login info join!
Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Offering critique- whatever I feel like - Search   Reply
first345678910last
Photographer
bw fotograf
Posts: 209
Plano, Texas, US


We've traded comments in the past, but i'd like a more comprehensive review of whatever stands out, i.e., what did i do really right on a couple of images and what did i do really wrong on a couple of the weaker/meh/blah ones.

Thanks!
brad
Dec 27 12 10:15 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ann77
Posts: 175
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Would love to know!  smile
Dec 27 12 12:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Quentin Skyking
Posts: 291
Lancaster, Massachusetts, US


Go for it! I could use some...
Dec 27 12 12:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Babalon Salome
Posts: 3,499
Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany


Let me have it.
Dec 27 12 03:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


AWStudios wrote:
Would love to hear.  Thank you!

Hello AWStudios -

I see that you rate yourself as having "some experience" so this critique will largely be aimed at that level....

what I am really seeing is that you need to work on white balance and toning. 

But first, you are throwing too much uncontrolled light around in your studio work and as a result are getting very flat images with muddled tones and poor contrast ratios....

when I do workshops I sometimes let people set up a shot and then look at the result, then I turn off all but *one light* and show how that to be effective light must both be used sparingly and controlled....  when light is coming from multiple directions within a 180 degree arc as I can see by the shadows cast by her toes:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29436065

where you appear to be cross lighting her from the front at about 45 degrees left and right,   you are going to create these flat uninteresting images

my prescription for you is to use one and only one light in your studio work until you get a real feel for how to use light falloff contrast and shadowing to create depth and dimension in your work - and then - whenever you feel the desire to add another light on your model,  make sure it is very tightly controlled.....

the only exception to this is lighting in depth - ie  lighting your background, perhaps a prop or object, and your model - all *separately*.....   then use two or three lights as needed but do not let them interfere with one another....

Whatever modifier you use - learn to *control* it -  slice and dice it -  use grids on everything that will accept them so you are not spewing light all over the place.  Use flags to control spill where you don't want it. 

many of my publications were shot with one light -  and day in day out you will see me shooting with more reflectors, scrims, gobos and flags than I have lights running....

I had a shoot today of six looks including art nudes and never had more than one light running -  I shot with a bare bulb,  a 36" x 10" strip box, and a silver beauty dish.....  (one at a time of course...)

so instead of nitpicking your images one by one - the previous is my suggestion -  I hope you will find it useful....

Dec 27 12 09:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


winking_wonder wrote:
Sure!

Hello Winking Wonder smile

Unless I've had to many snifters of Macallan Gran Reserva this evening, I'm not seeing a field in your profile where you are stating your experience level. However I do note that you have been on model mayhem since February of 2011 and have quite a few credits.....

the first thing that jumps out at me is that in every shot you are looking at the camera.   There's nothing wrong with looking at the camera, and maybe this has to do with the images you have selected for your port,  but it is important to use your eyes to create moods in your work by looking away from the camera as well - 

for a soft mood a dreamy, unfocused look is okay, but it is usually better to actually be focusing on something out of frame when you do....

I see a lot of curled hands and fingers -  these are always inelegant -  if you read through this critique I have discussed "elegant hands" with several of the models and really prefer not to repeat this in detail - but elegant hands are almost straight but not stiff, fingers spread a bit, and touching of self or hair or couture is always 'Pretend' touching so as not to disturb the hair or clothing or skin.....

your basic pose tells a story - your eyes and hands *sell* the story....

I would also like to see just a bit better posture -  I highly recommend Yoga for this -  after your chosen foot and knee position, spinal posture makes or breaks a lot of poses -  this is a minor point in your case but one worth making.

I hope you find this helpful....

Dec 27 12 09:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AWStudios
Posts: 18
Royal Oak, Michigan, US


Sounds like great advice.  Thank you!
Dec 28 12 05:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


AWStudios wrote:
Sounds like great advice.  Thank you!

I like the way you "see" so I thought I'd cut to the chase and give you a "prescription" -   many people start off thinking that they have to light *everything* or that shadows are to be "filled"  or that the must employ a key and fill and hair light and rim light etc etc -

I hope you will both try and profit from working with one light for a while - and do not feel the need to avoid the shadows -  a bit of shadowing on your subject - and cast shadows thrown by your subject - create depth and interest....

