Forums > Photography Talk > Do you provide clothing for your models..?

Photographer

Powell Ful Creations

Buffalo, New York, US

Just was wondering how many of you guys go out shopping for clothing and keep a stash of clothes to provide for the models you shoot.

Do you feel weird going to a woman's clothing store buying outfits ?

Nov 23 05 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Antonio Barros

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I provide clothing!
If you don't provide it here in Brazil, nobody will hire you.

Nov 23 05 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

i do it according to the nature of the shoot. if its something for a project i'm involved in, then yeah i'll make a call to a designer friend to see if they have some one-off's available. if its just a shoot just to shoot, then chances are i wont do it unless theyre a regular client of mines.

but i got tired of reaching out and spending X amount of dollars this year and last on wardrobe so i partnered with a local designer here and i'm doing a joint venture to have my own little rack of personalized stuff - it cost me an armload upfront, but in the end, its worth it because you can then do alot of different cross-promotional tatics with it.

but yeah, i'll try and make sure they have something nice. its nothing worse than having the babe there and the wardrobe isnt on point.

small mom & pop shops are a good look for camera-ready pieces - most people think of the big designer names, but the smaller unknown names are good because they are more camera-friendly and stand out in terms of patterns.

Nov 23 05 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Powell Ful Creations

Buffalo, New York, US

Yeah I'm starting to hook up with some designers and local shops to use there clothes in some shoots.  I normally tell the models the looks im after and even show them examples, but still I've had some models show up with lounge gear you wear when you lay around the house.
So I've learned I can't leave it up to the model all the time to come with the proper wardrobe im intrested in.

Nov 23 05 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I do not at this time, for the most part.However, I do know a few owners of fetishwear shops in the Bay area as well as some who custom make it themselves for others. They sometimes let me borrow outfits for shoots. This reminds me of another topic which I will post later. Keep an eye out for it. The topic heading should be obvious.

Nov 23 05 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I buy clothes for a shoot if I am going after a specific look. Like I just shot with a model I work with often and she told me she had a white fishnet dress. for some reason my brain pictured a lavendar bra & panty set underneath with a few props to match. Since she did not own that color I was looking for, I bought it. I got the exact shots I pictured so it was very worth the few bucks it cost me. If I would of just shot in the colors she had, it would of not been exactly how I wanted it and I would of gone away wishing I would of made the purchase. So yes.....I would spend the money or work with a designer if you are going after a certain look.

Nov 23 05 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

And as for feeling weird.....not at all. I buy my wife clothes all the time. It is very common for a male to purchase clothing for a female. I see just as many guys in Victoris'a Secret as I do females.

Nov 23 05 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I normally don't provide clothing because I am usually looking for the "lady next door" look in my shoots.  Most models have that sort of clothing, as they occasionally have to go to the supermarket, 7-11, etc.  I ask most ladies to bring some outfits they'd wear when it's 85 degrees outside and they're going to the store...

I have bought exactly one article of clothing for a shoot and that was a pair of shoes for Naydra (one of my regular models) because she has cute feet and needed some cute shoes to wear on them...I don't have any of the photos here, but they're at my website (can't post the link here, it's technically an adult site.)

Nov 23 05 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Never.

It's always the models or clients responsibility.

Unless of course you're shooting nudes, then that's just redundant wink

Nov 23 05 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

I watch several thrift stores for dresses, and hats.  They are used more for props, or showing a model getting out of them.

Later I offer my fine art print collectors an option of buying a print with the models dress, as part of the package.  It easy to get an extra $50.00 for the dress.  One thrift store dress, auctioned off on Ebay, sold for $132.00,  and cost me $2.50.  You should make enough off of the clothing to cover most of the models shooting fees, if you sell collector prints.

Nov 23 05 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

I'll do a few sketches and try to find a desinger\stylist that is fairly close to what I'm thinking...  I have given girls $$$ to go shopping...  In a perfect world I wish I could always hire a stylist - but as a hobbyist photographer alot of stylists won't get to serious..  So I just use the cash I would've spent on a stylist and let the model go shop for some stuff... I use photography for reference for drawing - so I don't have to have my models dressed elaborately - just enough to give them some flair....

Nov 23 05 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

I've purchased outfits or pieces, usually on clearance at Ross/TJ Maxx, thrift store, or on fleabay.  Make sure you bring tape, scissors, seamripper, binder clips, and safety pins to the shoot for quick, on the spot, alterations.

