Forums > Photography Talk > How often do you use a tripod/monopod?

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

May seem like an odd question, but in model photography, I never seem to use one. Even when I'm in a studio. That's why I would like to hear from other photogs. I'd appreciate specific examples (and the actual photos if possible).

Also, Which tripod/monopod do you use and why?

Nov 15 05 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Gerry

I do use one often in product, landscape and other such subjects . . . and I have used a tripod occassionally in model photography - but very seldomly.  With models I'm always moving back-and-forth, up-and-down and side-to-side.

I just use a regular off the shelf tripod I bought at a local camera store with full pan, leveling bubbles and an extra shoe lol. :-)

Nov 15 05 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

I use a tripod about 36 times per roll of film.

Nov 15 05 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

when we make the light in studio 1/125 and flash stopping action no tripod unless its a very tight crop and the angle is really important then I do. Outside I use the monopod alot just b/c my back cant take 2 hours of wierd angles and a heavy camera

Nov 15 05 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I use Manfrotto monopod at times for in door concert events. It makes me less flexible and lowers reaction time which is very important in PJ so I only use it scarcely.

Mark

Nov 15 05 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

ZELDIN PHOTOGRAPHY

New York, New York, US

Tripod  makes  you  lazy,  you  have to  move  around  the  subject  to  make  an  interesting  composition.  the  only  time  I  use  a  tripod  is  when  I  shoot  catalogue.  Oded :-)

Nov 15 05 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Steinberg Photo wrote:
May seem like an odd question, but in model photography, I never seem to use one. Even when I'm in a studio. That's why I would like to hear from other photogs. I'd appreciate specific examples (and the actual photos if possible).

Also, Which tripod/monopod do you use and why?

What is this tripod/monopod you speak of? smile

Nov 15 05 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Depends how much coffee I've had wink

Nov 15 05 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

The only thing I have ever used a monopod for is to hit someone and the best is the Gitzo, has a nice swing weight.  The new Bogen's are too light to have much of an effect.

Don't use a tripod much in the studio, but always have one handy.

Nov 15 05 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Tomi Hawk

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Well .. being that I work with 6x7 medium format cameras ... I use one for almost everything I do ..

I don't leave home, without my Bogen 3033. wink

Tomi

Nov 15 05 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Robert J Burnett

Saint Charles, Missouri, US

I use a tripod for all of my landscape work but never for modeling have to move around to much and a tripod would just get in the way.

I have the Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 legs with a 3047 pan and tilt head.

Nov 15 05 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I shoot 6x7 or 645 wide open, ASA1600 down to 1/4 second frequently and seldom use a monopod.  I used to carry a little Gitzo, but I move around too much for it to be of any use other than as deadweight to steady the camera and dampen the mirror shock.

-Don

Nov 15 05 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Beeson

Birmingham, Alabama, US

alot especially on head shots and anything under 1/60th

Nov 15 05 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

David Bickley

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I use a tripod when I shoot product, or when I'm below 1/8 sec shutter.  Otherwise.....never.

Nov 15 05 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

product stuff, macro stuff, big lens stuff....all depends on what your shooting. some people have steadier hands than others as well.

https://www.stuartphotography.com/stu/newstu/stu_water1.jpg

Gitzo baby.

Nov 15 05 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

For view camera or Speed Graphic. Don't use one for the model stuff most of the time.

Nov 15 05 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I use one for basic headshots and body shots. Once I'm sure I've got good basic shots, I take the camera off the tripod and start moving around. I also use it to keep the camera in register for my double-exposure experiments.

M

Nov 15 05 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Jackson

Dayton, Ohio, US

I use a Bogen, only when I can't shoot hand held to get sharp results.

Nov 15 05 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

As rarely as possible. I hate 'em. When I have a choice, I prefer motion-blurred images to images that are stiff and boring. My vision feels fettered when chained down to a tripod. I only use them when shooting large format, or when shooting something that a client specifically dictates must be tack sharp.

In school I'd used a lot of tripods, Bogen/Manfrotto and all that... then one instructor suggested a Canon (yes a Canon) tripod with a Gitzo ball head, and I found that to be my favorite, or at least my least-hated combination. The Canon is metal but is very sturdy, and is able to take a 4x5 quite easily with the Gitzo head. Strange for a 35mm company to make one like that but they do. In the studio I also used to use Bogen camera stands for large format but that was ages ago. However, for studio product photographers I'd say there's no substitute. Nothing sturdier, easily adjustable, and easy to move around on a hard floor.