Cheers smile

Dec 28 12 11:25 am  Link  Quote 
Model
The Phoenix Blue
Posts: 9
Brooklyn, New York, US


I need some critique on my new photos
Dec 28 12 02:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MaryCeleste
Posts: 52
Severn, Maryland, US


I always appreciate any advice you have to give smile
Dec 28 12 04:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Lucas Images
Posts: 9
Daytona Beach, Florida, US


Let me have it ! The good the bad and the ugly.... wink
Dec 28 12 04:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


MaryCeleste  wrote:
I always appreciate any advice you have to give smile

Oh my gosh!  One of my very favourite models.......   asking for critique.....   I'm on  the spot now lol -

Dec 28 12 04:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


bw fotograf wrote:
We've traded comments in the past, but i'd like a more comprehensive review of whatever stands out, i.e., what did i do really right on a couple of images and what did i do really wrong on a couple of the weaker/meh/blah ones.

Thanks!
brad

Hello bw fotograf -

Right off the bat - you've got a good eye - and are ahead of where I would expect someone would normally be after four months using a DSLR - 

that being said... let's see if I can help you a bit

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30965483
notice how flat and lacking detail your model is....    this is due to the method of lighting employed...   

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30748814
nice perspective and composition -  I don't believe the skin tones - the white balance is off...    the contrast ratio is awfully steep...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30935545
this is very "washed out" in appearance -  there is a right way to do this if you're going for that look - which I admit up front that I don't care for -  if you adjust your toning on this shot we will both like it better -  if you use photoshop bring up a levels adjustment layer and adjust the sliders at both ends until you have eliminated all of the flat area at the ends of the histogram....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30284888
ah, that's better - much better lit -  ah - but your white balance is still off - and your model might appreciate a bit of a retouch

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30967115
this is a strong shot and a great look from "your model"

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30965492
now here is a much better it and toned image - note how much depth this shot has compared to some of the earlier images I remarked on

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30591245
this also is one of your better shots in terms of light depth and toning

in sum -

you are using a lighting technique that is producing very flat, low detail images.  These are not  marketable, they are not going to open agency doors for you -  you need to shake your lighting approach up -  I would suggest that you take a look at my advice in this respect to AWStudios above, and learn to slice and dice with light.  Skip all of the intermediate steps - you're ready to take the plunge....

your goal should be to create images that have depth, are within a proper range of tone and contrast, and are accurately white balanced.....   the camera will, by the way, *not* do this for you....

Dec 28 12 04:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


Ann77 wrote:
Would love to know!  smile

Hello Ann77 -

I see that you have been with us on MM for about two years and have worked with quite a few people. My critique will be based on an assessment that you are "experienced".   

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#19789647
this one may have hit print - but presenting armpits to the camera, and breaking up a soft outline with pointed elbows - are really not habits you want to form and maintain.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30964650
what a great look - what a great shot this would be if it were not for the very inelegant use of your left hand...  please see my discussion on elegant hands with quite a few models earlier in this thread -   but the basics are - elegant hands are open and nearly straight but not stiff, the fingers are spread a bit to avoid "paddle hand",  and any touching of the hair skin or couture is "pretend" so as not to create distortions.....

also very noticeable to me in this shot is the poor posture -  posture is your friend - you can up your "elegance" significantly with excellent posture -  and remember -  your pose tells a story - your *hands and eyes* sell the story

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#30974846
way way way too much chin - look how distorted the shape of your face is from this perspective -  I'd suggest removing from the portfolio....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#30342253
you did a smashing job in this shot - I'm not a fan of the edit though

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#30342237
this shot is so technically poor that I would remove it

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#26081304
re-imagine this shot with a lovely strong posture and a more elegant use of hand....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#22668514
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#28501546
strong look


well -

in sum -

posture =  elegant, dynamic -  yoga would do wonders for this - unless you are being coached to round your shoulders by someone -  you show good but not dynamic posture in some of your shots - in others the posture seems weak to me...

hands -   learn to be aware of them and employ them elegantly

you're doing pretty well with your eyes though I don't always believe the look - when looking in the direction of the camera either look very close or look away - a look slightly away is less dynamic. If you look at the camera - look *through* it -   the plane of focus is near the photographer's face behind the camera.  If you "look short" the look is soft

I would love to see more variety in your expressiveness and in your use of your eyes to create mood -  a "look away" that is really focused draws interest, a "look away" that is soft creates a lovely mood....

