This thread was locked on 2008-10-21 19:26:22
Forums > General Industry > In praise of MATURE MODELS

Model

Cathleen hope

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

At 45, I am starting to appreciate to the fullest the capabilities of my physique and my modeling.  I'm more confident than I ever have been in my life!  why not share it with the world and all the photogs who would like to capture it?

:-)

Apr 03 07 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

kevintobeystudios

Dakota City, Iowa, US

Susan Arruda wrote:
38  and holding!

Apr 03 07 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

kevintobeystudios

Dakota City, Iowa, US

Susan Arruda wrote:
38  and holding!

my point exactly

Apr 03 07 02:55 pm Link

Model

Susan Arruda

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

lol!

Apr 03 07 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

New Tampa Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Susan Arruda wrote:
38  and holding!

Susan, I checked out your port. Now that's what I'm talking about!

Apr 03 07 03:02 pm Link

Model

Susan Arruda

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

New Tampa Photography wrote:

Susan, I checked out your port. Now that's what I'm talking about!

Very kind. Thank you!

Apr 03 07 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

DRL - Toshima-bijin

Austin, Texas, US

Point of interest.  One of the models in my portfolio is 59 years old.  That's right she is a sensual 59.  Can you tell which model she is?

Apr 03 07 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Having just turned 50 myself, I certainly appreciate "mature" models - I actually hate that term , but for lack of a better I use it. They have learned not to work to be pretty, sexy, glamorous, erotic, whatever - they just are.

Ironically though, out of all my efforts to work with a model in that range, I have actually not had any luck. Several never reply, one was a no show after I drove 50 miles and had several conversations with, one just evaporated after being very interested in my ideas, and a third completely flaked with a long, rambling email at 2:00 a.m. in which she referred to all kinds of things I never even brought up. And we had long, in depth conversations for about 2 weeks regarding the shoot. And 2 of those 3 are on MM Forums regularly.

So I am still waiting for the proof that "mature" models have a better work ethic and reliability than younger models. I have had many 18 - 25 year old models who were totally relaible and professional.

Of course, I am shooting Christa (Ce Ce) in a couple of weeks, and I am pretty confidant that will go well, especially as she actually called me today about the shoot.

Apr 03 07 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Greg Kolack wrote:
Having just turned 50 myself, I certainly appreciate "mature" models - I actually hate that term , but for lack of a better I use it. They have learned not to work to be pretty, sexy, glamorous, erotic, whatever - they just are.

Ironically though, out of all my efforts to work with a model in that range, I have actually not had any luck. Several never reply, one was a no show after I drove 50 miles and had several conversations with, one just evaporated after being very interested in my ideas, and a third completely flaked with a long, rambling email at 2:00 a.m. in which she referred to all kinds of things I never even brought up. And we had long, in depth conversations for about 2 weeks regarding the shoot. And 2 of those 3 are on MM Forums regularly.

So I am still waiting for the proof that "mature" models have a better work ethic and reliability than younger models. I have had many 18 - 25 year old models who were totally relaible and professional.

Of course, I am shooting Christa (Ce Ce) in a couple of weeks, and I am pretty confidant that will go well, especially as she actually called me today about the shoot.

Christa is 199515, by the way. Total class act.

Apr 03 07 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

DRL - Toshima-bijin

Austin, Texas, US

Greg Kolack wrote:
.... I certainly appreciate "mature" models - I actually hate that term , but for lack of a better I use it. They have learned not to work to be pretty, sexy, glamorous, erotic, whatever - they just are.
Ironically though, out of all my efforts to work with a model in that range, I have actually not had any luck. Several never reply, ..........

Greg

I agree, maturity (if we equate maturity with age) and responsibility / courtesy / etc are not directly related.  There are no-shows of every age (and that is not restricted to models, it also applies to photographers, people in the service industry, people in business, etc).  No-show and no-response behavior are endemic in our society.

But we can all agree that mature models do bring something special to the photo session and the creation of art.  Of course, younger models can also bring something unique to the session, it is just something different.

Apr 03 07 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Studio B

Newport News, Virginia, US

Photography by Martin wrote:

Not the same kinda mature, and most can't hold a candle to the 40something WOMAN... smile

Amen!!

