Forums > Model Colloquy > why do models have to be tall?

Model

Memi Haute

MelissaLynnette-LaDiva wrote:
It doesn't pay all that well and it can suck completely.

I beg to differ. In all my experiences, runway is incredibly exciting and fun and it does pay well... if you're out of LA. Though there are the exceptions of when a big name designer from NY or Europe comes over here to do a show.

Mar 28 07 09:20 pm Link

Model

Memi Haute

Double post...

Mar 28 07 09:20 pm Link

Model

GaramMasala1315

Fairfax, Virginia, US

i want to be a model because i want to be able to represent something that is completely underrepresented.  i kind of want to prove via print that you don't have to fit the mold to be beautiful and admired by people...sounds REALLY cheesy, but it's legitimately a part of why i want to do it.  also, i enjoy modeling, i have always wanted to do it, and because of my charismatic personality and my steadfast ways, i think i could be good at what i do.  pre-med kids can be models too =]

Mar 28 07 09:21 pm Link

Model

Clare Hesse

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes, the "catwalk" can pay very well.

Mar 28 07 09:22 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

It doesn't pay all that well and it can suck completely.

Gina Mc wrote:
I beg to differ. In all my experiences, runway is incredibly exciting and fun and it does pay well... if you're out of LA. Though there are the exceptions of when a big name designer from NY or Europe comes over here to do a show.

Can.  The shows I've done weren't big names, but they were fun.  But from what I've heard, the fashion chicks in New York aren't exactly rolling in the dough these days.  Perhaps I've been lied to.

Mar 28 07 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Clare Hesse wrote:
Yes, the "catwalk" can pay very well.

it can, but more often than not it doesn't.  it is also a very overrated portion of overall opportunity for models. 

there may have been dozens of photoshoots in la today involving many, many models, but probably just a few runway bookings (if any at all) and then those probably weren't of any consequence...unless the spring fashion show for the ladies guild at the country club counts!

--face reality

Mar 28 07 09:29 pm Link

Model

Michelle Renee

chbphoto wrote:
The height requirement drives the type of modelling you do.

For fashion - you've got to look good in the dample size of the manufacturer.

For products - you need to be more petite  - it makes the product look bigger.

Same for shoes - sample size is about 7. Are there any 5'8" or taller models with small feet?

Shockingly enough, not only do I wear a size 7 and I am just over 5'9", I am also a plus size model. My feet may be the only tiny thing about me!

Mar 28 07 09:30 pm Link

Model

Ali Moon

Folsom, California, US

chbphoto wrote:
The height requirement drives the type of modelling you do.

For fashion - you've got to look good in the dample size of the manufacturer.

For products - you need to be more petite  - it makes the product look bigger.

Same for shoes - sample size is about 7. Are there any 5'8" or taller models with small feet?

I'm 5'10 and usually wear a size 6-6.5 shoe...My freakishly small feet are what I blame my clutsy-ness on. I lack a sufficient base for my height.

Mar 28 07 09:35 pm Link

Model

Michelle Renee

Alison Mooney wrote:

I'm 5'10 and usually wear a size 6-6.5 shoe...My freakishly small feet are what I blame my clutsy-ness on. I lack a sufficient base for my height.

Lol, you have me beat then, though I do often have people look at my feet, especially when in heels, and wonder how I can balance, they look like pegs!

Mar 28 07 09:39 pm Link

Model

Ali Moon

Folsom, California, US

Ha, I have a friend with size 10.5 feet (we are the same height). I sometimes put her shoes on over my shoes and march while humming circus music. She doesn't laugh along...surpisingly I am not terribly popular smile

Mar 28 07 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Lee

GUILDERLAND, New York, US

Tall women look better on camera especially if there is a background and perspective such as standing in front of a car or building.

A short model looks the same as a tall one closeup but you have to shoot the right angles so you don't make it obvious how tall she is.

Don't fret about your height anyway!!! Even if you were 5-9 or taller, there is still no guarantee that you could model full time. It's very competitive and only a few people will earn the big bucks as a model.

Mar 28 07 09:49 pm Link

Model

Megan Mariee

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

GaramMasala1315 wrote:
i love being short too...it has its perks...once again, not whining or complaining...i just never understood who they were marketing the clothes to because I don't know anyone who is 5'10 and like size 0-2.  and yeah, i'd be more than happy being a commercial model, i was just wondering why the standards were like that...my questions have been answered =]

Just because you don't know anyone like that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Mar 28 07 10:16 pm Link

Model

GaramMasala1315

Fairfax, Virginia, US

i know that they do exist, but the point was that the majority of people do not fit that mold.  sorry if i was a little unclear smile

Mar 28 07 10:23 pm Link

Model

Megan Mariee

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

GaramMasala1315 wrote:
i know that they do exist, but the point was that the majority of people do not fit that mold.  sorry if i was a little unclear smile

It's cool,
and that's very true that's why few people make a career out of modeling.

