Forums > Photography Talk > trouble with ANOTHER model

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

my model refuses to sign a model release because she didn't like the "shooting conditions," which were in a hotel room type of thing with a small background I put up.  I photoshopped the backgrounds out, so it looks just like a studio, and has nothing showing that would resemble a "hotel room shot" whatsoever.
She claims that without the release form being signed I can't post the pics on-line.
True?
I always thought the form was mainly if I was going to sell or distribute the shots beyond a portfolio.

Nov 22 05 05:13 pm Link

Model

Rx

If your model didnt like the shooing conditions, why did she agree to shoot with you in the first place and waste both of your time?

I guess if a model doesn't sign the release, then you cannot use the photos. That would also apply to her: she cannot use your photos.

Nov 22 05 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

Oh.  That sucks then.

Anyone knnow what the field in landscape or natured photography is like?
I don't know how much more I can take of annoying models that think they know more about photography than the photographer.

Nov 22 05 05:21 pm Link

Model

Rx

Robert_Vega wrote:
Oh.  That sucks then.

Anyone knnow what the field in landscape or natured photography is like?
I don't know how much more I can take of annoying models that think they know more about photography than the photographer.

Next time try and find professional models to work with instead of amateurs then. It might cost you or be harder to find but the results would be so much better since there is a sense of professionalism in there. Amateur models may be very shady and flaky just as amateur photographers may be the same.

About landscape and nature photography, I met this photographer based here in Michigan who does such work and sells her photos for a whole lot. It helps too that she really studied photography and constanty travels the world to work on her photography.

Check her bio and work out at:

http://www.claudiaadams.com/html/biography.html

Nov 22 05 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think any image you use for a non commercial purpose
is yours to do with as you choose.  Some other members
can correct me if I'm wrong but you own the image you take.
You just can't use it to advertise a product, etc but it
can be used as a examples of your art.  You could post
it here if you choose.

Nov 22 05 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

There's some debate, as I understand it, about whether posting an image to an online portfolio counts as publishing or not.  If she's giving you trouble, it's probably not worth the potential fight and ugliness to post any of her images.  May I ask why you're wanting her to sign the release now, instead of asking her to do so at the time of the shoot?  (Unless you forgot.  I do that enough that I've given up using them almost entirely.)

Nov 22 05 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Ok, once again:

Copyright belongs to the photographer from the moment of the photograph's inception.

Likeness rights of the model are only able to be violated if the photographer uses the photos to illustrate a product or situation that the model would not normally be in.  The model can not sue for simply having her photos posted somewhere, only if the photo is posted as supporting a particular product or service.  Using the photos in your own portfolio is not considered endorsing a product or service.

Rights to privacy don't come in to play because there is no expectation of privacy due to the fact it is a shoot.

Nov 22 05 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

I always have the release signed before the shoot, to prevent just this sort of situation.

Nov 22 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

S

raveneyes wrote:
Ok, once again:

Copyright belongs to the photographer from the moment of the photograph's inception.

Likeness rights of the model are only able to be violated if the photographer uses the photos to illustrate a product or situation that the model would not normally be in.  The model can not sue for simply having her photos posted somewhere, only if the photo is posted as supporting a particular product or service.

Rights to privacy don't come in to play because there is no expectation of privacy due to the fact it is a shoot.

No one is suggesting that he doesn't own the images.  The question is whether he can use them without a release, and with the model contesting the usage.  I always thought a portfolio was okay, whether the model objected or not, but I have several times on these forums seen established photographers mention that it's not that cut and dry, and that in the internet age, some courts are considering posting something online to be publishing.

In any case, if any of my models requested that I no longer use their likeness, I wouldn't.  I'd hope that no one image is so important to my body of work that the rest can't survive without it.

Nov 22 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
No one is suggesting that he doesn't own the images.  The question is whether he can use them without a release, and with the model contesting the usage.  I always thought a portfolio was okay, whether the model objected or not, but I have several times on these forums seen established photographers mention that it's not that cut and dry, and that in the internet age, some courts are considering posting something online to be publishing.