Apr 03 07 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

KJG Studio

Polson, Montana, US

I have to agree, so many older models have what it takes. Its so easy to get the looks needed to make great work!!! I have worked with several and love it!!! Julie Montana, Tomiko and Lindy Blu are just a few!!! Keep up the great work Ladies!!!

Apr 03 07 06:18 pm Link

Model

L E O III

Toledo, Ohio, US

I'll be turning 40 at the end of the year!

https://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/lionthelion/Jeansonstairs.jpg

Apr 03 07 06:34 pm Link

Model

Carmen the MILF

Sanford, North Carolina, US

Natashka wrote:
I'm glad to hear there is such strong support for mature models. I am hoping that work comes through for us.

ME TOO!
The more shoots I do, the word gets out...and I get really busy at times. Glad to know people think this way...its nice!

Apr 03 07 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Vinny Cag

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

I love working with mature models.  I think they have fewer hang ups, are more comfortable with themselves and have a lot more fun on shoots.  I would love to shoot many more mature models... "hint, hint", lol

Apr 03 07 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Ageless Beauty wrote:

Greg

I agree, maturity (if we equate maturity with age) and responsibility / courtesy / etc are not directly related.  There are no-shows of every age (and that is not restricted to models, it also applies to photographers, people in the service industry, people in business, etc).  No-show and no-response behavior are endemic in our society.

But we can all agree that mature models do bring something special to the photo session and the creation of art.  Of course, younger models can also bring something unique to the session, it is just something different.

I absolutely agree. I was just pointing out that the old adage of olders model are more responsible than younger models is not necessarily true.

Apr 04 07 12:32 am Link

Photographer

DRL - imagography

Austin, Texas, US

Ageless Beauty wrote:
Point of interest.  One of the models in my portfolio is 59 years old.  That's right she is a sensual 59.  Can you tell which model she is?

Wow!  I agree, she is a sensual 59 years old.

Apr 04 07 10:32 am Link

Model

LolaQ

Hmmm...I prefer the term "vintage model."  I'm not always mature.  ;-)

I will say this, I have way more self confidence and sex appeal than I ever had in my 20's.  As far as I'm concerned, my life started when I turned 40.

Kisses to all you vintage model lovers!!!

Lola, 42 and holding...

Apr 04 07 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

DRL - Toshima-bijin

Austin, Texas, US

Leo 3 wrote:
I'll be turning 40 at the end of the year!

Good to see a male model contributing to this thread.

Apr 04 07 01:30 pm Link

Model

LolaQ

Ageless Beauty wrote:
Let's hear it for MATURE MODELS. 

Mature models have a sensuality that comes with age, wisdom, and confidence; and this sensuality comes through in their images. 

I find that mature models are willing to experiment with poses and locations in the name of developing artistic images.  That explains why mature models have portfolios with a variety of images that go beyond straight portraits.

Finally, it is my experience that mature models are punctual, courteous, and a pleasure to work with. 

So a tip of the lens cap to mature models.
I wish there were more of them.

Doug

Much love to you for this thread!  :-)

Apr 04 07 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

New Tampa Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Check out this model, she is 57
https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=2568414

Apr 04 07 02:36 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

I am 42 and its sort of fun to show up at a shoot and discover that you're older than some of the other model's parents.

Apr 04 07 03:49 pm Link

Model

Shaunal

Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada

I'm 46 soon!

Apr 04 07 03:53 pm Link

Model

Rosa Linda

Miami, Florida, US

Hooray for the over 40 Model!!!
I am a 46 year old and I love myself and I love to Model.  I have no inhibitions either and talk about punctuality I like to be on time before the photographer unless we ride together.  I love that there could be many models over 40 and loving it. 
Thank you for posting a wonderful thread on the over 40 model!
Rosa.............

Apr 04 07 03:55 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Art of Vincent Wolff

Wheaton, Illinois, US

April Wednesday wrote:
just turned 32 yesterday, and I'm a mother of four...

thank you for seeing our value.  Women are beautiful in every stage of life...

Happy Birthday--great port

Apr 04 07 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Garcia

Walnut, California, US

Amen to mature models. Although, I married my girlfriend when she was 24. That was 30 years ago.....  ")

Apr 04 07 04:00 pm Link

Model

Clarisse

Society Hill, New Jersey, US

34 and loving it!

