Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Internet modelling the highest stage of capitalism

Model

Ocean Jasper

Vatican City, Holy See, Vatican City

Internet modelling is the highest stage of capitalism. Everybody is willing to work for free.
It reminds me of the joke workers used to tell in Communist Eastern Europe.
"We pretend to work and they pretend to pay us."

Internet modelling the free exchange of goods and services for tags and compliments.

Models flatter photgraphers and photographers flatter models.
Everyone walks away with a smile.

Success is measured by number of hits, number of tags, number of friends (you've never met)

Money is so passe. Only professional hacks still accept money. (You know the type, their work appears  in those rags like Vogue)

Free= Freedom

Sep 22 05 10:46 am Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

Someone once had the audacity to offer me a paid shoot. What did they take me for, a professional? Once you start accepting money it's a slippery slope. You start eating regularly, you get a roof over your head, and you dental floss regularly.

But the price is the loss of freedom. The devil is dining on your artistic soul.
It is better to be an MM pauper than a king/queen in the material world.

Sep 22 05 01:56 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Are you snorting glue again?

Sep 22 05 02:00 pm Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

First, with glue its called sniffing.

Second, this is my first time.

Third, you can't even get no glue through internet modelling.

Sep 22 05 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Some internet models get paid big money. Can't throw a big blanket over anyone with pics online and assume they don't get paid for it.

Sep 22 05 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

You can snort glue if you let it get hard and crush it up into a powder.

Don't ask me how I know these things....because really I don't.

I used to get paid for shoots, but I went and cleaned up my act and joined PPA (Paid Photographer Anonymous), and now I've been clean for about 3 years.

Sep 22 05 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Dyanov wrote:
Third, you can't even get no glue through internet modelling.

A model once got a roll of tape from a shoot.  I left it at her apartment.  Does that count?

Sep 22 05 02:18 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

only if she sells it and makes money. That breaks the chain.

Sep 22 05 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Dyanov wrote:
Internet modelling is the highest stage of capitalism. Everybody is willing to work for free.

Internet modelling the free exchange of goods and services for tags and compliments.

Success is measured by number of hits, number of tags, number of friends (you've never met)

Money is so passe. Only professional hacks still accept money. (You know the type, their work appears  in those rags like Vogue)

Free= Freedom

Money isn't "passe," it's merely controlled by those with unimaginative agendas.  If someone were willing to pay for my work, exactly as it is, I'd be more than happy to accept.  That said, I have no intention of stopping the work that most intrigues and enables me personally for money.  I've already learned this lesson as a musician, playing in crummy bands led by musically ignorant individuals in the hope of "getting paid."  At the end of the day, I didn't get "paid" and I didn't enjoy playing anymore either.  With my photography, may not get "paid," but I feel a non-stop passion for what I do and I'm frankly gratified and thrilled at the idea that it reaches people all over the world who respond with intellect and passion.  If I have to work a day job to insure I won't lose that feeling of connection and communication, lead me to my mop and bucket.

Sep 22 05 02:22 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I have absolutely no misconceptions about internet modeling and being listed on networking sites like these. I like meeting new people who are like-minded in our professions.

If you choose to look at it as free exchange, there is no harm in it. Actually, a lot of the models on this site (me included) are represented by well known agencies and we are getting paid for our work. Getting to meet and work with creative photographers and models is an added bonus to being a member of a networking site like this. Who knows: the relationships you build now, may contribute to an opportunity later on.

So, why are you here again?

Sep 22 05 02:23 pm Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

I am here specifically not to get paid.
If offered pay work I will not accept.
(who was the potential presidential candidate who said "if nominated I will not run, and if elected I will not serve." (Bryant?) Anyway that's my attitude. He's my inspiration.
And if actually paid money I will donate my winnings to a special foundation that I will set up for MM members who are not signed up with big agencies, and have never accepted money for photographic work/ or modelling. These valiant and dedicated individuals (you know who you are) will on principle also refuse to take the money and will probably start their own foundations to give away the money that besmirches their artistic souls.

Our freedom cannot be bought or sold. We will not be undersold. Although there is a good used market for last years' models.

Sep 22 05 02:44 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

ROTFLMAO

Sep 22 05 02:50 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

yes, I am an artist. I do nothing for money. and, I do nothing for money. either way, I am happy.

Sep 22 05 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Bryant ran a lot.  He was a regular Carl Lewis.

Sep 22 05 02:52 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think we should turn this into another, "why don't you pay me?" No, pay me! We all deserve to get paid. Let's all go on strike and just masturbate by ourselves...thats as free as its gonna get. hand lotion optional.

Sep 22 05 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

The mental image of someone trying to snort Elmer's glue made me laugh until I cried.