Dec 28 12 05:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
bw fotograf
Posts: 209
Plano, Texas, US


Fotografica Gregor wrote:

Hello bw fotograf -

Right off the bat - you've got a good eye - and are ahead of where I would expect someone would normally be after four months using a DSLR - 

that being said... let's see if I can help you a bit

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30965483
notice how flat and lacking detail your model is....    this is due to the method of lighting employed...   

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30748814
nice perspective and composition -  I don't believe the skin tones - the white balance is off...    the contrast ratio is awfully steep...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30935545
this is very "washed out" in appearance -  there is a right way to do this if you're going for that look - which I admit up front that I don't care for -  if you adjust your toning on this shot we will both like it better -  if you use photoshop bring up a levels adjustment layer and adjust the sliders at both ends until you have eliminated all of the flat area at the ends of the histogram....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30284888
ah, that's better - much better lit -  ah - but your white balance is still off - and your model might appreciate a bit of a retouch

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30967115
this is a strong shot and a great look from "your model"

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30965492
now here is a much better it and toned image - note how much depth this shot has compared to some of the earlier images I remarked on

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30591245
this also is one of your better shots in terms of light depth and toning

in sum -

you are using a lighting technique that is producing very flat, low detail images.  These are not  marketable, they are not going to open agency doors for you -  you need to shake your lighting approach up -  I would suggest that you take a look at my advice in this respect to AWStudios above, and learn to slice and dice with light.  Skip all of the intermediate steps - you're ready to take the plunge....

your goal should be to create images that have depth, are within a proper range of tone and contrast, and are accurately white balanced.....   the camera will, by the way, *not* do this for you....

awesome critique! :-)

all of the points you touch upon are things i don't like about those images when looking back. admittedly, I don't know what the fuck i'm doing most of the time and rely far too much on presets in LR to process my images. histograms don't make sense to me and what appears to be a "good" histogram is a boring image to me.

i will continue to work on this and not stress about it since i'm just doing it for personal, artistic growth. i think my self-portrait is absolutely the best thing i've done, but i don't know if that lighting and processing approach will be appealing on a female subject. should i focus on portraiture and drop this fashion pursuit i have in my head?

thanks!
brad

Dec 28 12 06:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


Quentin Skyking wrote:
Go for it! I could use some...

Hello Quentin Skyking -

you have an interesting style -

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31092882
very nice shot -  a bit of a lateral change in perspective may have made it more dynamic -  but there probably was not room....  nah - I like it

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 2#31092876
like - but I am not a fan of centred compositions as a rule

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 2#31092867
this is a very intriguing shot but would definitely benefit from a rule of thirds / golden ratio composition and maybe a steeper contrast ratio as well 

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 2#28029705
I'm not really a fan of elbows this pointed and of disappearing hands -  that's a matter of model direction -  shots like this can be tough on the dynamic range - at least as MM is rendering it it appears you have burned out highlights on her head....   a tough shot on exposure but all in all a good compromise in this respect.  I am not a fan of having this much header in the composition though.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 2#26254332
not  a fan of this one -  the static, central placement of your model in the composition,  the tone curve, the point of view all don't do it for me.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 2#25915490
this is pretty cool - like the light and cast shadow

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 2#21638639
this is super - almost - a little better arrangement of the way her dress is
falling would have been a bit of an improvement - pretty shot

well -

you have a lot of interesting shots - they become less interesting all in all the further "down" your port I go with a couple of exceptions.   You have a good eye.  I would debate your choice of perspective and composition in a few instances.   Also the tonal range and contrast ratio in some of your shots.  Definitely not sold on the model direction,  wardrobe choices and arrangement, and the white balance.....

You're very close though -

Dec 28 12 06:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Ann77
Posts: 175
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Fotografica Gregor wrote:
Hello Ann77 -

I see that you have been with us on MM for about two years and have worked with quite a few people. My critique will be based on an assessment that you are "experienced".   

