Forums > General Industry > Does this make ANY sense at all????

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Ok what is it with SOME models???? Are they actually thinking? Here's what Im talkin about.

Oh I don't do topless or any nudes. But look at their profile and there they are in sheer tops and bottoms or fishnet tops/bottoms displaying all the goods. WTF is the difference? Does some completly see through top make any difference????? Sheesh, buy a clue!

OK Rant over.

May 23 05 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Lamont

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I totally agree.....

May 23 05 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
Ok what is it with SOME models???? Are they actually thinking? Here's what Im talkin about.

Oh I don't do topless or any nudes. But look at their profile and there they are in sheer tops and bottoms or fishnet tops/bottoms displaying all the goods. WTF is the difference? Does some completly see through top make any difference????? Sheesh, buy a clue!

OK Rant over.

its a message directed at you alone..they'll pose nude for me, but not you...jk...

i personally love a model that will shoot in lingerie but not swimwear...

May 23 05 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

What I see on a lot of the profiles is "no nude/topless TFP"

Which makes more sense, actually.

May 23 05 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Oh I love this... She'll wear a Wicked Weasel micro bikini on the beach but OH MY GOD if you see then in their bra and panties which is covering a lot more... SHEESH....

May 23 05 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

They put that they don't because there are alot of perverted photographers who are looking for JUST that!

If they want to do nudes, they usually have thier own photographer, that, or they will find a photographer themselves.

May 23 05 07:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Oh I love this... She'll wear a Wicked Weasel micro bikini on the beach but OH MY GOD if you see then in their bra and panties which is covering a lot more... SHEESH.... 

Ive never understood why a lot of women have a problem with people seeing them in lingerie but dont mind people seeing them in tiny string bikinis that usually show more anyway. Something about lingerie that says "no no". oh well another perplexing odity about our society..

May 23 05 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Because they don't like the outdoors or shooting in public places with thier buttcheeks hanging out.

Then there are the ones who will do swimwear, but not lingerie.  That's because lingerie is more intimate with closed surroundings.

May 23 05 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
They put that they don't because there are alot of perverted photographers who are looking for JUST that!

If they want to do nudes, they usually have thier own photographer, that, or they will find a photographer themselves.

Still makes no sense. There is no rational that will be reasonably acceptable in this case.

If they will only do nudes with select photographers then.
1. State that on the profile rather than I dont do it at all. and or...
2. Don't post the images if they don't want to be asked for that.

But there is still no difference between wearing a completly see through top and nothing at all... gimme a break.

May 23 05 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
Still makes no sense. There is no rational that will be reasonably acceptable in this case.

It still makes no sense, but those were reasons given to me by models.  Take it or leave it.

May 23 05 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
But there is still no difference between wearing a completly see through top and nothing at all... gimme a break.

Then shoot them in something see-through and stop bitching about it.  SHEESH.

To some people there is a difference.  It's not about what's logical or rational, it's about what a person is comfortable with.  It's a personal thing that often can't be and doesn't need to be explained.  Either deal with it or move on to another model.

May 23 05 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

The model feedback on this one is stunning so far ...

May 23 05 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted by Joe Kozlowski: 

I'd also like to see SOME model feedback on this question. 

I have no issue with it myself.....if a model doesn't want to do lingerie or sheer or nude, that's her choice, as she's paying me to do the photos, she's the customer.  If it bothers you as a photographer, then move on to find another model.

but I would like to hear what some models have to say.  I'm sure everyone has their own reasons.

May 23 05 09:11 pm Link

Model

eric

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

May 23 05 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
Don't post the images if they don't want to be asked for that. 

Exactly.
If you, as a photographer, want to shoot cars, then why the hell would you show a client photos of kids?
You wouldn't.
You should only show the type of work you want (and are willing) to do.
Same goes for models.
Really, it's kind of a no-brainer.
Silliness...

May 23 05 09:27 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Aperture Photographics: 

Posted by Joe Kozlowski: 

Models don't talk!

Yes, you may not see any difference between sheer and nude, but Gary and Eric pretty much nailed it: other people do. If that's what the models feels confortable with, that's what she feel comfortable with.

And Doug, I'm one of those models that does lingerie (and full nides for that matter) but not swimwear. I'm so white you can see through me. That works fine for lingerie, but not so much for a bikini.

May 23 05 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Joe Kozlowski: 

LOL. For shore. *shouts* MODELS! Share some insights! Don't be intimidated.

May 23 05 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Joe Kozlowski: 

Models don't talk!

Yes, you may not see any difference between sheer and nude, but Gary and Eric pretty much nailed it: other people do. If that's what the models feels confortable with, that's what she feel comfortable with.