Sep 22 05 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Some Internet models collect some nice fat checks from this online business called CCBill.com ... and still others are very smart and start their own credit card billing company online .. like me!  You can't make money from the Internet unless you can accept credt cards!  That goes for EVERYTHING online from selling T-shirts to downloads!

The Internet is soon to be the most common place to get your music! 

Ummm .. I do this because I'm not good for anything else!  ROFLMAO!

Sep 22 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Lapis wrote:
Let's all go on strike and just masturbate by ourselves...thats as free as its gonna get. hand lotion optional.

Ok, now can I shoot you on strike?  I can provide hand lotion to keep it free.  ROFLMAO  smile

Sep 22 05 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Dyanov wrote:

Free= Freedom

So this would be a problem for you because ... ?

Sep 22 05 07:49 pm Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

Hey Joe did I say this was a problem. This is more of a model/photographer manifesto.

Models of the world unite you have nothing to lose but your clothes.

The revolution is here, or coming, or just around the corner, it will be here after it finds a parking space, it will arrive on the red eye, it's trying to get a baby sitter.

I hope I've made myself clear.

Freedom is just another word, for nothing left to loose and nothing ain't worth anything if it ain't free. (Jean Jacques Rousseau as reinterpreted by KK.)

Sep 22 05 09:26 pm Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

Somebody actually tried to offer me money today to a shoot. I laughed at their offer.

How dare they offer me a monetary reward. Finally we agreed that I would do the shot if they viewed my portfolio 1,000 times.

That is my rate 1 hour of modelling = 1,000 views = 100 tags = 75 compliments.

What are the rates other models are charging.

You've heard of the dollar, the euro, well I get paid in ego dollars.

Sep 23 05 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Dyanov wrote:
Somebody actually tried to offer me money today to a shoot. I laughed at their offer.

How dare they offer me a monetary reward. Finally we agreed that I would do the shot if they viewed my portfolio 1,000 times.

That is my rate 1 hour of modelling = 1,000 views = 100 tags = 75 compliments.

What are the rates other models are charging.

You've heard of the dollar, the euro, well I get paid in ego dollars.

We could work out a deal.

For example, you could do the modeling and I'll take the money and exchange it into ego dollars for you.  I'll give you a good exchange rate. smile

Sep 23 05 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Goldstein

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

You make money with who you know what you know , who you are  and how good & proffessional you are .... if your good you don't need to give up your freedom nor your soul .... as for people that work for free , nothing wrong with that , not everything is about the $$$  sometimes you just want to create and enjoy and not only to wait for client to knock on your door in order for you to do something you claimed to loved the moment you got into it  bought a camera went to school been and assistant or did a lot of TFP because you love standing in front of the camera and model ............Just an opinion

R

Sep 23 05 04:18 pm Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

Brian the exchange rate idea could work, but after a while egos would be just like dollars and then I would be locked into the world capitalist system. Also there would be problems with the exchange rate. Suppose the dollar declines, that would require that I raise the amount of egos that I charge. This would then require each of us to hedge against such fluctuations, which would then require that I establish a futures market for egos.

Comrade Brian I would give you all my dirty $$$ if it didn't corrupt to accept them, and if it would not debase your soul to receive.

Do you see where this is all going, cause I'm lost?

Sep 23 05 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

So what you're saying is that I should go out and earn my own damn money?  Crap.

Sep 23 05 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Lapis wrote:
Are you snorting glue again?

hahaha... "again" or "still"? ;o) tim

Sep 23 05 05:03 pm Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

Brian Diaz wrote:
So what you're saying is that I should go out and earn my own damn money?  Crap.

I don't know if it's money you need, but your atavar needs a new wig.
(Brian was that assonance?)

Sep 23 05 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

As an avatar attains available attire, any aspirations atrophy.

I don't know what it means, but it's assonance.

Sep 23 05 05:14 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Dyanov wrote:
I am here specifically not to get paid.
If offered pay work I will not accept.

Great. Then send the paid work over to me. I accept paid work. I actually have received deposits on two paid shoots over the next two weeks (as a photographer 22092). No sarcasm and I am not trying to be funny (we all know I am NOT funny), just saying that I don't turn down work even when I get it from internet 'modeling' sites.

Sep 23 05 05:21 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dyanov does it for free so no one can call him a whore. he is just a slut. my slut...though he is a bit screwy in the head. I try to help him out but it doesn't really work.

Sep 23 05 07:29 pm Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

The ad just above this post is so hilarious. It says help pros make money.

I want an ad that says help amateurs work for nothing.

And Dawn in Theory I would be glad to give you all my paid work, but my Practise does not allow it on Principle. But if you want to accept paid work, you must live with your conscious, or your roomate, or whoever you have to live with. I hope I have my position as murky as I can. Is that clear?

Sep 24 05 05:39 pm Link