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#19789647
this one may have hit print - but presenting armpits to the camera, and breaking up a soft outline with pointed elbows - are really not habits you want to form and maintain.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30964650
what a great look - what a great shot this would be if it were not for the very inelegant use of your left hand...  please see my discussion on elegant hands with quite a few llamas earlier in this thread -   but the basics are - elegant hands are open and nearly straight but not stiff, the fingers are spread a bit to avoid "paddle hand",  and any touching of the hair skin or couture is "pretend" so as not to create distortions.....

also very noticeable to me in this shot is the poor posture -  posture is your friend - you can up your "elegance" significantly with excellent posture -  and remember -  your pose tells a story - your *hands and eyes* sell the story

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#30974846
way way way too much chin - look how distorted the shape of your face is from this perspective -  I'd suggest removing from the portfolio....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#30342253
you did a smashing job in this shot - I'm not a fan of the edit though

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#30342237
this shot is so technically poor that I would remove it

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#26081304
re-imagine this shot with a lovely strong posture and a more elegant use of hand....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#22668514
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#28501546
strong look


well -

in sum -

posture =  elegant, dynamic -  yoga would do wonders for this - unless you are being coached to round your shoulders by someone -  you show good but not dynamic posture in some of your shots - in others the posture seems weak to me...

hands -   learn to be aware of them and employ them elegantly

you're doing pretty well with your eyes though I don't always believe the look - when looking in the direction of the camera either look very close or look away - a look slightly away is less dynamic. If you look at the camera - look *through* it -   the plane of focus is near the photographer's face behind the camera.  If you "look short" the look is soft

I would love to see more variety in your expressiveness and in your use of your eyes to create mood -  a "look away" that is really focused draws interest, a "look away" that is soft creates a lovely mood....

Thank you very much!  Yeah...posture is a problem.  Working on it!  Thanks for the guidelines on hands.  I get a lot of direction to put my hands by my face.  Need to work on what I'm doing with them!  Really appreciate your time.  Hope you have a great New Year's holiday!

Dec 28 12 07:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


Ann77 wrote:
Thank you very much!  Yeah...posture is a problem.  Working on it!  Thanks for the guidelines on hands.  I get a lot of direction to put my hands by my face.  Need to work on what I'm doing with them!  Really appreciate your time.  Hope you have a great New Year's holiday!

I wish you the best of luck with your modeling -  happiness and success in 2013 - Cheers

Dec 28 12 07:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Demetra D
Posts: 1,133
New York, New York, US


I would love a critique from you!
Dec 28 12 07:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


bw fotograf wrote:

awesome critique! :-)

all of the points you touch upon are things i don't like about those images when looking back. admittedly, I don't know what the fuck i'm doing most of the time and rely far too much on presets in LR to process my images. histograms don't make sense to me and what appears to be a "good" histogram is a boring image to me.

i will continue to work on this and not stress about it since i'm just doing it for personal, artistic growth. i think my self-portrait is absolutely the best thing i've done, but i don't know if that lighting and processing approach will be appealing on a female subject. should i focus on portraiture and drop this fashion pursuit i have in my head?

thanks!
brad

Well -  I agree about not stressing - but there is little satisfaction without feeling as though you are progressing, are exploring, are pushing yourself a bit - this is true for the very best photographers and models as well -

as far as your portraiture approach, have a look at the work of a good friend who is an intern at our studio and about to graduate with his Bachelors in Arts -

http://www.modelmayhem.com/2562977

now let me give you a hint -

see my avatar? 

This was shot with one light -   a  10 x 36" strip box, on a boom,  at about a 60 degree down angle,  very close over the model's right shoulder......  this degree of shadowing may be a bit more than you would like -   but notice the dimensionality and depth.....     so a suggestion -   do not let your hit your model from the same direction that your lens is pointing -   keep it "off axis" by at least 60 degrees...... and see what happens....

give up on fashion?  Not at all -   but at this point I would not worry about genre as much as about finding a personal style that produces the toning contrast detail and depth that you really want -

good fashion lighting is one of the most difficult things -  the sort of light that pops textures and details on couture can be very tough on a model -  balancing that can be a challenge - so don't give up on the idea - just get your game on first

Cheers

Dec 28 12 07:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


Vanisa Dimitrova wrote:
I would love a critique from you!

you are currently fifth in line smile  you will definitely receive a critique -  Cheers

Dec 28 12 07:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Darin B
Posts: 998
San Diego, California, US


Yes please!
Dec 28 12 08:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


Babalon Salome wrote:
Let me have it.

