Forums > Photography Talk > My first shoot, a no show

Photographer

Loss Vegas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Chuck Condron Photograp wrote:
I would be interested in your take on my first shoot, or should I say non-shoot.

Just take note and move on! Expect that to happen once in a while for many reasons. I awalys check a model's availability just the day before the shoot and if I don't get any response I consider it cancelled and make other plans to better utilize my time.

Regards,
Abhijit

Aug 26 07 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Cosgray

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Chuck,
         don't worry about it man, I get it it every once in awhile as well. Sucks first shoot though. I feel your pain. I had a Model answer my casting call, was supposed to meet with her today and she never showed either. Look at their profile and see the date on there pics to see when the last time they updated their pics, beware if they r old. That is just what I am finding. Hang in there, i always plan something else for a back up. I don't let the Flakes get the best of me.

Aug 26 07 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Edge Images

Thousand Oaks, California, US

you'll get used to it.  i had two of three on a three model shoot cancel today after days of planning and coordinating schedules.  It sucks, they're not professionals, but welcome to internet modeling/photography.

Aug 26 07 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

XE Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

hopdevilrob wrote:
I'm on a "winning streak" now that the Yankees would be envious of (four or five in a row).

haha my first shoot is similar to the Arizona Cardinals hehehe well maybe this year they will be better!

Aug 26 07 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher N.

Troy, Michigan, US

Nothing new here....don't let it discourage you and move on.

But get used to it (chances are it will happen again) and more importantly LEARN from it. I've only had a handful of flakes but it only made me become more selective and create contingency plans. Maybe it's booking multiple models, maybe it's creating a uniform process that let's you know if a model will show up. I don't know ...the method/technique is up to you. A former model hired me to do a content shoot for her and she wanted to know how many models to book for an eight hour timeframe at the rented studio. I told her 12. She was a bit surprised but I assured her it would work out. Only four actually made it to the shoot. (and yes, it was for pay).

Even with all that there's no guarantees and sometimes legitimate things happen....either way at the end of the day, with flakes you probably end up NOT working with someone who probably wasn't worth your time anyway.

Aug 26 07 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Cosgray

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Edge Images wrote:
you'll get used to it.  i had two of three on a three model shoot cancel today after days of planning and coordinating schedules.  It sucks, they're not professionals, but welcome to internet modeling/photography.

At least they cancelled on ya, that would be fine with me. I never got a call or a call back after I called. It is just easier for the flakes not to show up. Suck to be them.

Aug 26 07 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Cosgray

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I am thinking about charging a $50.00 retainer for a TFP shoot. They will get it back when they show up for the shoot. That will prob weed them out quick. References are important. I never used to check ,but I will now.

Aug 26 07 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

Congradulations,You are no longer a newbie,you have just joined the club along with the rest of us!

Aug 27 07 03:06 am Link

Model

kristenvictoria

im sorry

Aug 27 07 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Creative Works Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Never had a no show and I live an hour and a half out of Vancouver. Bc
It is good to make sure your photography can keep up with whats in the models port.

Best money I ever spent when I was starting out was on a top agency model, make up artist
rental equipment, and Location. Kicked off my port and got models calling to work with me

Cheers Grant

Aug 27 07 04:00 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

Well I know that no shows are normal, but I didnt expect it to be my first shoot. 

I would be interested in your take on my first shoot, or should I say non-shoot.

Welcome to Internet modeling.

I had a very similar experience with a photographer during my first months here.

I was contacted and he made every effort to flatter me, he was working with a model friend who was coming into town from California, she had very good fashion model stats and he seemed sincere.  Why not, seems simple enough?

Then things got interesting, he wanted me to construct props that are far out of the range of what I do.  So far out it would be a mystery as to why I would be able to.  I pointed him in the direction of where the props could be found for a decent amount and a quality item.

I offered to finish a $300 contract free of charge, and let him use the wardrobe since it fit the description of what he wanted to do with the model.  I'd donate my time and handle the dry cleaning on the return for 2 or 3 prints.

Last minute, he flaked.  It was the first and last time.

I'm busy with bookings and I keep my Mayhem portfolio fairly bare since I'm a wardrobe stylist.  We are pretty sought after when it comes to borrowing things and I use my profile for keeping up with close friends.

