Forums > Model Colloquy > Photographers On Myspace

Photographer

TM Hitchcock

San Diego, California, US

I have a myspace, but use it mostly for personal stuff...I have my photography info on it just in case. However, I never contact anyone for business from there, always from my own website...occasionally from here wink

Sep 27 07 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

If I can get leads and money coming in using Myspace I will, however I never seek out models using it.

One guy wrote one of my models and asked her if he could use a picture I took of her on a CD cover.  She told him yeah help yourself.  I found out about it and after 3 messages to her and about 5000 words she kinda understands how I feel about that now.  I wrote the guy and told him he needed to pay the model if he wants pictures.  He hasn't replied since.

I don't put a lot of faith in things happening on Myspace.  If someone comes to me with an offer to shoot a wedding like someone did today, I'll jump on it.

Sep 28 07 12:10 am Link

Model

Christie Taylor

Houston, Texas, US

What is the best way to protect your pics on my space other than to not post them?
Isn't there a way to keep them from being copied??Something in the coding??

Anyone know?

Sep 28 07 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Distortion Forge

Camas, Washington, US

I use myspace as a networking tool, but not like that guy. He IS a tool.

Sep 28 07 03:16 am Link

Photographer

FuryianFyre

Martin, Tennessee, US

I think that "networking" is just what it is. The forum for doing it is what changes. The basic fact is integrity wins out in the end. If the photographer is legitimate, then respect for the subject will follow regardless of the avenue he's/she's gone down to get his/her models. If the photographer lacks integrity - the respect for the model won't be there regardless of where the model is solicited.

Sep 28 07 03:42 am Link

Photographer

Jake Garn

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

The question really boils down to whether or not you want to be considered a professional model.  If you do then plan on one of two things, giving your phone number out to potential clients or hiring a manager to answer your phone calls.  If you ask me it is pretty paranoid not to give out a phone number for privacy concerns. To me it is not unlike someone walking into a business, applying for a job, filling out the application, and leaving the phone number blank because they don't "know" you.  Guess where that application goes?  No offense, but get over yourself, if you think someone is a creep don't communicate with them at all, if you don't think they are then don't automatically treat everyone as a potential stalker. It's extremely unprofessional and kind of odd.

Sep 28 07 06:18 am Link

Photographer

BlueCheckMafia

White Plains, New York, US

The age of the photographer, whether they are an amateur or a professional, on myspace, model mayhem, OMP.... who cares???  The issues here are whether they are good.  Whether their work stands by itself for something.

I am on all three websites but use myspace to network and find models I have not worked with before....  or new models NOT on the modeling sites for a fresh new look.  I get asked whether I am a "real" photographer all the time and just take it for ignorance. 

My myspace page has me listed as a photographer and states that I am married and offers another look at my portfolio with additional pics, plus I am linked to all the agencies I work with as well as many of the models here as well.

I don't think it matters where you are listed if people pay attention they can speak to people on your friends list on any site and inquire about you without insulting you or your work.  Plus I know many professional magazine photographers who are on myspace including ones who shoot for Maxim... sadl to say I am not one of them.    :-)

Sep 28 07 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Fernon

Annapolis, Maryland, US

Distortion Forge wrote:
I use myspace as a networking tool, but not like that guy. He IS a tool.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Sep 28 07 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Stabbity Photography

Fredericksburg, Indiana, US

Envy wrote:

Age has absolutely nothing to do with someones ability to produce quality work or their professionalism.
There are some 17 years olds here who put people who claim to have 25 years experience to shame.
Some people don't know about resources such as OMP or Model Mayhem.

Ain't that the truth. search lara jade. She puts many to shame. Age is irrelevant.

Sep 28 07 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Storm Surge Photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I use myspace a lot for keeping in touch with bands I want to shoot with. Most of the time, Im never going to get a conversation with them before during or after the shoot and they may not even know Im at their show.

But thats a very different situation than what youre describing. I myspace messaged a model yesterday. She is a friend of a friend and our mutual friend sent me to her. It was only an introduction and I was using her best friend as a reference. Still different, but like others have said, do-able.

Sep 28 07 08:25 am Link

Model

Selena St James

Sexy Nesha wrote:

Ummm his company did lol

I think I know who you were talking about...that particular photog sent me the same questions.  I just gave him my email and he stated that although the email would work if he was by his computer....but needed my number if he was traveling.  I told him that if he wanted to shoot with me and he knew he was going to be within my area maybe then I'd give him my number, but until then...not going to happen.  A week later he send me another email stating "name, phone, contact info" just as before.  I never responded.

Sep 28 07 10:21 am Link

Model

Sexy Nesha

Oakland, California, US

Selena J wrote:

I think I know who you were talking about...that particular photog sent me the same questions.  I just gave him my email and he stated that although the email would work if he was by his computer....but needed my number if he was traveling.  I told him that if he wanted to shoot with me and he knew he was going to be within my area maybe then I'd give him my number, but until then...not going to happen.  A week later he send me another email stating "name, phone, contact info" just as before.  I never responded.

See Im glad some ppl understand my claim about this guy. It seens like the last few ppl that have responed have so much negativity about how I stated his age and such. What they need to know is MYSPACE has FAKE photographers and models. There are guys stealing pictures off other girls and REAL photographers sites and take credit for it.

Sep 28 07 01:09 pm Link

Model

Sexy Nesha

Oakland, California, US

Jake Garn wrote:
The question really boils down to whether or not you want to be considered a professional model.  If you do then plan on one of two things, giving your phone number out to potential clients or hiring a manager to answer your phone calls.  If you ask me it is pretty paranoid not to give out a phone number for privacy concerns. To me it is not unlike someone walking into a business, applying for a job, filling out the application, and leaving the phone number blank because they don't "know" you.  Guess where that application goes?  No offense, but get over yourself, if you think someone is a creep don't communicate with them at all, if you don't think they are then don't automatically treat everyone as a potential stalker. It's extremely unprofessional and kind of odd.

Since I made this topic I have been getting tons of messages from other models who this guy has contacted and they felt exactly the same way I did. He contacted them with the same message and rude response. Me giving my number to a photog who does not have references makes me leery of his creditability. My pics have been stole from the site buy "Photogs" or "Model Companys" whom were not real that had friend requested me. So me saying his age means this, he is a young guy who just wants to hook up with girls that are models and hides behind the "Im A photographer" aliais. Im not judging him, I can just read in between the lines.  I know some young photographers who are awsome.

Sep 28 07 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Cat Lemus

Orlando, Florida, US

You know David La Chapelle did a casting for a model for his work recently through MYSPACE.... not MM, not OMP, but Myspace.
If someone requests a shoot with you there ask for references, a website... all that jazz but most of us have a myspace and aren't "trolls"

p.s. - I'm 21 and that age comment was kind of inappropriate

Sep 28 07 01:23 pm Link