Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Race, modeling and Americas choices.

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

Mack and Winn live in the 8th Ward - one of the poorest and worst-hit neighborhoods - where the 4-foot-high floodwaters have not receded much. Yesterday they sat among their remaining supplies and explained why they have not taken the opportunity to leave.

"We're afraid because we've been hearing about people being killed and raped in the Superdome and Convention Center," said Winn, an associate at a Pizza Hut.

The couple also must care for her uncle Claude Ellzey, 70, who uses a wheelchair because of a stroke. Her aunt Ruth Ellzey, 63, is a frail diabetic who is quickly running out of insulin shots. Then Winn points to a little beige poodle/terrier mix named Toby.

"We can't leave him - they won't take pets on those buses leaving town," she said.

Mack, a mechanic, insists he can survive with his family for six weeks on the supplies brought to him by "those Robin Hoods."

"The majority of looters weren't looting for the hell of it, they came out and passed out the food," he said. "Don't worry, I'll survive."

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/ … 3261c.html

Sep 05 05 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I will agree that racism is still alive and unfortunately it's being fed by both black and whites and everyone in between.
I've asked some black co-workers why they speak the way they do instead of trying to speak proper English and they answered that I was a racist and didn't understand their culture because if I wasn't I'd try to understand and learn the way they speak. I tried to tell them that this was against the teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King (education, self-respect, respect for others) and they told me not to even say his name because I had no idea what he was about. Unfortunately a lot of blacks have taken the distortions Jesse Jackson (the world owes me beause I'm black) made of Dr. King's dream and have accpted them as Dr. King's dream and they are wrong.
This whole distorted dream is being spread and made acceptable by all the rap and hip-hop artists who glamourize violence and hate... all that "gangsta" stuff is eroding at, and destroying, the image of black people as intelligent, socially conscious and responsible people... because it makes it seem acceptable for kids to grow up being that way and so they do.
I've also been called a racist by whites when I criticize their glamourization of destructive behaviour in death-metal and other music. Again I was told I just didn't understand what it's all about "because I haven't lived as a white man".
I don't think skin color has anyting to do with understanding songs that glamorize violent behaviour and call it "righteous" just because the person saying the words feels society owes them something.
I am Mexican, and have faced discrimination because I "should go back to where I came from" despite the fact that I am a naturalized American Citizen, Have Apache and Aztec blood which make me Native American of the AZ-NM area, and despite the treaty that was signed when AZ TX NM CA NV were "bought" by the US... a treaty that said all Mexican nationals would always have free passage and the ability to work and protection by the law from those that would abuse them without the need for "visas" or "green cards". Instead we are being persecuted and even shot fro trying to find a job and improve our family's economic situation. My family came to the US legally looking for a better life and education for us kids... but not everyone has the resources to do this and if that treaty was being honored they wouldn't have to jump through all the hoops we had to just to find a better life.

As to the news reports, yes they are stilted... a lot more than you noticed. They call black people taking things looters and they only show the ones taking TVs, radios, stealing racks of expensive clothes. When they show whites they call them resourceful and only show the ones taking food, water, drinks, medicine and other necessities that will save their lives. But remember that this wouldn't be possible if they weren't doing it, so the people doing this are partly at fault for portraying this image.

If we want to be valued as a people, we have to act as people and not animals. We have to always think of the greater good of society as a whole and not just look out for "my people" or "my borthers" because when we do that we are perpetratig racism and separatism. Once everyone recognizes that there is only one race, the *human* race, then racism will have no place to live.

Sep 05 05 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Notice I've said Black folks are not blameless in this.
I've lived in the 'hood' and believe me I'm
not afraid of White folks coming in  my area and
robbing me.  Its people who look like me I've
had the most trouble with.  I've been robbed
at gun point by one of my brothers.
My home was broken in by one of my brothers
and I don't mean a person related to me.
We have allowed ourselves to accept a singer
who seems to prey on underage girls ,superstar
staus.  We allow our young women to appear
in video after video with booty's shaking and
fingers snaping.{not that I don't like a big booty}
but almost every video?
We have lost our value for education and replaced
it with sports and rap music.
We continue to view ourselves as victims and most
White people as racist, which simply isn't true.
Many Black men have no contact with their children
and so many grow up with no love, respect for others
and themselves. 
Much of this has come from a country where the dollar
has more value then human life.

