Forums > Photography Talk > whats the best digital camera under 500 dollars?

Model

MYA

Jacksonville, Florida, US

im looking to buy a good quality digital camera for under 500 dollars in hopes of taking up photography.any suggesions?

Sep 13 05 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

an used Rebel:)  me

Sep 13 05 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I'd recommend a Canon G-series.  I think they're up to the G6 by now.  Super clean files even if you have to take a little less resolution. 

BTW, for $500 you can get a used Canon D60, no lens.

Paul

Sep 13 05 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Whatever you buy try to use a good amount of lighting. Any digital sucks with poor lighting but they do very well with proper lighting even with less MP.

Look for one that has a good shutter speed. I read that one of the sony P&S has a very good shutter speed. That is something you will find useful in a P&S for sure. The other is connectivity to a PC and speed and size of the card it will handle. For most P&S the 40x speed is the best it will handle and others cant handle that speed. The speed will allow you to process the image faster.
Another thing is type of battery it will handle. Rechargable will save you a good amount of money if you shoot alot and you can get 2400 (or higher if they make them, im not sure) rechargable which will last longer. Or the lithium which will last longer also.
Another thing to watch for is zoom features. Digital zoom may look nice but it will not come in handy most times. Digital zoom takes the image and zooms that particular image in and it starts to pixilate. What you want to look for is a high optical zoom, that will allow you to zoom the camera.

Dont know if this helps but its things i wish i knew when i bought my 5 mp years ago. Now i shoot with my D70 and the 5 mp P&S sits collecting dust.

Sep 13 05 10:05 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MYA wrote:
im looking to buy a good quality digital camera for under 500 dollars in hopes of taking up photography.any suggesions?

It's kind of hard to know exactly what you mean by a digital camera for under $500, because with almost any digital camera purchase you'll need to add on at least $50-$100 for accessories (memory cards, camera case, batteries).

In any case, you may be interested in the new Kodak P850 camera, which is one of the two new 'Performance Series' Kodak cameras designed for the advanced user.  The main reason why I am recommending this particular model is because it can be used in a TOTALLY MANUAL  mode... including MANUAL FOCUS, which is required by many schools.

Most digital cameras that have totally manual focus cost a few hundred bucks more.

Additionally, the camera captures photos in either RAW, TIFF, or JPG mode.  Demanding professionals or graphic agencies require photos taken in the uncompressed RAW or TIFF modes.

The camera also has other great features including a 12x (f 2.8) optical zoom lens, image stabilization, hot shoe, 2.5" LCD.

You can also take full resolution videos (640x380 @30 frames per second) and edit videos in the camera. 

The camera is now arriving in stores and costs $499.99, although I've seen it in stores for about $474 during labor day weekend sales.

The camera uses standard SD memory cards, and spare lithium ion batteries cost less than $30.  (The camera includes a lithium battery and charger).

https://www.kodak.com/eknec/documents/0f/0900688a8034710f/P850_270x190.jpg

Sep 13 05 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

MYA wrote:

Ahhh just saw this.....yea def try to find a DSLR .......even if its just the body for now. A P&S if you find a decent one would be ok until you can upgrade to a DSLR.

Sep 13 05 10:07 am Link

Photographer

ChrisPaul- Chrispimages

Los Angeles, California, US

get a cheap digital camera and a film slr you can use the digital kinda like a polariod so u can see what your settings need to be for the film. That way you will be used to adjusting setings on a slr which is much different than a digital point and shoot unless u spend 500 and up and it will let u get started on collecting lenses. If you just get a really good point and shoot for 500 now you will just have to spend another 2000 to 3000 on a dslr and lenses in a year or two when u decide to get serious.
But if they have a few used equipment dealers around you may be able to get a used s2 pro around 500 or a canon digital rebel around that price

Sep 13 05 11:08 am Link

Model

MYA

Tito Trelles wrote:
an used Rebel:)  me

silly silly tito!
muah!

Sep 13 05 11:11 am Link

Model

MYA

chris paul wrote:
get a cheap digital camera and a film slr you can use the digital kinda like a polariod so u can see what your settings need to be for the film. That way you will be used to adjusting setings on a slr which is much different than a digital point and shoot unless u spend 500 and up and it will let u get started on collecting lenses. If you just get a really good point and shoot for 500 now you will just have to spend another 2000 to 3000 on a dslr and lenses in a year or two when u decide to get serious.
But if they have a few used equipment dealers around you may be able to get a used s2 pro around 500 or a canon digital rebel around that price

i have heard if i wanted to start out i need to atleast start with a cannon rebel.
im trying to research before i buy so i don't end up with something i will regret in the long run.i know that the lenses are what are going to be exspensive from what i have been told, but i am just trying to figuire out which camera it is i need to buy that i know i would be happy with thats in my price range.thanks everyone for the suggestions and off to ebay i go! :~)

Sep 13 05 11:16 am Link

Photographer

ChrisPaul- Chrispimages

Los Angeles, California, US

check the local stores before you buy off ebay so u can atleast try it out before you buy it and usually they will have similar price for quality to what u would get on ebay
like i was looking for a back up camera and happened to find this http://www.bakerphotovideo.com/ProductD … px?pid=598 i went to the store and he offered it to me for 1200

Sep 13 05 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Joanns

Redmond, Washington, US

I just saw my camera, the Minolta Dimage 7i, at a camera store for $200.00. I bought it new for $1000.00. I believe if you can find the 7i, 7hi for sale, they will be in your price range. Every single photo on my Web site was taken with the Dimage 7i. www.nordarts.com.

