Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Overheard in New York

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Just for laughs this was overheard in the Queens Plaza Station:

Ghetto girl #1: ...so I was talkin' to that guy and his accent was so fuckin' hot--guys from there have accents for whatever--and I'm like, "Yo, why you got an accent? You only live like 20 miles away." I was like, "Nigga, what the fuck is up with havin' an accent and bein' from Louisiana?" He then be lookin' at me like I swallowed my own piss.

Ghetto girl #2: You so stupid. His accent be the thing that make you want him. You so stupid. Know why? I don't think he even had an accent; you probably thought he was from Jamaica or something. Just because he black. You a bad liar too. People from Louisiana can't have accents. That's for people from different parts of the world, like the Canadians in Europe. Canada's such a fuckin' weird country, but they got hot accents. If you from Louisiana, you sound just like you do if you from New York, and if you from New Jersey. If you from Canada, you sound mad different, because it's on the other side.

Ghetto girl #1: Well nah, I knew Canada was overseas...but they ain't got accents. I'm tellin' ya though, this fuckin' Louisiana guy has a fuckin' accent...and it's not even as far as Canada...Louisiana is a drive away; it's fuckin' nuts. I just wish I could make out with him so that I could feel his fuckin' Louisiana lips, but then I guess I be wrong, he can't be from Louisiana. So I guess I'ma dream of kissin' him when we be in Canada. It's across the world and great.

Bystander guy: The sad thing about this is that you two will probably become teachers.

--Queens Plaza station

Nov 05 05 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

yo, Adrian, I'm from joesey , lol

Nov 05 05 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Just for laughs this was overheard in the Queens Plaza Station:

Ghetto girl #1: ...so I was talkin' to that guy and his accent was so fuckin' hot--guys from there have accents for whatever--and I'm like, "Yo, why you got an accent? You only live like 20 miles away." I was like, "Nigga, what the fuck is up with havin' an accent and bein' from Louisiana?" He then be lookin' at me like I swallowed my own piss.

Ghetto girl #2: You so stupid. His accent be the thing that make you want him. You so stupid. Know why? I don't think he even had an accent; you probably thought he was from Jamaica or something. Just because he black. You a bad liar too. People from Louisiana can't have accents. That's for people from different parts of the world, like the Canadians in Europe. Canada's such a fuckin' weird country, but they got hot accents. If you from Louisiana, you sound just like you do if you from New York, and if you from New Jersey. If you from Canada, you sound mad different, because it's on the other side.

Ghetto girl #1: Well nah, I knew Canada was overseas...but they ain't got accents. I'm tellin' ya though, this fuckin' Louisiana guy has a fuckin' accent...and it's not even as far as Canada...Louisiana is a drive away; it's fuckin' nuts. I just wish I could make out with him so that I could feel his fuckin' Louisiana lips, but then I guess I be wrong, he can't be from Louisiana. So I guess I'ma dream of kissin' him when we be in Canada. It's across the world and great.

Bystander guy: The sad thing about this is that you two will probably become teachers.

--Queens Plaza station

ROTFWL!

Nov 05 05 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

Were they weaaring that drapy shit?

Nov 05 05 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

Sorry.. I was laughin' so hard I couldn't type!!!!

Nov 05 05 07:10 pm Link

Model

balletkatelyn

New York, New York, US

huh... that is hilarious...

Nov 05 05 07:11 pm Link

Model

Smith

New York, New York, US

LOL I love listening to people's conversations on the subway...it's hilarious

Nov 05 05 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Champion Hamilton

New York, New York, US

lmao.... and I thought I heard some twisted convos on the train.

What's worse is that guy is probably right.

Nov 05 05 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

No way. You made that up. Please tell me that was NOT a real conversation.

And if it WAS a real conversation, please tell me they each got hit by a bus. We do not need them polluting the gene pool.

Nov 05 05 07:44 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Tell me, was her name Suga?  Just wondering, she's just so hard to forget.

Nov 05 05 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Aswad Issa

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Looks like we have a skinhead rally in progress...

Nov 05 05 07:48 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Aswad Issa wrote:
Looks like we have a skinhead rally in progress...

No, not that I'm aware of.

Nov 05 05 07:48 pm Link

Model

Gone Baby Gone

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Model Sarah wrote:
Canada's such a fuckin' weird country, but they got hot accents.

Well, the second part is true.

It's conversations such as that one that make me refuse to ride the bus without a walkman.