With all this said.
I will ask.  Quick, name five Black writers.
Name three that own well known bussiness
Name one that runs a nation.
Anywhere in Africa will do.
hard, huh?
Unless its a singer a rapper a movie star
a sports figure you really can't.
Now thats sad for everybody.

Sep 05 05 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

studiomona

Tony Lawrence wrote:
With all this said.
hard, huh?

I have asked myself that question. Why is it hard to name 5 or 3...
Ask (insert politically correct word here to denote the "target audience" of your question).
Ask yourself too.
Ask anybody. Ask everybody.
Ask our government..... everyone in it. Ask.
Then, Listen to the answers and come up with a solution so we can stop perpetuating the problem.
Enough blaming. We need actions.

Sep 05 05 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

NV Style Group wrote:

Because it is!!!

If you don't know about Louisiana then you dont know nothing about how black people are treated there, I talked to a victim of Katrina the other day and she told me that white people here in Houston are extremely nicer than those in New Orleans, she said that white people there treat poor black people like dirt and talk to them crazy....I'm from Louisiana so I know how they are, one thing I can say about Louisiana white folk they got NUTS, they will call you a N*GGA to your damn face and fight your azz too!!!! And I have witness this...
Going to New Orleans is like a time warp, things are totally different, the first time I went I had a culture shock, I wasnt used to being treated like a 2nd class citizen, I havent been back since.

But it will always be about race, no matter how you try and sugar coat it...people just dont want to face, they think we live in this world of peace and harmony and no hate, but it will never be that way especially in the south.......research Vidor Texas and see how many blk people live there....NONE.....thx to the Klan

You ever been to Vidor?...  the Klan did blacks a favor by keeping them out of that shit hole housing project. Let them keep that turd pile called Vidor...

Sep 05 05 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

aye provide wrote:
And  lets get real folks  a dead black man in Texas courtesy of drivers, rope, and a pick up truck  should remind us racism is not dead.

Let's get real folks.. a white man attacked by four thugs because he was driving down the wrong street at the wrong time... should remind us racism is not dead.

Sep 05 05 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Model Sarah wrote:
https://www.upstandingfuckingcitizens.org/thatsracist.gif

Sorry but its true.

Hmm the black man seemed to have a whole lot in that bag, wonder if it was just food? Can't eat watches, jewlery, TVs, CD or anything of that nature can you?

Sep 05 05 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

Mike Cummings wrote:
Hmm the black man seemed to have a whole lot in that bag, wonder if it was just food? Can't eat watches, jewlery, TVs, CD or anything of that nature can you?

Mack, a mechanic, insists he can survive with his family for six weeks on the supplies brought to him by "those Robin Hoods."

"The majority of looters weren't looting for the hell of it, they came out and passed out the food," he said. "Don't worry, I'll survive."

hey mike, tv's dont float.
let it go already.
peace, q

Sep 05 05 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
With all this said.

Nathan Mccall
Maya Angelou
Terry McMillen
Fredrick Douglas
Bobby Seale
H.Rap brown
Oprah Winfrey

Shall I continue? I've done a nice mix of old and new wink

Attorney Willie Gary
Spike Lee
Oprah Winfrey

Patrice Lumumba

Not sure if you meant living or dead
hard, huh?

It's not sad fo rme. I'm very proud of Africans and Africans born here in America. It doesnt hurt that I have a degree in African History, but you didn't single anyone out, you put the challenge up hehe.

The beautiful thing about this is none of my answers were google'd, they're off the top of my head. As a child (read 16) I decided it was in my best interest to learn my history, as much as learning American history. I find it funny as I've been labled a  "Militant" and strong minded, and those same people who know my wife, says her and her family are "Proud to be of German Heritiage"

Sep 05 05 01:23 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Mike Cummings wrote:

Let's get real folks.. a white man attacked by four thugs because he was driving down the wrong street at the wrong time... should remind us racism is not dead.

