login info join!
This thread was locked on 2013-05-03 07:39:08. Reason: Continued political debate after mod warning. This is not SB.
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Flag Etiquette. Search   Reply
123last
Photographer
Cinegenic Images
Posts: 1
Los Angeles, California, US


It seems more and more people are always hanging or using the American flag improper.
Please spread the word to inform those who are unfamiliar. 

http://www.flagandbannersupply.com/text … e_pg.2.jpg

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html
Apr 30 13 08:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
me voy
Posts: 1,033
Amherst, Massachusetts, US


Wrong forum. Put it in the off-topic discussion.
Apr 30 13 08:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Broughton
Posts: 2,220
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


first post? check
wrong forum? check
conformist preoccupation with fetishized patriotic symbology? check
well done sir.

http://flagburningworld.com/
Apr 30 13 09:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 7,108
New York, New York, US


Michael Broughton wrote:
first post? check
wrong forum? check
conformist preoccupation with fetishized patriotic symbology? check
well done sir.

http://flagburningworld.com/

big_smile Well said!

Apr 30 13 09:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kevin Connery
Posts: 16,796
El Segundo, California, US


Moderator Note!
Moved.
Apr 30 13 09:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Thomas Sellberg
Posts: 140
Bloomington, Illinois, US


Atleast someone else sees these issues... However I have been found in violation myself as I own a flag shirt. But as someone who took any oath to defend this great nation and as a patriot I feel that the wearing of such a shirt in appropriate times should not be a violation.
Apr 30 13 09:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 27,736
Laguna Beach, California, US


i've forgotten to hang the flag vertically with the stars on the left side occasionally. it just looks wrong to me. i would just assume move it clockwise from its horizontal position.
Apr 30 13 09:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kincaid Blackwood
Posts: 23,348
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Thomas Sellberg wrote:
Atleast someone else sees these issues... However I have been found in violation myself as I own a flag shirt. But as someone who took any oath to defend this great nation and as a patriot I feel that the wearing of such a shirt in appropriate times should not be a violation.

Do you own a shirt that was made out of a flag or do you own a shirt that depicts the flag. I suspect it is the latter and you are, therefore, not in violation of the (not enforceable guidelines called the) flag code.

Apr 30 13 09:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lohkee
Posts: 12,296
Maricopa, Arizona, US


We flew a yellow flag with three red bars on it today. Some will understand why, others will not. Oh well.
Apr 30 13 09:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 27,736
Laguna Beach, California, US


Lohkee wrote:
We flew a yellow flag with three red bars on it today. Some will understand why, others will not. Oh well.

dude, i'm ten minutes from garden grove, i know why you did.

Apr 30 13 09:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
What Fun Productions
Posts: 20,192
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Michael Broughton wrote:
first post? check
wrong forum? check
conformist preoccupation with fetishized patriotic symbology? check
well done sir.

http://flagburningworld.com/

Rude.

May 01 13 08:04 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Will Snizek Photography
Posts: 1,387
Beckley, West Virginia, US


Half of my neighborhood flies American flags in front of their homes.  I fly a bright yellow flag with a smiley face on it in front of mine.  smile  I'm a veteran and patriotic but I just don't like flag worshipping and you'd never catch me pledging my allegiance to the flag.  Our founding fathers would probably be right there with me on this topic.
May 01 13 08:21 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A Preppy Photography
Posts: 322
San Jose, California, US


Will Snizek wrote:
Half of my neighborhood flies American flags in front of their homes.  I fly a bright yellow flag with a smiley face on it in front of mine.  smile  I'm a veteran and patriotic but I just don't like flag worshipping and you'd never catch me pledging my allegiance to the flag.  Our founding fathers would probably be right there with me on this topic.

Right there with you (my grandfather served in the US Army and Airforce, survived Bataan). The flag is a representation of something bigger, not something one should be forced to kow-tow to. Around here, it's not uncommon for people in oversize pick-up trucks to set-up one or two masts in their bed to fly ol' Red, White, & Blue. I get it - you're a patriot and have pride for our country.