So many months later a friend of a friend collaborates with the photographer, and now wants to collaborate with me, she's a makeup artist and it would be great, but I won't get involved with her because I don't want to describe the situation or take a chance, because I wouldn't lift a finger to help this person.  Once was enough.

Wardrobe people are few and far between.  Wardrobe people who will make you something to use for a shoot free of charge to be friendly are fewer and farther between.

Lesson learned  Well for me, not for him.

I won't work with him again, I don't have anything bad to say to him or describe to anyone else about him, I simply know better and should have trusted instincts.

He's attempted to befriend me since, I'm friendly but it's not happening.

Basically if someone wants to drape your model in hundreds of dollars of custom silk as a free of charge favor, don't screw them over and flake.

Aug 27 07 04:13 am Link

Photographer

TIMOTHYBECKER

Brooklyn, New York, US

Chuck....

two words....

fuck her.

Dont stress out to much over a model who isnt willing to help her own career as well. If she flakes and is a no show, you at least have the free time to take some art shots out doors. What is she going to do, model for her cell phone again?

EDIT: Sorry to be so blunt.

Aug 27 07 04:18 am Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Go to where she lives and burn all of your photography gear on her doormat.

smile

Aug 27 07 04:19 am Link

Photographer

TIMOTHYBECKER

Brooklyn, New York, US

RSM-images wrote:

Go to where she lives and burn all of your photography gear on her doormat.

smile

Or do that....and make sure the tears are flowing down your face.

Aug 27 07 04:20 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

TIMOTHYBECKER wrote:

...or use visine or menthol.  That's very Jack Black and Kyle Gas of you.

Aug 27 07 04:22 am Link

Photographer

- Tripp

Coronado, California, US

You did nothing wrong, brother. Just as there are thousands of wannabes getting off the bus in Hollywood hoping to be actors, there are tons of models professing their devotion on Web sites like these. The difference is, you have such a huge number put in your face with the Internet, it's tougher to weed through them.

Just be extra picky in looking at their profiles. And don't spend too much time trying to get responses. Think of your time as being so precious, if they don't want to communicate timely, just let it go. Because it will only take away from the time you could be looking for more serious people.

This too shall pass and so will many more of these unprofessional, "give-me-new-pics-for-myspace-when-I'm-in-the-mood-to-follow-through-on-a-shoot" models. Pop, lock and drop 'em.

:>)

Aug 27 07 04:31 am Link

Photographer

Terrence Blount

Chicago, Illinois, US

Well I know that no shows are normal, but I didnt expect it to be my first shoot.  This particular model contacted me to be a friend...we traded many emails and decided to do a shoot.  We discussed location, what to wear, how long, etc.  It all seemed to be going just perfect.  The day before the shoot, I called her...got voice mail..  I called to just give directions and find out which backdrop she wanted to use first so I could get it all set.  No response.  So I sent a message here...  no response (she did read it).

I called again later that night..I left a similar message (want to touch base, are we still on, etc).  no response.  So the night before I sent one more message here with directions and indicated I had left 2 voicemails...

no response. She never read the address message.

Well last night, I thought hmmm maybe she got in an accident, or some emergency happened, so I sent this message here:

(name removed of the flake in question), hope all is well. I was disappointed that our shoot for today didnt happen. I tried to contact you Friday to confirm via phone and messages here. Did you get any of them? I would like to have heard from you if you were going to cancel. I hope you are ok and not hurt or something horrible like that. Please let me know what happened for my own piece of mind. Maybe we can reschedule?

Chuck.

NO RESPONSE! and she did read this one.

What did I do wrong?  Is she the ultimate flake?  Is the flake's silence part of the flakeness?  Have I been too nice?  Is it normal to be upset, as I am, I just feel like I have bent over backwards and its a slap in the face to be ignored.  I would be a lot less upset if she just canceled, or as one photographer friend here said, used an excuse like "her dog died" hehehe

These type of things happen all the time. I was talking with a model who I did a photo shoot with several weeks ago and she suggested that this site should have a feedback forum like ebay. Like ebay, if a model, photographer, MUA, waredrobe stylist, etc backs out at the last minute, you can post negative feedback. If  they were cool to work with, positive. If they showed up for the shoot, but acted, well, like a total you-know-what, well you get the picture. That way if someone else wants to work with that individual, they know what type a person they are.

Also, it will promote restraint against flakes.

Aug 27 07 04:49 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

Terrence Blount wrote:
These type of things happen all the time. I was talking with a model who I did a photo shoot with several weeks ago and she suggested that this site should have a feedback forum like ebay. Like ebay, if a model, photographer, MUA, waredrobe stylist, etc backs out at the last minute, you can post negative feedback. If  they were cool to work with, positive. If they showed up for the shoot, but acted, well, like a total you-know-what, well you get the picture. That way if someone else wants to work with that individual, they know what type a person they are.

Also, it will promote restraint against flakes.

That's an interesting idea, maybe something for the technical forum too?

I see it this way, if you are very involved in collaborating with people around town you'll probably get to know about everyone in a period of 2 years and have a basic opinion of them, especially with hair, mua and wardrobe.

Photography and models are a bit bigger group, but I could count all of the models I'd love to play with the most on fingers and toes, same with photographers.

Aug 27 07 04:55 am Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

Check her references next time.  I get emails from photographers who have been contacted by the models I have worked with, and they ask, "Is she dependable?  Has she ever cancelled on you?" etc., etc. 

That's really the only way to reduce your risk of a no-show. 

Of course, I can also tell you about the emails I've gotten from models telling me about photographers and what they try to do during photoshoots, and asking why the photographers haven't been arrested yet, but that's another story.

Aug 27 07 05:03 am Link

Photographer

Terrence Blount

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ruben Sanchez wrote:

Check her references next time.  I get emails from photographers who have been contacted by the models I have worked with, and they ask, "Is she dependable?  Has she ever cancelled on you?" etc., etc. 

That's really the only way to reduce your risk of a no-show. 

Of course, I can also tell you about the emails I've gotten from models telling me about photographers and what they try to do during photoshoots, and asking why the photographers haven't been arrested yet, but that's another story.

Check the last 2 post on here, I think we can rectify this whole situation :-)

Aug 27 07 05:08 am Link

Photographer

XE Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

TIMOTHYBECKER wrote:

Crackin me up hahahah well she is not worth the lens cleaning fluid..  im over it, and as someone suggested '**ck her'.  You all have been so cool and wonderful to me, thank you.  I have received wonderful advise and stories!

Aug 27 07 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Gary James

Hollywood, Florida, US

your first real model will be hard to come by but she will be worth it

Aug 27 07 08:39 am Link

Photographer

thegaryclark

Birmingham, Alabama, US

A blizzard starts off one 'flake' at a time, aren't we glad that we have 'Global Warming' to control the problem?

Aug 27 07 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Bill Cowen Photography

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I've had a couple of flakes but for the most part I've been pretty lucky. Comes with the territory I suppose.

Aug 27 07 09:00 am Link

Photographer

charles i letbetter

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Notice that only two models bothered replying to the message. smile

As long as there are amateur models posing for amateur photographers, there will be no show-no calls. Believe it or not, I've even heard of photographers not showing, which is inconceivable to me. Sites like this one, along with the plethora of promotional "modeling" agencies, make it too easy for someone to call themselves a model without any level of commitment. All the conversation in the world cannot make up for the fact that without sense of obligation, that actions equal consequences, models not showing up for shoots will occur far too often.

-charles

Aug 27 07 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Cogito Ergo Zoom

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Gary James wrote:
your first real model will be hard to come by but she will be worth it

HELLO!  Yeah what he said.

Aug 27 07 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Peter Tureson

Aurora, Illinois, US

As frustrating as it is, flaking happens.  Don't let it get you down and move on to someone who appreciates your work.

Aug 27 07 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Wes Adam

Somerset, New Jersey, US

Welcome to the internet world of modeling.  You have just been initiated and you are not a cherry anymore.  Look ahead, try again.  Good Luck and look forward to seeing some great images in the future.