Nov 15 05 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Travis Feisthamel Photo

Watertown, New York, US

I only use a tripod when doing night shots, waterfalls, and other things with longer exposures. 90% of the time I do not, but I also am using lenses with image stabilization in them. Not that it will take the place of the tripod (I know it doesn't) but its easier to use most of the time.

Nov 15 05 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

with strobes i dont use them because i usually shoot at 1/250th anyways

Nov 15 05 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Not all the time.  It's amazing how a whack over the head with a tripod convinces a model to sign anything in front of him/her, but most just sign before it comes to that...

Seriously, if I don't have to, I won't.  Anytime the shutter speed is in the neighborhood of 1/8 of a second or something.  Give or take a few fractions of a sec.

Nov 15 05 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

PHOTODAC

Rutherford, New Jersey, US

For sports, monopod. Tripod...never.

Nov 15 05 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Downin

Salem, Oregon, US

I have a tripod around here somewhere, never use it though, way too limiting.

Nov 15 05 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Mossack

Joplin, Missouri, US

Very rarely do I use a Tripod, usually only with static subjects, long exposures, self portraits, etc. Almost never when shooting models, I tend to move around alot, and a tripod really just ties me down. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, but generally, I shoot models tripodless.

Nov 15 05 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

HenryS

BRONX, New York, US

Steinberg Photo wrote:
May seem like an odd question,

As little as possible, but almost always if my speed will drop below 1/30.  That's about my limit.  I use a Bogen 3020 and always carry a minipod when vacationing (non-midel).  It comes in handy at least once on every trip.

Nobody seems to think your question is odd!

Nov 15 05 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

very rarely.

Nov 15 05 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

For portraiture, usually--probably 60-80% of the time.

For models, rarely--perhaps 10%.

Nov 15 05 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

When it's dark, or if I'm doing product & macro. I have super steady hands - I don't breathe much.

Nov 15 05 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Have three tripods and a monopod, hardly ever use the tripods but use the monopod 100% with the 300mm 2.8. Love the 70-200VR lens!!

Nov 15 05 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I use it quite a bit when I'm in the deepest woods and am trying to maximize depth of field - and have a model that can hold a very still pose.

I have also learned that my hands are not as steady as they could be - It's a limitation that I just know now to work around.

An example of a tripod shot would be raverchic #40800 and her current avatar - It was a VERY long exposure time to get the feathering of the water the way I wanted it.  The thumbnail might look a little odd - but when you open it up you get the idea.

No way I could have held the camera still freehand.

Nov 16 05 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

my girlfiends call me tripod................ j/k!

i only shot a model using a tripod once. it was a shot lit exclusively by the light from a mig welder. the model was scared of the sparks so i set up, killed the lights, and shot durring 2 second bursts of light. no time to se ANYTHING let alone center the shot!

Nov 16 05 04:14 am Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

You must be fairly talented if you don't have to use one and your shots look the way they do.  You must also not drink a lot of caffine, lol.

I use a tripod.  Better stability.  But I only use it about 25% of the time.  I drink enough caffine to kill a horse so I got really shacky hands so I need one sometimes.

Nov 16 05 04:40 am Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Ivan123 wrote:
I use a tripod about 36 times per roll of film.

lol

Nov 16 05 04:42 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

id like to see this done handheld at iso200. tripods rule.

https://www.stuartphotography.com/1DSC_9703a.jpg

Nov 16 05 05:00 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

90% of the time
especially when using the 4X5
all you guys that feel stifled by the "stiff images" they produce can send me all those bogens and manfrotos that are gathering dust, i'll gladly use 'em...lol
guess I'm lazy, I hate having the camera hanging on my neck any more than necessary, plus I don't mind moving around, changing angles, etc with my tripod.
you'll probably shoot me when I tell you that I usually have the cable release hooked up to my camera

Nov 16 05 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

JOFF

Los Angeles, California, US

80% of my work in on a monopod..... at least....

Nov 16 05 10:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

FAIRFAX STATION, Virginia, US

BrianBHayes wrote:
80% of my work in on a monopod..... at least....

Woah , where the hell did you come from Brian!?!? Hey there buddy. I got one of your pics in my port. ( Not the actual pic but the tear of Dawn in FHM from the pic you took in NC:) haha. Hope you have been well. I see you've been busy!

Ok, now back to regularly scheduled programming.

Nov 16 05 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Rick Edwards wrote:
I usually have the cable release hooked up to my camera

Good for you! I just got one for the D2X. Happy to have one again.

Nov 17 05 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

my assistants have been complaining about me gaffer taping my 4x5 to their heads so i use a tripod more now than before. besides, i didn't like all that lateral blur i was getting anyway...

Nov 17 05 12:19 am Link