Forums > Model Colloquy > why do models have to be tall?

Model

GaramMasala1315

Fairfax, Virginia, US

So I've been having a lot of self esteem issues/confidence issuse simply because this industry demands people to be like 5'8 and above and weigh 125 lbs or less in order to truly be a successful fashion model.  I mean I know being toned is important, but why do professional models have to be so freakin' tall?  Not to say tall women are not absolutely stunning or that people who weigh 125 lbs aren't absolutely gorgeous, but I mean how many of your non-model friends have that build?  I think I'm a relatively attractive person and I'm 5'1 and super muscular.  By the industry standards because of my height and weight (I weigh around 150), I basically have no shot of doing any type of runway show or catalog.  Not only that, I feel as though not a lot of people of Indian origin get the chance to model in the United States (either because of the parental constraints or because of height/weight issues)...is there any chance I would even be able to make it in this industry simply because of height and weight issues?  Why would I be considered a "plus size model" when all I have is toned muscles, serious curves, and a short build?

Mar 28 07 06:48 pm Link

Model

Ka-lee Rae

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

not all models have to be tall, it depends what you want to do.
but like me you are below the average height for women anyway so it limits you.
You wouldnt be classed as a 'plus-size' model because a true plus size model is still tall.
You maybe able to get some work modelling petite clothing.

Runway models are tall and thin because thats what looks good on the runway. Also clothes hang differently and look at there best. just imagine a floating clothes hanger lol.
its all about good shoulders.

remember being a model isnt about just modelling clothes.

and im sure there has been other threads on this so do a search.

Mar 28 07 06:55 pm Link

Model

Ali Moon

Folsom, California, US

At 5'1 you would also be considered too short for plus size and most commercial. Maybe parts modeling (e.g. hair, face...). The reason height is important is because designers cut their clothes a precise way (e.g. easier to take off a couple inches of hem, than add) and the model is not the focus of fashion (the clothes are). I'm sure you've heard the "walking hanger" analogy. I think that the lack of Indian descent models is probably because of those reasons you stated (height, curvy build, culture). I would, as is popular in forums, suggest checking out newmodels.com. Best wishes!

Mar 28 07 06:56 pm Link

Model

TheStitchWitch

Needville, Texas, US

Try this thread:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=112761

it has some good photographic examples of why. If you have not found www.newmodels.com yet, look at it too.

Mar 28 07 06:58 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

This link explains it really well.  It's worth reading over at least once:

http://www.newmodels.com/height.html

Mar 28 07 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Los Angeles, California, US

Hey Shyly! *waves*

I pray she's not strung up by her toes and smacked for asking lol!!

Mar 28 07 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Martin

Tyler, Minnesota, US

The answer to your question in its purest sense:  Models have to fit the clothes.. NOT the other way around.  Height and size standards for fashion models cam about because the clothing designers made prototypes in one size.  The don't want to, and shouldn't be expected to make a new design to fit a specific model, so the model has to fit the design.

Mar 28 07 07:02 pm Link

Model

Charlie Brown Eyes

San Francisco, California, US

why do models have to be so tall?

The better to see up their skirts, my dear. wink

Mar 28 07 07:05 pm Link

Model

Ka-lee Rae

TheStitchWitch wrote:
Try this thread:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=112761

it has some good photographic examples of why. If you have not found www.newmodels.com yet, look at it too.

I havent seen that thread before, its very interesting and i think anyone new to modelling should look at it.
I would hate to be on the runway, i would look so lost surrounded by all those other models. it just doesnt look right.

Model

GaramMasala1315

Fairfax, Virginia, US

thanks for the links...but I mean just like Italy and other European nations are adopting the "no more super thin models" rule, I wish that a similar height rule could be applied.  I mean it took a good 30 years (after Twiggy) to get the industry weight standard at least SLIGHTLY altered...what are the hopes for height models?  Do any photographers want to shoot short models?

Model

Memi Haute

Charles Lewis III wrote:

The better to see up their skirts, my dear. wink

LOL

Model

Memi Haute

GaramMasala1315 wrote:
thanks for the links...but I mean just like Italy and other European nations are adopting the "no more super thin models" rule, I wish that a similar height rule could be applied.  I mean it took a good 30 years (after Twiggy) to get the industry weight standard at least SLIGHTLY altered...what are the hopes for height models?  Do any photographers want to shoot short models?

I don't think the height requirments for fashion models will ever drop below 5'8. Weight and height are totally different issues.