Once again Massah I be powerful thankful to  you for reminding me of these things...... so powerful happy

Sep 05 05 01:28 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

qphotonyc wrote:

let it go already.
peace, q

Luv you to death q  smile

Sep 05 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

qphotonyc wrote:

let it go already.
peace, q

Jeans don't float either. https://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050830/capt.laeg10308301937.hurricane_katrina_laeg103.jpg?x=380&y=242&sig=icz.nUv7cC8OZOyqPiSrRA--

Thank God for the Robin Hoods, they had enough sense to find food and enough compassion to share. Take another look at the looter vs. the survivor. One has a huge bag, one has bread. Canned goods don't float either.

https://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050830/capt.ladm10908301723.hurricane_katrina_ladm109.jpg?x=218&y=345&sig=G7m12guybCetRDu2piT5NA--
mmmm  beer, one of the things you need to survive,

Sep 05 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

https://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050831/capt.ladm11208312231.hurricane_katrina_ladm112.jpg?x=380&y=274&sig=dErDnvh2d1zywJvkbM9PzA--

Look it is one of those poor people that had no means to leave
Beer stolen from a drug store... to survive.

Sep 05 05 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

aye provide wrote:

Once again Massah I be powerful thankful to  you for reminding me of these things...... so powerful happy

lol, aye your soo bad ;-)
q

Sep 05 05 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Model Sarah wrote:
https://www.upstandingfuckingcitizens.org/thatsracist.gif

Sorry but its true.

Gee folks let's read what Yahoo has to say about it.
"To Yahoo! News readers:

News photos are an especially popular section of Yahoo! News. In part, this is because we present thousands of news photos from some of the leading news services, including The Associated Press, Reuters, and Agence France Press. To make this volume of photos available in a timely manner, we present the photos and their captions as written, edited and distributed by the news services with no additional editing at Yahoo! News.

In recent days, a number of readers of Yahoo! News have commented on differences in the language in two Hurricane Katrina-related photo captions (from two news services). Since the controversy began, the supplier of one of the photos – AFP – has asked all its clients to remove the photo from their databases. Yahoo! News has complied with the AFP request. "

Well what do you know, the photos were submited by different companies. Most likey they were taken by different photographers and written up by different writers. So we have two groups with differing views on theft....  where is the racism?

Sep 05 05 01:48 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Mike Cummings wrote:
https://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050831/capt.ladm11208312231.hurricane_katrina_ladm112.jpg?x=380&y=274&sig=dErDnvh2d1zywJvkbM9PzA--

Look it is one of those poor people that had no means to leave
Beer stolen from a drug store... to survive.

Massah Cummings:

Not going to dispute you on this issue because it is real  there are the fools that decided it's a free for all. I too saw it read about it and was truly disgusted at the sight.
The problem this nigress has with you is that you are hell bent on presenting the fact no of us are worth a damn and that none in that disaster are truly suffering.

If I didn't know better I could swear you were at my regional meeting where a white owner said he loved the black workers in his franchise; how can he hire more monkeys to staff his KFC branches?  Were you the guy shaking his hand?

Sep 05 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

aye provide wrote:

I told you to call me Big Daddy.....

Right is right and wrong is wrong no matter how light or dark your ass is.

Sep 05 05 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

aye provide wrote:

Massah Cummings:

Not going to dispute you on this issue because it is real  there are the fools that decided it's a free for all. I too saw it read about it and was truly disgusted at the sight.
The problem this nigress has with you is that you are hell bent on presenting the fact no of us are worth a damn and that none in that disaster are truly suffering.

If I didn't know better I could swear you were at my regional meeting where a white owner said he loved the black workers in his franchise; how can he hire more monkeys to staff his KFC branches?  Were you the guy shaking his hand?

Nope I would be the guy calling him out, IF it were a racist statement. I say IF because I was not there and can not fairly judge without his side.

In case you have not figured it out, I do not care for shaded "truth". You can make anything look anyway you want depending on the shading.

Sep 05 05 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

Once again, I get lumped in with all the poor and neglected African-Americans!  Damn, I thought I had escaped, but there is nowhere I can go to escape my color.  Doesn't matter that I am truly a middle-class,  educated, African American.  That all my family is middle class and all my friends are middle-class.  We are doctors and lawyers and photographers and teachers.  We are all not underpriviledged and it pains me to see my Gulf state brothers and sisters in such dire straits.  It also pains me to see such ignorance on this topic.  There is a sizeable population of poor African Americans, but I don't choose to be lumped in that category.  We are not monolithic.  We do not all eat fried chicken and watermelon and listen to rap music, although I believe many Americans still believe such thoughts.  It is just arrogance and superiority.  Everybody want to be on top looking down on others.  There is a caste system.  Ask any immigrant that comes to American.  They know who is on top and who is on bottom.