Nov 05 05 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Aswad Issa

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

ModelPrincess wrote:
No, not that I'm aware of.

Obviously

Nov 05 05 08:26 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Aswad Issa wrote:

Obviously

I'm not a skinhead, I'm carrying a bi-racial child as we speak. As for everyone else, well I couldn't tell ya. I don't get the feel that it's that way though. Just a little comment over a silly conversation. I don't even think the OP said if they were black, hispanic, or any other race. It's just a funny conversation.

Nov 05 05 08:31 pm Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

Queens Plaza?
You should hear what I hear at Roosevelt ave and F train !!!

Nov 05 05 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Aswad Issa

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

ModelPrincess wrote:
I'm not a skinhead, I'm carrying a bi-racial child as we speak. As for everyone else, well I couldn't tell ya. I don't get the feel that it's that way though. Just a little comment over a silly conversation. I don't even think the OP said if they were black, hispanic, or any other race. It's just a funny conversation.

Um, the odds of you seeing a group of white kids at Queens Plaza talking loudly and calling each other "niggers" is less than 0.001%. Even if the OP says they are white, I would never believe it.

Perhaps you are not a skinhead... I don't know you... maybe you think this is harmless and funny, but do you think your unborn child would find this funny? I'm not attacking you here... just posing an honest question.

Nov 05 05 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Aswad Issa

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
And if it WAS a real conversation, please tell me they each got hit by a bus.

Nah, they should have been hung from a tree for speaking like that...

Nov 05 05 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Wow... That's harsh.

Nov 05 05 08:51 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Oh lord...I heart the subway system...I hear my most mindless conversations on the J train...

Nov 05 05 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Aswad Issa

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

T H Taylor wrote:
Wow... That's harsh.

Hey... what's wrong with a lil' Jim Crow every now and again?

Nov 05 05 08:52 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Aswad Issa wrote:

Um, the odds of seeing a group of white kids at Queens Plaza talking loudly and calling each other "niggers" is less than 0.001%. Even if the OP says they are white, I would never believe it.

Perhaps you are not a skinhead... I don't know you... maybe you think this is harmless and funny, but do you think your unborn child would find this funny? I'm not attacking you here... just posing an honest question.

I do hear many hispanics and whites talking like this all the time. Ignorant folks come from all races. Honestly I feel sorry for people who are old enough to be on a train alone, but have no concept of how to speak correctly. At the same time, when people are in pulic, they have a choice of how to act. If someone chooses not to complete their education, or not to use it, do I feel sorry for that? I would not find it funny if someone was making racial slurs, of course. I don't think that's the case here. I do understand what you're saying Maybe I took it a little to light heartedly, maybe not. But I definitely don't want to be classified as anything like a skinhead, because nothing is further than the truth.

Nov 05 05 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

I feel sorry for anyone on the train that thinks Canada is overseas.

Nov 05 05 08:55 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Mike Cummings wrote:
I feel sorry for anyone on the train that thinks Canada is overseas.

I think that's the real point here! Thanks for taking all the complication out of this!

Nov 05 05 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hmmm.
Some might take expection at someone
being called Ghetto girl.
We don't have to be told she was Africian Americian.
At times we can all be a bit senstive about things said
and maybe we should all learn to laugh at
ourselves but I'm not so sure we have reached
that point.

Nov 05 05 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Funny how every thread turns into a huge flaming session... "why can't we all just get along?"

Nov 05 05 08:57 pm Link

Model

Jordyn

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
No way. You made that up. Please tell me that was NOT a real conversation.

And if it WAS a real conversation, please tell me they each got hit by a bus. We do not need them polluting the gene pool.

I know that's right, we got enough stupid ,ignorant, and fucked up people in the world. We don't need anymore or having them roam free to procreate with others to make more ignorant people for us to deal with

Nov 05 05 08:58 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Hmmm.
Some might take expection at someone
being called Ghetto girl.
We don't have to be told she was Africian Americian.
At times we can all be a bit senstive about things said
and maybe we should all learn to laugh at
ourselves but I'm not so sure we have reached
that point.

I used to live in the Ghetto, and I loved it! I was called ghetto all the time. I don't act ghetto, but the word isn't that serious. Ghetto doesn't mean that the person is not white. I've seen people acting ghetto in every color!

Nov 05 05 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Aswad Issa wrote:

Hey... what's wrong with a lil' Jim Crow every now and again?

Damn, you had to break out with Jim Crow, didn't you??