I used to feel weird about shopping for women's clothes.  Now I just tell anyone giving me funny looks not to worry cause at 6'2", 215lbs there's no way I'm a size 5!

Nov 23 05 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Got a huge Rack of Clothes gettin more everyday..

Heck!! Nutin better than girls playin dress-up..

(:--------

Hj

Nov 23 05 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

I have more clothes for models then I own for myself. Not including the latex.  And I make the latex to match the idea of the shoot I have in mind.  And as of Dec 1 when and if a model flakes she will get a message with a link to the item she WAS going to shoot in on ebay.  ooops

Nov 23 05 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

House of DL

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

When ever I see something I like, I pick it up, even the wife will buy clothes she see at thrift shops and bring them home for me to use.

Nov 23 05 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Synergy Canada

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have quite a collection of "left behinds" from shoots.
And new items purchased for specific projects as well.

Items vary but in general:
-Skirts
-Blouses
-Dresses
-Nylons
-Heels
-Jackets
-Hats
-Lingerie
-Gloves
-Makeup
-Sun Glasses
-Underwear
-Toupe' Yep someone left a toupe behind LOL
-Costume jewellery
-Coffee mugs
-Boots

An amazing variety of items have been left behind over the years.
Funny how people forget small things and never seem to worry about it.

Nov 23 05 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Uh... no.

-Don

Nov 23 05 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Uh... no.

lol

Best response ever.  Precise.  Accurate.  Profound.  Hilarious.

Nov 24 05 03:07 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Either a designer provides clothing or if it's for a non-agency model I don't mind going shopping with them if they follow my rule  "If it makes your butt look fat, I'll say so".  smile

Nov 24 05 03:08 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

keep a huge wardrobe for my models /shoots, its all purchased online ,mostly ebay.

Nov 24 05 03:19 am Link

Photographer

ATLContentPro

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I do some light styling and accessorizing, once a model gets here we go through a mix and match and see what works. I also keep a  light make up kit just in case I do not have a make up artist on hand.

Nov 24 05 03:28 am Link

Photographer

D Fish

Springfield, Missouri, US

No the girls bring there own thongs.

Nov 24 05 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

what sizes are you buying?  i would think 5's would be reasonable - but I don't know...

Nov 24 05 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Duckee

Brooklyn, New York, US

provide clothes?... the more I provide.. the harder it is to get them all off.

Nov 24 05 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Images By Amber

San Diego, California, US

When my bf started his calendar he'd buy an outfit for every month of the calendar. So we have those outfits plus others that we would just buy and hope they'd come in handy some day :] I haven't had to buy for a specific shoot.

Nov 24 05 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

Julia Gerace wrote:
what sizes are you buying?  i would think 5's would be reasonable - but I don't know...

OS, small, medium, 5 or 6.  Corsets usually in 34 or 36.  Bras are tough cause there are so many sizes, but err on the smaller side.

Nov 24 05 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Images By Ijumo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I dont buy clothes for models/shoots but as I have used some of my own wardobe to accessorise in addition to whatever the model brings.

Nov 24 05 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

I keep a chest of clothes for models to wear. I also have a growing collection of shoes in all sizes. Why? Because you never know what a model will bring to a shoot. Her idea of casual, fashion or sexy could vary a great deal from yours. Some models have nothing but jeans, tight tees and flip flops. I prefer my models in skirts and spikey shoes. So I hedge my bets. If you are considering buying underwear, be prepared to give them to the model after the shoot since few models would considering wearing underwear that another woman has worn.

I've never had a problem walking into the women's section and buying clothes. Stores want your money and as long as the clothes don't fit you, you won't be accused of being a cross-dresser (and how bad could that be anyway?). Actually I was buying a size 10 high heel shoe from Nordstroms one time and the cashier asked if it was for me and I said "sure". She just smiled. It was good for a laugh.

The only hurdle you are likely to face is dealing with the other women waiting in line. They usually feel free to inspect the purchases of everyone else in line.

Nov 24 05 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I can't even dress myself. Either they provide their own clothes or they wear nothing.

Nov 24 05 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

hbynoe

Cliffside Park, New Jersey, US

i dont here in NYC
but i do provide props and extra material like tuele and such

Nov 24 05 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I have a stock of raw fabric I wrap them in from time to time, but buying clothes for the models to wear... no.