hello Babalon Salome -  you have a very well written and attractive profile.  As far as pale skin, I'll match you a good llama friend of mine - Rhus - who calls herself a "human reflector" smile

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28544140
this is a smashing look - your eyes are really selling it here - this makes a superb avatar - the colour is attractive in this respect as well

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#15712893
lovely, direct, intense

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#21465938
the raised chin here is not working for me - in my minds eye, I can see this shot with your head level, and turned a bit more toward the camera - I think this would have been a more dynamic look

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#23004893
this is a cool concept shot -  however I am really big on posture -  maybe its due to my practice of Yoga -  but I think that really good posture is always elegant....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#28350357
super lines and curves with this pose - with one issue -  this would be much stronger if you were not leaning flat on your left hand, but perhaps had the fingers somewhat steepled with your palm not in contact with the surface, and were resting on your fingertips a bit.  Yes I know it's hard.  And you know that llamaing is hard work smile

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#23609715
a favourite of  mine -  just sayin'

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#25027083
love the mood here

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#20344162
this is just about smashing - the right arm and hand position takes a bit away -  would have been much lovelier with the right hand elegantly touching the side of the couch....

in sum
you choose your portfolio images well - 

you do wonderful things with your eyes, usually - 

the tilt of the head is an issue here and there - chin up almost never really works especially with a profile or turned head - 

posture is an issue in a few of your shots

you do elegant things with your hands - mostly -  in the few cases where you have not it is really noticeable, so this is a consistency issue

super portfolio

Dec 28 12 08:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


The Phoenix Blue wrote:
I need some critique on my new photos

Hello The Phoenix Blue -

I see that you have been with MM for about a year.  Your profile is a nice read as well as being professional and providing all of the necessary details....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 2#31051532
your eyes looking down (in terms of the frame) - if you had been looking straight up from your position this would have been better.  The curled left hand are detracting here.   Please see my discussion on "elegant hands" throughout my critique thread.  Eyes and Hands are the details that make or break many a shot...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 2#31051520
the disappearing right arm is a bit disconcerting here -  an elegant hand position visible on your right hip would have been an improvement...  Also - bent knees or elbows pointing any where near directly toward the camera are always inelegant

in sum

avoid bent elbows and knees pointing near the camera

practice good posture in your posing

use your hands and eyes a bit better - 

you don't have to look at the camera all the time -  if you look away, however, either create a soft moody look, or be really focusing on something.  Avoid looking up down or sideways to a degree that looks unnatural

Dec 28 12 09:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Leone P
Posts: 515
Batley, England, United Kingdom


Fotografica Gregor wrote:

Hello Leone P -

I like your profile - you describe your interests well, and realistically. It is an engaging read.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30947283
like the look, the style, the vibe - but knees pointed at the camera are a big no-no...  bent knees need to be seriously considered - not always "wrong" but used sparingly  -  re-imagine this with your legs stretched elegantly instead........

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30921937
super lovely -  but -  to avoid neck roll, extend the line of your neck and shoulder by lowering the shoulders -  and this would be prettier with more elegant hand positions -  please see my discussion with other models in this thread on this topic....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30947280
very lovely but for the hand positions - elegant hands -  straight but not stiff,  fingers spread a bit, pretend touching your hair with your left hand in this instance, would raise the quality of this image considerably.....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30921957
very lovely - sure would like to see those pretty blue eyes looking at the camera in this shot - and am wondering what happened to half of your right hand..... 

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30922013
this is lovely - very nicely considered and composed - nice pose and look

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#30947303
this is pretty - elegant use of hands would improve it -  I'm not quite sold on your posture either -  posture is your friend -  I highly recommend at least some acquaintance with Yoga for models - *not* health-club yoga or yoga-size - the real thing -  to develop graceful and dynamic posture and presence....

in sum -

you could be doing better things with your hands, your eyes, your posture

please do not point bent elbows or knees within at least 45* of the camera

I hope to see you working with better photographers -  some but not all of your images are holding you back a bit -  I can't comment much on that here due to forum rules so that's all I will say on that subject....

Thankyou so much for your critique! I will most definitely take note and ensure my next shoots are more elegant.
I would love to hear more if you could message me! Xx

Dec 29 12 04:37 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Babalon Salome
Posts: 3,499
Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany


Fotografica Gregor wrote:
the tilt of the head is an issue here and there - chin up almost never really works especially with a profile or turned head - 

posture is an issue in a few of your shots

you do elegant things with your hands - mostly -  in the few cases where you have not it is really noticeable, so this is a consistency issue

super portfolio

Thank you so much, that was a very helpful critique!