Nov 05 05 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

ModelPrincess wrote:
I used to live in the Ghetto, and I loved it! I was called ghetto all the time. I don't act ghetto, but the word isn't that serious. Ghetto doesn't mean that the person is not white. I've seen people acting ghetto in every color!

You know, I actually agree with you on everything but, keep in mind, a ghetto is a group of people (usually of one race), congregated in one area.  Not too many white ghettos in America (unless you include trailer parks!! smile )

Nov 05 05 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

T H Taylor wrote:
Damn, you had to break out with Jim Crow, didn't you??

https://www.matsune.com/wbc/worldsbestweb/heckjeck.jpg
I never can keep them straight, which one was Jim?

Nov 05 05 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

While that may be true most of the time
when its used as in the word urban
or the 'N' word its to discribe a person
of color.  I've never heard anyone White
called Ghetto.  Maybe I don't get out enough.
Is this a funny post?  Sure, hell I laughed but
some people understandbly might find certain
words a poor choice.
Heres a joke.  I'm half Black and half spanish.
I'm too lazy to steal.
I like that joke.  However because of our
history some people find humour no matter
how innocent crude.

Nov 05 05 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
words a poor choice.
I'm too lazy to steal.
how innocent crude.

I'm black, scottish, irish, native ameriacan and french creole...
I'm to drunk, cheap, ignorant and poor to steal from you while teaching you how to cook!

Nov 05 05 09:11 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

T H Taylor wrote:

You know, I actually agree with you on everything but, keep in mind, a ghetto is a group of people (usually of one race), congregated in one area.  Not too many white ghettos in America (unless you include trailer parks!! smile )

Right, but living in the ghetto, and acting ghetto, are 2 different things. Anyone can talk slang, or be looking for themselves(I used to think I was black). I just wasn't feeling that this topic was going to turn into this. I didn't feel a racial undertone from the OP, just a conversation from some girls who aeren't sure where Canada is!

Nov 05 05 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Aswad Issa

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

ModelPrincess wrote:
But I definitely don't want to be classified as anything like a skinhead, because nothing is further than the truth.

You know, I just don't find humor in white people designating black &/or hispanic young ladies as "ghetto girls." As politically incorrect as I am, I just don't see that as funny.

I agree that ignorance has no color, but I know these were definitely not white girls - even if the OP says they are. I was also a NYC public school teacher for 6 years and I know for a fact that kids like this will never end up teaching for the NYCDOE. Teachers in NYC happen to be some of the most highly educated individuals you will ever come across. There are doctors, lawyers, physicists etc in these classrooms.

Unfortunately, they have also been misrepresented by a massively corrupt union and are continuously demoralized by rogue and incompetant administrators and parents who are either nonexistent or lack parenting skills themselves. Remember, when you are a child, your education is 24/7. These kids that you models are laughing at are the victims of the bureacrats who mis-run the NYCDOE, not to mention running this socio-economic caste system we have up here in NYC.

Nov 05 05 09:12 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

T H Taylor wrote:

OH I see you've never been to Baltimore?
We have no color coding on our ghettos here.
By the way, I hear some of the richest little spoiled white kids talking like that so let's not go all stereotypical here.

Peggy

Nov 05 05 09:12 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
words a poor choice.
I'm too lazy to steal.
how innocent crude.

Ok, I hope this doesn't start a whole different battle but wouldn't you consider Eminem to be slightly ghetto, or how about Vanilla Ice, come on you have to see my point here.

Nov 05 05 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think it was just a funny story but hey
I can understand why some people might
not find it funny.  Like my corny joke.
It ain't always whats said its all in
the delivery.

Nov 05 05 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
words a poor choice.
I'm too lazy to steal.
how innocent crude.

Yep you don't get out much. "NiggA" is used to describe your buddies, your posse, your homies. It can also be used to decribe someone you don't like. Sad ain't it. I have also heard white folks called ghetto too.

I hope for your sake the bottom half is the black half. wink

Nov 05 05 09:16 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Jessica L wrote:

OH I see you've never been to Baltimore?
We have no color coding on our ghettos here.
By the way, I hear some of the richest little spoiled white kids talking like that so let's not go all stereotypical here.

Peggy

Thank you, maybe then it's just a Baltimore thing then. I missed the memo! I was starting to feel like I was crazy! We don't discriminate in B-more, we of all colors club together, shop together, and to me color is just a non-issue. I love em all! Thanks Peggy, nice to have another B-more MM'er around here!

Nov 05 05 09:17 pm Link