African-Americans have been in dire straits for years.  Black people didn't get this way by themselves.  It was systematic and lawful.  It just didn't happen over night an people won't get out of it over night.  Just one generations ago, people couldn't even drink at the same water fountain in New Orleans and that many of those people who were rescued were victims of that type of discrimination.  Do you think people forget those type of things overnight?  I think not.  But if we don't have civil discourse on this topic and stop trying to act as if it is in the mind of so many uneducated, poor and ignorant Blacks, we'll never get anywhere.  Guess what, the world has a birds eye view of this situation and they are questioning why a city in all powerful, all knowing and very rich America is having a calamity such as this.  Kinda pulls the sheet from over the Wizard of Oz's head and we can see what he is really all about.

Sep 05 05 02:04 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Mike Cummings wrote:

I told you to call me Big Daddy.....

Right is right and wrong is wrong no matter how light or dark your ass is.

The day I call you Big Daddy will be the day I turn in my KFC uniform  and I have no intention on quitting my job

Sep 05 05 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Mike Cummings wrote:

Gee folks let's read what Yahoo has to say about it.
"To Yahoo! News readers:

News photos are an especially popular section of Yahoo! News. In part, this is because we present thousands of news photos from some of the leading news services, including The Associated Press, Reuters, and Agence France Press. To make this volume of photos available in a timely manner, we present the photos and their captions as written, edited and distributed by the news services with no additional editing at Yahoo! News.

In recent days, a number of readers of Yahoo! News have commented on differences in the language in two Hurricane Katrina-related photo captions (from two news services). Since the controversy began, the supplier of one of the photos – AFP – has asked all its clients to remove the photo from their databases. Yahoo! News has complied with the AFP request. "

Well what do you know, the photos were submited by different companies. Most likey they were taken by different photographers and written up by different writers. So we have two groups with differing views on theft....  where is the racism?

Another thing to note.. it was the picture of the white couple that was pulled....

Sep 05 05 02:05 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Mike Cummings wrote:

Nope I would be the guy calling him out, IF it were a racist statement. I say IF because I was not there and can not fairly judge without his side.

In case you have not figured it out, I do not care for shaded "truth". You can make anything look anyway you want depending on the shading.

Makes me wonder if you care for any "shading" at all

Sep 05 05 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

aye provide wrote:
The day I call you Big Daddy will be the day I turn in my KFC uniform  and I have no intention on quitting my job

You should turn in that uniform on principle alone. The very image of Col. Sanders harkins back to the plantation... So much racism around why would you even perpetuate the big lip, fried chicken eatin negro, stuck on the Colonel's plantation?

See what I mean about shaded truth?

EDIT: aye provide, if you destroy your keyboard replying to this I will send you a replacement.

Sep 05 05 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
With all this said.
hard, huh?

With all this said.
I will ask.  Quick, name five caucasian writers.
hard, huh?
a sports figure you probably can't.

Repeat the above for "asian" and see how much easier/harder it is.

Repeat the above for "female of any ethnic group", and see how much easier/harder it is."

If the first ("Black") is notably more difficult than the others, there may be some validity to a claim of bias. If it's not, the 'it's sad for everybody' is still true, but it doesn't indicate what the OP seems to think it does.

Sep 05 05 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

aye provide wrote:

Makes me wonder if you care for any "shading" at all

Let's see I have had an Viet Namese girlfriend, a black girlfriend, latin girlfriends and a white wife... at least we think she is white she was adopted so we are not real sure.

Sep 05 05 02:16 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Mike Cummings wrote:
You should turn in that uniform on principle alone. The very image of Col. Sanders harkins back to the plantation... So much racism around why would you even perpetuate the big lip, fried chicken eatin negro, stuck on the Colonel's plantation?

See what I mean about shaded truth?

And until I get another job aye has no plans on hitting the public dole At this point I think y'all would prefer me to be a sterotype than a wealfare consumer  yes? 