Dec 29 12 07:56 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


MaryCeleste  wrote:
I always appreciate any advice you have to give smile

Hi MaryCeleste smile

It's going to be tough doing critique for one of my very favourite models and people.....     

probably the only thing I don't like about your profile is that we're not "MM friends" lol   -   it is well written, very descriptive, and gives all of the information anyone should need to make an informed decision about working with you....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30974370
love the mood -  not really crazy about the curled left hand here -  a more elegant hand position would add a fair bit to this -    there is plenty of discussion about elegant hands in this thread  but basically I'm talking about hands that are open, nearly straight and elegantly used -  touching of the couture skin or hair should in most cases be "pretend" touching....   

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#31088379
elegant pose

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#31088353
you see it all the time,  from many of the best models - but I am not a fan of elbows pointed at the camera.... re-imagine this shot exactly as it is but with the right elbow pointed at least 60* away from the camera and you will see a much more elegant line.....    the look and mood in this shot is otherwise sublime

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#30974369
I think that an over the should look works better with the chin level, or a  bit lowered

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#30276759
this is brilliant - one of my very favourites of you - and my vote for avatar

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#28225942
love the mood - this is one of the shots that sold me on bringing you in for our first shoot - the series of conceptual beauty shots for guaranteed publication - which should be out soon lol

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#29966872
I need to start a list called "Sublime Mary Celeste Poses" -  this one needs to be there along with close to half of your portfolio

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#30276848
smashing look - the right hand is elegantly employed even though not "open" due to what you are doing with your fingers - the left hand is detracting in this respect....   

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#29966886
smashing, right down to the pointed toes

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#24768813
this is so lovely -  would have loved a more elegant left hand position, and to see your right hand nicely used as well, instead of disappearing behind your body

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#29965057
another of the shots that really sold me on shooting beauty work with you - what an elegant look

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#29426513
very lovely -  the right elbow is down enough to work,  the hands could be just a touch better

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#29426676
smashing shot

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28225907
astounding look - your hands work well here because of the way you are using your fingers

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29951718
this is amazing and one of my favourites of yours - love the lines, the mood

in sum
your work is generally, consistently amazing with respect to posing and mood, the way you use your eyes to communicate, and most often with your posture and the way you angle your head in your poses

there are a couple of chin lifts where they don't work

you do some really elegant things with your hands - most of the time - when you don't it's really noticeable, because of the standard you set in the bulk of your work

not a fan of elbows pointed near the camera - you don't do it often though - also not a fan of a pointed elbow breaking up an otherwise lovely flowing outline

smashing portfolio -

Dec 29 12 10:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


Dark Star Images wrote:
Let me have it ! The good the bad and the ugly.... wink

Hello Dark Star Images -

I see that you have recently joined us on Model Mayhem, and that you consider yourself to be an experienced photographer.   Your profile is actually a bit flippant for the more experienced models to take seriously but should work fine if you are just trying to connect with local girls for fun shoots.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31051018
nice idea - but the overall tones are really muddy, the skin tones are way off - probably a white balance issue there

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 8#31050999
the skin tones again are an issue - the light hitting your model is very flat and unflattering.  The background is not sharp but there is detail -  you need to be more decisive with depth of field - either blur the background to pop your model, or use light to pop your model and have a sharp background especially with this genre of shot

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 8#31050971
same comment as above but the background focus / DOF is a bit better - still not there though

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 8#31050969
this is a little more interesting at least from the perspective that as rendered the white balance problem is not so much an issue -  but the contrast ratios are not pleasing

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 8#31033191
nicest pose so far in your port -  very nice perspective and composition here - best in port in this respect so far -  whatever you are lighting your model with is again very flat and uninteresting.   The degree of background detail works here.  You are starting to look like a one trick pony though