And Doug, I'm one of those models that does lingerie (and full nides for that matter) but not swimwear. I'm so white you can see through me. That works fine for lingerie, but not so much for a bikini.

I agree with you theda, I see a difference between sheer and nude, etc.  I don't care where the model sets her limits...she has a right to set them wherever she wants and feels comfortable.

I think some photographers will see a model with a nude photos in her portfolio, and they're turned down for a TFP or even a paid shoot and wonder why.  Could be she's just not comfortable shooting nudes with someone she doesn't know? 

I find it interesting and educational as to why you don't shoot swimwear.  Thanks for sharing that.

May 23 05 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

somehow I see your wisdom as very Egyptian,  maybe before the sea opened up.....

Queen Nefertheda.  Sounds good to me..

(mark's kisses butt for realizing that there is no delete button on MM and if anyone know Mark, they know he needs that button.)

But I do laugh at the pages on Omp nobody here of course that state NO nudes,  no nudes,  never will I do a nude,  no Nudes do not ask...

Then one line at the bottom ... well if you pay then maybe I will....

best stand up I have seen in a long time...

who is the writer for this stuff.. cracks me up everytime...

I love humor... anyone else...

Mark makes a note that he owes somebody two pink margaritas and not 1 happy hour cheap one which is two cheap ones.

Hey you in the peanut gallery... yes, you with the knife.. wakeup...

May 23 05 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I must admit my own silliness for english is a second language to me.  I came from the land of Mumble.

So even though I goof on the models because of their writings.  Well holy hoping snot Batman, look, look, look,

somewhere some place mark actually made a post without an english mistake.

I jest but agree that it is their choice to decide what to do.

It is funny but it is still their right to do so.

And that is all I have to say until I eat some food.

May 23 05 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Gary Davis: 

Posted by DJ Foothill: 

To some people there is a difference.  It's not about what's logical or rational, it's about what a person is comfortable with.  It's a personal thing that often can't be and doesn't need to be explained.  Either deal with it or move on to another model.

You know what Gary... I couldn't give a shit either way. It just makes no sense. Exposed is exposed regardless. It isn't an issue of what a persons limits are. It's just how about making some sense.

A model's limits are irrelevant to me. Its their choice and I respect that. I shoot models who do double anal and I shoot models who wont pose in pajamas. Doesn't matter to me. I don't EVER work with a model who doesn't fit my needs or the needs of my clients at that particular time. So not an issue.

Again I repeat Just make some freaking sense. Like the whole I'll prance around all day in a string bikini but dont look at me in underwear. C'Mon.

May 23 05 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Arturo J

Fremont, California, US

Hmm, double anal eh?  is that with or without pijammies?

May 23 05 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Posted by DJ Foothill: 

Posted by Gary Davis: 

Posted by DJ Foothill: 

I shoot models who do double anal and I shoot models who wont pose in pajamas. Doesn't matter to me. I don't EVER work with a model who doesn't fit my needs or the needs of my clients at that particular time. So not an issue.

I know models who shoot playboy style nudes and won't do them with a photographer who does hard core.  Comfort level of the model perhaps?  Maybe she's concerned that she might end up going beyond her limits?

Might be the same for a girl who doesn't do nudes not wanting to shoot bikini with a photographer known for nudes?

I have nothing against what you shoot by the way.  I understand you're just trying to make sense out of what you're observing.

May 23 05 09:59 pm Link

Model

eric

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

May 23 05 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

I understand you're just trying to make sense out of what you're observing.

Actually more like laughing at what I observe. The lesson here is communication be specific about it. Even photographers.

Posted by eric: 

I shoot models who do double anal

Now it makes sense why this issue bothers you so much....

Eric one has NOTHING to do with the other.

May 23 05 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 

it's true, from a lot of the models i've worked with, that while some of them DID state right off the bat that they wouldn't do nudes(whether on their profiles, on the phone after answering an ad, etc.) that after meeting with them, they DID do nudes...i even went as far as to ask a few of them "why?"...their answer was simple-because they were comfortable with me, versus not being as comfortable with MOST photographers...especially ones that they're leary or suspicious of...

but i do agree-maybe they should state "i will do topless/nudes/fetish/adult/erotic/etc. with select photographers only", to be more clear...

May 23 05 10:34 pm Link

Model

eric

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

May 23 05 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by eric: 

but i do agree-maybe they should state "i will do topless/nudes/fetish/adult/erotic/etc. with select photographers only", to be more clear...

And that will create yet another "Rant" from someone who feels left out...

Eric first off... I dont feel left out. I make my money regardless and I don't make it off of having models pay me to shoot them.

Secondly you took what I said out of context. You used one part and only one part that you CHOSE to use and then tried to assign a value to someting that in pieces has no value.

But at least by stating something like that it is HONEST. Something that I guess is a dying thing in today's society.