Mar 28 07 10:27 pm Link

Model

Nai Indigo

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Seriously?  You're comparing runway to slavery?  smile
And yes, a tall thin woman makes a better human hanger than a short solidly built one.

lol; comparing runway to slavery... lol *rolls eyes,* don't take it there!

Mar 28 07 10:43 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Holy hell!  You remind me of one of my old high school teamates!  She was 5'11" and wore like a 6 1/2 shoe.  She ran really prancy too.  It was hilarious.  Like a deer or something.  We used to all raz her and say she looked like she had ankles with toes!  he he  But she was so graceful and quiet she could run/sneak up behind you.  I'm the opposite.  At 6'3", I wear a 13 shoe and have some gross unfeminine clodhoppers!  lol  barges, thumper feet, I roost at the end of my bed at night  big_smile

Alison Mooney wrote:

Mar 28 07 10:43 pm Link

Model

Susanna Lee

New York, New York, US

Photography by Martin wrote:
These kinds of questions are becoming more and more common on here.  Its turning into a bunch of girls whining "I wanna be a model, why are there so many rules???  Even thought I'm short, fat, and pierced, why can't I be a model just cause I wanna be???"

I want to be an astronaut, but I'm too old, the wrong size, and I have no astronaut training.. so there.

LOL! Girls can be models, but..they just wont go anywhere with it. No billboards or any of the fancy stuff. Just regular freelancing for photographers like me smile ah well..short has its limits.

Mar 28 07 10:44 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Yeah, the bad part about being a giantess though is that photog's always cut off my feet or legs out of shots or the top of my head and I look like a Klingon!  It seems like it's very hard to shoot a tall person full length, and even when it IS done, it often comes out looking oddly proportioned, etc.  sad   Don't worry munchkins, it's not easy being an amazon either!  lol

Joe Lee wrote:
Tall women look better on camera especially if there is a background and perspective such as standing in front of a car or building.

A short model looks the same as a tall one closeup but you have to shoot the right angles so you don't make it obvious how tall she is.

Don't fret about your height anyway!!! Even if you were 5-9 or taller, there is still no guarantee that you could model full time. It's very competitive and only a few people will earn the big bucks as a model.

Mar 28 07 10:48 pm Link

Model

Andrea xox

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

So I am 6 foot and  i weigh about 140lbs! and i am damn proud of it!!
I am not some huge sucessful model, although if I was I'm sure I wouldnt be living in Saint John, New Brunswick. Anyways, I dont think you have to be tall, or super skinny or whatever, just as long as you think you can model and you think you are beautiful is all that matters!
CONFIDENCE IS A BIG THING!!
use it to your power and advantage!
anyways thats my little inspiration!!
check out my portfolio, I NEED SOME HELP!
and I am one of those girls that when i go into the convience store to buy my Rockstar energy drink before i go to work the lady behind me in line says "WOW YOUR TALL, ARE YOU A MODEL? , YOU WOULD MAKE AN AMAZING MODEL!!"
and im just like.. yeah ha thanks, but get real, I live in Saint John, New Brunswick, and unless I have 238761908356 dollars to travel, I dont think its ever going to happen, but I am going to keep on trying anyways!

Mar 28 07 11:01 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Another thing to remember:

It is not the divine right of every cute prom queen to be a model.

Mar 28 07 11:05 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Hey one thing I just thought of for all you guys that are shorter is that maybe you can do a specialty called 'fit modeling'.  No, it's not fitness!  he he   One of my guy buddies told me about it, but basically instead of doing runway shows, print ads, etc., clients hire you for your perfect body proportions to test out their clothes on you or maybe measure you to gauge how to make their clothes.  ??  Something like that.  Basically you're like a human manequin and your face isn't on magazine covers, but some fit models I've heard make more a day than print/runway models.  So if you're small, but have a really nice physique and great measurements, maybe check into that!  Just a thought.

Mar 28 07 11:09 pm Link

Model

Memi Haute

Another thing to remember:

It is not the divine right of every cute prom queen to be a model.

Too bad no one gave that piece of advice to Jada before she went on ANTM.

And when they cut her hair...damn, she looked like a mutant.

Mar 28 07 11:10 pm Link

Model

Memi Haute

Big A-Larger Than Life wrote:
Hey one thing I just thought of for all you guys that are shorter is that maybe you can do a specialty called 'fit modeling'.  No, it's not fitness!  he he   One of my guy buddies told me about it, but basically instead of doing runway shows, print ads, etc., clients hire you for your perfect body proportions to test out their clothes on you or maybe measure you to gauge how to make their clothes.  ??  Something like that.  Basically you're like a human manequin and your face isn't on magazine covers, but some fit models I've heard make more a day than print/runway models.  So if you're small, but have a really nice physique and great measurements, maybe check into that!  Just a thought.

They wouldn't use short 'fit' models. That defeats the purpose.

Mar 28 07 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Star

feel free to see my related thread, why do models have to be pretty?

or why do fighter pilots have to see well?

or why do dancers have to have rhythm?

why do artists have to have talent?

why do English teachers have to speak English?

why do biological mothers have to be female?

Mar 28 07 11:13 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Oopsies, my bad.  sad   Well there has to be something out there for all you little guys!  Maybe more commercial type stuff or something?  Just keep trying and ya'll will all find a niche eventually.

x-X Gina X-x wrote:

They wouldn't use short 'fit' models. That defeats the purpose.

Mar 28 07 11:27 pm Link

Model

Alice L

San Francisco, California, US

tall women are overrated...unless they like short guys, good luck to them trying to find taller guys  xD

but they do look better on a runway tho (cept for the freakishly skinny part)...the long bodies look really great.

the only thing i don't understand is why people casting for hair models...also require 5'8+?  do they have bigger heads or something that look better?

Mar 28 07 11:36 pm Link

Model

Memi Haute

Alice L wrote:
tall women are overrated...unless they like short guys, good luck to them trying to find taller guys  xD

but they do look better on a runway tho (cept for the freakishly skinny part)...the long bodies look really great.

the only thing i don't understand is why people casting for hair models...also require 5'8+?  do they have bigger heads or something that look better?

In my experience even at hairshows you have to walk the runway. I did two shows, one for Loreal Matrix and the other for TIGI BedHead and we had to do a runway show both times.

That's why they still require 5'8+.

And I'm pretty damn tall and have managed to find a boyfriend that is taller than me. Just can't wear heels when we go out. tongue

Mar 28 07 11:39 pm Link

Model

sofija

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Star wrote:
feel free to see my related thread, why do models have to be pretty?

or why do fighter pilots have to see well?

or why do dancers have to have rhythm?

why do artists have to have talent?

why do English teachers have to speak English?

why do biological mothers have to be female?

thank you.
it's nice to see reality stop in every once in a while.

Mar 28 07 11:41 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

It's because tall people have more hair follicles   big_smile

Alice L wrote:

Mar 28 07 11:42 pm Link

Model

Lauren Mackey

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

These kinds of questions are becoming more and more common on here.  Its turning into a bunch of girls whining "I wanna be a model, why are there so many rules???  Even thought I'm short, fat, and pierced, why can't I be a model just cause I wanna be???"

I want to be an astronaut, but I'm too old, the wrong size, and I have no astronaut training.. so there.

Or, art modeling is another fun route to go, and it doesn't always involve nudity.  Make up a photographic story and find a photographer willing to do it, or go to your local college photography department and ask if there are any art students looking for a model.  I find art modeling way more fun anyway, and you get to make fun of society! (Like on "The Simpsons")

Mar 28 07 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Didn't you jump all over me & some of my friends for answering someone in a sarcastic & critical way when they asked for feedback...?

Mar 28 07 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

To the OP, as several folks have pointed out you CAN gain some notice doing glamour work (especially if you're willing to show more skin, since women of your ethnic derivation who will do so are rare you'd gain even more notice than most this way), trade show and promo work, import & car shows, art modeling, fetish work, art modeling, etc etc.  I assume since yoou mentioned Suicide Girls you're OK with nudity, since they require it.  That openess will bring you more opportunities (and before anyone freaks I'm not saying anyone HAS to do nudity, just that for some people it can open more doors).
One of the BIG reasons for staying away from SuicideGirls is that the contract restricts you from a number of other modeling jobs and sites for YEARS after you do it, so the $500 you'd get for one set would mean you'd lose a lot more.  There're plenty of other sites out there using that kind of material who'd welcome your look without restricting you.
I go BONKERS trying to find women of different ethnic groups for some of my projects, I've certainly had little luck finding women of Indian descent for my "Goddesses" series and would include you in a heartbeat if you were closer...heck, I'd do it regardless of distance if we had travel plans that'd cross.  I can't be the only guy out there who wants your look in his book!
You may not get rich & famous but you could certainly get some notice and make some extra money and have some great photos & memories.
And every little bit you do will help get notice outside of Bollywood!
Things are changing a bit for the better in that regards, keep in mind that one of the top models in the world right now looks a lot like you:
https://www.sepiamutiny.com/sepia/archives/cosmo.jpg

Mar 29 07 12:13 am Link

Model

Alice L

San Francisco, California, US

x-X Gina X-x wrote:
In my experience even at hairshows you have to walk the runway. I did two shows, one for Loreal Matrix and the other for TIGI BedHead and we had to do a runway show both times.