This is not the current law, nor is there any case law supporting any type of decision like this.  Also just as printing out a portfolio book is to the same extent 'publishing' as putting your photos on your personal website or  one like modelmayhem. 

If a model sued a photographer for putting her photos in a web portfolio s/he wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
In any case, if any of my models requested that I no longer use their likeness, I wouldn't.  I'd hope that no one image is so important to my body of work that the rest can't survive without it.

Very true, but all she's done is refuse to sign the release, indicating only that she doesn't want the photos used for advertising or for herself.  He is free to do with them as he pleases so long as he does not violate any of her rights.

Nov 22 05 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

S

Thank you for the clarification, that's helpful!

Nov 22 05 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

well i just happened to leave my ink pen in my car and she didn't have one on her so i couldn't get it signed.  she told me she'd mail it to me a.s.a.p. and then just today she says she was unsatisified.  idk. 
as far as using a pro model... they wouldnt be a little "wtf" shooting in a hotel room-turned-studio?  :-\

Nov 22 05 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Robert_Vega wrote:
well i just happened to leave my ink pen in my car and she didn't have one on her so i couldn't get it signed.  she told me she'd mail it to me a.s.a.p. and then just today she says she was unsatisified.  idk. 
as far as using a pro model... they wouldnt be a little "wtf" shooting in a hotel room-turned-studio?  :-\

GQ...I'll have to dig up the specific issue...sometime within the past two years.  Whole spread done in a hotel room.

Nov 22 05 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Robert_Vega wrote:
my model refuses to sign a model release because she didn't like the "shooting conditions," which were in a hotel room type of thing with a small background I put up.  I photoshopped the backgrounds out, so it looks just like a studio, and has nothing showing that would resemble a "hotel room shot" whatsoever.
She claims that without the release form being signed I can't post the pics on-line.
True?
I always thought the form was mainly if I was going to sell or distribute the shots beyond a portfolio.

First off, the fact that she did the shoot shows that she agreed with the conditions. As for the release, if you are not making money from them you really do not need one but it is best to have one. If you have not given her any of the photographs as of yet, especially edited ones, I recommend telling her that she can either sign the release or she can come over and witness you deleting every single image of her from the shoot to show that you will no longer have them , or she can buy them from you.Whatever happens I recommend you write her off and never work with her again.

Nov 22 05 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Rx wrote:
If your model didnt like the shooing conditions, why did she agree to shoot with you in the first place and waste both of your time?

I guess if a model doesn't sign the release, then you cannot use the photos. That would also apply to her: she cannot use your photos.

True, but then again a model never leaves my shoots without signing either a normal release form or a TFP release form. If she refuses to sign one, no photographs are taken.

Nov 22 05 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

S

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
True, but then again a model never leaves my shoots without signing either a normal release form or a TFP release form. If she refuses to sign one, no photographs are taken.

Would you mind sharing your TFP release form?  I'm interested to know what it contains and how it might differ from a standard release.

Nov 22 05 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

raveneyes wrote:
If a model sued a photographer for putting her photos in a web portfolio s/he wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Very true, but all she's done is refuse to sign the release, indicating only that she doesn't want the photos used for advertising or for herself.  He is free to do with them as he pleases so long as he does not violate any of her rights.

As for your suit comment, that is not necessarily true. Especially in verbal contract states like California. All she has to do is convince the judge they had a verbal agreement to not display her photographs anywhere and she wins. Hard to prove, but not impossible to convince a judge that the agreement existed.

Nov 22 05 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Robert_Vega wrote:

711?Circle K? There is usually some place which sells a bic for a buck somewhere close to where you are at any given time.Did you not park in the parking lot of this hotel? The  front desk did not have one you could use for a few seconds?

Nov 22 05 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

ALWAYS sign releases before you do any shooting!! Without a signed release, I wouldn't use those images for anything, sucks that she wasted your time.....sorry dude.