BUT, I feel it does more disrespect to these flags, gunning down freeways so frequently that they still fly all tattered. Unless your pick-up has seen battle (most I've seen look like they're ready/waiting for it), take it down if you drive over 50mph or replace it when it starts to show bad wear.

May 01 13 08:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Broughton
Posts: 2,220
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


What Fun Productions wrote:

Rude.

i think complaining about a perceived lack of proper flag etiquette in a PHOTOGRAPHY forum is rude (and a few other less polite adjectives).

May 01 13 08:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
I Ference Photography
Posts: 1,152
Rochester, New York, US


How do you like MY flag etiquette?

https://plus.google.com/photos/11143392 … 0960254466

http://www.ianferencephoto.com/octoflag.jpg
May 01 13 08:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
What Fun Productions
Posts: 20,192
Phoenix, Arizona, US


I Ference Photography wrote:
How do you like MY flag etiquette?

Heavy man, heavy.

May 01 13 10:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
rfordphotos
Posts: 4,710
Antioch, California, US


I Ference Photography wrote:
How do you like MY flag etiquette?

I dont.

But, as a US veteran, I took an oath to defend your right to see the flag however you choose, to depict it however you choose.

It is a piece of fabric.

To many of us, it is symbolic of the hopes for a better world.

It means other things to other people. I can live with that.

May 01 13 10:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 27,736
Laguna Beach, California, US


I Ference Photography wrote:
How do you like MY flag etiquette?

at least resize it to the forum rules there, uri.

May 01 13 10:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
I Ference Photography
Posts: 1,152
Rochester, New York, US


rfordphotos wrote:

I dont.

But, as a US veteran, I took an oath to defend your right to see the flag however you choose, to depict it however you choose.

It is a piece of fabric.

To many of us, it is symbolic of the hopes for a better world.

It means other things to other people. I can live with that.

Thank you for your service.  And for your rationality.

It just so happens that I don't like any national flags.  Not ours, and not those of other nations.  By their very nature, they represent divisiveness - a sense of nationalism, of national superiority.  If we could get out of that mindset, and see ourselves as part of the world instead of as Americans or Somalians or French or British, we could stop bickering over minutiae and work together for a better future.

And that, to me, is more symbolic of hopes for a better world than any piece of cloth.  Especially one that's treated as a sacred symbol.

May 01 13 10:42 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kincaid Blackwood
Posts: 23,348
Atlanta, Georgia, US


I Ference Photography wrote:
How do you like MY flag etiquette?

The left to right scrolling you've caused in this thread is rude and offensive.

May 01 13 10:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
I Ference Photography
Posts: 1,152
Rochester, New York, US


Kincaid Blackwood wrote:

The left to right scrolling you've caused in this thread is rude and offensive.

What can I say, my art aims to provoke.

May 01 13 10:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
What Fun Productions
Posts: 20,192
Phoenix, Arizona, US


GK photo wrote:

at least resize it to the forum rules there, uri.

He doesn't believe in borders or rules.

May 01 13 10:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 27,478
Dearborn, Michigan, US


I Ference Photography wrote:

Thank you for your service.  And for your rationality.

It just so happens that I don't like any national flags.  Not ours, and not those of other nations.  By their very nature, they represent divisiveness - a sense of nationalism, of national superiority.  If we could get out of that mindset, and see ourselves as part of the world instead of as Americans or Somalians or French or British, we could stop bickering over minutiae and work together for a better future.

And that, to me, is more symbolic of hopes for a better world than any piece of cloth.  Especially one that's treated as a sacred symbol.

Utopia!  This will never happen.

May 01 13 10:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
I Ference Photography
Posts: 1,152
Rochester, New York, US


What Fun Productions wrote:

He doesn't believe in borders or rules.

If there's a piece of code I can slip in between my IMG tags to fix this, let me know.  Otherwise, not much I can do - I only have it hosted at G+, and it's hosted at that size.

May 01 13 10:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
I Ference Photography
Posts: 1,152
Rochester, New York, US


Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Utopia!  This will never happen.

Not as long as people keep saying "this will never happen".