If you could go a little higher, I would recommend this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … Navigation

It's an upgrade from the 7i.

The great thing about the A200 and the 7i, & 7hi  is that you can do everything with it that you can do with the DSLRs except change lenses. With 7x optical zoom, there's very little you will be wanting.

Sep 13 05 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

THe Fuji s7000 has been out of production for a few months, but you can still find them online for about $400.
Here's the review
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s7000.html
It would make a great starter camera if you can't afford a D-SLR right now.  I use them as back ups and I'm on my second one.

Sep 14 05 04:28 am Link

Photographer

DumDum Productions

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Joanns wrote:
I just saw my camera, the Minolta Dimage 7i, at a camera store for $200.00. I bought it new for $1000.00. I believe if you can find the 7i, 7hi for sale, they will be in your price range. Every single photo on my Web site was taken with the Dimage 7i. www.nordarts.com.

If you could go a little higher, I would recommend this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … Navigation

It's an upgrade from the 7i.

The great thing about the A200 and the 7i, & 7hi  is that you can do everything with it that you can do with the DSLRs except change lenses. With 7x optical zoom, there's very little you will be wanting.

I second the Dimage - I've got an older model (Z10), and it has great glass and excellent color (as well as an SLR-like viewfinder). I'm sure you can find a good, current model for well under 500 clams.

Sep 14 05 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Buy a used DSLR with lens

My first camera before I came here (ModelMayhem) was the Canon 10D w/28-135 IS USM, I've since bought 5 more lens's, 1 & 2GB memory cards and larger bag.

Sep 14 05 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

if i were you, before i purchase a camera from an unknown seller, just to get a much cheaper price, i would check B&H Used Equipment.  They are tried and trusted, and the few extra bucks spent on reputation can prove worth much more then it's weight in gold.

this Canon sounds like a decent pice of equipment...
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/317308.jpg
and is listed on B&H for $519.00

Sep 15 05 07:06 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

A friend of mine just bought the poweshot pro 1 new.  I let her come assist @ a wedding I was shooting because she wants to learn the ropes.  She spent most of the day cussing out the camera because it wouldn't focus half the time when we were shooting inside.  I would buy the Canon G6 first...little less zoom, but it doesnt have the focusing probs.

Sep 16 05 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Am I reading these replies correctly? How many photographers on here do NOT use DSLR cameras?

Is the quality of a point and shoot up and matching the DSLR market?

Sep 16 05 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Paul Ferrara wrote:
I'd recommend a Canon G-series.  I think they're up to the G6 by now.  Super clean files even if you have to take a little less resolution.

I agree with Paul, a friend of mine has G2 and the picture is just unreal. I think the bang you get for a buck with G-series is unbeatable. Great job, Canon.

Mark

Sep 16 05 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Am I reading these replies correctly? How many photographers on here do NOT use DSLR cameras?

Probably more than you'd think.  I paid about $800 for my G2 some years ago.  Cute little camera that takes great pictures but it's a pain to use because of parallax error.  I bought a D60 after they came out.  But the next best option vs the G2 was the D30 for about $3K.

Paul

Sep 16 05 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Hanson Photo

Spring, Texas, US

Mya,
Try looking for a good used DSLR. I don't think you will regret it later for flexibility.
Having the option to purchase lenses you'll need is key!
Best of luck,
Ed

Sep 16 05 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Honestly, if you're just starting out with no existing equipment, $500 is a tall order.  Even a simple point-and-shoot requires purchase of a few "extras" (spare batteries, memory, something to carry it around in, etc.)

Sep 16 05 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

TJL

Lauderhill, Florida, US

Budget shop at www.overstock.com, www.refurbdepot.com, and www.bwayphoto.com

They have super discounts there, and there is rarely any trouble with the furbies.

I bought a $400 Olympus IS-10 for $88 from Overstock. The zoom did not work so I sent it to Olympus to fix. Olympus took care of it for me with no prob.

If you want a good review, plus sample pictures of the camera you want, then go to www.dpreview.com

It is the most indepth camera site out there.

Sep 16 05 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Buy a used D70 from Nikon. The lenses will cost you more, but they are investment. Cheers, Tim

Sep 17 05 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Joanns

Redmond, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Hi Craig, just because a camera isn't a DSLR, doesn't make it a point and shoot. The camera I recommended was the Dimage 7i. It is not a point and shoot. In fact, I never used the automatic - program - settings on that camera. The only auto feature I did use was the auto focus.  In my MM portfolio, I have a combination of photos taken with my Dimage 7i and my Maxxum 7D (DSLR).  I don't think anybody to determine which photo came from the non-DSLR.

If someone is really interested in photography and wants to learn and have the ability to be creative, don't get a point and shoot. Set your sights on a prosumer camera such as the 7i. With a $500.00 budget, a DSLR isn't a good choice. You will have to spend that much over and over again just to get the lenses you want.

Sep 17 05 02:10 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

Don't ask me, I'm still buying disposable cameras from Rite Aid...LOL

Sep 17 05 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

for the $$$, a used Olympus e-20 should be considered...it is a tank of a camera...with all the bells and whistles, and manual mode to boot, it should be a consideration for one who is starting into the digital arena.

Sep 17 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

kodak dx7590, laugh away folks, but i take saleable shots on it daily, while my 7d is usually in getting repaired, hey what do you know i sold 2 more late yesterday to aero mag.

Sep 17 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

SayCheeZ! wrote:

It's kind of hard to know exactly what you mean by a digital camera for under $500, because with almost any digital camera purchase you'll need to add on at least $50-$100 for accessories (memory cards, camera case, batteries).

In any case, you may be interested in the new Kodak P850 camera, which is one of the two new 'Performance Series' Kodak cameras designed for the advanced user.  The main reason why I am recommending this particular model is because it can be used in a TOTALLY MANUAL  mode... including MANUAL FOCUS, which is required by many schools.

Most digital cameras that have totally manual focus cost a few hundred bucks more.

Additionally, the camera captures photos in either RAW, TIFF, or JPG mode.  Demanding professionals or graphic agencies require photos taken in the uncompressed RAW or TIFF modes.

The camera also has other great features including a 12x (f 2.8) optical zoom lens, image stabilization, hot shoe, 2.5" LCD.

You can also take full resolution videos (640x380 @30 frames per second) and edit videos in the camera. 

The camera is now arriving in stores and costs $499.99, although I've seen it in stores for about $474 during labor day weekend sales.

The camera uses standard SD memory cards, and spare lithium ion batteries cost less than $30.  (The camera includes a lithium battery and charger).

https://www.kodak.com/eknec/documents/0f/0900688a8034710f/P850_270x190.jpg

KODAK PROSUMER DIGITALS, I LUV EM, BUT KEN ALREADY KNOWS THIS.

Sep 17 05 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

David Scherer

Doug,

Right there with you about the benefits of a Kodak DX7590. I own one as well and soon will be looking to upgrade it to the next version available. The fact that it had a flash sync port on it sold me since I do alot of studio work and having a digital that can sync to a studio strobe would sure solve alot of headaches.

Kodak DX7590 Features:

Fast shutter, virtually no lag
clean, crisp images at 5MP which makes printing a snap
excellent zoom and macro functions perfect for portrait or still life
full manual controll along with a boatload of shooting modes for any situation
flash synch port, used with bracket means no redeye and perfect for events

Just the other day I shot a Macro photo of a large spider holding (possibly eating) it's prey that was all wrapped up. With the right client, I'm sure that photo will sell. And if the technical quality is great, no-one will ask what camera you took it on. In fact, if you don't say typically no-one asks. I know alot of photographers who made thier first pile of cash using these so called imitation SLR cameras.

Sep 17 05 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

For those who do laugh, attached are photos of some of the digital cameras that revolutionized the digital marketplace.   Do you see anything in common?

https://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/f3/fa/e9_2.JPGhttps://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/30055337/Images/Kodak_DCS_13_a.jpg
https://i15.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/f2/9e/06_2.JPGhttps://i4.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/ed/46/05_2.JPGhttps://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/e9/b8/07_2.JPG

Actually, some of these cameras can now be had for next to nothing and may be a great way to start in the digital photography arena.  All of the photos are of products currently available on E-bay.

Sep 17 05 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

David Scherer wrote:
Right there with you about the benefits of a Kodak DX7590. I own one as well and soon will be looking to upgrade it to the next version available...

The newest version of the DX7590 is the Z7590, but if you already own the DX7590 there's no need to rush out and purchase the Z series, because there are only a few minor differences between the cameras (the connector on the bottom of the camera is now smaller, the USB connector is different, and a histogram can be viewed on the LCD).

About 2 years ago I was one of several photographers hired to shoot an event at the Mandalay Bay hotel.  While several other photographers had cameras that cost 5 to 10 times the amount of the DX6490 (4 mpx predecessor to the DX7590) which I was using, I was the ONLY photographer that was rehired to shoot the same event the next year.  (We all got paid the same heftyamount, so it wasn't a matter of working cheap!).

Sep 17 05 05:42 pm Link