Forums > Photography Talk > what gives!

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

Last week I had three photo shoots planned.
I had to spend the night where I drove to cause it was pretty far from where I lived.
The first model rushed through the shoot, 5 or 6 outfits in only 45 minutes, and afterwards 9three days later, i believe) refused to sign any model releases.
The second model was a no-call no-show.
The third model showed, but made some excuse why she couldn't do the shoot.

Next weekend, model cancels on Saturday evening.
Monday: model cancels (and we both planned this shoot for over two weeks)
The other night: model tells me other models blow me off cause my work sucks ass.

I think I'm way too impatient to keep getting blown off by models all the time, i.e. I quit!
Too many models on here have way too big of an ego for only being "internet models."
'effin bull$hit!

Nov 27 05 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Picture This

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Man... I feel for you. I am having similar problems getting models to follow through with their agreements.

I figure that just because a person "says" they are a model doesn't mean they are willing to "do" anything about it.

Especially TFP shoots. If a model is interested in working they will NOT back out on a booking - unless they have a damned good excuse. Serious models take it... well, seriously.

Start charging for your work. You won't get many TFPs out of it, but at least you can keep their deposit when they don't show up.

Nov 27 05 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

I have had the same problems. 

I know you're in Michigan...perhaps it's just Michigan models who think they are great stuff, but in reality are nothing more than amatures needing attention.

I've worked with some great models here, but also have had a lot of pain's in the butt.  A lot of no-shows, a lot of cancellations (though most just don't show,) and a lot that schedule and never follow through.

I feel your pain, and aggrivation.

Nov 27 05 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

uh huh.
you've noticed that trend with Michigan models too, huh?
Maybe I should get away from the fashion type of garbage
and go back to documentary/journalstic approach like i use to do.

Nov 27 05 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Harding Photography

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Florida, US

Granted I'm fairly new to the model shoots (over a year)...but I'd like to think I'm learning quickly.
No  shows....I don't even start shooting until the model signs the release for that very reason. I know some say sign afterwards...but I spell out the shoot before hand and have it in writing. No shows are a fact of 'internet' model selection so it seems. If you get burned too much, have them sign a contract for project before hand...that way if they default you get money...plus it cuts down on the fakes.

I'm sure the models can tell equally horrofic stories.

Though technology supposedly has made life easier..it rather seems to have broken some of the more traditional business bonds between photographers and models, and allowed the posers and GWCs (don't start that thread again!) to infiltrate. Probably 70% of the models I contact (for TFP/CD) turn out to be would be no-shows...mostly new folks that think they want to model or someone has talked them into it. I only shoot TFP/CD with local people or those willing to travel on their own dime. Paid gigs...I've only had one noshow.

I'm sure the more experienced Photomeisters can give you better advice...but don't give up on shooting.....just a side note...if they really thought your stuffed sucked..why did they say yes in the first place?

Nov 27 05 08:47 pm Link

Model

Marllee

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

A https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/Pinksee/hug.gifto feel better?

Although I don't see what's wrong with a model changing their mind about a shoot. Unless there's money involved (as in studio space/hotel rented, make up artist involved, driving out to shoot with the person, etc... not how much someones camera cost them) are you really missing out on much?

Nov 27 05 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Marllee wrote:

Although I don't see what's wrong with a model changing their mind about a shoot. Unless there's money involved (as in studio space/hotel rented, make up artist involved, driving out to shoot with the person, etc... not how much someones camera cost them) are you really missing out on much?

Hi Marllee.

I'm sure the OP appreciates your eHug but I, for one, can't resist responding to this.

You don't see what's wrong with a model just "changing their mind about a shoot".
Wow, this amazes me. I am simply amazed that you would say that.

Once someone makes an appointment, they should keep it..unless something truly comes up that simply won't allow the person to keep said appointment. And in that case a phone call is the only professional thing to do. Simply changing ones mind is immature, unprofessional and down-right rude.

Yes, we miss out on much when a model decides that she has something better to do. Certainly I, and most others, are busy enough that we can spend that time doing other things, but we also could have booked A REAL model on that day.
Remind me to never book a shoot with you......

Nov 27 05 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

I agree.

A no-show is a few hours where I COULD have booked a PAYING client, could have booked another serious model, could have made money instead of spending.

(It COSTS us $$ to do a shoot, regardless of what's believed by models...)

Sure digital...ok, cost of electricity, cost of CD to burn images on, cost that we spent on gas (if it was a location shoot), cost that we put into the camera/computer/etc

That doesn't even account for film.

A model may "think" that we don't spend much for a shoot, but it adds up...and a no-show model is money poorly spent.

I agree on the model release before hand....(if you don't show, it costs $$)

On the other hand...that is just opening yourself up to complaints later on down the road....problems booking models...etc.

*Sigh*  Why can't models (some, not ALL) take this a BIT more seriously...this IS a business, not just a fun way to get free images for their Myspace account.

Nov 27 05 09:14 pm Link

Model

Marllee

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

EyeOnYouModels wrote:
Yes, we miss out on much when a model decides that she has something better to do. Certainly I, and most others, are busy enough that we can spend that time doing other things, but we also could have booked A REAL model on that day.
Remind me to never book a shoot with you......

I guess I just don't mind the idea of "oh well shit happens." I've had photographers cancel on me last minute, not show up, or not deliver pictures. I've just never dwelt on any of that and moved on. In those instances when a photographer flakes out on me I just put it in perspective and realize that I wasn't even getting paid in the first place and that it only cost me $4 in travel money (usually) for just a waste of time.

Nov 27 05 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Robert_Vega wrote:
Last week I had three photo shoots planned.
I had to spend the night where I drove to cause it was pretty far from where I lived.
The first model rushed through the shoot, 5 or 6 outfits in only 45 minutes, and afterwards 9three days later, i believe) refused to sign any model releases.
The second model was a no-call no-show.
The third model showed, but made some excuse why she couldn't do the shoot.

Next weekend, model cancels on Saturday evening.
Monday: model cancels (and we both planned this shoot for over two weeks)
The other night: model tells me other models blow me off cause my work sucks ass.

I think I'm way too impatient to keep getting blown off by models all the time, i.e. I quit!
Too many models on here have way too big of an ego for only being "internet models."
'effin bull$hit!

This is why I rarely do TFP's but when I do have time (offseason) I post this on my site...

[b]>>> MY 6 STEP PROGRAM REGARDING TFP's  I do very selective TFP’s and when I do, this is How I Do Them:
1) model must be 18+ with proper I.D. and bring a copy of it to the shoot
2) model must sign a model release before shoot
3) I do not sign over or share copyrights
4) The model will get a CD with not less than 10% of the total number of photographs taken during the shoot as Promotional Images, 14-21 days after the photo shoot.
5) TFP is to be used by the model, mua, stylist, etc. for self promotion ONLY! Promotional materials include but are not limited to portfolios, comp cards & website. Not to be sold or used commercially without my written consent.
6) For a TFP, a deposit of $100.00 is required to insure a sincere commitment! Your deposit is returned the moment you arrive for your shoot. Cancellation must take place at least 24hrs. before the shoot. That is all...Have A Great Day smile

Nov 27 05 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Marllee wrote:

I guess I just don't mind the idea of "oh well shit happens." I've had photographers cancel on me last minute, not show up, or not deliver pictures. I've just never dwelt on any of that and moved on. In those instances when a photographer flakes out on me I just put it in perspective and realize that I wasn't even getting paid in the first place and that it only cost me $4 in travel money (usually) for just a waste of time.

I can't speak for the photogs that you've had that cancelled, no-showed or didn't deliver pictures. It would seem that many photogs are unprofessional as well.

And yes, "shit" does happen. However, simply "changing ones mind" doesn't fall under the category of shit happening.
Regardless of how many models have no-showed with me that doesn't mean that I will carry such a casual attitude with the other models.

Nov 27 05 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

SpreePhotos

New York, New York, US

Man, this borders on the ridiculous. You should QUIT when you want to... not because some flaky, unreliable, so-called models blow you off with lame excuses, like your photos suck and such.

Your have some great-looking shots in your port, in my humble opinion.
Maybe some models don't really care for black and white images, but so what? Can't tell you what to do... but I have never ever allowed idiots to turn me into an idiot. Keep doing what you are doing. Still, it's your choice.

Nov 27 05 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Another day in the soap opera "As The Internet Turns".

Nov 27 05 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

Marllee wrote:

In my past personal experience, there has almost always been a financial cost incurred when a model flakes. I normally shoot on location, and I have driven to the location of several shoots, only to be stood up by a flakey model. The expense of the drive alone could easily be over $50. I have several times purchased materials for shoots that I never got to use. I remember spending about $300 once, preparing for a shoot that never happened, because the model flaked at the last minute. Models have no earthly idea what expenses the photographer might have associated with an aborted shoot. Even if they did, I doubt that a lot of them would care. I've certainly met a few that I know for a fact didn't care about the money they cost me.

Also, it's not usually just a simple matter of the photographer turning on the lights in their "already paid for" studio, and pointing their "already paid for" camera gear in the direction of the model as she deigns to enter their shooting space. Good and creative photography often takes planning and preparation. There can be a lot of time spent getting ready for a shoot, especially if anything remotely elaborate is being planned. (I'm not talking about the type of "assembly-line" photography practiced at "portrait mills" or in cheap department stores.) I get the impression that you don't think a person's time has any value. This is possibly the worst misconception you have. Money? Heck, I can always make more money. Money can be replaced -- time can't. If you flake on a shoot, you not only waste the time the photographer might have spent waiting on you to arrive the day of the shoot, but you have also wasted all the time he spent searching for a model, the time spent negotiating the terms and outlining the goals of the shoot, and all the time they spent in preparation for the shoot. This could sometimes be several days worth of time. You're robbing this person of a slice of their very own life! They can't get that time back, not from you, not from anyone. Oh sure, you might say they can always reschedule, but that robs their future time that they would have spent on something else.

Maybe you feel your time isn't worth anything, but many other people properly realize how valuable their time truly is. Contrary to the old saying, time isn't money. Time is worth far more than money. One day, you will realize that.

later,
Glen

Nov 27 05 10:47 pm Link

Model

Marllee

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I don't know for others but the time usually spent on setting up a tfp shoot for me  consists of a few e-mails and a couple of phone calls. So if things happen to fall through I really don't see it as such a lost and doesn't make that big of a dent in my life.

If it's an elaborate shoot that's been setup weeks or months in advance I try my best to make it and am usually looking foward to it. If something unavoidable comes up then I try to reschedule a few days in advance. But if the photographer just happens to have the day off and wants to meet up so we can "shoot some stuff" with no real direction...well I don't feel so guilty about calling a couple hours ahead and saying I can't make it if i'm not up to it.

Nov 27 05 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

*Sigh*

And again...models don't get the idea of what TIME really is...

You see it as not much investment...

Photographers (for the most part) have to put in A LOT of time and effort JUST for a TFP.

Where seemingly you show up for a shoot all ready...think of all the time spent setting up, scheduling, getting ready, buying props, (if its a location shoot, time has to be spent scoping that setting, talking to the owners, etc)

Just not showing up is horrible business skills, and proves to me that you're nothing more than an amature who doesn't take it seriously.

(Think if your doctor decided to just not show up for a procedure, or a hair stylist, or if you went to you bank and they decided to just not be open because they didn't feel like it...or your pharmacy...)

This IS a business for some of us, and not showing up is one of the worst things a model can do for a photographer.  Imagine if you spent countless hours getting ready for something, (say...a date?) and you took several days of planning, bought several things, had everything planned out and you were sitting there waiting...and your date never shows....ya...similar feelings...

Nov 27 05 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Work ethics have gone down the tubes in this country. It's prevelant in every industry and unfortunately in ours also. You get what you give. I have refused to work with models (I use that term loosely) that have the attitude of a walmart employee. We've all had them...the no-show because they went out the night before and got trashed...or they decided to go to the beach because it was a great *beach day* duh.

I gotta get out of this thread...it's frustrating. And I hate to see a good photographer change his direction due to a couple of flakes.

Nov 27 05 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

I sincerely hope that Robert doesn't give up. I just hope he finds some reliable models. (Which is what I wish for all photographers who need models.) Maybe a short break from shooting models might be good for Robert, but finding some reliable models would surely be the best thing.

take care,
Glen

Nov 27 05 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Marllee wrote:
I don't know for others but the time usually spent on setting up a tfp shoot for me  consists of a few e-mails and a couple of phone calls. So if things happen to fall through I really don't see it as such a lost and doesn't make that big of a dent in my life.

That is one of the most inconsiderate and self-centered sounding statements I have read in ages. As long as it doesn't make a dent in your life, you apparently don't care about the hardship you might cause someone else. That's pretty cold.

People like you make it tempting to purchase Poser 6 and go into illustration.

Fortunately, there are some honest and reliable models out there. There aren't quite enough of them, but I've found enough to talk myself out of giving up.

later,
Glen

Nov 28 05 12:23 am Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Harrison Township, Michigan, US

nineandnineteen wrote:
*Sigh*

And again...models don't get the idea of what TIME really is...

You see it as not much investment...

Photographers (for the most part) have to put in A LOT of time and effort JUST for a TFP.

Where seemingly you show up for a shoot all ready...think of all the time spent setting up, scheduling, getting ready, buying props, (if its a location shoot, time has to be spent scoping that setting, talking to the owners, etc)

Just not showing up is horrible business skills, and proves to me that you're nothing more than an amature who doesn't take it seriously.

(Think if your doctor decided to just not show up for a procedure, or a hair stylist, or if you went to you bank and they decided to just not be open because they didn't feel like it...or your pharmacy...)

This IS a business for some of us, and not showing up is one of the worst things a model can do for a photographer.  Imagine if you spent countless hours getting ready for something, (say...a date?) and you took several days of planning, bought several things, had everything planned out and you were sitting there waiting...and your date never shows....ya...similar feelings...

Not all models feel that time isn't an investment (I work full time and go to school fulltime and sleep... oh never so the little amount of time I have is VERY important to me!!)... and not all MICHIGAN models will pull a no-show!!!! I for one (being a Michigan model) have never been a no-show. I can't imagine doing that to someone who is willing to help me!!!! It all boils down to who really wants it and who is here for an ego boost!!! I REALLY want this!!!! I try my hardest and I'm ALWAYS looking to improve!!!! It's really a hard concept for me to grasp... just not showing up... If I'm on my way and I think I'm going to be making it even a minute late I make sure to call the photographer to let them know that!!!! I'm sure there are legitimate excuses every now and again, but how can you warrent not calling as soon as something comes up?!?!?!? I'm sorry that whole concept baffels me!!!! So if you're looking for a reliable model... in Michigan... you've got one here!!!! wink

Nov 28 05 01:28 am Link

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

This is why I no longer do TFP/TFCD anymore without a referral from someone I know.  I had too many people flake out on me, especially when I clear my weekend to accomidate them.  If they get referred by a friend, then there's at least some accountability as the friend can always put the pressure on them, and leverage that relationship.  (plus it makes the friend look bad if the model flakes out on me, so there's accountability)

Nov 28 05 02:28 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Marllee wrote:

If it's an elaborate shoot that's been setup weeks or months in advance I try my best to make it and am usually looking foward to it. If something unavoidable comes up then I try to reschedule a few days in advance. But if the photographer just happens to have the day off and wants to meet up so we can "shoot some stuff" with no real direction...well I don't feel so guilty about calling a couple hours ahead and saying I can't make it if i'm not up to it.

You are just not getting it girlie.  For YOU, the time doesn't mtter, for the photographer it's time that could have been booked with a REAL model, or doing work for a client.  It takes time to set up lights, making sure everything is set and just right for a model to walk in and the shooting to begin.

You are doing more to damage your reputation right now with your flippant comments.  I know have your name down as a DO NOT CONTACT or the times I get to New York, which is quite often.  Good luck with that attitude!

Nov 28 05 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

it's got nothing to do with tfp... as an art photographer that's just about all I do, and I've had exactly two no-shows in seven years and 250+ models.  And yes, about 20 of those have been Michigan models.

It IS all about choosing models carefully, learning to be a good judge of character, weeding out the flakes before the day of the shoot (better to lose 10 minutes on e-mails than major time later), and acting in a civilized and professional manner which results in everyone taking each other seriously.

Nov 28 05 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Marllee wrote:

This is part of the problem.  Yes, there is a cost involved for me to drive a hour to where I shoot not to mention the hour I wait for them to show when they don't and the hour drive back home.  So minus the fuel cost, I have lost three hours of my productive time on earth.  Thats something I can never recover and if you don't "get" that then you lack understanding on the value of others.
mark

Nov 28 05 11:30 pm Link