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 8#31029714
a bit better model direction would have been good - a photographer really needs to know how to coach models....   the skin tones and white balance are off but it is a nice perspective and composition. The highlights on the model's body make this a more interesting shot in terms of light.....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 8#31023354
nice pose and silhouette exposure - the tones and contrast are a bit much -  the perspective would have been more elegant coming from more of an angle but it is a nice shot

we need to get away from these sort of shots and see what else you can do.....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30944708
really need to direct your model better - the chin / neck position is really bad.  The perspective is nice but the static composition is boring -  you almost never want a vertical subject isolated in the middle of the frame - study up on the rule of thirds and the golden ratios and use them until you learn how and why to break them....  This shot is really flat and uninteresting.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30942207
this is a nice shot - a bit better model direction with respect to the tilt of her head....  and I'm sure she is not that yellow - skin tones and white balance matter....  you've also got her isolated in the centre of the frame which is a very boring composition

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30882127
this shot shows promise but the saturation is really overdone and the white balance is out of kilter. 

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30882086
she how much better this shot would have been if you had your model farther to the left of the frame with only a bit of the brick wall showing.....


in sum -
you call yourself experienced but you need to go back to school.   Photography is not as easy as pointing a camera on program mode in auto white balance with a built in flash at a model.  Unless you're in it to pick up girls.....

you really need to learn the most basic things -

off camera lighting
white balance
colour saturation
skin tones
depth of field and focus points
rules of composition and perspective
model direction

if you master these, you would rate as having "some experience".

If you are serious about what you are doing, feel free to come back in six months for a progress check up.....

Dec 29 12 11:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


Vanisa Dimitrova wrote:
I would love a critique from you!

Hello Vanisa Dimitrova

you have a very friendly and concise profile which provides all of the information a professional would need to make a decision about working with you. I see you've been on MM since 2008.  And your avatar is delightful....   getting ready to look at your images, I am put in mind to expect good things.....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31096333
very lovely look and good way to introduce yourself in your portfolio - I'm not totally sold on the hand position but it pretty much works.  Great use of your eyes here, lovely understated smile, love the mood

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#31096312
this shot goes beyond being technically brilliant in terms of your modeling - it makes me happy. 

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#31097046
nice fashion pose -  your chin is just on its way to being lifted to high but does not quite get there -  if your photographer was shooting you from a more proper / lower perspective for a standing pose, this chin lift would be too high...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#31096280
smashing - this shot illustrates and exception to my usual rant about "posture" - pulling the camera side shoulder forward is proper on an over the shoulder look - very nice angle of your head position here - nicely done

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#31097330
lovely and direct look - this is a very elegant way to use your hands.....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31096255
this is wonderful....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/8738685
wonderful look-away - lovely mood - would like to see more of this

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/10653627
the combination of perspective / lifted chin / head tilted away from the camera does not work well

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/8739632
love the look, the mood, the style -  don't love the curled left hand.....

in sum
I really like your work and the personality you show in so much of it

you are doing good things with your eyes very consistently

you are doing good things with the angle of your chin and head most of the time - but not sometimes

you do some very elegant things with your hands -  but sometimes you do some  inelegant things -  mostly an issue in your more full length shots

I'd love to see more shots aimed at creating a softer or darker mood

I'd love to see more full length shots - I don't really have a good basis here from critiquing your posing overall -

I like your portfolio....

Dec 29 12 11:28 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Demetra D
Posts: 1,133
New York, New York, US


Fotografica Gregor wrote:

Hello Vanisa Dimitrova

you have a very friendly and concise profile which provides all of the information a professional would need to make a decision about working with you. I see you've been on MM since 2008.  And your avatar is delightful....   getting ready to look at your images, I am put in mind to expect good things.....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31096333
very lovely look and good way to introduce yourself in your portfolio - I'm not totally sold on the hand position but it pretty much works.  Great use of your eyes here, lovely understated smile, love the mood

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#31096312
this shot goes beyond being technically brilliant in terms of your modeling - it makes me happy. 

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#31097046
nice fashion pose -  your chin is just on its way to being lifted to high but does not quite get there -  if your photographer was shooting you from a more proper / lower perspective for a standing pose, this chin lift would be too high...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#31096280
smashing - this shot illustrates and exception to my usual rant about "posture" - pulling the camera side shoulder forward is proper on an over the shoulder look - very nice angle of your head position here - nicely done

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#31097330
lovely and direct look - this is a very elegant way to use your hands.....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31096255
this is wonderful....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/8738685
wonderful look-away - lovely mood - would like to see more of this

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/10653627
the combination of perspective / lifted chin / head tilted away from the camera does not work well

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/8739632
love the look, the mood, the style -  don't love the curled left hand.....

in sum
I really like your work and the personality you show in so much of it

you are doing good things with your eyes very consistently

you are doing good things with the angle of your chin and head most of the time - but not sometimes

you do some very elegant things with your hands -  but sometimes you do some  inelegant things -  mostly an issue in your more full length shots

I'd love to see more shots aimed at creating a softer or darker mood

I'd love to see more full length shots - I don't really have a good basis here from critiquing your posing overall -

I like your portfolio....