Chapa, I have done more first nudes with models than I can even remember at this point. For the same reason you stated. They were comfortable and happy that they weren't pressured. I don't care, and don't push.

I don't hire models for things that they are not suited for, period. I wouldn't pressume to waste their time or mine, or most importantly the clients.

Additionally and on another tangent I just got off the phone with a model I am going to be working with who says she isnt ready to do nudes yet. Cool. But what she did say is that when she is she would rather do them with a photographer who has the type of experience I do than with one who doesn't. Says she'd feel more comfortable since I see the stuff and then some daily. Kind of like why it SEEMS that gay guys always have all the hot women surrounding them.

May 23 05 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 

That's merely sound business sense.

Posted by DJ Foothill:

To You. Apparently the model(s) who are willing/interested in one but not the other don't see it that way.

Their perception IS the reality insofar as this goes. If you can't work with it, ask. It might be a rule to scare off the pervs, and it might be a legitimate limit--or they've changed their limits, and haven't updated their portfolio yet.

Saying they won't do things they actually will do may cost them jobs, though. And saying they will do something they actually won't do may well cost a lot of future offers, just from the annoyance they created when they're first contacted, and wasted everyones' time. But it's up to them...

May 23 05 11:52 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 

OK Rant over.

This catagory is a tough one to say what you will do and won't do. You could spend a day typing out I will do this but not that. Who's going to bother reading it all lol

I feel this is a comfort level of the model. If she feels more secure in wearing what you stated then so be it. It's not what you want in a model then move on. If she doesn't feel comfortable standing there naked, half naked then that's her right.
I hear this constantly on here people putting others down because they will do this work but not that work. It's a Choice and their right to exclude anything that doesn't make them feel good or comfortable.
There's enough models and choices online to get what you need without putting others down for stating their limitations.

May 24 05 02:02 am Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Thank you for saying that! I never quite knew how to put it...

May 24 05 02:23 am Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

although i very much agree with dj foothill(it would be nice if people in general were just more upfront and honest), kevin connery makes some very valid points-"Saying they won't do things they actually will do may cost them jobs, though. And saying they will do something they actually won't do may well cost a lot of future offers"...

i've worked with models who belonged to agencies, as well as with amateurs who were either college grads/students, with aspirations in high profile careers, that had nothing to do with modeling, and "professionals"(mortgage bankers, real estate brokers, lawyers), that were concerned about unwanted "exposure", but who didn't mind doing nudes or fetish work with me, because i can make models anonymous(not to mention comfortable) if i have to...

so far, i haven't had problems finding the right girls for my respective projects, so i don't ever really concern myself with what they write in their profiles...if a model has a look i'm after or i'm adamant about working with someone, i'll be upfront with them about what i do and what i'm looking for and that almost always does the trick...if it doesn't, there are many more girls out there who are up for it...

what i REALLY hate is when a model agrees to the terms of the projects(nudes/fetish/adult/erotic/etc.), then gets cold feet about it, AFTER she's already shown up...this is a waste of my time...

May 24 05 02:26 am Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 

I think you're a little frustrated, lol. There is always a difference, just as there is a difference between "artistic nude" and "erotic nude" and the epitome, the "fine art nude" (whoooooooo). It is the model's prerogative to state her boundaries. The hard part is getting the point across without sounding bad. As you have just illustrated, what you say on your profile has an effect on the reader! Give the girl some credit for trying, at least, to define her goals.

May 24 05 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

Posted by eric: 

And that will create yet another "Rant" from someone who feels left out...

i was generalizing a list of categories, as an example, that seem to be  frowned upon by a few models, from what i've read online(OMP, MM, etc.)...i'm sure there are other "sleazy" categories that i left out...smile

May 24 05 02:30 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by DJ Foothill: 

Double anal?  Is that even possible?  Ever tried putting two hotdogs inside of a bun? 

May 24 05 02:48 am Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 

Double anal?  Is that even possible?  Ever tried putting two hotdogs inside of a bun?   

i've seen it!!! not a pretty sight...but very possible...

May 24 05 03:00 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by chapa: 

Are are you watching such things?  lol

May 24 05 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

Posted by chapa: 

watching, doing, photographing-you name it!!!!!

May 24 05 03:43 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Oops!  I think I've came up with a studder, lol.

May 24 05 04:03 am Link

Model

lizbetbathory

Saint Peters, Missouri, US

yep not many models posting......i dont mind  nudes... but im not a barbie or a add for laxatives.....sorry for the ickyness....models are goofy......clothed nude i dont mind as long as its in good taste and that means what i think is good taste... its a matter of the model and comfortlevel of the photag ill shoot nude in a park with some but others i wont even take off my bra..... but im odd so my opinion may not count

May 24 05 07:12 am Link