Mar 28 07 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Martin

Tyler, Minnesota, US

These kinds of questions are becoming more and more common on here.  Its turning into a bunch of girls whining "I wanna be a model, why are there so many rules???  Even thought I'm short, fat, and pierced, why can't I be a model just cause I wanna be???"

I want to be an astronaut, but I'm too old, the wrong size, and I have no astronaut training.. so there.

Photographer

FOTOFACTUS

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Tis not often that I see other desis on the forum discussions - good to see!

Model

Memi Haute

Photography by Martin wrote:
These kinds of questions are becoming more and more common on here.  Its turning into a bunch of girls whining "I wanna be a model, why are there so many rules???  Even thought I'm short, fat, and pierced, why can't I be a model just cause I wanna be???"

I want to be an astronaut, but I'm too old, the wrong size, and I have no astronaut training.. so there.

Amen!

Mar 28 07 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

chbphoto

The height requirement drives the type of modelling you do.

For fashion - you've got to look good in the dample size of the manufacturer.

For products - you need to be more petite  - it makes the product look bigger.

Same for shoes - sample size is about 7. Are there any 5'8" or taller models with small feet?

Mar 28 07 07:09 pm Link

Model

Ka-lee Rae

GaramMasala1315 wrote:

yes there is photographers that want to shoot short models. There is lots of short models out there but they dont do fashion. Alot of them are 'alt' models, pin-up, glamour, parts models or fetish models.

I doubt things will ever change.

I had a photographer say he prefers photographing short models because he also does bodypainting, its makes painting people easier when the person is short

Mar 28 07 07:10 pm Link

Model

No jjjj More

Mar 28 07 07:11 pm Link

Model

GaramMasala1315

Fairfax, Virginia, US

awww thanks...and I'm not whining...I know exactly what I have to live up to in this industry and I make damn sure I give everything I do my all.  If I have some kind of height deficiency, then hell I'll make up for it with AMAZING photos.  Just because I'm asking a question does not imply that I feel as though it's unfair.  I think many of the models that are tall and slender are gorgeous and are better suited for runway, etc. but in print I feel as though height should not be such a huge issue.  I personally cant point to someone's pictures and be like "well they must be 5'11" or "well they must be 5'3"...print seems to look just as beautiful if you're short or if you're tall.  maybe that's just me though =/

Mar 28 07 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

It makes the clothes look better and allows better imagery for reasons of proportion and geometry. It's also why models should avoid... bacon.

GaramMasala1315 wrote:
I personally cant point to someone's pictures and be like "well they must be 5'11" or "well they must be 5'3"...

I'm willing to bet you don't speak Narau, either, but that doesn't mean nobody can. I can look at a picture and give a pretty good guess, and I know people who are scary good at it. The longer you've been in the industry, generally speaking, the better you are at it. So yes, it does make a difference. Even if you can't, many people can tell subconsciously, or at least understand the difference that it makes in how clothes look.

M

Mar 28 07 07:12 pm Link

Model

Ka-lee Rae

hahahaha why cant us short people stop moaning and make the most of what we have.
i love being short.
and i understood from day one that i would never do fashion coz i'm tiny!
and i dont care.

why cant people just be happy. the industry isnt going to change and i dont see why i should. the weight thing is understandable but height is different.

Mar 28 07 07:13 pm Link

Model

Memi Haute

GaramMasala1315 wrote:
awww thanks...and I'm not whining...I know exactly what I have to live up to in this industry and I make damn sure I give everything I do my all.  If I have some kind of height deficiency, then hell I'll make up for it with AMAZING photos.  Just because I'm asking a question does not imply that I feel as though it's unfair.  I think many of the models that are tall and slender are gorgeous and are better suited for runway, etc. but in print I feel as though height should not be such a huge issue.  I personally cant point to someone's pictures and be like "well they must be 5'11" or "well they must be 5'3"...print seems to look just as beautiful if you're short or if you're tall.  maybe that's just me though =/

Well, if print is what you're looking for... than you would be considered a commercial model.

Mar 28 07 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

For me, height makes absolutely no difference at all.

Everyone has a beautiful side.