Nov 22 05 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

raveneyes wrote:

This is not the current law, nor is there any case law supporting any type of decision like this.  Also just as printing out a portfolio book is to the same extent 'publishing' as putting your photos on your personal website or  one like modelmayhem. 

Well, I think the photographer would be sued senseless if he posted nudes of her shoot online without a release. I think you have to understand the difference between using an image for your (print) portfolio and your "web" portfolio. You, the photographer have control over who sees your portfolio (and usually limit it to one person at a time or so). A web portfolio is viewable by every friggin' human (and then some) on Earth, all at once or at any time.  See the difference. I wouldn't post one of these images, but putting in a physical portfolio should be okay.

Nov 22 05 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Helms

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

All this talk about "rights and priviledges" becomes a moot point if she decided to take you to court over it. She may not have a legal leg to stand on (which I don't thinks she does) BUT - do YOU wanna spend your time and money to defend yourself?
Throw away all her images. Tell her you threw them all away. Make SURE she doesn't have anything SHE can use. Walk away and forget her. Lesson learned. NEVER shoot without a release and an agreement to sign one AHEAD of time. Pro or amateur model - no release no shoot. 25 years - I could tell ya stories.

Nov 22 05 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Miguel Book 1

Washington, District of Columbia, US

My honest opinion is just to forget about it and move on.
They are hundreds of models that you can shoot with, for me will be to much of the trouble to try to make things happen when she is not happy.
I'll no post any image if the model is not happy with release or not.
Why?
I do see the models as customers and my policy is to keep them happy.
She is going to spread a bad word about to use images that she does not like or agree.
In the way I see it, is that I want the models, TFP or paid to spread a good word about my work and company.
Learn from the mistake, forget about it and move on to the next shoot.
Miguel

Nov 22 05 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Stevenson

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I always have a signed release before I even take the lense cap off. I don't want the hassle like you are dealing with. I would junk the photos call it lesson learned and find some more models. Good luck with it.

Nov 23 05 10:47 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well I hope that you did not pay her!!!!!!!

If she refused to sign the model release then you need not pay her and send her on her merry way. 

I did send you a MM email. BTW.  bs

Nov 23 05 11:30 am Link

Photographer

johnny olsen

Los Angeles, California, US

Robert_Vega wrote:
True?

rule #1:
get the release signed before the lens cap comes off

Nov 23 05 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Robert_Vega wrote:

While it's possible to do a solid shoot in a hotel room, the working conditions aren't the best, and there is the issue of perception.

Have you thought about renting studio space instead?  You aren't that far from Detroit and for sure there are spaces available there for $25-35/hr; check with your local small studio guys too, often they won't mind picking up a few extra bucks when they don't need their space.

As for the release... bet you remember to bring an extra pen next time smile

Nov 23 05 11:43 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Depending on your jurisdiction, the model may have a right to privacy that internet posting would violate.  Rights of publicity and rights of privacy are two different things and both most be observed.

Nov 23 05 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Photography 101: have the release signed before you break out your camera/pay the model.

Nov 23 05 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I had something similar happen to me about a month ago. Everything mentioned here is good advice!

Nov 23 05 12:17 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I could again try to explain the possible legal tangle of having a release signed for photos before they are taken, but no one will listen.  Have fun.

Nov 23 05 12:18 pm Link

Model

JuicyPeach

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Robert_Vega wrote:
True?

If you were close to me I would shoot with you

Nov 23 05 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Elaine Dunn

New York, New York, US

[Disclaimer: NOT legal advice]

I just studied meticulously for the New York bar exam (and passed, woohoo!), so  know a lil' about copyright issues. Under Sec. 107, FAIR USE, the photographer does indeed own the copyright and may use it for his or her own promotional efforts (i.e. online portfolio). He may NOT sell it or distribute it w/o the model's consent.

So if you took a good photo, my friend, enjoy it. It's yours. Just respect the model's wishes and keep it limited to your portfolio. Cheers.