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a fantastic detailed critique!! smile And thank you for all the advice! I will definitely take it! Thank you again!

Dec 29 12 12:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


Vanisa Dimitrova wrote:
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a fantastic detailed critique!! smile And thank you for all the advice! I will definitely take it! Thank you again!

It is my pleasure -  I very much enjoyed your portfolio - and from a purely selfish perspective, I too learn from seeing others work and from doing the serious thinking necessary to provide what I hope is a quality critique -

love to work with you someday

Cheers

Dec 29 12 01:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Christine J Summers
Posts: 12
Amherst, Massachusetts, US


If you would, please take a look at my work and give any critique. Even a brutal beatdown will help me learn smile
Dec 29 12 10:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
C J Wright
Posts: 32
Los Angeles, California, US


new to the game and would love a critique smile
Dec 30 12 02:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
my_other_profile
Posts: 666
Ankeny, Iowa, US


Fotografica Gregor wrote:

Hello my_other_profile smile

I see that you are a very good model who is not that active anymore and is now working the other side of the camera.  Your work with a camera shows promise here and there.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30651745
snapshot - but a nice one -  nice perspective and tones

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 5#11323214
interesting editorial.....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 5#10550518
this is lovely - super light perspective and mood

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 5#10550494
this had potential but the contrast ratios are killing the shot -  some scrim to block or filter the sun,  or a flash or reflector to fill shadows was called for

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 45#9448270
interesting perspective

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 45#9448188
nicely lit but perhaps over exposed, nicely composed

in sum
I can't tell how serious you are about doing this from your port - I can say that it would be worth putting some effort in - you have a decent eye for it - but really need to learn the technical fundamentals.....

Thank you smile smile

Dec 30 12 12:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Kelly Ann Carter
Posts: 92
Hollywood, Florida, US


And me?
Dec 30 12 04:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


Kelly Ann Carter wrote:
And me?

Hi Kelly Ann Carter -

you have already posted in this thread on page three and received a critique on page 5

Cheers

Dec 30 12 06:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Square Pixel LLC
Posts: 762
Salt Lake City, Utah, US


If your still going smile
Dec 30 12 07:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Mandee87
Posts: 7
Machesney Park, Illinois, US


Would love to hear your thoughts... what do you like, what can I improve on... ANYTHING!!
Dec 30 12 07:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Elena Antonia Pappas
Posts: 663
Miami, Florida, US


ME...Please:)
Dec 30 12 08:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 3,973
Alexandria, Virginia, US


Darin B wrote:
Yes please!

Hello Darin B   

I do generally wish to see a bit more meat in one's profile,  but what is there is interesting....   

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29315536
this and the two other in the series are gorgeous - superb toning and I like the way you feature textures so well. 

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#29315522
on this one I do think that if the subject was placed more to the right of the frame the composition would have been a bit more dynamic

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#29037754
this and the other in the series are uber cool - 

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#28677222
the elbow toward the camera is a bit jarring here -  I like her expression - I'm not getting everything other than her face being out of focus or blurred - but that's just me

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#28677229
I really like the pose, the mood, the rich tones - but am not getting what you are doing with focus or blur -  it's probably me being artistically challenged....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#28677234
this is elegantly done - very nice perspective

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#28677245
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#28677260
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#25912076
gorgeous body scape -  adore the mood -

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#25164515
smashing

I really like your underwater work

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 4#12967929
is a gorgeous story


here is a conundrum -   I am an artistically challenged technician -  and you are an artist.  I'm admittedly not 'getting' a little bit of what you do or why you do it -   but I admire your work....

My goal in critique is to be helpful -  and I'm not seeing anything in your work that needs my help really lol -   it was a pleasure spending time with your portfolio though and I think you for throwing your  hat in the ring....

Dec 31 12 06:20 am  Link  Quote 
first345678910last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers