Forums > General Industry > Speaking of plus size models....

Photographer

Tommy Mc Photography

Carson, California, US

Real Women, Real Sizes, etc are industry and marketing terms used very often. I am surprised to see so many people kind of upset with the terms.

Skinny high fashion models are also called "straight models" while plus models are called "curvy."

The plus models I have worked with a while back were some of the most professional models I have ever dealt with.

May 18 05 05:54 am Link

Model

REID

Atlanta, Georgia, US

We WOMEN need to just be comfortable within our own skins & celebrate each other's individuals unique qualities.  I too agree with SHYLY's post....if you're femal, alive and breathing on this side of the soil then YES... YOU'RE A "REAL" WOMAN! 
Be Curvy or Straight...whatever makes you happy DO YOU!
I love being a plus sized print model... I enjoy it.  So look at self and appreciate YOU... not some label the industry tags you with.
Now for the haters...no need for that catty junk...let it go.
""Being a Full Figured Model IS NOT a Crime Its A Investigation!"

May 18 05 09:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

Posted by Kayeanda: 
I think that maybe what Alexandria was trying to say...Aside from the real thing, was that we all have to face the facts, that the majority of photographers out there, want to work with skinnier, and more fit models. Which is fine. But she was saying that seeing this beautiful woman who has curves and isnt skinny competing on National Television against dozens of Fit and skinnier women gave her and other, either plus size or just curvaceous women Hope and told them that they can do it.
Skinnier models have a wider range of work that they can do, then larger women do, and I have worked with tons of photographers, some who are okay with girls with a little extra fat, but most who flat out object to it.
So I think that maybe she just put it the wrong way..if not..then this is just my take on it.

I have a feeling that is what she meant too..she just worded things in a way that it was interpreted different (granted i could be wrong too, but this is what i gathered from it all)..now i see the true genius behind the name of this site Model MAYHEM. you got that right..lmao

May 18 05 09:53 pm Link