Nov 23 05 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

HAH...This just happened to me but not with just one model with 2 models at the same shoot...friends...we got this 200,000 dollar loft to shoot in right? we had 4 females and 1 male....we get done shooting and we ask them to sign the release...they start going over it and trying to nit pick every little thing...we said ok well take it home look it over and send it to us...well I get an email back from them with their own release....HAHAHAH I about crapped my pants i laughed so friggin hard. They basically wanted me to sign all rights over to them...HAHA get reall people...Needless to say I will NOT EVER sign a release that comes from a models hands...that is absolutely rediculous....This was TFP they knew that, they shot for the 3 hours without hinting that they werent goign to be agreeable when it came time to sign the contract...might I ad my contract is very standard and what they have permission to do with the pics...I dont understand how a model could expect a photogrpaher to sign over their rights to use the photos....Not to mention i DID NOT charge them for my hair and makeup services...damn flakes...LOL

Nov 23 05 12:29 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Amy Dunn wrote:

I just studied meticulously for the New York bar exam (and passed, woohoo!), so  know a lil' about copyright issues. Under Sec. 107, FAIR USE, the photographer does indeed own the copyright and may use it for his or her own promotional efforts (i.e. online portfolio). He may NOT sell it or distribute it w/o the model's consent.

So if you took a good photo, my friend, enjoy it. It's yours. Just respect the model's wishes and keep it limited to your portfolio. Cheers.

I was just gonna post that. I worked at a law office and had an issue a year ago that was similar. One of the lawyers here advised me as I had shot with her about 4 times and there were a few shots that I liked and I was not really aware of what the rights were either way. So, enjoy the shots for your book!

Nov 23 05 12:31 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Amy Dunn wrote:

I was just gonna post that. I worked at a law office and had an issue a year ago that was similar. One of the lawyers here advised me as I had shot with her about 4 times and there were a few shots that I liked and I was not really aware of what the rights were either way. So, enjoy the shots for your book!

Nov 23 05 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Dee wrote:
they shot for the 3 hours without hinting that they werent goign to be agreeable when it came time to sign the contract...

Watch out for the shoot that (seemingly) goes well and falls apart later! I refer to this as the morning-after syndrome.

Nov 23 05 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

theda wrote:
I could again try to explain the possible legal tangle of having a release signed for photos before they are taken, but no one will listen.  Have fun.

Theda

In some states a release must be signed after the shoot, not before.  A person can not release something that has not happened.  But lots of photographers get them signed before the shoot. (You can only release something after the fact)

Since I pay most of my models, I have them sign, after the shoot, and just before I pay them. When they see the cash in my hand, they sign faster. I also get a thumb print on all releases, and have for a long time.

Nov 23 05 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:

Theda

In some states a release must be signed after the shoot, not before.  A person can not release something that has not happened.  But lots of photographers get them signed before the shoot. (You can only release something after the fact)

Since I pay most of my models, I have them sign, after the shoot, and just before I pay them. When they see the cash in my hand, they sign faster. I also get a thumb print on all releases, and have for a long time.

I remember you talking before about that, can you explain why you get the thumb print?

Nov 24 05 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

theda wrote:
Depending on your jurisdiction, the model may have a right to privacy that internet posting would violate.  Rights of publicity and rights of privacy are two different things and both most be observed.

I agree with theda. If no contract is signed then i would not even do the shoot, its not worth it to you or the model because with no contract either one can say "No you cant use them" and the photos are worthless to both of you at that point. You cant post them anywhere, print them, use them in your port or show them to anybody.
It would be like taking candid photos of your girlfriend and posting, showing them to people and she has a problem with that......your in the wrong right off the bat.

EDIT: A posting above by someone who just passed the bar exam says that the photos are his property and he can use them in his port with her consent.
Would you also point out the position he would be in if she DOES NOT give her consent to use them even in his port.
Your original comment that they are his and he can is too general and people will take that as a rule "If the model approves".

Nov 24 05 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Monsante Bey wrote:

I remember you talking before about that, can you explain why you get the thumb print?

I would take a guess that it would be just like cashing a check..

Nov 24 05 08:11 am Link