Click Hamilton
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

Mar 28 07 07:14 pm Link

Model

GaramMasala1315

Fairfax, Virginia, US

i love being short too...it has its perks...once again, not whining or complaining...i just never understood who they were marketing the clothes to because I don't know anyone who is 5'10 and like size 0-2.  and yeah, i'd be more than happy being a commercial model, i was just wondering why the standards were like that...my questions have been answered =]

Mar 28 07 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

It's simple supply and demand. If a virus kills all women 5' 8" or taller, we will start seeing shorter models. Until then, there are no shortage of 5' 8" models so why start hiring 5' 1" models. Designers want the best of the best and a dress simply looks better draped on a 5' 8" frame than a 5' 1" frame.

Mar 28 07 07:17 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Are you trying to do modeling for a living, or more for fun and the occasional extra cash?

If the former, you'll probably have to be a nude model, and even then there are no guarantees.  If the latter, it doesn't matter what "the industry" requires, you're doing it for fun, so you can do whatever you want.

There really is helpful info at the link I provided regarding height.  I'd suggest reading it.

Mar 28 07 07:19 pm Link

Model

No jjjj More

Mar 28 07 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

JenMon wrote:
And the height requirement doesn't necessarily mean that they are more beautiful, I've seen some runway models that are actually quite busted and could never have the beauty to do commercial, but they just have the height and the frame. Some, on the other hand have it all going, so props to them.

The thing about busted faces is THAT can be fixed...

Mar 28 07 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

I just am wondering why you're so sarcastic all of the time?

She was looking for answers not sarcasm...Sarcasm doesn't help answer the question if it's not answering it at all.

That's MHO Carry on...

Mar 28 07 07:29 pm Link

Model

No jjjj More

Model

GaramMasala1315

Fairfax, Virginia, US

yeah i read the site...it makes a lot of sense and yeah, i guess designer clothing does look better on taller people.  as for the type of modeling, i am a suicide girl and so they want to diversify their models with different ethnicity/build so i'm happy with what i'm doing right now.  i don't know...it would be nice to see some indian/desi/brown models outside of bollywood...so i feel good about what i'm doing...perhaps it'll open the door for other indian girls to enter the industry?  haha probably a pipe dream right?

Model

Memi Haute

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:
The thing about busted faces is THAT can be fixed...

Height can be fixed as well, but not without a long and painful procedure.

And at most you'd only achieve 2" to 3".

Mar 28 07 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I totally agree!! I love the shorties!!  They should be everywhere!

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/75099702.jpg

Mar 28 07 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

JenMon wrote:

Too true

TRUST me if I could grow.... LMAOOOOO. It wouldn't be because I don't like being short, but just because you're tall you get more opprotunities...Forget the fact that you have charisma and a mean runway walk... I'm short so hey...you're just assed out because you can lose weight, change your color, your face, and everything else. You're just assed out when it comes to height.

Mar 28 07 07:31 pm Link

Model

No jjjj More

Mar 28 07 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

GaramMasala1315 wrote:

Heigh and weigh are very different. Most of us have no control over our height. Weight was an issue because people were being unhealthy while trying get thin. I don't think a similar issue exist for people being unhealthy while trying to get tall.

Also, I'm surprised that no one has brought up the "I want to be in the NBA" analogy.

Mar 28 07 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Gina Mc wrote:

Height can be fixed as well, but not without a long and painful procedure.

And at most you'd only achieve 2" to 3".

yeah but it won't get you where you need to get to. Not being able to move for a year isn't fixing it lol!! You'd then be too OLD! You know that last 24 hours before your birthday cut off is killer!

Mar 28 07 07:33 pm Link

Model

No jjjj More

Mar 28 07 07:34 pm Link

Model

Ka-lee Rae

GaramMasala1315 wrote:
yeah i read the site...it makes a lot of sense and yeah, i guess designer clothing does look better on taller people.  as for the type of modeling, i am a suicide girl and so they want to diversify their models with different ethnicity/build so i'm happy with what i'm doing right now.  i don't know...it would be nice to see some indian/desi/brown models outside of bollywood...so i feel good about what i'm doing...perhaps it'll open the door for other indian girls to enter the industry?  haha probably a pipe dream right?

i dont mean to sound a bitch here but alot of photographers arent keen to shoot suicide girls.

Most photographers i know will not have anything to do with suicide girls. I know a girl that is a suicide girl and she has been refused shoots because of it.
edit: just thought i should mention it incase it causes problems ater.

Mar 28 07 07:34 pm Link

Model

GaramMasala1315

Fairfax, Virginia, US

good point...weight was an issue of unhealthiness and height is out of our hands...

Mar 28 07 07:35 pm Link