Forums > Photography Talk > foto shoots outside!!??!?!?

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

I have a photo shoot this coming weekend and we are both having a pretty hard time finding an enclosed place to do the shoot.
A lot of the shots include nudity.
Has anyone ever gotten away with doing nude shots in public, though some what secluded places?
Or at least shots with some nudity but perhaps not complete nudity?

Any have any tips for not getting caught, assuming that they will remain outside shots?

(don't reply to this post if you're gonna give a stupid response... I've noticed too many peopel on here do that!!!)

Sep 19 05 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Yeah, I used to get stopped by the cops about one out of four shoots, but they never caught the model nude. 

Keep the clothes handy and watch for anyone approaching.  Preferably have someone else standing there with the clothes watching.

Don't shoot where there's a lot of people.  If you have to, then do it in a liberal place (SF vs. Omaha, or a goth club vs. a church).  I highly recommend industrial areas on a Sunday.

The thing is it won't be you that gets into trouble, it will be the model for indecent exposure or something. 

-Don

Sep 19 05 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

Ohhhhh.
Well, I don't want my model to get in trouble either. lol

I was planning on doing the shoot in a large 460-some acre garden i live around...
we're both nervous about getting caught though  :-\

Sep 19 05 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

You know, 90% of people that would see it would sit back and watch and enjoy.  Just go do it and be careful.  It's a kick.  For you and the model both.

-D

Sep 19 05 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

here we go again

just get a permit for the shoot, say its a nude shoot in the permit and dont worry about anything else

ive shot a girl nude in the middle of the day in broad daylight even, at the holocaust memorial in miami beach, and no one bothered me

ya know why?

cuz i had a permit from the city of miami beach film and print division

Sep 19 05 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Chili wrote:
here we go again

just get a permit for the shoot, say its a nude shoot in the permit and dont worry about anything else

ive shot a girl nude in the middle of the day in broad daylight even, at the holocaust memorial in miami beach, and no one bothered me

ya know why?

I like you already! :-)

Sep 19 05 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

Chili wrote:

ha.  i never even thought about that.  thanks.

Sep 20 05 06:49 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Chili wrote:
here we go again

ya know why?

I most of the time just "wing" it with my assistant and the girls accomplices watching for police....etc.

But I`m going to try that permit deal  in Tampa/Clearwater area next time I shoot an old Vette in public........a permit covers nudity, if you write it in huh? What did it cost you?
*as long as it`s reasonable price wise*  if it is`nt I`ll go back to the ED WOOD way of doing things........."oh it`s the cops run!"

Sep 20 05 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

permits are generally free, except in NY state parks, then there is a sliding scale fee, but in miami they are free too

but you need to sign a notarized indemnity clause, and generally you need to carry "the sum of $1 million dollars" (chili puts pinky to corner of his mouth) general liability insurance policy

then when you fill out the permit, in the description of the shoot section you need to be very creative, try to work the words "ART", "ARTISTIC", "ARTISTRY", etc into it a lot too. ;->

Sep 20 05 07:11 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Chili wrote:
permits are generally free, except in NY state parks, then there is a sliding scale fee, but in miami they are free too

but you need to sign a notarized indemnity clause, and generally you need to carry "the sum of $1 million dollars" (chili puts pinky to corner of his mouth) general liability insurance policy

then when you fill out the permit, in the description of the shoot section you need to be very creative, try to work the words "ART", "ARTISTIC", "ARTISTRY", etc into it a lot too. ;->

Ohh darn see, they told me that Million dollars stuff in San Fran too at this 50`s diner I was shooting at, so the owner said "buy a hamburger for the model" and I could shoot her there without the permit.........thanks Chili this was very kool to find out smile

Sep 20 05 07:15 am Link