Nov 25 05 01:29 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

I've provided my own clothes and accessories for the models to wear and it's a good thing that I'm a total clothes whore. I generally don't approve of thier ( or in one case the mother's) taste. One photographer had a few totes of clothes that belonged to her daughter who modeled. I would think that under other circumstances, were the daughter not a model, that the clothes might not have been there. Another photographer had me go shopping with her and the model, which was a bit of a nightmare. Generally I like to see who I'm working with to get a feel of who they are and what I'd like to see them in. I don't like to get a lot of "input'' from the models regarding what they like or dislike because, and I know this sounds harsh but it really doesn't matter. As a stylist it's good to have access to a large amount of clothes, because a model's taste is often suspect or what they want is inconsistent with your vision for the shoot.

Nov 25 05 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Mcary

Fredericksburg, Virginia, US

I like the look of vintage lingerie, things like 1940s-1950s corsets, girdles and bustier.   Since I have a limited budget and this is just a hobby I usually pick stuff up off of eBay usually look for something in the 32-34 B-C size ranges.      I figure since the model is only going to be wearing if for a short while it doesn’t hurt if it’s a little tight.     Generally once I’ve found a model, sometimes that’s 4-6 months after I’ve purchased the item of clothing that can wear an item of clothing, I don’t use that item again.

I do wish models would buy their lingerie for shoots, especially bras, one size smaller then they normally wear as this would help eliminate wrinkles in these items.    Also so many casual and fashion shots could be made so much better if only the model had worn a strapless bra.     I think a black and a white strapless bra should be standard equipment for all models. 

Mike

Nov 25 05 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

I often buy clothes for my shoots.  Before I shoot with a model, we sit down and I get measurements and such for this very reason.  Sometimes I'll have a theme in mind that a model can fit into, but he/she doesn't have the wardrobe for it, so I'll go out and get it myself.  All the styling in my photos has been done by me to this point so I've gotten used to the aspect.  As for feeling weird about the shopping, not at all.  Usually I'll go with a female friend or a girlfriend anyway. 

But even if I don't I'll still have no qualms going to get something; it gives me the chance to do my confused guy in the women's section routine for the saleswomen...

Nov 25 05 12:22 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

If a photographer (or stylist, for that matter) can't provide clothing in the proper size, I'd rather they let me bring my own.  Pinning can only do so much and wearing shoes 2 sized too small is rather painful.  Very few photographers I've worked with provided wardrobe, and only two provided anything that fit properly.

Nov 25 05 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

theda wrote:
If a photographer (or stylist, for that matter) can't provide clothing in the proper size, I'd rather they let me bring my own.  Pinning can only do so much and wearing shoes 2 sized too small is rather painful.  Very few photographers I've worked with provided wardrobe, and only two provided anything that fit properly.

do you have a wide variety of pink feathered wear???

Nov 25 05 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

You let them wear bras under their clothes?

Nov 25 05 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

Yep, it's part of the deal with "Wetlook" photography.  The only clothing that models have provided are their own jeans. We provide the following:

skirts, short and long
l/s blouses
s/s blouses
tank tops
T shirts
vests
jackets light weight
one piece dresses, casual and elegant
formals
cocktail dressses
business suits
shoes/boots
stockings
earrings/braclets/necklaces
sunglasses

Its all part the shoot.  Its' hard to talk a model into going in the water with her AnnTaylor suit or Vera Wang formal for a swim!!....

Nov 25 05 02:36 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Mcary wrote:
I like the look of vintage lingerie, things like 1940s-1950s corsets, girdles and bustier.   Since I have a limited budget and this is just a hobby I usually pick stuff up off of eBay usually look for something in the 32-34 B-C size ranges.      I figure since the model is only going to be wearing if for a short while it doesn’t hurt if it’s a little tight.     Generally once I’ve found a model, sometimes that’s 4-6 months after I’ve purchased the item of clothing that can wear an item of clothing, I don’t use that item again.

I do wish models would buy their lingerie for shoots, especially bras, one size smaller then they normally wear as this would help eliminate wrinkles in these items.    Also so many casual and fashion shots could be made so much better if only the model had worn a strapless bra.     I think a black and a white strapless bra should be standard equipment for all models. 

Mike

Back in the good old days of the model bag certain things were staples.

Nov 25 05 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

no, mainly cause im broke as hell, and that i shoot models ranging from a size 2 to a size 14.  can you image buying clothes for range, jesus.

Nov 26 05 02:05 am Link