The ultimate goal I am hoping is to see the people of NO back on their feet.  I realize there are those that want the hand out but i know that many don't  then want the chance to rebuild and be safe and productive.

I hope it happens.

Sep 05 05 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

O.K. listen up you idiots. this thread is getting mighty close to being yanked. I'm seeing some posts that are borderline with the rules here. Leave personal remarks out and stick to the subject in a intellectual way.

As most of you know by now several members were banned this morning. The day aint over yet.......................

Dan/MM Moderator

Sep 05 05 02:19 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

I hesitated to read this thread for some time because "why is it always about race?" is a good question...a better question might be "why is it always about class?" because both are interconnected.

I hope that the Native peoples of all countries find their own place in this world without any hindrances. Now is always a good time to act in defense of those who have been subjugated again and again from the past up until today (don't deny it folks) because when was the last time someone was murdured because of the color of their skin?

The answer to that question is that people are constantly killed because of race and cornered into the lower classes where they are eventually marginalized to the point that they are overcome by diseases and natural disasters. Look at the Native Americans. The same kind of manipulation can be performed on any group of people, even white people.

I saw on t.v. the other day that they found this body floating in the water and it was the oldest, well-preserved man they'd ever found. The Native Americans claimed it as their own, because obviously it was one of their people. Turned out its features were very Anglo! They also remarked on the fact that his body was punctured by arrow-heads and severely injured, as if he had been hunted down. Who doubts that at some point in time, the hunter has been the hunted?

Sep 05 05 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

aye provide wrote:

And until I get another job aye has no plans on hitting the public dole At this point I think y'all would prefer me to be a sterotype than a wealfare consumer  yes?

I would prefer you find success in all that you do. Honest work is honest work.

Sep 05 05 02:22 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Thanks for not banning me Dan. I have not intentionally hurt anyone's feelings here or caused any sort of flaming. I took a day off and found a whole new topic to pursue!

Sep 05 05 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

aye provide wrote:

The ultimate goal I am hoping is to see the people of NO back on their feet.  I realize there are those that want the hand out but i know that many don't  then want the chance to rebuild and be safe and productive.

I hope it happens.

Dang it you edited....

The ones that want to rebuild will do it better. This hurricane may have just weeded the foul one from our mist. They will get the FEMA money and piss it away, the prudent folks will rebuild with thier money and make a better life for themselves.

Sep 05 05 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Dan Hood MM/Moderator wrote:
O.K. listen up you idiots. this thread is getting mighty close to being yanked. I'm seeing some posts that are borderline with the rules here. Leave personal remarks out and stick to the subject in a intellectual way.

As most of you know by now several members were banned this morning. The day aint over yet.......................

Dan/MM Moderator

Easy there, nobody is calling names. Read carefully, there is sarcasm present, but that is to make a point, nothing more.

Sep 05 05 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Dan Hood MM/Moderator wrote:

Dan/MM Moderator

BTW Dan, "listen up you idiots" would fall into both name calling and personal attacts if you were to go by the letter and not the spirit.

Sep 05 05 02:29 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
The great thing about this county is that if you really are worth something, NO ONE can hold you back.  Everyone faces descrimination at some point.  Some more than others.

IN my most HUMBLE opinion...ahem...

I believe this is where class comes in and becomes an issue.

My father is an "upper-class Mexican" you could say. Half of this is due to the fact that his skin is white. There are actually light-skinned Hispanic people. The other half is due to his education. His father, Jimmy, was an orphan during the depression, breathed in the American Dream through his Tuberculosis-ridden lungs, and educated himself! He went from being a Boxer (of all the low-class things to do) to becoming the first Hispanic legislator of Tucson, Arizona.

This changed his and his family's future. He put my father and my uncle through a lot of school. Even though my father was a hippy and a rebel, because of his considerable education (learning to read Russian, Spanish and English at age four) he eventually realized that in order to support his family he needed a real carreer, so he became a lawyer like his father and his dad did.

So what is the lesson here? How did the structure that my grandfather created lead to an upper-class lifestyle, despite their race? And if my father had not been so educated, perhaps he would not have become a lawyer, and I wouldn't have gone to Stanford because we wouldn't have been able to afford it. And then maybe my family wouldn't be too stuck-up to come visit me at my little shack in the mountains!