Aug 27 07 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Kenfolio

Burke, Virginia, US

Unfortunately, you will experience this again. Rudeness seems to be the new norm. Hiding behind the computer or cell phone is easy. I have done zero shoots since April because I've contacted about 20 models and all have either done the disappearing act or have failed to respond at all. It continually amazes me, and it's a shame.

Aug 27 07 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

Crackin me up hahahah well she is not worth the lens cleaning fluid..  im over it, and as someone suggested '**ck her'.  You all have been so cool and wonderful to me, thank you.  I have received wonderful advise and stories!

Never mind I figured out who it was

Aug 27 07 01:40 pm Link

Model

Clypsie

Brooklyn, New York, US

eww that is SO rude.. her mommy didn't teach her very good manners lol.. sorry to hear that chuck and wish u  better luck in the future

Aug 27 07 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

H Yulfo

Providence, Kentucky, US

I had a no show my first time too i was a little upset but then it happened again 2 in a row not good .. so i have only done one shoot  with  someone from MM and now i have one scheduled for tomorrow(also from MM) and we have kept in contact just fine just waiting to see what happens i will be on time as usual and hope for the best .

Aug 27 07 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

People really flake?  I just declare (again).

smile

Aug 27 07 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jack English

Encinitas, California, US

If you were doing this as a trade, maybe
she was just over it. 

I think if $$$ is being handed over then
the model will take it a little more serious.

Aug 27 07 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

after 3-15 more no shows, you won't even remember this one.  Unless they are all in a row, which would suck.

Aug 27 07 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

-Bryan-

Elm Grove, Wisconsin, US

My first THREE attempts went exactly as you described.  After the fact, one of them did apologize saying something came up, but the other two I never heard from.  One was supposed to be doing a bodypainting thing, so I had all my airbrush/paint/dropcloth/etc. out for that, plus all my lighting.  Glad I wasted 2 hours setting up to never even get a phone call... 

I have thought about having a deposit when someone set up something with me that I'd give back at the shoot, plus $5 extra... It would be worth it to me if they showed.  Hang in there.

Aug 27 07 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

arledge_productions

Anniston, Alabama, US

Well I know that no shows are normal, but I didnt expect it to be my first shoot.  This particular model contacted me to be a friend...we traded many emails and decided to do a shoot.  We discussed location, what to wear, how long, etc.  It all seemed to be going just perfect.  The day before the shoot, I called her...got voice mail..  I called to just give directions and find out which backdrop she wanted to use first so I could get it all set.  No response.  So I sent a message here...  no response (she did read it).

I called again later that night..I left a similar message (want to touch base, are we still on, etc).  no response.  So the night before I sent one more message here with directions and indicated I had left 2 voicemails...

no response. She never read the address message.

Well last night, I thought hmmm maybe she got in an accident, or some emergency happened, so I sent this message here:

(name removed of the flake in question), hope all is well. I was disappointed that our shoot for today didnt happen. I tried to contact you Friday to confirm via phone and messages here. Did you get any of them? I would like to have heard from you if you were going to cancel. I hope you are ok and not hurt or something horrible like that. Please let me know what happened for my own piece of mind. Maybe we can reschedule?

Chuck.

NO RESPONSE! and she did read this one.

What did I do wrong?  Is she the ultimate flake?  Is the flake's silence part of the flakeness?  Have I been too nice?  Is it normal to be upset, as I am, I just feel like I have bent over backwards and its a slap in the face to be ignored.  I would be a lot less upset if she just canceled, or as one photographer friend here said, used an excuse like "her dog died" hehehe

welcome to the party!!!!

Aug 27 07 01:53 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

It happens. All the time.

Prevention methods offered several thousands of times:

1. check references
2. pay models

Neither of them are guaranteed to reduce your flake rate, but it seems to work damn well for some.

Aug 27 07 01:56 pm Link

Model

Feral Oneiric

Portland, Oregon, US

Lol, welcome to the industry. Get used to it. Models flake, photographers flake. Usually doesn't even matter if you're paying or not, there's always a chance of a flake.

Whenever I'm traveling to shoot, we always schedule at least 3 models. Did that the last time, and even then only had one model show up. I think the less clothing that is supposed to be worn during the shoot is directly proportional to the chance of flakes.

Aug 27 07 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Aug 27 07 02:00 pm Link