Apr 04 07 05:43 pm Link

Model

CagedGypsy

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Ageless Beauty wrote:

Good to see a male model contributing to this thread.

And quite a handsome man at that.

~blushes~ Sorry

Apr 04 07 06:56 pm Link

Model

PrissyBabe

Osceola, Arkansas, US

Do I honestly look 46? I think i look as good as some of these 20 year olds... lol.. I stay in shape, my boobs aren't saggy (haha), I have a nice tan and everything i have is all real...lol.....  I also have a very pretty smile and i know how to respect everyone from young to older people. Thanks Texas !! ~PrissyBabe~

Apr 04 07 07:57 pm Link

Model

Gail L

Sarasota, Florida, US

Wow, what a great thread that is so close to my heart!  It is so encouraging to see all these wonderful and positive responses.  I've only been modeling for five or six years now, but at 49, I'm busier than ever.  Thank you all for your very kind support for us mature models!

~Gail

Apr 04 07 08:36 pm Link

Model

Shelly Strasner

Oceanside, California, US

thankyou agless beauty you rock
    shelly

Apr 04 07 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Ageless Beauty wrote:
Let's hear it for MATURE MODELS. 

Mature models have a sensuality that comes with age, wisdom, and confidence; and this sensuality comes through in their images. 

I find that mature models are willing to experiment with poses and locations in the name of developing artistic images.  That explains why mature models have portfolios with a variety of images that go beyond straight portraits.

Finally, it is my experience that mature models are punctual, courteous, and a pleasure to work with. 

So a tip of the lens cap to mature models.
I wish there were more of them.

Doug

Ditto that!

I'm always on the lookout for models 30 and up. They've been my best shoots. I agree with everything you've posted.

Apr 04 07 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Darker-Side of-Midnight wrote:
But hey What do I know I will always be 27 in my heart.... its the rest of me that aged...

He-he... wink

I love my Lew!

Apr 04 07 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Julie Montana wrote:
We may not be perfect as far as the 20 year old body!!! But old chicks rock!!!! I am 41 and enjoying each shoot more then the last!!!

Julie, you rock! I'm so sad I didn't make it to the studio while you were here. I ended up getting sick that weekend. I saw most of the work you did while you were here. Looks like it was a very productive week. Just wish I could've added to it.
sad

And I'm such an idiot for getting the dates/months confused in our e-mails. Hope you forgive me.

Apr 04 07 11:03 pm Link

Model

Terry Wheaton

Littleton, Massachusetts, US

Kudos to you for recognizing that youth and silicone don't equal sexiness; maturity with substance always garners a second look and a sexiness that youth will never be able to exude.

Apr 05 07 08:47 am Link

Photographer

DRL - Toshima-bijin

Austin, Texas, US

JoJo Suicide wrote:
I am 42 and its sort of fun to show up at a shoot and discover that you're older than some of the other model's parents.

I picked up on this comment and posted a photo of a mother and daughter.
Comments are welcome and appreciated.

Doug

Apr 05 07 11:10 am Link

Photographer

The Rock Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Hey are there any great 40+ models in vancouver who love modeling nudes?

Where are they?

Love the 40 + !

Apr 05 07 11:28 am Link

Model

Trinette

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I'm turning 34 very soon.  I met a model this weekend who is the same age of me and posts that she is in her late twenties.  Apparently, she didn't get much work at 33.  Kinda blew my mind.  Granted, her address denotes a much higher level of competition, but it got me thinking. 

Thinking that I'd never do that.  I've hit some hurdles in thirties, they have tested me, but I wouldn't trade it for the world, seriously. 

I truly believe that real photography involves the capture of real emotion.  I think older models are just able to project them better because they have more.  I'm sure I'm over simplifying it, but you get the point.

As a general rule, I have had better chemistry with photographers that were also in my age bracket and older.  Better pictures too.

Apr 05 07 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

it just keeps getting better......

Apr 05 07 11:32 am Link

Model

MzFit

Cleveland, Ohio, US

hwat n nastybabe wrote:
it just keeps getting better......

Just look at that face on your avi! She is so cute!!! 43 here and lovin life!

Apr 05 07 11:38 am Link