That's why they still require 5'8+.

And I'm pretty damn tall and have managed to find a boyfriend that is taller than me. Just can't wear heels when we go out. tongue

lol...good for you!  smile

oh, i thought hair modeling was for photoshoots, not runway  -_-''  grr.  and i thought parts modeling allowed shorter models.

Mar 29 07 12:22 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Oh, BTW, for the OP, you might want to reconsider the part of your profile where you talk abotu wanting to find one photographer to be your exclusive photographer.
Not only would most of the people who'd look for something like that tend to be internet model manager losers, but by putting something that limiting in there you're going to run off other good opportunities.

Mar 29 07 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Martin

Tyler, Minnesota, US

baby_bugaboo wrote:
So I am 6 foot and  i weigh about 140lbs! and i am damn proud of it!!
I am not some huge sucessful model, although if I was I'm sure I wouldnt be living in Saint John, New Brunswick. Anyways, I dont think you have to be tall, or super skinny or whatever, just as long as you think you can model and you think you are beautiful is all that matters!
CONFIDENCE IS A BIG THING!!
use it to your power and advantage!
anyways thats my little inspiration!!
check out my portfolio, I NEED SOME HELP!
and I am one of those girls that when i go into the convience store to buy my Rockstar energy drink before i go to work the lady behind me in line says "WOW YOUR TALL, ARE YOU A MODEL? , YOU WOULD MAKE AN AMAZING MODEL!!"
and im just like.. yeah ha thanks, but get real, I live in Saint John, New Brunswick, and unless I have 238761908356 dollars to travel, I dont think its ever going to happen, but I am going to keep on trying anyways!

Yeah, I know what you're talking about.  There was this really short guy in line at the grocery store, and everyone was like. "wow, you're really short.  Are you a jockey?  You'd make a great jockey!"

Mar 29 07 12:38 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

direct reply to the OP...

i gather the search function was too complicated to employ?

well, ya know... i think... no i'm sure... if only "the industry" had been aware that YOU were out there, they would have designed and cut all the samples to your size and would get rid of all the tall girls cause they'd look so fekkin stupid in stuff that didn't fit and look like gulliver when walking beside you. oh and the guys would have to be replaced too cause... well they're just too tall to fit well in the frame with you.

yep, if only the powers that be knew of your existence and how unfair this was to you, they'd change. i'm sure of it.

Mar 29 07 12:48 am Link

Model

Mr Applewhite

Brooklyn, New York, US

I wont lie, at these times im glad to be 6'2 (-=

Mar 29 07 12:50 am Link

Model

GaramMasala1315

Fairfax, Virginia, US

like i said before, it was a question i was wondering for quite a while and i walked into this discussion knowing that things would not changed...if they haven't for a good 20+ years, they wont on my account.  i was not implying i would want the industry to change to accommodate me for my height/weight/ethnicity or whatever.  and like i said , i don't really care if i'm restricted as to what i can participate in in the modeling industry because regardless of whether it is print or art, i will work my damned hardest to churn out a good photo.  it was a simple question that has been answered over and over and i understood it the first time around...i'm not a simpleton and i am new to the site so i did not know you could search previous forum topics, etc.  i apologize for asking a legitimate question if it will not be responded to in a mature manner.

Mar 29 07 02:28 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

GaramMasala1315 wrote:
like i said before, it was a question i was wondering for quite a while and i walked into this discussion knowing that things would not changed...if they haven't for a good 20+ years, they wont on my account.  i was not implying i would want the industry to change to accommodate me for my height/weight/ethnicity or whatever.  and like i said , i don't really care if i'm restricted as to what i can participate in in the modeling industry because regardless of whether it is print or art, i will work my damned hardest to churn out a good photo.  it was a simple question that has been answered over and over and i understood it the first time around...i'm not a simpleton and i am new to the site so i did not know you could search previous forum topics, etc.  i apologize for asking a legitimate question if it will not be responded to in a mature manner.

Hey, please check my responses just above, I was wholly sincere both in what I said to you & in my desire to work with you smile

Mar 29 07 02:34 am Link

Model

RachelA

Detroit, Alabama, US

Modeling is a job for which you need to be qualified.
Fashion models need to be tall and thin because they serve, essentially, as hangers for clothing.

Modeling is a prevelidge, not a right.
I wish I could be a brain surgeon, but I'm not qualified, just like you are not qualified for high fashion modeling.

Mar 29 07 03:37 am Link