Sep 05 05 02:30 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Pitaru wrote:
I was wondering how long will it take for a modeling site to be turned into a forum for racial propaganda. Why do we even talk stuff like this here? I honestlly believe that you- the one who started this thread- either have nothing better to do either enjoy victimization. I am on neither sides but to be honest I am in the US for about 1 year and I am already sick and tired of hearing people complaining about racial issues. Get over it, there is no discrimination unless you are paranoid and obsessed with it. People who start threads like these are the root of all problems and racial fights. Anyways, being tired of all this crap, I am going back home in Europe!! yayyy

That was really ignorant and insensitive. It's not like people are talking about something as unimportant as who won what music award over and over. Racism and discrimination are prevalent everywhere. Guess what? Going back to Europe isn't going to make it go away. If you're so annoyed why fuel this thread even more?

I think that if a place like New Orleans is predominantly black, then the people who are in trouble and who will be seen on television "looting" will be black.
The media has done this. You see a black family looting and a white family crying.
Both whites and blacks are looting over there. Both blacks and whites are suffering. Both races are trying to survive. Not to mention the other races that haven't even been mentioned.

That video clip though, was sad, funny, and true all at the same time. However, it's one person, writing one article, in one publication. It's hardly grounds to paint the ENTIRE situation as a conspiracy against black people.

Well you know what I heard....the hurricane was planned...by white people....

Sep 05 05 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

DreamPretty� wrote:

IN my most HUMBLE opinion...ahem...

I believe this is where class comes in and becomes an issue.

My father is an "upper-class Mexican" you could say. Half of this is due to the fact that his skin is white. There are actually light-skinned Hispanic people. The other half is due to his education. His father, Jimmy, was an orphan during the depression, breathed in the American Dream through his Tuberculosis-ridden lungs, and educated himself! He went from being a Boxer (of all the low-class things to do) to becoming the first Hispanic legislator of Tucson, Arizona.

This changed his and his family's future. He put my father and my uncle through a lot of school. Even though my father was a hippy and a rebel, because of his considerable education (learning to read Russian, Spanish and English at age four) he eventually realized that in order to support his family he needed a real carreer, so he became a lawyer like his father and his dad did.

So what is the lesson here? How did the structure that my grandfather created lead to an upper-class lifestyle, despite their race? And if my father had not been so educated, perhaps he would not have become a lawyer, and I wouldn't have gone to Stanford because we wouldn't have been able to afford it. And then maybe my family wouldn't be too stuck-up to come visit me at my little shack in the mountains!

I know! I know!.. He became a success because he worked at it.

Sep 05 05 02:34 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Mike Cummings wrote:
https://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050830/capt.ladm10908301723.hurricane_katrina_ladm109.jpg?x=218&y=345&sig=G7m12guybCetRDu2piT5NA--
mmmm  beer, one of the things you need to survive,

Actually, beer is very nourishing. Especially when water is contaminated, it is a lot safer. We learned this in the Middle Ages.

Sep 05 05 02:38 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Yes, my grandfather became a success because he worked at it. My dad became a success because he married a blonde girl and had a bunch of kids, took a bunch of psychedelics and other drugs, and came to the conclusion that these kids were hungry and he had to do whatever it took to feed them. Including going to UCLA. Which meant getting a full scholarship because he was Hispanic.

I also dropped out of school several times and never experienced any repercussions. I was sure to hint to Stanford that my family had lots of money, and also that I knew legal jargon and Tibetan mumbo-jumbo. This helped me get into school, but then I decided that two more years in a smelly, loud dorm just wasn't worth 80,000 dollars I mean couldn't that money go to hurricane victims? Damn, college is expensive.

Sep 05 05 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Most Americians can name five White authors
and plenty of bussiness owners of every color.
We all can name the leaders of many nations.
None most know are Black.
What is even worse is how many Black
americians can't do it.
Whats worse is that instead of talking to each
other we are talking at each other.
Listen with compassion listen with
ears open.

Sep 05 05 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

DreamPretty� wrote:

Actually, beer is very nourishing. Especially when water is contaminated, it is a lot safer. We learned this in the Middle Ages.

Alcohol dehydrates you. If you have no water and you are drinking beer you will be in dire straits pretty quick. Better to boil the hell out of water or make a solar distiller.

Sep 05 05 03:00 pm Link