dog. Everyone should send her a bone.

umm, she was replying to my post! lol

Nov 29 12 01:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
NicoleNudes
Posts: 3,725
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Dan K Photography wrote:

She decided to start doing nudes the day after I shot with her. I blame my dog. Everyone should send her a bone.

lol

I'm going to come back to NY again eventually. It's on my to-do list. And this time I'll shoot some nudes with you tongue

Nov 29 12 01:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
NicoleNudes
Posts: 3,725
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


sospix wrote:
Couldn't be me in the AVI  .  .  .  my legs aren't that long, and I don't look all that good in lingerie  .  .  .  wink  I'm not doin' this right, am I  .  .  .

SOS

I haven't been to FL yet

Nov 29 12 01:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,406
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


Juniper Tree Photo wrote:

umm, she was replying to my post! lol

Yes, I know she was. My post had nothing to do with you. I was just doing what the OP said and commented on why her avatar could not have been mine. I understand how you got confused though:)

Nov 29 12 01:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
sospix
Posts: 20,916
Orlando, Florida, US


That's easily fixed  .  .  .  ask Santa fer a ticket, THEN ya could be my AVI  .  .  .  wink

SOS
Nov 29 12 01:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,406
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


NicoleNudes wrote:
lol

I'm going to come back to NY again eventually. It's on my to-do list. And this time I'll shoot some nudes with you tongue

Wohooo... I will have to get some more toques.

Next person should do SOSPIX.

Nov 29 12 01:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dragon Ink Photography
Posts: 1,056
Hackettstown, New Jersey, US


Love the image, and it could be something I shoot, but I wouldn't have picked this image because she's "missing" an arm.  Small nitpick, but that's why I wouldn't pick it. 

sospix wrote:
That's easily fixed  .  .  .  ask Santa fer a ticket, THEN ya could be my AVI  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 29 12 01:32 pm  Link  Quote 
1234last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers