Forums > Photography Talk > Underage models? Never again..

Photographer

Visual Eden Studios

Chicago, Illinois, US

Nick Zantop wrote:

From the Agencie de la ModeleMayhame

https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=304526

I get to shoot her in Late July! I have a swim wear designer creating something just for her...one off couture!

Good luck Nick...we can duel withour Megan pix here later wink

Jul 11 07 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Taryn True

Union City, New Jersey, US

well if she is a few months shy of 18, just wait until then if you feel it's worth it.

working with underage models is hard, because ultimately it is not THEIR say. you are basically at the will of their parent or guardian. its like a lease on their child for the day. who some, may not be very openminded to that.

Jul 11 07 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Jack Fleming Photo

Granville, Ohio, US

Doesn't matter (in this scenario or not) if she's underage. Anyone who acts like that is a turn off. And "Stage Mom" needs to exit left.

Had I been in that meeting with the Mom and been so crossed, I would have politely excused myself (after having provided all that you did), handed them both my card and said "if you change your mind, please call my cell phone. You have directions to the location. I have other appointments to keep with professionals who value my abilities and respect my time. Thank you very much for making the time to come and meet with me and allow me to explain what I do. My work here is finished."

Put yourself in demand. I think my response above is cordial, respectful, professional, and assertive. it commands an "I have other commitments to be responsible to" and I need to respect the needs of those who have agreed to the terms of the shoot.

If they are still mad and on the defensive you can't change them and you did nothing wrong.

Good luck!

Jul 11 07 01:20 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

You think that only happens with models under 18?

Jul 11 07 01:23 am Link

Photographer

eyetoeye-Images

Memphis, Alabama, US

photiesto wrote:
So, recently, I was traveling 300+ miles away from my hometown to shoot in the mountains, and decided to check out a few model ports in hopes of finding someone available to shoot with. After contacting several models, i was in turn contacted by a 17 year old (who was turning 18 within a month or so) who was interested in being part of the shoot which did NOT involve nudity of any kind.

So, the arrangements were made, and I left a day early with the intent of meeting the model, having her look over my portfolio, letting her know what was involved in the project, etc. Halfway from my home the her hometown (the shoot location was another hours' drive past her hometown) my cell rings, and it's her. She's telling me she has to cancel, because of her mother who had apparently decided t was my intention to kidnap her daughter and do horrid things to her.

So, I kind of get on the defensive, and calmly, I explain the fact that I'm married, have kids, my wife works for the catholic school board, gave her my credentials, work history, previous and current employers, etc - I even went so far as to have the models mother contact my parents who live in the same town as her. After half an hour on the phone, I hang up, and fume for a bit.

A few minutes later, the phone rings again, and it's her, telling me her mother wants a sit down and a face to face meet. Not a problem, so we arrange a meet on the south end of town. So, in marches her and her mother, and her mother makes it absolutely clear from the word GO that she is NOT a friendly person. She is cold, hostile, and non-conversational and I spend the next hour defending myself from all her "red flag" accusations. IE: why my home phone number isn't listed in the phone book (My home phone is VIOP) etc.

So, after all of that, they leave, and I sit there, pissed off, feeling like a jerk that just had to prove himself as someone who is NOT a GWC. What pisses me off the most is that I put out an ad for a model, the girl answered the ad AS a model, and then I had to sit there and defend my intentions as though I'd sought out HER. All arrangements were made long before the shoot was to take place, and of this stuff took place last minute on my way to meet the model.. Not to mention that there was other photographers at the shoot, other models, and it was a well chaperoned event. (I even had another photographer from the shoot come to the meeting to confirm everything I'd told them)

Add to all, the girl looks to be at LEAST 24, works full time in a law firm, has her own car, has a port full of work from previous shoots, and is mature well beyond her years and seemed to be well in control of her own modeling career.

As of now, I have yet to hear back from the model, who said (even at the meeting with her mother) that she was still interested in shooting, and would like me to keep her in mind for future projects and what not, has blown me off in all attempt to follow up and see what her intentions are.. (I just got a "I'm taking a hiatus" copout)

So, moral of the story?

At all costs, avoid working with underage models, no matter what her circumstances might be. It was a huge, monumental waste of my time, money and effort. I will never, ever, ever - under any circumstances, even feign interest in working with someone underage again, period.

Sorry but the Catholic issue you can blame your church I'd be just as cautious with someone proclaiming they were religious.....there are a lot of perverts in the church as well...

I would never drive that far to meet with a 17 year old that I haven't talked with at least someone who is of age to be a parent or guardian......sorry no support from me you kinda deserve every bit of hostility the mother gave you.

Jul 11 07 01:29 am Link

Photographer

d30john

San Diego, California, US

photiesto wrote:
She was one of those women who was very photogenic, beautiful, and most of all, was willing to do whatever it took to get the shot. IE, if you asked her to stand barefoot in a knee-deep creek in February, she would. Considering that the shoot before that was a bunch of princesses whining about their hair getting messed up in the wind, I was quite eager to have a model who could take direction and was willing to be uncomfortable for a few minutes in order to get the shot.

What's wrong with this picture?  The OP have never worked or met with the model before.  How would he knows she is reliable or not.  In fact, she wasn't even a referral from a friend.  He stated she found him by answering an ad.  Like previously examples, he is trying paint a pretty rose, skewing his story, to cover up his creepy actions.  I just don't buy his BS. let me guess, he is going to reply "she told me so" LOL  LOL  LOL

Jul 11 07 08:43 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

photiesto wrote:
So, recently, I was traveling 300+ miles away from my hometown to shoot in the mountains, and decided to check out a few model ports in hopes of finding someone available to shoot with. After contacting several models, i was in turn contacted by a 17 year old (who was turning 18 within a month or so) who was interested in being part of the shoot which did NOT involve nudity of any kind.

So, the arrangements were made, and I left a day early with the intent of meeting the model, having her look over my portfolio, letting her know what was involved in the project, etc. Halfway from my home the her hometown (the shoot location was another hours' drive past her hometown) my cell rings, and it's her. She's telling me she has to cancel, because of her mother who had apparently decided t was my intention to kidnap her daughter and do horrid things to her.

So, I kind of get on the defensive, and calmly, I explain the fact that I'm married, have kids, my wife works for the catholic school board, gave her my credentials, work history, previous and current employers, etc - I even went so far as to have the models mother contact my parents who live in the same town as her. After half an hour on the phone, I hang up, and fume for a bit.

A few minutes later, the phone rings again, and it's her, telling me her mother wants a sit down and a face to face meet. Not a problem, so we arrange a meet on the south end of town. So, in marches her and her mother, and her mother makes it absolutely clear from the word GO that she is NOT a friendly person. She is cold, hostile, and non-conversational and I spend the next hour defending myself from all her "red flag" accusations. IE: why my home phone number isn't listed in the phone book (My home phone is VIOP) etc.

So, after all of that, they leave, and I sit there, pissed off, feeling like a jerk that just had to prove himself as someone who is NOT a GWC. What pisses me off the most is that I put out an ad for a model, the girl answered the ad AS a model, and then I had to sit there and defend my intentions as though I'd sought out HER. All arrangements were made long before the shoot was to take place, and of this stuff took place last minute on my way to meet the model.. Not to mention that there was other photographers at the shoot, other models, and it was a well chaperoned event. (I even had another photographer from the shoot come to the meeting to confirm everything I'd told them)

Add to all, the girl looks to be at LEAST 24, works full time in a law firm, has her own car, has a port full of work from previous shoots, and is mature well beyond her years and seemed to be well in control of her own modeling career.

As of now, I have yet to hear back from the model, who said (even at the meeting with her mother) that she was still interested in shooting, and would like me to keep her in mind for future projects and what not, has blown me off in all attempt to follow up and see what her intentions are.. (I just got a "I'm taking a hiatus" copout)

So, moral of the story?

At all costs, avoid working with underage models, no matter what her circumstances might be. It was a huge, monumental waste of my time, money and effort. I will never, ever, ever - under any circumstances, even feign interest in working with someone underage again, period.

you this your that ...so what ...you still do things to her daughter
ever think that.....why didnt you just invite her mom to go also?

Jul 11 07 08:49 am Link