May 01 13 10:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
K E E L I N G
Posts: 39,777
Peoria, Illinois, US


Michael Broughton wrote:
first post? check
wrong forum? check
conformist preoccupation with fetishized patriotic symbology? check
well done sir.

http://flagburningworld.com/

Typical self proclaimed free spirit who can't resist the urge to display his self perceived superior intellect despite no apparent reason for it..... check.

May 01 13 10:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 27,478
Dearborn, Michigan, US


I Ference Photography wrote:

If there's a piece of code I can slip in between my IMG tags to fix this, let me know.  Otherwise, not much I can do - I only have it hosted at G+, and it's hosted at that size.

The image is too large.

May 01 13 10:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Andialu
Posts: 14,029
San Pedro, California, US


I Ference Photography wrote:

If there's a piece of code I can slip in between my IMG tags to fix this, let me know.  Otherwise, not much I can do - I only have it hosted at G+, and it's hosted at that size.

Then just supply the link instead of embedding the image?

May 01 13 10:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 27,478
Dearborn, Michigan, US


I Ference Photography wrote:

Not as long as people keep saying "this will never happen".

It's not that simple!

May 01 13 10:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 27,736
Laguna Beach, California, US


I Ference Photography wrote:

What can I say, my art aims to provoke.

no, you're just inept at resizing photos.

May 01 13 10:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
K E E L I N G
Posts: 39,777
Peoria, Illinois, US


I Ference Photography wrote:
What can I say, my art aims to provoke.
GK photo wrote:
no, you're just inept at resizing photos.

lol

May 01 13 10:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 27,736
Laguna Beach, California, US


I Ference Photography wrote:
If there's a piece of code I can slip in between my IMG tags to fix this, let me know.  Otherwise, not much I can do - I only have it hosted at G+, and it's hosted at that size.

yes, insert this piece of code:

D R I N K  M O R E  O V A L T I N E

May 01 13 10:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
I Ference Photography
Posts: 1,152
Rochester, New York, US


GK photo wrote:

no, you're just inept at resizing photos.

Ad hominem attacks - you're so clever.  I couldn't resize the version I had linked, but I threw a new version up on my server, clever boy.

May 01 13 10:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
I Ference Photography
Posts: 1,152
Rochester, New York, US


Jerry Nemeth wrote:

It's not that simple!

Sure it is.  It won't happen overnight, but think globally instead of nationalistically, and encourage others to do likewise, and it'll happen some number of generations from now.

May 01 13 10:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 27,736
Laguna Beach, California, US


I Ference Photography wrote:
Ad hominem attacks - you're so clever.  I couldn't resize the version I had linked, but I threw a new version up on my server, clever boy.

as already mentioned, you could just link it, but i hardly think that's the effect you're going for, correct?

May 01 13 10:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B R U N E S C I
Posts: 25,319
Bath, England, United Kingdom


Who cares? It's just a piece of material.

I really don't understand why Americans get so worked up over this. If somebody was to take a Union Jack and burn it or wrap it around a huge phallus, or any other crazy 'disrespectful' thing I wouldn't give a damn. It's a piece of material FFS!




Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com
May 01 13 10:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
I Ference Photography
Posts: 1,152
Rochester, New York, US


-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
Who cares? It's just a piece of material.

I really don't understand why Americans get so worked up over this. If somebody was to take a Union Jack and burn it or wrap it around a huge phallus, or any other crazy 'disrespectful' thing I wouldn't give a damn. It's a piece of material FFS!

This.

May 01 13 11:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 27,736
Laguna Beach, California, US


i don't think anyone is getting offended other than by the size of the photo.
May 01 13 11:05 am  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
sdgillis
Posts: 2,434
Portland, Oregon, US


ya really important to respect a symbol now commonly made in China.
May 01 13 11:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Andialu
Posts: 14,029
San Pedro, California, US


GK photo wrote:
i don't think anyone is getting offended other than by the size of the photo.

Don't burst his bubble. Let him think he's being a provocateur. lol

May 01 13 11:06 am  Link  Quote 
123last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers