Forums > Model Colloquy > Photographers On Myspace

Model

Sexy Nesha

Oakland, California, US

Ok Im just going to jump right in and tell you the get down.

Photog send me a message on MS titled: PHOTOSHOOT. In the message all he send is: Name, Number, Email & Messenger name.

I send him my name email and messenger info. His reply: MISSING INFORMATION meaning I didnt leave my number. I tell him I refuse to give my phone number out to anyone regardless of your intentions. I explain that there are more "FANS" of models than there are "REAL" photographer on Myspace. Had this been MM or OMP Id be more comfortable doing so. I'd also want refrences as well, some profiles on Myspace are fake so a model you send me to can be a phony.

He replys back with: If its that much of a hassel I wont stick around to see how a shoot with you would be like.

I tell him if he was proffessional about the situation he'd respect my mind and privacy. Im not downgrading his crdiability I just dont trust Myspace as a networking tool based on past experience and how many modeling scams out here now or days.

He says Well a photogs port should be good enough reference and goes on and on about what do I view as a real photog. I ignore the last message because obviously he doe not understand. I also seen he was only 23 so that sort of told me a lil more, he is probably an amature.

Funny part about all this, he makes a blog that same day with "References" which he post websites his work is featured on. Anyway how do you feel about photographers on myspace? I know some have them that are also here on MM but he had just MS.

Sep 27 07 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Awesome Photos

Santa Maria, California, US

I believe every one's privacy must be respected. If you do not with to give your phone number before checking him out, you have total right to do so and he should understand and respect that. The more one insisits on obtaining private information, the more they can freek out a model.

Once you agree on a photo shoot, then you should give him a number to contact you in case he needs to. It is only fair when you have his number, you should give him yours as well.

Sep 27 07 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Perez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hi,

In your situation I think you did go by asking some of the right questions. This is refreshing because I on average read a post about how a model got into funny situations because she did not ask up front.

I have to admit there some females members on there who are looking for guys to tell them they are the world and my thought you were you were one of these members. These types of members I ran across twice.

Sep 27 07 03:14 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Sexy Nesha wrote:
I also seen he was only 23 so that sort of told me a lil more, he is probably an amature.

Anyway how do you feel about photographers on myspace? I know some have them that are also here on MM but he had just MS.

Age has absolutely nothing to do with someones ability to produce quality work or their professionalism.
There are some 17 years olds here who put people who claim to have 25 years experience to shame.
Some people don't know about resources such as OMP or Model Mayhem.

Sep 27 07 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

Sexy Nesha wrote:
I also seen he was only 23 so that sort of told me a lil more, he is probably an amature.

Yeah, I think I just lost any respect I had for you. What does age have to do with anything again?

Hey - P.S. In case you hadn't noticed, you are 23 yourself, and not exactly a professional.

Pot, meet kettle.

Sep 27 07 03:21 pm Link

Model

Sarah Michaels

Los Angeles, California, US

To quote Aaliyah, "Age ain't nothin but a number".

Bringin the old school jams back!

Sep 27 07 03:25 pm Link

Model

EricaDean

Altamonte Springs, Florida, US

If a photographer messages me on MySpace, I ask if he/she is on a modeling community site like MM or elsewhere. If all he/she has is a MySpace profile, there's nothing in this world that could convince me to shoot with him/her.

Frankly, though, my profile is personal, so anyone contacting me through there for anything related to modeling is probably just a troll anyway. MySpace is for my friends. MM, PM, MC, and ML are for networking.

Sep 27 07 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Kelly Watkins

San Diego, California, US

being on myspace has nothing to do with this. it was just the means of connection.

however, a stranger should not insist on having personal information. i'd be turned off too.

Sep 27 07 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

EricaDean wrote:
If a photographer messages me on MySpace, I ask if he/she is on a modeling community site like MM or elsewhere. If all he/she has is a MySpace profile, there's nothing in this world that could convince me to shoot with him/her.

Frankly, though, my profile is personal, so anyone contacting me through there for anything related to modeling is probably just a troll anyway. MySpace is for my friends. MM, PM, MC, and ML are for networking.

There are many, many top photographers who are not on a single one of these networking sites. However, many of them do have myspaces in addition to their own websites.

Sep 27 07 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Rhonda708

Miami, Florida, US

Envy wrote:

Age has absolutely nothing to do with someones ability to produce quality work or their professionalism.
There are some 17 years olds here who put people who claim to have 25 years experience to shame.

agreed!

Sep 27 07 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

Kelly Watkins wrote:
being on myspace has nothing to do with this. it was just the means of connection.

however, a stranger should not insist on having personal information. i'd be turned off too.

real business and bookings are conducted via telephone.

Sep 27 07 03:31 pm Link

Model

__noir__

Buffalo, New York, US

Kelly Watkins wrote:

agreed.

Sep 27 07 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Rhonda708

Miami, Florida, US

Nick Zantop wrote:

nick did I ever tell you how much i like you? wink

Sep 27 07 03:33 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Like an open Rose

did his name start with an H?

Sep 27 07 03:35 pm Link

Model

EricaDean

EricaDean wrote:

Nick Zantop wrote:
There are many, many top photographers who are not on a single one of these networking sites. However, many of them do have myspaces in addition to their own websites.

Oh, I'm sure. And like I said, my profile is personal and has nothing to do with my modeling, so I highly doubt any top photographers are just going to randomly be searching for random girls in Altamonte Springs who might be pretty enough to model. See what I mean?

Sep 27 07 03:35 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Like an open Rose

i think i know exactly who you are talking about.
Im sorry but that gy is a creep
please dont give him your number!

Sep 27 07 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Primox Studios

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Nick Zantop wrote:

Yeah, I think I just lost any respect I had for you. What does age have to do with anything again?

Hey - P.S. In case you hadn't noticed, you are 23 yourself, and not exactly a professional.

Pot, meet kettle.

Nick Zantop wrote:

Nick Zantop wrote:

Nick got it right... anything else I add would be repeating...

Photographer

Mgaphoto

Envy wrote:

And there are 17 year olds who will never accomplish what some 25 year vets have done big_smile

Photographer

A Traveler

Rhonda Oatman wrote:

nick did I ever tell you how much i like you? wink

it is entirely possible wink

In all honesty - I could care less about giving my personal information out on the internet. The agencies all have my phone number. The magazines all have my phone number. It's posted on my business cards. It's posted on my promotional postcards. It's posted on my website, MM, and every other thing I belong to.

Serious business happens on the phone and in person. Email is acceptable for limited discussions and for going over details, but if someone is interested in hiring me, they must contact via the phone as well.

Sep 27 07 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Age is irrelevant. What counts is the quality and strength of the photographs.

What if I wrote you introducing that I am 26 and I started last year summer 2006 and then drop my portfolio, will you shoot with me?

Sarcasm aside, age is irrelevant. Unless you have seen this 23 year old's portfolio.

Best regards,

Ronald N. Tan

Sexy Nesha wrote:
Ok Im just going to jump right in and tell you the get down.

Photog send me a message on MS titled: PHOTOSHOOT. In the message all he send is: Name, Number, Email & Messenger name.

I send him my name email and messenger info. His reply: MISSING INFORMATION meaning I didnt leave my number. I tell him I refuse to give my phone number out to anyone regardless of your intentions. I explain that there are more "FANS" of models than there are "REAL" photographer on Myspace. Had this been MM or OMP Id be more comfortable doing so. I'd also want refrences as well, some profiles on Myspace are fake so a model you send me to can be a phony.

He replys back with: If its that much of a hassel I wont stick around to see how a shoot with you would be like.

I tell him if he was proffessional about the situation he'd respect my mind and privacy. Im not downgrading his crdiability I just dont trust Myspace as a networking tool based on past experience and how many modeling scams out here now or days.

He says Well a photogs port should be good enough reference and goes on and on about what do I view as a real photog. I ignore the last message because obviously he doe not understand. I also seen he was only 23 so that sort of told me a lil more, he is probably an amature.

Funny part about all this, he makes a blog that same day with "References" which he post websites his work is featured on. Anyway how do you feel about photographers on myspace? I know some have them that are also here on MM but he had just MS.

Sep 27 07 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Vzmala

New York, New York, US

a real professional would only ask for the appropiate information at the appropriate time- anything other than that is waste of time- u did the right thing- much success with your unique look

VZMALA

Sep 27 07 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Rhonda708

Miami, Florida, US

Nick Zantop wrote:

it is entirely possible wink

In all honesty - I could care less about giving my personal information out on the internet. The agencies all have my phone number. The magazines all have my phone number. It's posted on my business cards. It's posted on my promotional postcards. It's posted on my website, MM, and every other thing I belong to.

Serious business happens on the phone and in person. Email is acceptable for limited discussions and for going over details, but if someone is interested in hiring me, they must contact via the phone as well.

you could have not said it better!

Sep 27 07 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Charles Anthony Smith

Jackson, Mississippi, US

I do understand your concerns. I have a myspace page, a website and this site as you can see. I think models should ask all kinds of questions concerning the skill base, vision and most importantly the character of the photographer. A good photog should do the same. Now, that age thing is not really a good indicator of skill and talent. Example, I spent the summer in Sante Fe, NM at the famed Sante Fe workshops a few years ago and this class had all these seasoned, published working photogs from all over the country. Well, this one kid from Michigan blew everybody away in terms of his cooky artistic way of creating images. I became a fan and he is now living in LA and I see his bylines in US Weekly, Peoples and EW occasionally! He should be about 25 now. Talent is first, age is just a number!

Sep 27 07 03:44 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Like an open Rose

my myspace looks better than my modelmayhem

Sep 27 07 03:47 pm Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

I was contacted on myspace about a shoot for a cd cover or something. They wanted it to be nude. I asked very general questions like, how did you get the images of me nude (which are on this site but that person isn't on here) and other questions about the shoot. After 2 brief messages that didn't answer any of my questions the conversation just stopped.

Always be careful about who you give information to and who you shoot with.  This person was obviously a scam, I was smart enough to notice it very early.

Sep 27 07 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Alex Yang Photography

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

I have a myspace profile. I had it before coming on to MM. I occasionally get work from myspace...not a lot...but like you said...Privacy is understandable. smile He should  respect it, but if the "photographer" doesn't...then move on!

Sep 27 07 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Kelly Watkins

Nick Zantop wrote:

i've actually conducted a lot of business with musicians and other photographers through myspace. conventional, no. but doable, yes.

Sep 27 07 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

Studio Royale wrote:
I do understand your concerns. I have a myspace page, a website and this site as you can see. I think models should ask all kinds of questions concerning the skill base, vision and most importantly the character of the photographer. A good photog should do the same.

I really don't have time to give interviews or describe my character traits in great detail. I prefer working with agency models - they have the reputation of their agency behind them and I don't need to waste time giving them an IQ test or charachter evaluation either.

Now, that age thing is not really a good indicator of skill and talent. Example, I spent the summer in Sante Fe, NM at the famed Sante Fe workshops a few years ago and this class had all these seasoned, published working photogs from all over the country. Well, this one kid from Michigan blew everybody away in terms of his cooky artistic way of creating images. I became a fan and he is now living in LA and I see his bylines in US Weekly, Peoples and EW occasionally! He should be about 25 now. Talent is first, age is just a number!

this, I do agree with.

Sep 27 07 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Matthew Terhune

Poughkeepsie, New York, US

Kelly Watkins wrote:

+1

Sep 27 07 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

Kelly Watkins wrote:

i've actually conducted a lot of business with musicians and other photographers through myspace. conventional, no. but doable, yes.

I've had a good deal of business find me on myspace myself, however after the initial email on there, contact information is exchanged. I do not conduct professional business on Myspace, although people are more than welcome to contact me there.

Sep 27 07 03:52 pm Link

Model

Sexy Nesha

Oakland, California, US

Nick Zantop wrote:

Pot, meet kettle.

I was trying to get at his professionalism, he was obviously an amature and was trying so hard to get my number. Regarless of what respect you have for I really wouldnt care. I can tell some ppl on this site like to pick at such little things and not the point of the discussion. Mybe if you were polite and asked what I ment by it instead of jumping on me about it you would understand. FYI there is no edit button to be more descriptive my my claim

Sep 27 07 03:54 pm Link

Model

EricaDean

Nick Zantop wrote:
I really don't have time to give interviews or describe my character traits in great detail. I prefer working with agency models - they have the reputation of their agency behind them and I don't need to waste time giving them an IQ test or charachter evaluation either.

Nick, how often do you troll MySpace in hopes of finding talent? You don't have to submit to the 20 questions because you are beyond such plebian attempts to find attractive women to pose for you.

Those who lurk MySpace to find models should expect to have to show their credentials. It's the nature of the beast.

Sep 27 07 03:55 pm Link

Model

Sexy Nesha

Oakland, California, US

CafeAulait wrote:
did his name start with an H?

Ummm his company did lol

Sep 27 07 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Kelly Watkins

Nick Zantop wrote:

I've had a good deal of business find me on myspace myself, however after the initial email on there, contact information is exchanged. I do not conduct professional business on Myspace, although people are more than welcome to contact me there.

yes, i agree.

but, i did have a band from london, who was touring at the time, contact me via myspace to set up a shoot and arrangements without once speaking on the phone (until they called me the day of the shoot to tell me they were stuck in traffic). they were only 15 minutes late. but still, the entire transaction of working out the details and payment all happened thru myspace.

Sep 27 07 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

EricaDean wrote:

Nick, how often do you troll MySpace in hopes of finding talent? You don't have to submit to the 20 questions because you are beyond such plebian attempts to find attractive women to pose for you.

Those who lurk MySpace to find models should expect to have to show their credentials. It's the nature of the beast.

I'd say just about never big_smile

However, in the event that I ever did, my credits are listed on there as well. In fact, I just copied and pasted the same thing to every single thing I belong to.

Sep 27 07 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Displayy Namee

Antelope, South Dakota, US

Yeah, that's a very un-professional situation. If he was for real, I'm sure there would have been more than "can I get your number." Keep your portfolio growing, good luck!

Sep 27 07 04:00 pm Link

Model

EricaDean

EricaDean wrote:

Nick Zantop wrote:
I'd say just about never big_smile

However, in the event that I ever did, my credits are listed on there as well. In fact, I just copied and pasted the same thing to every single thing I belong to.

Ah, and here we find the delineation between the professionals and the yeah-not-so-much. If this guy had his creidts listed on his profile, she would not have needed to ask, and likely would not have felt so reluctant to provide contact information. However, such an individual would likely not contact her on MySpace to begin with as they have other, more reliable avenues of networking with and hiring professional models.

Sep 27 07 04:04 pm Link

Model

Ivy Vynes

Toledo, Ohio, US

Nick Zantop wrote:

Pot, meet kettle.

no need to get snarky. 23 year old photographer on myspace who's acting like a spoiled snobby jerk gives younger photographers a bad name. I look at the age of photographers constantly, especially male ones, and most certainly one that contacts me so unprofessionally on stupid MySpace. It's not hard to get a profile on any number of modeling sites. He could have handled himself better and I think his age has played a part in that. I've had a number of very young myspace "photographers" (and models) contact me or friend me, I'm always leery of them

as for her age? I think she proved her maturity level and professionalism already. I think it was handled well. -I-, personally, would have been more of a bitch to him honestly. Kudos to Nesha!

Sep 27 07 04:04 pm Link

Model

Sexy Nesha

Oakland, California, US

I appreciate all opinions even the negative. Sometimes we can all be misunderstood and here comes those few ppl with a stick in there bum and throw shots. But all in all its your opinion, it would just be nice if ppl could ask politely why a person stated what they did.

Sep 27 07 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

EricaDean wrote:

there are a few exceptions... i was on MySpace long before i found my way to MM...

with networking, what comes around, goes around... the person you snob today could very well delete your model submission tomorrow...

granted, there are tons of crazies and fakes on Myspace, but there are quite a few on OMP and MM as well...

then again, maybe I'm a troll too... hehehe

Sep 27 07 04:11 pm Link